OpenGL/GPU issue

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

OpenGL/GPU issue

Postby musical74 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:30 am

Really not sure where to put this, so I'll just put it here. Tried to play a game that uses OpenGL, and it said what I had was insufficient. No worries, I'll just update it... or so I thought. Turns out I don't HAVE OpenGL on my computer, at all. Computer is around a 2016 laptop so I should have something for OpenGL but when I searched the right area it doesn't have it at all. Is this something I can get, or is it because of the drivers I have it's impossible to get? Seem to be able to play other stuff flawlessly so not sure why I don't have a GPU on my computer. Display adapter is a Intel HD Graphics 3000 if that tells you guys and gals anything. Is this a case of "No OpenGL for you!!" or what?
musical74

Re: OpenGL/GPU issue

Postby kvier » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:30 pm

"HD Graphics 3000" implies Sandy Bridge; Sandy Bridge came out in 2011. How did you get a CPU from 2011 in a new laptop in 2016?

Windows 10 threw away the OpenGL3.1 support that was present in the driver for Windows8.1: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics ... d-p/623847 this link also maybe provides workarounds.
kvier

Postby musical74 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:28 am

Regarding the CPU, I ordinarily don't even bother checking what the graphics adapter is, It wasn't until 2018 that I really paid any attention to it. Oh! It's also a Windows 7 professional (I didn't want Windows 8!) Does that mean anything?

Thanks for the response, I was half expecting this to be a "can't help ya" type of thing!
musical74

Postby kvier » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 pm

If you're still running Windows 7 you shouldn't be having any problems, I think. You should have OpenGL3.1 support on both 7 and 8.1... I suppose you could try see if reinstalling the driver helps at all?
kvier

Postby musical74 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 am

Tried reinstalling the drivers, it didn't seem to work. Go to OpenGL website, but since I have Intel and not NVidia drivers it seems to kind of dead end at the Intel website. Any ideas on how to get this weird error fixed??
musical74

Postby kvier » Sun May 02, 2021 12:07 am

Since you say it's a laptop, theoretically you should download the drivers from your specific laptop manufacturer.

If you can't find them, the drivers for it on Intel's web site are here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... -3000.html
kvier

Return to General