Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower!

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower!

Postby Bunnyav » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 am

Got a tiny quibble for you. When you use a milk bottle to feed a child, you don't get the bottle back to refill. that feels a bit pricey for a mother of 6+ cat babies. I know I can cheat and milk bottles magically materialize in the nursery if you don't have one, but I wanted my investment in the milking machine to be worthwhile.
Bunnyav

Postby musical74 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:19 am

I ran into a game-breaking bug. When working for the kitchen, pantry, and the imps are around...it freezes up at :58 (ie right at the start) Tried it 4 times and each yime the game just froze up. Didn't do it with "no imps" so not sure what causes it to freeze up like that...

Got impregnated by a slime (intentional), Olivia's had a few rounds of giving birth to slimes, but there doesn't seem to be any way to feed the slimes. Her milk just keeps going up, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to do something to feed the slime babies, or what.
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Bunnyav Wrote:Got a tiny quibble for you. When you use a milk bottle to feed a child, you don't get the bottle back to refill. that feels a bit pricey for a mother of 6+ cat babies. I know I can cheat and milk bottles magically materialize in the nursery if you don't have one, but I wanted my investment in the milking machine to be worthwhile.

It's less they pop out of nowhere, and more the neko babies are getting it right from the source, if you know what I mean! But that's a good idea, as it would make it easier to care for babies in general, and it's not like it would effect sale price or such since milk is a (semi) limited resource!

musical74 Wrote:I ran into a game-breaking bug. When working for the kitchen, pantry, and the imps are around...it freezes up at :58 (ie right at the start) Tried it 4 times and each yime the game just froze up. Didn't do it with "no imps" so not sure what causes it to freeze up like that...

Got impregnated by a slime (intentional), Olivia's had a few rounds of giving birth to slimes, but there doesn't seem to be any way to feed the slimes. Her milk just keeps going up, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to do something to feed the slime babies, or what.

I had that same bug pop up on my test save! For some reason it fixed itself after I played an easy mode with no imps and did some other stuff.

The baby slimes essentially flee without the chance to feed them. Unlike the Imp babies they have more of a self-preservation sense, and probably run off to hide in a drain or something. I'm thinking of doing some slime varients (and perhaps even a system to breed/crossbreed slimes into new monsters!) so possibly there will be a modified system for growth and development that would, for sure, involving feeding them.

Some small issues arise from that, primarily... Where do you put a bunch of baby slimes! (a fishtank? How do you get one? And where do you put it in the room?)
All questions for another update!
hgameartman

Postby Bunnyav » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 am

What I meant was, you can feed babies "from the source" until you've gone dry. Then it prompts you to feed the kid a milk bottle. If you have a bottle, you will use it and lose it, but if you don't, you still feed the kid.

Still haven't been able to trigger a curse after like 7+ dark choirs.

Peaking on the Librarian in her room caused my purity/corruption to exceed their current caps *-4 purity and 79 Corruption.

I figured out how to get the Anya bar scenes. The new art's nice to see but I think I'd prefer it in your own style. Now I'm curious if she gets a pregnancy storyline.
Bunnyav

Postby hgameartman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:38 am

Bunnyav Wrote:What I meant was, you can feed babies "from the source" until you've gone dry. Then it prompts you to feed the kid a milk bottle. If you have a bottle, you will use it and lose it, but if you don't, you still feed the kid.

Still haven't been able to trigger a curse after like 7+ dark choirs.

Peaking on the Librarian in her room caused my purity/corruption to exceed their current caps *-4 purity and 79 Corruption.

I figured out how to get the Anya bar scenes. The new art's nice to see but I think I'd prefer it in your own style. Now I'm curious if she gets a pregnancy storyline.

Thanks! I love the artist's style (hence why we're working together now!) but there will be plenty more of my own artwork too! I just spent the last few weeks, with a slight break thanks to a guest artist, spending time doing studies to improve my own art skills! Pregnancy is for sure planned, but there will likely be some conditions since shes's clearly capable of preventing such a thing via her potions skills. Probably something about her learning that pregnancy can increase breast size or something fun like that!

