Converting Flash assets into Images

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Converting Flash assets into Images

Postby Onimiv » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Say you want to convert some assets from Flash animations/games into images you can use anywhere. (make sure you have the rights to said assets or they are freely available)

For example, I'll use Adobe Flash CS6 and JPEXS-Decompiler to get a tail from Playshapes Katt.fla. Each "character" (in this case, Katt) can have one, or more, shape/image per body-part if they are digital cutout animations.

Publish FLA files with Adobe Flash, to create SWF files.

You have 2 options to export to images:
  • Use Adobe Flash (for exporting to Raster Images, like PNG)
    Spoiler (click to show/hide):

export1.png
    Export using Adobe Flash CS6

• Use a Flash Decompiler (for exporting assets from SWF files as Raster or Vector Images, as in SVG)

export2.png
    Export using JPEXS-Decompiler

If you export as SVG you can see it in a vector graphics editor (such as Inkscape) and some image viewers.

export3.png
SVG in Inkscape
export3.png (64.15 KiB) Viewed 2870 times

Or, if you export to a raster image, any image viewer. However these are not independent from the resolution and can't scale.

Katt.png
PNG
Katt.png (15.88 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

And now you can use those assets outside of Flash. Since Adobe Flash was replaced by Adobe Animate it should be able to do the same.
Note that you can use these methods for other file types (sound, etc) but it is easier as there is no need to worry about the format.
"Hold me Gently, ​Kiss me Plenty!"
A.K.A. Titilonic

Find me Here
"I agree with that Onim person" ='D
Onimiv

Re: Converting Flash assets into Images

Postby Waffle » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:19 pm

I found that sometimes... gamemaker can convert swf files to images. It does this by "importing" them, and then re-rendering them out ... tricky, but can be done it you don't have flash.
Waffle

Postby Onimiv » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Waffle Wrote:I found that sometimes... gamemaker can convert swf files to images. It does this by "importing" them, and then re-rendering them out ... tricky, but can be done it you don't have flash.

Godot does the same (always). It's a way to support vector graphics (SVG) while maintaining the speed of using raster graphics (ex: PNG). Of course its converter may not handle some things (newgrounds).
"Hold me Gently, ​Kiss me Plenty!"
A.K.A. Titilonic

Find me Here
"I agree with that Onim person" ='D
Onimiv

Postby Waffle » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:15 am

cool, I just started learning godot this year, I'll have to add that to my experiment list ;)
Waffle

Return to Tutorials