Lab Rats 2 - Down to Business (v0.17.1, 8/6/2019)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Lab Rats 2 - Down to Business (v0.15.1, 8/4/2019)

Postby Briheas » Sat May 04, 2019 8:49 pm

It seems I forgot to post my thoughts on the side effects. Oops.

My original thought of how side effects worked were wrong - I had thought that the side effects were randomly generated per dose rather than being attached to the serum itself. But since they're rolled on when the serum is created... what is preventing me from continually recreating the same serum over and over until RNG decides to give me a serum free of side effects? In this case, it's the opposite of what I said previously - if the side effect chance isn't 100%, it might as well be 0%, because I can keep trying over and over until I get a serum with no side effects. A side effect chance of 50% doesn't mean my serum has a 50% chance of having a side effect. It means I have to (on average) create the serum twice before I get a serum without side effects.

Ultimately, side effects just seem to be there to lengthen the R&D process. Which isn't a bad thing, since R&D did run out of things to do before. But it seems to be an overly complicated mechanic that can be pretty much nullified with the right strategy and time.
Briheas

Re: Lab Rats 2 - Down to Business (v0.15.1, 8/4/2019)

Postby vrengames » Wed May 08, 2019 8:23 am

Lab Rats 2 v0.16.1 is finished! Grab it here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/lab-rats-2-v0-16-26698890

Lab Rats 2 v0.16.1 is finished and ready for it's public release! This update cycle had two major components: first, character titles were introduced and integrated with all of the existing dialogue and narration for the game. Second, rendering support and a collection of initial designs were added for clothing patterns. On top of that there has been a major optimization made for the start up time of the game, new clothing items and a hair style have been added, and a bunch of bugs have been tracked down and squashed.

Character titles have replaced all of the direct uses of a characters name in Lab Rats 2. A character title can be thought of as the name you know that person by, or the name you are choosing to call them. For most characters this is the same as their first name, but others may prefer a more formal title such as "Mrs.Girl". As you corrupt a girl there will be more titles she thinks are acceptable for her. Girls also each have a title they use for the main character in a similar way. Your mother might call you "Sweetheart" or "Son", while your employees may call you "Sir", or "Boss". Finally, there are used in narration when talking about a girl in relation to you; "your employee" or "your friend". Character titles are now formatted throughout the game to use the same colour and font as that character's dialogue. While looking through menus or reading through narration it is much easier to remember what character is being talked about. Character interaction menus have been updated at the same time, showing previews of people when you hover over their names.

Rendering support for patterns as well as an initial collection of designs usable by clothing items have been added to the game. A pattern is a section of an existing piece of clothing that can be drawn as a different colour. Patterns make use of a mask to recolour clothing, which makes them faster to generate image sets for, faster to display on screen, and a smaller file size when added to the game. Going forward more clothing items will receive pattern variants as a way of increasing the variety in the game without significantly increasing file size. This new functionality called for a redesign of the outfit designer, which has been significantly improved. When selecting a pattern you can now alternate between changing the primary or secondary colour. A colour swatch has also been added to let you store and load colours by right or left clicking on the spaces available. These colours are saved and persistent between games, so you can now match colours for different pieces of clothing or create themed uniforms.

Lastly, the release of the v0.16 update will mark the start of phase 2 of Lab Rats 2 development. Previous updates have been focused on the internal mechanical support for a number of different game mechanics: dynamic outfits, character personalities, goals, etc. Future updates will now focus on introducing new, unique characters and producing a detailed storyline to make use of all of these mechanics and tie the game together. Rendering improvements will also be taking top priority. Facial styles and emotions in particular are going to be reworked completely to achieve better results. New body types/models will also be worked on to widen the variety of base bodies in the game. Lab Rats 2 characters may have a different style than they did in Lab Rats 1, but I want to achieve the same level of quality with them.

And before I forget, the changelog (v0.15.1 to v0.16.1):
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

*CHANGES AND ADDITIONS*
- Initial game startup speed has been massively improved. Startup times reduced to between 5 and 10 seconds.
- Added concept of character titles. Each character has a title for themselves and a title for you.
- Character titles are used inside of dialogue in places where their names would previously have been used.
- MC titles are used inside of dialogue in places where the main character's title would previously have been used.
- Added character possessive titles. Possesive titles are used in narration when describing a character's relationship to you.
- Added initial list of titles for each of the three types.
- Each personality can now add their own titles to the general master list a character picks from.
- Character titles and possessive titles now recieve the same formatting the character's dialogue does during narration.
- Character titles and possessive titles now recieve the same formatting when used inside of menus.
- Added ability to talk to a character and change their titles directly. Requires a minimum of 120 obedience.
- Characters now have a random chance to want to reassess their titles when you talk to them.
- Low obedience characters will demand you use a new title or be unhappy. Moderate obedience give you a choice between two they like, but will keep their old title if you wish. High obedience characters give you complete control and are happy no matter what you pick.
- Added "Business Vest" clothing item.
- Added "Strapless Bra" clothing item.
- Added "Bobbed Hair" hairstyle.
- Added rendering support for "patterns". A pattern is a section of an existing clothing item that can be coloured a secondary colour.
- Six initial patterns added for testing:
- Bra now has "lacy" patern, colours lace separately from entire bra.
- Sports bra has been rerendered to remove clipping and now has "two toned" pattern, which recolours the strapping.
- Sweater dress now has two toned pattern and a star pattern,
- Tshirt now has a striped pattern.
- The tied sweater now has a two toned pattern.
- Added .xml export and import support for patterns. (Add outfit exports to the wardrobe.xml file to add them into your game permanently)
- Outfit creator redesigned.
- Outfit creator now supports patterns. When a pattern is selected you can also select if you are modifying the primary or secondary colour.
- Outfit creator now has a colour swatch. Right click on a colour square to save your currently selected colour. Left click to load the colour loaded in that square. The colour swatch is persistant between games.
- Redid graphics for outfit designer tutorial to match new outfit creator design.
- End of day report now refers to characters by their title.
- Unmet characters no longer report potentially raised sluttiness in the end of day report.
- "Talk to someone" menu and similarly styled menus now provide a preview of the person when the button is hovered.
- Added several more character titles, possessive titles, and MC titles.
- Broken AC crisis now lists requirement for uniform policy to order people to strip down in the heat.
- Serum designer now separates out serum production traits to make it clear that they are required and different.
- Rerendered long sweater dress and Belted skirt to be monotone by default.
- Added new two tone pattern for long tshirt.
- Added new two tone pattern for camisole.
- Added new two tone pattern for belted skirt.
- Added new two tone pattern for sneakers.
- Added new two tone pattern for garterbelt and fishnets.
- Adjusted several whiteness and contrast values for clothing pieces to equalize brightness.
- Added new deepthroat description branch.

*BUG FIXES*
- Fixed several spelling mistakes throughout the game.
- Libido inhibitor side effect no longer adds far more sluttiness than it should.
- Fixed hair colours of some characters being incorrect when new characters were generated.
- Fixed some serum trait combinations resulting in a final production cost of 0 (And crashing things later)
- Fixed serum designs being allowed to progress when they lacked any production trait.
- Fixed performance reviews being possible for completely new employees.
- Lily's morning encounter no longer leaves up her detailed UI when the encounter is over.
vrengames

Re: Lab Rats 2 - Down to Business (v0.16.1, 8/5/2019)

Postby RunningAroundInCircles » Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Couple things that I noticed.

- Character titles don't change correctly in events or rather stay unchanged if you intendet to change them
- Characters will alter outfits assigned to them. When they undress, the outfit is overwritten with the now missing part... and bodily fluits on top. I don't think that's intended
- Random events occur far to rear. I get an office event once about every 3 or 4 weeks
- You can scedule an infinite amount of dates on a single friday... with the same girl
I NEVER run against walls.
RunningAroundInCircles

Postby MaxTheDark » Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am

The game seems to load up faster

Asking if we want to lose unsaved progress while loading the game just after starting it is still slightly redundant.

My company got foreclosed 3 days after being in the minus. I get you need some sort of reason to stay above the line, but suddenly getting 'your story ends here' after 3 days is a little... rushed?

The way people are referred to as 'Your mom' or 'Your friend' are okay, but they should use the same font as the sentence itself to blend in better. Also, when having sex with a girl, having her referred to as 'Your Friend' or whatever feels unnatural, maybe just 'She'?

Ability to sneakily add serum to girls' drinks and food is cool, but maybe run a check if we have any serum worthy of adding in inventory, before offering us the choice? It's really annoying, like the game tries to desperately push for a mechanic to be used, regardless of whether it's possible.

The feed at bottom right covers feet, can it have a Hide button by any chance?

Cum looks rather watery

Still that annoying Kubrick stare from almost all the girls. I don't think I can ask you to re-model all the characters, but if there was one thing I'd like to see fixed it would be this.