I'll look into the other issues/oddities too and see if I can debug and fix them up. The dark choir might require a 10-15 visits, but it's been a while since I implemented it so I'm not sure. I know that it slowly ramps up in stat refinements over time at least, so it would make sense for it to take a while to start unlocking curses.
hgameartman

Postby Bunnyav » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:30 am

Some other little things:
When you've had an elemental class, you can't use the training room in the morning period even when all classes are taken. The scene for "your class is finished" just shouldn't boot you outside the room.

Static cling requested 3 total Trainings. I've had at least 2 but it only counts the 1 required by my first class.

You can sell your clothes for a LOT of money. There's no reprecussions for this that I can see as long as you keep some kind of outerwear. While some scenes can tell you aren't wearing underwear, others don't.
Bunnyav

Postby hgameartman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 am

Bunnyav Wrote:Some other little things:
When you've had an elemental class, you can't use the training room in the morning period even when all classes are taken. The scene for "your class is finished" just shouldn't boot you outside the room.

Static cling requested 3 total Trainings. I've had at least 2 but it only counts the 1 required by my first class.

You can sell your clothes for a LOT of money. There's no reprecussions for this that I can see as long as you keep some kind of outerwear. While some scenes can tell you aren't wearing underwear, others don't.

Will look into those, thanks!
hgameartman

Postby musical74 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:55 am

Don't know why it worked itself out but the imp issue worked after doing easy then medium (ie, what you observed) It will occasionally freeze up when doing the pantry - it said, target onions, then that didn't quite disappear, causing the game to freeze up.

By tail end of semester 4, money isn't so dang tight, mostly because I'm doing the kitchen job just about every day. Game doesn't seem to care that I'm doing self-study over and over, maybe because it's a broad subject as opposed to specific parts? Really do like this, found it funny when Olivia looked at Anya's journal and it said "awkward lovers" :)
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:01 am

musical74 Wrote:Don't know why it worked itself out but the imp issue worked after doing easy then medium (ie, what you observed) It will occasionally freeze up when doing the pantry - it said, target onions, then that didn't quite disappear, causing the game to freeze up.

By tail end of semester 4, money isn't so dang tight, mostly because I'm doing the kitchen job just about every day. Game doesn't seem to care that I'm doing self-study over and over, maybe because it's a broad subject as opposed to specific parts? Really do like this, found it funny when Olivia looked at Anya's journal and it said "awkward lovers" :)

Yeah I'm confused about the kitchen PTJ too, especially since I haven't touched in a few updates at least (last time was, I think, corrupt church to allow for curses to affect it) Might just end up re-writing the code if I can't figure it out, as t's fairly old (wrote it back in.... november of last year? before the first release of the game even!) So It's likely I could write it to be more performant and efficient now if I can't debug the freezing issues.

All classes can be repeated indefinitely, (because otherwise one failed class can lock you out of all future ones!) but only the self-study ones cost less than you would receive in financial aid. The rest you can grab for specific stats, but most aren't worth it, PE classes aside (as they increase endurance in the intermediate level faster... but at a much higher cost!)
hgameartman

class picking problems

Postby Grimmnaka » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:03 pm

I can't seem to properly pick my classes after the first semester, The previews for classes show the entirely wrong class, and when I think I've picked them correctly the final product shows entirely different classes. I like the game and want to continue but I can't get the classes I want, how do I fix this weird bug.
Grimmnaka
Newly Registered

Postby musical74 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 am

I've found the best way is "sort by class", the bug happens less. it's rather frustrating (the dev's aware of it, I complained about it too), just have to keep trying until you get the classes you want.It may take a few tries but it will work out!

I was curious if the blessings have any real use yet. I have about 5 or 6 and only the blessing of pleasure seems to have any use, the others just seem to be "there". Blessing of Good Rest is the most "uh...what's this do? The PC never complains about feeling tired..." Are the curses the same thing, just "there" for now?

