A tip for Ren

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Re: A tip for Ren

Postby spartan117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:09 am

Ive been here since this forum started. This game will never be made. Its hard to keep people waiting when theres not even a v.03 in 2 years, theres nothing. I spend more time in the creative corner where people are actually making progress.
spartan117

Postby Smackman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm

yep i assumed the project was disbanded until last week. i dont really think its going to get finished, 2 years from now theyre going to post 0.3 and its going to be the same game up to the redeye with some shit redrawn.. i should have just taken up flash the moment i saw playshapes' game lol, i considered it before seeing this forum and kind of figured too many people were working on it already
Suraru Wrote:Hey smackman, I've decided your a douchebag :P

OMG IM SO HURT *Whatever*
Trolololololo
Smackman

Postby BlueLight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:55 pm

God you people. I study logic and there is only one word to describe you people.
"Lieing sacks of scum" Might sound harsh but believe me, my logic teach calls "everyone" a "lieing sack of scum".
This could be completed there fore you can not say "never".
"Never" is a bolean. Something wont or it will. If you said "its not very likely the game would be completed" than you would be correct. Saying likely means you have more than 0% chance and less than 100% chance of it being correct.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby GoRepeat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Four pages and all I am taking away from this thread is: Everyone should be like me!

My name is Gorepete, and I approve this message.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby spartan117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Gorepete Wrote:Four pages and all I am taking away from this thread is: Everyone should be like me!

Yes, your probably the only person making progress on this site anymore! looking forward to the completion of your next project! looks great so far!!
spartan117

Postby BlueLight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 pm

spartan117 Wrote:
Gorepete Wrote:Four pages and all I am taking away from this thread is: Everyone should be like me!

Yes, your probably the only person making progress on this site anymore! looking forward to the completion of your next project! looks great so far!!

Weak argument! thus it is uncogent.
BlueLight

Postby Thaedael » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 pm

My name is Thaedael, I approve of this message and this work ethic.
Thaedael

Postby GoRepeat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 pm

spartan117 Wrote:

Eh I disagree with that. A lot of people don't realize that getting the base mechanics / coding is the "knot" of the proverbial "dog cock" of making a flash game. It isn't really a linear progress thing... its not like coding and writing and animating all take the same amount of time. I totally buy that if Ren is working on base mechanics, there really aren't any previews for us to see and although it doesn't seem like it, huge progress is being made.

Think about Dusty's Castle. It took like.... three months (?) I think to put together. Two months of that was putting in the game's code framework. Then I just dumped in a bunch of puzzle sequences on top of it and finished it in no time. People watching the stream saw that I made the entire sloth chain and animation in like... 2 days... after the code was already in place. Once the triggers and sequence coding was in, it was just a matter of doodling objects, stuffing Dusty's Va-Jay-Jay, and dropping it all on top.

Game progression looks something like this:

|----------------------------------------------------------making code framework-----------------------------------------------------------------------||--animations--|

Remember that all animations, conversations, plot moments, sequences, art, etc are all essentially the exact same thing to the game (they just look different to us). The game doesn't know if Krystal is banging a lizard man or a horse, it just needs to know to play x clip at y moment. Bulk of the work is really, really, really boring :lol:

My name is Thaedael, I approve of this message and this work ethic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: <3
GoRepeat

Postby BlueLight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 am

I've got about 5 MB of pure code for my game and it does nothing impressive.
I would love to compare it to gore code but because of how different languages compile we wouldn't get a good idea who's code is bigger.
Anyways i would have to say most of the size in gores game is likely the graphics but the code to control them can be quite annoying.
BlueLight

Postby Thaedael » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 am

Gorepete. Can you do me a favor, can you just write like a giant article about what goes into your planning, how long planning takes out, how long animation takes out, etc. Then like I can pin it and one someone says "its just an idea why is it so hard to get it done" ill just link them to that with a dissapoint.gif or something? Hell it was a pain in the ass working on ascension, and that was a multi man team, it was a pain in the ass working on area_52 and it would've gotten done too had the damn programmers computer not ass-ploded. I can't imagine doing it alone mad props.

Edit; hell my current project is in game maker, I am about 7 weeks in hundreds of lines of code, and only two graphics to show for it psh.
Thaedael

Postby BlueLight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am

Thaedael Wrote:Gorepete. Can you do me a favor, can you just write like a giant article about what goes into your planning, how long planning takes out, how long animation takes out, etc. Then like I can pin it and one someone says "its just an idea why is it so hard to get it done" ill just link them to that with a dissapoint.gif or something? Hell it was a pain in the ass working on ascension, and that was a multi man team, it was a pain in the ass working on area_52 and it would've gotten done too had the damn programmers computer not ass-ploded. I can't imagine doing it alone mad props.

Edit; hell my current project is in game maker, I am about 7 weeks in hundreds of lines of code, and only two graphics to show for it psh.