To be honest, the biggest problem is, the game almost doesn't have anything to reward you with, sex-wise. Once you've seen an animation with one girl, you've seen them all. And this is the problem I think - the way the game is made I can imagine it hard if not impossible to add new positions, and the old ones are bland as hell. Compare with Glassix, which has fully modelled scenes.
Also, I'm pretty sure that's not what pilediver looks like.
I believe text dump is not a valid form of storytelling in video games. Video games are for interaction, not reading, therefore the story should be woven into gameplay instead.
MaxTheDark

Postby Lex_Liven » Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 am

Does Vrenn read any messages here?

Daily Statistics misses one improtant number: Daily raw supplies cost.
For balance: Income$ = Sales$ - Salary$ - Raw$

Almost all text fields require scrollbars.

City map doesn't need «Return» button. One click to travel would be much more nice.

Partially rollback is frustrating. It would be better to disable it at all.

Mom, sis and Steph are special characters. They deserve special appearance. At least unique faces.
Faces from previous game would be great.

What for «Examine room» option is there? It does nothing. It says «from here you can go...» but I have a map, and there is no limits to go anywhere in no time.

It would be cool to see employee's «photo» in staff review and hiring interface. Only face for «official» appearance. Full photo in hiring would be a business policy.

Will «do something» button do anything in any non business location?

Standar renpy's buttons «back/history/prefs» want their own place in interface.

All girls need a possibility to improve their main stats. I love Stephanie but she turns to ineffective worker after first recruitment skill policy.

I can buy 4th production line but there is only 3 places in the interface. 4th line is out of FullHD screen bounds by a half.

History has oversized font.
I'm not sure my english is good, I'm russian. So I'll be please if you will correct me ;) Thank you for understanding.
Lex_Liven

Postby vrengames » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am

Lab Rats 2 v0.17.0 is finished and ready for it's week of bug testing! Get it here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/lab-rats-2-v0-17-27294654

Version 0.17 is the first update of phase two of development for Lab Rats 2. Phase two is focused on introducing new unique characters, writing story arcs for these characters, and in generating content for existing systems within the game. This update introduces two characters into the game world: Rebecca, your aunt, and Gabrielle, your cousin. When your aunt falls on hard times she turns to you and your family to take her in and give her a chance to get back on her feet. Your loner cousin, dragged along through this ordeal, is less than happy about the arrangement and perfectly willing to make that clear. Both characters have storyline events, locations, and action that can present interesting and effective ways to corrupt them.

Continuing with the theme of producing more content for existing systems, a bunch of clothing items have received new colouring patterns, allowing for more business uniform or character wardrobe customisation. Rendering for a few brand new pieces of clothing has also been done. In total seven new patterns have been added, two clothing items have been re-rendered, a new hair style has been added, and a new piece of underwear has ben added. More rendering is planned for the coming days before the public release of v0.17.

Lastly, there have been a handful of changes and improvements that don't fall into any broad category. Tooltips have been added to a number of actions to better explain them. A new personality type has been written to expand the variation in dialogue throughout the game. The way sluttiness is increased has been tweaked to make it possible, though slow, to corrupt a girl without any use of your mind altering serum. The changes also make sluttiness increases more consistent and less dependent on serum in general. And finally, across the entire game there have been bug fixes.

I hope you enjoy the new version and the new characters introduced! Here's a changelog going from v0.16.1 to v0.17.0:

*CHANGES AND ADDITIONS*
- Employees will no longer quit during the weekend.
- Thong pattern 1 added
- Lace bra pattern 1 added
- Corset pattern 1 added
- Lace panties pattern 1 added
- Rerendering bobbed and bow hair
- Long skirt being rerendered as monocromatic
- Long Tshirt was rerendered as monocromatic
- Cotton panties added
- Thin panties pattern 1 added
- Added bobbed hair style.
- Improved hair style contrast.
- Added Cousin (Gabrielle) character.
- Added Aunt (Rebecca) character.
- Added Starting wardrobe for Gabrielle.
- Added starting wardrobe for Rebecca.
- Added new "Introvert" personality type and associated dialogue.
- Map screen now uses hex co-ords instead of raw screen position. Map locations updated for new system.
- Added support for events triggered when you enter the same room as someone.
- Added support for events triggered when you start an interaction with someone.
- Added long chain of aunt introduction events.
- Added action for helping your aunt move.
- Added long chain of cousin introduction events.
- Added cousin blackmail related events.
- Added event for sharing drinks with your aunt.
- Temporary sluttiness is now uncapped (was previously capped at core+suggestability+10)
- Temporary sluttiness above core+suggestability+10 returns to normal "core" amount very quickly.
- Temporary sluttiness above core but within core+suggestability+10 converts to core sluttiness, with a suggestability% chance each turn to change 3 temporary into 3 core.
- Temporary sluttiness 5 or more above core+suggestability+10 converts 5 temporary sluttiness into 1 core sluttiness. Serum use makes corruption faster and more efficent, but is not strictly nessesary.
- Adjusted blue and red character fonts to be lighter and more readable.
- Long sweater pattern 1 added
- Strapless Bra pattern 1 added
- Added a tooltip to serum produciton line screen explaining production weight and autosell thresholds.
- Added indication that giving a performance review will take a turn.

*BUG FIXES*
- Fixed incorrect call to mc_title variable in personality dialogue.
- Fixed function typo in mom texting random event that was causing a crash.
- Fixed dialogue typos.
- Removed ability to schedule multiple dates for the end of the week, including multiple dates with the same person.
- Changed home front hall image from old apartment lobby image to new living room image.
- It is no longer possible to bring up the goal screen while in the map movement screen.
vrengames

Postby vrengames » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 am

Lab Rats 2 v0.17.1 is out and available to everyone! You can find the download links here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/lab-rats-2-v0-17-27457788

LR2 v0.17.1 marks the beginning of phase two of development. Phase two is focused on introducing new characters, writing story arcs for these characters, and generating new content for existing systems. To kick this off this update introduces two new family members: Rebecca and Gabrielle, your aunt and cousin. When your aunt falls on hard times you and your family take her in and give her a chance to get back on her feet. Your loner cousin, dragged along through the ordeal, is less than happy about the arrangement and makes it abundantly clear. Both characters have storyline events, locations, and actions that can present interesting and effective ways to corrupt them.

In addition to this new story based content there have been changes, additions, and fixes to a wide range of systems in the game. The corruption system has been tweaked to allow sluttiness, one measure of a girls corruption, to be increased slowly without any use of mind altering serum. There have been a number of new patterns added for different pieces of clothing, and a couple have been rerendered to fix issues with clipping. Internally new systems have been added to allow for events to take place when you enter a location or begin talking to the person, both of which are already in use with some new events. Tooltips have been added in some places, the map screen has been tidied up, and new personality type has been added.

Enjoy the update!

*CHANGES AND ADDITIONS*
- Employees will no longer quit during the weekend.
- Thong pattern 1 added
- Lace bra pattern 1 added
- Corset pattern 1 added
- Lace panties pattern 1 added
- Rerendering bobbed and bow hair
- Long skirt being rerendered as monocromatic
- Long Tshirt was rerendered as monocromatic
- Cotton panties added
- Thin panties pattern 1 added
- Added bobbed hair style.
- Improved hair style contrast.
- Added Cousin (Gabrielle) character.
- Added Aunt (Rebecca) character.
- Added Starting wardrobe for Gabrielle.
- Added starting wardrobe for Rebecca.
- Added new "Introvert" personality type and associated dialogue.
- Map screen now uses hex co-ords instead of raw screen position. Map locations updated for new system.
- Added support for events triggered when you enter the same room as someone.
- Added support for events triggered when you start an interaction with someone.
- Added long chain of aunt introduction events.
- Added action for helping your aunt move.
- Added long chain of cousin introduction events.
- Added cousin blackmail related events.
- Added event for sharing drinks with your aunt.
- Temporary sluttiness is now uncapped (was previously capped at core+suggestability+10)
- Temporary sluttiness above core+suggestability returns to normal "core" amount very quickly, up to 5 per turn.
- Temporary sluttiness above core but within core+suggestability converts to core sluttiness, with a suggestability % chance each turn to change 3 temporary into 3 core.
- Temporary sluttiness above core+suggestability has a chance to convert to 1 core sluttiness each turn, with an 100% chance if it is 5 or more higher. Serum use makes corruption faster and more efficent, but is not strictly nessesary.
- Adjusted blue and red character fonts to be lighter and more readable.
- Long sweater pattern 1 added
- Strapless Bra pattern 1 added
- Added a tooltip to serum produciton line screen explaining production weight and autosell thresholds.
- Added indication that giving a performance review will take a turn.

*BUG FIXES*
- Fixed incorrect call to mc_title variable in personality dialogue.
- Fixed function typo in mom texting random event that was causing a crash.
- Fixed dialogue typos.
- Removed ability to schedule multiple dates for the end of the week, including multiple dates with the same person.
- Changed home front hall image from old apartment lobby image to new living room image.
- It is no longer possible to bring up the goal screen while in the map movement screen.
vrengames

Previous

Return to Non-Flash Projects