I will say I appreciate your responding to everyone's concerns and questions in a timely manner. That shows you care about making sure the players have a good time and are wanting to make sure the players understand things right. Thank you! :)
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Grimmnaka Wrote:I can't seem to properly pick my classes after the first semester, The previews for classes show the entirely wrong class, and when I think I've picked them correctly the final product shows entirely different classes. I like the game and want to continue but I can't get the classes I want, how do I fix this weird bug.

Trying to figure this one out, it's just a little strange since it's so inconsistent. I tested for 30 minutes yesterday and it didn't happen once, but I know it was happening earlier because I had it happen as well!
I'll see if I can get it fixed for next update, even if it means I have to delay releasing for a few days to debug it out.

musical74 Wrote:I've found the best way is "sort by class", the bug happens less. it's rather frustrating (the dev's aware of it, I complained about it too), just have to keep trying until you get the classes you want.It may take a few tries but it will work out!

I was curious if the blessings have any real use yet. I have about 5 or 6 and only the blessing of pleasure seems to have any use, the others just seem to be "there". Blessing of Good Rest is the most "uh...what's this do? The PC never complains about feeling tired..." Are the curses the same thing, just "there" for now?

I will say I appreciate your responding to everyone's concerns and questions in a timely manner. That shows you care about making sure the players have a good time and are wanting to make sure the players understand things right. Thank you! :)

Thanks! I'm trying my best to make a game that's interesting and fun, and how can it be interesting and fun if people are having issues or bugs! Plus other people think of things I never would have myself, which is always interesting!

As for the curses and blessings...

Several of the blessings and curses are outright useless (blessing of good sleep is one of them), several have positive effects on stats (increased max str, agility, etc), and
some (blessing of piety, curse of weakness) are detrimental.

Overal, of the 7-8 or each, I think max 3 of each are bad or do nothing. Two of them (blessing of light, curse of darkness) are going to be prereqs for dark and light magic, but those aren't implemented yet... So I guess they're also useless!

Both of those areas will be getting some updates in nearish future, probably alongside said dark/light magic updates.
hgameartman

Postby musical74 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:08 am

A couple of dungeon related things I've noticed...

In the dungeon to get to the Nekomata village, there's been a few times where I've gone to a new level and been swarmed immediately. That might be why you have the "save before entering new level", in case that happens. The other thing what when entering the breeding area at the Neko Village...it wouldn't let me move past it, it said "you can't leave in the middle of a battle!" Is the area above the breeding ground not done yet?

I wonder, if you kick the student out so a teacher catches him when you do paperwork, that after a set amount of time something else happens to where a different student needs to be hiding or something like that. After kicking the student out there wasn't any new encounters, think there should be something new each twem or something. Like have a female student hide from an overly amorous male student or something, and depending on your purity/corruption level you decide to have a little fun, or just boot the guy right out.

Oh yeah, the last thing of interest is that when doing the ptj at the pantry and essentially going right to an imp and ending the game, I was still paid the same amount as if I had tried to actually get the food. I had 4 and the game treated it as if I had tried. If you mess up the inn you get docked, is there nothing in place like that for the kitchen?
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:34 am

musical74 Wrote:A couple of dungeon related things I've noticed...

In the dungeon to get to the Nekomata village, there's been a few times where I've gone to a new level and been swarmed immediately. That might be why you have the "save before entering new level", in case that happens. The other thing what when entering the breeding area at the Neko Village...it wouldn't let me move past it, it said "you can't leave in the middle of a battle!" Is the area above the breeding ground not done yet?

I wonder, if you kick the student out so a teacher catches him when you do paperwork, that after a set amount of time something else happens to where a different student needs to be hiding or something like that. After kicking the student out there wasn't any new encounters, think there should be something new each twem or something. Like have a female student hide from an overly amorous male student or something, and depending on your purity/corruption level you decide to have a little fun, or just boot the guy right out.