I agree with the first statement.

hundreds?... Want to see my GUI class file? I think i'm up to 14 hundred.
Some of that is formatting and comments however.
BlueLight

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 am

I'm not going to say getting the right code isn't the most important part or anything like that, I just want to say compare the times we are looking at here. Gore did a full game in about 3 months. Ren is up to 2 years and still doesn't have the code ready, and he doesn't need eggplants to do all the artwork to be able to visually test the game, he can use the original models as fillers for that.

Here's my proposal.

Ren, if you have time, post a run down of stuff going into the game, all the mechanics you are working on for the engine, what you need it to do to be complete. Also list what's done and what still needs work. I know you did a post like that once last year, so I think an update is fair.

Gore, and anyone else that knows how to code, give some feedback on Ren's post, tell everyone how hard or easy doing 'this' or 'that' actually is. Or even better share some coding suggestions to accomplish certain things, if you haven't already.

This way we get some idea of where the engine is at, we get other coders that would be filling in everyone else that doesn't know a damn thing about making a game engine, and they might even offer some help to speed things up a bit. If anyone sees a problem with this suggestion, then say so.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Yawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:23 am

The only problem *I* have with that suggestion is how reasonable it sounded. Coming from you.

There was like, no rage or hostility at all.

... are you okay, Trunks?
Yawg

Postby Thaedael » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:38 am

Trunks is in on the secret yawg, he knows its all just a Legend.... a Legend of Krysta :O he is the only reasonable/sane person here =P. That being said let Ren do his thing, nothing is stopping other people from working on the game themselves as been discussed many times before. Hell area_52 was formed because some people didn't want to wait remember!
Thaedael

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am

*Sigh* is that all I am to you guys? A hollow being of rage and anger?

Don't answer that.

I could always edit my post to make it sound like a challenge or something, put in 'accept my idea IF YOU DARE!'

But, seriously I'm just trying to offer an idea that will help produce some kinda results. I save my anger for bullshit posts.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Renara » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Woah, trunks being really nice and everyone else flaming each other, that was unexpected :P

trunks2585 Wrote:post a run down of stuff going into the game, all the mechanics you are working on for the engine, what you need it to do to be complete

Right, hmm… I'm going to have to come back to give a list of specifics, but to give people an idea… the LoK game engine is… well not be too grandiose, but… a game engine; it's intended to be capable of doing nearly everything dynamically, and probably with far more control and detail than needed. For example, instead of "simple" scene movement with Krystal either hard-coded in how/where she can move, or using hit-tests on certain objects (floors, obstructions), it has a physics engine. This is almost certainly overkill, but it also never progressed too far, as I did mostly stop work on it after it could handle basic movement, but the point of it is that it can quite happily handle multiple moving characters on all kinds of complex 3D surfaces, and very efficiently.
Another example would be the core stuff; fortunately this had most overlap with other (paid) ActionScript projects I've had, so any work on it is work on LoK to some degree, it's almost essentially complete (it does everything that LoK should need for now). But basically it handles things like simulating multi-threading (so the game can perform behind the scenes processing efficiently without interfering with frame-rate). It also prevents things like costly polling of values by instead dispatching events, all that kind of groundwork. Another key area is level of detail; not strictly required in the short-term, but it affects many parts of the game and how it is constructed, as it basically scales the detail on anything and everything by enabling/disabling features to keep the game running smoothly, while allowing everyone to play it with the highest level of detail it can give. This is mainly because the idea is that future versions of LoK will be as detailed as they can be, which means that only high-end machines would be able to run it without level of detail kicking in to keep it running for everyone; it's not something that demos or early builds need, but at the same time, it'd be a waste of time to build content that might need important changes (or even redone) in order to run smoothly with LOD enabled.

Anyway, this is just a few bits to give an idea of what it is intended to do, which hopefully clarifies why it's no small undertaking! I'll swing by again later to try and do a more complete list rather than the couple of rambling paragraphs above :)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Thaedael » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Dear Renara, I love you. Dear Trunks I love you. Eggplants? Don't know if I love him but whatever. Just work as a team again please =P
Thaedael

Postby GoRepeat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:14 am

Thaedael Wrote:Dear Renara, I love you. Dear Trunks I love you. Eggplants? Don't know if I love him but whatever. Just work as a team again please =P

I love Eggplants and you love me, ergo by the transitive property, you love Eggplants!
GoRepeat

Postby BlueLight » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 am

Gorepete Wrote:
Thaedael Wrote:Dear Renara, I love you. Dear Trunks I love you. Eggplants? Don't know if I love him but whatever. Just work as a team again please =P

I love Eggplants and you love me, ergo by the transitive property, you love Eggplants!

This is sound logic. If you want i can prove it.
BlueLight

Postby Thaedael » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:36 am

I know I shouldn't go off-topic, and I rarely do it being the martial side of the forums, however I just have to bite your bait gorepete. If you have weird transient properties where I come to love things you love, does that mean I should stop loving you for fear of you liking something creepy :O?

Edit; sniped by bluelight. Seriously bro just stop with the logic =P
Thaedael

PreviousNext

Return to Legend of Krystal