Oh yeah, the last thing of interest is that when doing the ptj at the pantry and essentially going right to an imp and ending the game, I was still paid the same amount as if I had tried to actually get the food. I had 4 and the game treated it as if I had tried. If you mess up the inn you get docked, is there nothing in place like that for the kitchen?

The dungeons are a little wonkey for the main tower. You should be able to get past the area after the breeding ground if you kill the swarm until the stop spawning, but if it's not letting you past even then, then it's probably glitched. Not much past it yet though, as the next area (a darker forest with werewolves) is in-progress for development still.

There's a "bonus" you get from gathering 15ish(i think) fruits from the kitchen minigame, but it's pretty low.

The idea with the paperwork event is good! I'll be re-visiting the church and corrupt church soon for advancements into light/dark magic, so I'll see about expanding events there too!
hgameartman

Postby Bunnyav » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:57 am

There definitely needs to be a better progress indicator on the Neko boss fight to explain "why you can't leave early" and "how many more waves need to die". Just keep blasting for now!

Can I get a peak into the mechanics of the bar prostitution? With an Endurance ~180 it takes me 2 healing potions to get a patron satisfied, generally focusing on Felllatio and penetration when the john is close. That earns 250 gold, but since I need 1 time period to craft 2 healing potions it comes out pretty much a wash. I know other tasks are cheaper endurance cost but it's hard to see how much the patron enjoys them.
Bunnyav

Postby hgameartman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:06 am

Will try to get some UI stuff done soon! I know that the library minigames need it badly as well....

The bar prostitution.... code's a bit complex, but from what I remember, there's a variety of client types spread out throughout them, with villager-clients being a bit more difficult in general. It was something like a 70-20-10 spread, with 70% being easy, 20% being moderate, and 10% being hard (and 1 villager, if I remember right, starts out at capped mood, immediately taking control)

Payment and your base endurance had a fairly complex formula, but I think it can get a bit higher if you train up... probably hp and endurance stats to max, I think. Probably a bit more too it but I can't remember entirely.

Generally, male satisfaction rises more with penetration, and less with actions that don't involve it, with, at the extreme edge being something like cunnilingus which adds 0. Any sort of orgasm from the male increases it by a wide margin as well. Female orgasm... I think also does raise it, but not as much. The easiest strategy I've found is to go all-in on the sex actions after unlocking them in the minigame, might not be the best strategy though. I think the foreplay actions are a bit underuseful, so I might adjust values on them and perhaps make some sort of client type that gains more satisfaction from female orgasm than their own.... would just need some way to distinguish them, perhaps special dialog for certain actions.....

The overall difficulty is tuned a little too high, but rather than lowering it I intend do implement modifiers in the form of "Sex levels" which will be raised through events that will likely be tied to the dark church, possibly some sort of "voluntary sex-slave training" event that requires higher corruption. It will be sort of like the church's vollenteer work, manipulating curses in addition to increasing the satisfaction (or at least decreasing endurance costs!) of various actions in the minigame thanks to training sex levels.

If it gets too easy after these changes (it likely will), then I intend to add another layer to the system, harder to please clients, a different minigame, something fun that requires higher sex skills to participate in (or alternatively, has different outcomes if you're not skilled enough!)
hgameartman

Postby hgameartman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 am

V0.11.0 Release!

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Updates-
-Added 2 new skills- Basic guard and Arc Slash!

-Added 3 new classes-Swordsmanship:Basic Guard, Swordsmanship:Arc Slash, and Basic Weightlifting

-Nurse's aid PTJ- Intermediate level- added!
-Make sure not laze about or you won't make progress!

-Added music to the general school areas!
-Also added a h-scene track to try to set the mood a bit more!
-Feedback welcome on the choices! I'm really not the best music-wise.... Not even able to play the trombone!

-Added new guest artwork for the potion instructor!

-Anya Side Story 1 bugfixes and minor continuation....
-It will be having multiple branching paths, but for now only the first, focusing on AnyaXVillager, will be focused on

-Human Birth-Checkup 1 has been added. It occurs around day 4, and is mostly flavor text giving a few vague warnings

-Added basic modding support!
-Availabe through a special mods "override" folder!- -Just delete the "UNUSED" prefex on test mods to function
-Can change up basic visual-audio effects to start with!
-No idea how to implement this with the mac version. Just threw the override folder into the default directory.

Changes-
- 20% of Anya's scenes are converted to the new bust system!
- Slightly reduced breast size in Anya's new animation to better match her current breast size
-Previous animation is still saved for later use
-You now get a bottle back after giving milk to the baby nekomatas in the nursery

Bugfixes-
-Fixed class selection being wonky and sometimes randomly resetting to the first class, even when you chose something different!
-Fixed Elemental classrooms booting you out so you can't use the training room in the mornings after you complete the class
-Fixed permenant slowdown after dying with the slow from werewolf roars or Neko Pollen
-Waterway dungeon spawns no longer despawn when you change maps
-Drastically reduced sell price for clothing being way too high
-Fixed nurse and village job board interaction boxes not being accessable at certain angles
-Fixed paper-writing and basic research allowing one more paper than it's supposed to to be written/researched
-Fixed a Game-breaking freeze on church Paperwork Event if you have no blessings.

Known Issues-
-Student sometimes doesn't move to bed properly during the treatment phase of the nurse's aid ptj
-Floors for the main tower feel wonky, too many spawns, bad placements, etc etc
-Possible stuttering during nurse's aid diagnostics
-Stocking for PTJ is kinda boring and a gold-sink(though kinda needed with how profitable the PTJ is...) Will be improved later with specialized "Medicines" unlocking more fun events if you stock them, and general PTJ reward upgrades later on.
-Anya's new Side-Story blocks random nightly events... Will be fixed later on when the side-story is expanded and updated
-Many potions missing from free-crafting
-Possible issues with slowness potion not showing up in recipes
-Hard to set up skills when you can't see the ones you set up except in combat
-Possibly an error will occur with the music in certain scenes. I had a deployment issue and had to re-name all music implemented this update, but I'm not sure I got all of them, so report any you find that give you an error with the track name and location/event you were in so I can fix it!
-Possible errors with Firebolt 2's assignment in the assignments journal causing crashes- Not sure if this is my buggy test-save.... or a real error happening on stable games
-Nekomata boss needs clear UI indicators for its waves and finishing
-Stocking flips pages needlessly when you choose to buy something in the nurse's aid PTJ
-New combat classes possibly not showing up under "available" courses even when you meet basic prereqs - Workaround- instead of "Only Available" choose "View All Classes"
-Students move when you do the weightlifting class- They're not supposed to...

Download:
http://hmadarktower.com/index.php/downloads/
hgameartman

Postby Grimmnaka » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 am

You are a perverted saint and a scholar I can finally get passed the first semester.
Grimmnaka
Newly Registered

Postby musical74 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:58 am

Hm, gonna start from the beginning again. Oh well, that'll allow me to try a few different things! Oh yeah, how often is the wiki updated?

What raises willpower, besides singing in the choir?
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 am

musical74 Wrote:Hm, gonna start from the beginning again. Oh well, that'll allow me to try a few different things! Oh yeah, how often is the wiki updated?

What raises willpower, besides singing in the choir?

I'll try to get some updates on the wiki soon! Was editing every 2-3 weeks(during updates) but Kinda lost steam after I had to spend 4 days deleting 15000 spam articles (which is why free editing is disabled! If anyone wants to edit it themselves just let me know w/ wiki username and I'll add permisions!)

Not sure on everything that raises willpower, I think the dark church's event does, and probably at least a few classes, likely in mana manipulation.

I'll look into it tomorrow and get back to you on that!

Later: Think it's just the churches events and a few classes! The gardening club raises charisma, the tavern PTJ raises HP I think, the Kitchen PTJ raises END or HP instead if you do the minigame a lot, and the new PTJ is supposed to raise.... Mana I think? but it seems to be broken so I'll have to retroactively apply it back. Book club raises int and mana regen.
hgameartman

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects