Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower!

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower!

Postby Darthjake » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:02 pm

hgameartman Wrote:Enter a world of magic and romance, fantasy and adventure, action and.... slime monsters?
Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower is now in beta!

Attend college at the most ancient and exciting of all magic schools.

Explore dungeons, learn magic, meet an ancient race of cat-people and... let them play with you?
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Oh dear...

And... oh...

Interested? The game is currently in beta and is free for all! I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

https://hmadarktower.game.blog/hma-dark ... downloads/

Since you are the OP, you should be able to update the original thread with new versions, so peeps don't need to scroll through content to find the latest version.

Also I'd recommend that you provide a direct link to your new page. I tried to download from the old page because there were links there and almost didn't download.

I'll play and leave a review later.
Darthjake

Postby hgameartman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Didn't realize I had permissions to edit the front page! Link should be updated to the new site, as well as some image changes to more recent artwork.
hgameartman

Postby Darthjake » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:24 pm

hgameartman Wrote:Didn't realize I had permissions to edit the front page! Link should be updated to the new site, as well as some image changes to more recent artwork.

Glad I was able to assist. I want to like the game, it seems like it has a lot of promise.

That being said, so freaking huge! I did horrible in the old Bard's Tale having to memorize dungeons, and this is proving to be a challenge for me. I've started being able to find my room after class, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do if my buddy stops dragging me to class. Speaking of which, I wanted to be the purple haired one, lol! But as soon as I thought that, I just knew it'd be the other one, and I was right.

Apparently you have to check the areas when doing the tavern job. That's a bit irritating, I had jotted down floor on the one room that was occupied meaning that was all I needed to clean, and I got money deducted because I didn't check the areas that I didn't need to clean. I can sort of see it now, but it was frustrating at the time.

Also, wands. Will that be something that happens in game, or do we need to search out and do it ourselves? I noted that in the artifact class the teach that was ignoring us said we could craft our own wands by the time the class was over, but that won't help me for the 2nd lesson. And that's about how far I've gotten so far.

That and research, I did that too, and catching the books is a bit clunky, but it is doable at least if if avoid the romance/ero books, hehe.

That's about it the art is better then I can do, so I'm not going to get down on you for that, I saw some people being quite harsh on F95, and was like, I'm not going to be that way for certain.

Good Luck, and I'll keep watching and playing every so now and again.
Darthjake

Postby hgameartman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
The game's open-world, so it's supposed to be a little big, but the overall size of the world will be limited to the school and nearby village, and a few pocket dimension-type areas for dungeons and special events. The school itself will likely cap out at 5 floors and some higher towers, and the village has a few sectors planned. There are options in encyclopedia and the map screen to return you to your room (although it costs a time block to do so) in the event that you're completely lost.

Things get a lot easier when you learn the layout, and I'm trying my best to keep maps and travel systems updated to make sure it's easy to get around. The wand subquest is a little obtuse, but future class assignments are generally a bit more streamlined. The minigames are a bit clunky occasionally, and the research one in particular already has implemented a less-efficient skipping option as well. The tavern will have an update in the future, likely the option to do something else with less of a minigame to have more options open.

Art's an ongoing thing, will likely be another re-design of the character portraits in a year or so as I'm already making some nice progress on my skills over the last few months. I perfectly understand the art complaints though, I'm a pretty bad artist still, but I'll be doing my best!
hgameartman

Postby hgameartman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 am

V0.9.0!

V0.9.0
Updates
-Added the Wind and Lightning elemental wings
-Added the doggystyle animation, with new entry and creampie animations, into the prostitution minigame
-Added 2 new animations- Internal and Knotting Internal
-Added Vine Traps + Vine Materials to the dungeon
-Added 4 new classes! (Wind and Lightning Primer, SparkBolt 1, Wind Blade 1, Wind Barrier 1)
-Added 3 new skills- Wind Blade, Wind Barrier, and Sparkbolt
-Added 1 new Misc. Erotic Masturbation Scene for Eliana's room at night- It's a short one, but has the effect of increasing her corruption level!
-Added a new recipes page to the Encyclopedia- Tracking all Artifact recipes

Changes
-Halved the spawn rate of tin on the first set of floors
-Lowered Enemy Spawn rates for dark forest areas after the nekomata boss

Bugfixes
-Fixed blowjob animation remaining on screen when it shouldn't be after prostitution minigame

Known Bugs
-WW enemies can stunlock an unprepared player

http://hmadarktower.com/index.php/downloads/
hgameartman

Postby hgameartman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:19 am

V0.9.1

Updates
-Added the Communications Crystal!
-This handy magical device allows you to keep in contact with everyone! Or it will in the future!
-Current funcitonality is sparce, you can only call your mom, but future updates are planned to allow for a more robust relationships system (IE: repeatable scenes and requests are moved here to avoid slowing down building relationships)
-Takes the place of the encyclopedia in the menu,
but also includes the encyclopedia as an app for easy access

Bugfixes-
-Fixed several clipping issues in the tailor's shop
-Fixed reading erotica for book club sticking you in the bed at some times
-Fixed animations not properly clearing in some situations with the prostitution minigame

hgameartman

Postby hgameartman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 am

V0.10.0 - Including special guest art!

V0.10.0
-Nurse's Aid PTJ-
-An intermediate-level PTJ(Req- 5+Will)
Pay raises based on your experience, Purity, and Medical Abilities!
-Currently only the basic level is available, higher levels will require Purity to unlock, and come with new scenes and rewards.

-Human Pregnancy has been added
-So far, only for the tavern prostitution events, Andrew will get his update later!

-Added the Comm. Crystal
-Or, rather, expanded it. Can now call Anya to chat or hang out together!
-Spending time together this way advances side-stories if they are available, or shows a repeatable scene if they are not.
-All of Anya's spending time together repeatables(The random, repeating ones) are moved to here

-Added Anya's first side-story(Or, rather, part of it!): This story centers around "helping" Anya out with her insecurities about her own body the good old-fashioned way, a night out drinking! (And possibly more!) Contains- FxF OR MxF(Voyeur), and a new Animation! Currently, only the MxF portion is implemented, but more to come soon!

-New Classes- Lightning: Static Cling, Lightning: Jumpstart, Potions: Slowness Flask, Wind: Cool Breeze, Lightning: Discharge, Wind: Dancing Wind Blade, Neutral:Magic Storm 1, Lightning: SparkBolt 2, Wind: Wind Blade 2, Fire: Basic Fireballs, Water: Whirlpool 1

-New Combat Spells- Static Cling, Slowness Flask, Discharge, Dancing Wind Blades, Magic Storm 1, SparkBolt 2, WindBlade 2, Whirlpool 1, Fireball 1
-New Passives- Jumpstart, Cool Breeze

-Added a small UI indicator for how to open the menu to the top-left of the screen, since it's different from ordinary RPGmaker games due to combat scripts
-It's ugly, so I made it not show up for continuing players.
-It disappears on its own around the end of the tutorial with Anya, regardless of if you actually do the tutorial or not.

-New Animations-
-Cunnilingus- Basic
-Anya- Missionary - With new artwork from a guest artist!

Bugfixes-
-Fixed Metalworking and Elemental Primer: Wind+Lightning not properly showing up in the class list on a new game.
-To fix this oversight, it should auto-detect and add itself on update if you don't have it.
-Fixed wind elemental training accidently maxing out your water elemental training if you max it out
-Fixed blowjob animation still not switching when you switch immediately after starting one
-Fixed Doggystyle not properly closing still frame when switching as well
-Fixed Sparkbolt accidently applying damage to defense instead of magic defense
-Fixed slime defeat event playing outside of the sewers
-Fixed struggling on the nekomata hoard boss's female nekomatas causing image to freeze on screen

Known Errors-

-Classes are a bit wonky since V0.8.0. I'm using a new method of class implementation to try and dynamically set them up, including prereqs, and I think it's a little buggy, particularly with displaying the classes when selecting new ones.
-Some ingredients in the waterway dungeon despawn improperly upon switching maps
-Many enemies in waterway and school 2nd floor dungeons despawn as well
Floors after the Nekomata boss feel a little wonky. Lag, bad spawn placements, and sometimes hoards of werewolves gang-roaring you wonky.
-Map glitches when used inside dungeon or area with no current map
-Sometimes the nurse's PTJ will... stutter during diagnostics work. I'll to to optimize the code, but RPGmaker's random generation isn't the most optimal. It's usually hanging up on blocking duplicates from showing up, I think.
-Stocking for PTJ is kinda boring and a gold-sink(though kinda needed with how profitable the PTJ is...) Will be improved later with specialized "Medicines" unlocking more fun events if you stock them, and general PTJ reward upgrades later on.
-Anya's new Side-Story blocks random nightly events... Will be fixed later on when the side-story is expanded and updated
-Classes desperately need a UI update for choices, as it's getting really unwieldy. Will be a priority for next update.
-Game-breaking freeze on church Paperwork Event if you have no blessings.

hgameartman

Postby Bunnyav » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 am

Question for you. I collected all the blessings, then became corrupt. I haven't had the opportunity to gain any curses yet... are they blocked by blessings?

Is the Nurse aid designed to be the "good counterpart" to bar prostituting?
Bunnyav

Postby hgameartman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 am

Bunnyav Wrote:Question for you. I collected all the blessings, then became corrupt. I haven't had the opportunity to gain any curses yet... are they blocked by blessings?

Is the Nurse aid designed to be the "good counterpart" to bar prostituting?

Curses shouldn't be blocked by having blessings. In the future there will likely be some that can't coexist (thinking high-level holy/dark magic here) or stuff like that, but at the basic level everything should work nicely together since I liked the idea of Olivia being more 2-dimensional and not being beholdened to just one side.

The nurse's aid job is, indeed, a sort of purity-focused counterpart to the tavern PTJ, and with the next update will lead into some interesting scenes requiring purity(Feeling bad? Let's heal with the power of LOVE!). Its pay scales with purity as well, giving some nice rewards for it!
hgameartman

Postby Bunnyav » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 am

Hmm, so is it the Dark Mass or the Dark Choir I need to get Curses?
Bunnyav

Postby hgameartman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 am

Bunnyav Wrote:Hmm, so is it the Dark Mass or the Dark Choir I need to get Curses?

It's the "Dark Choir" Sort of event.
The weird group-masturbation session, which rapidly increases corruption.

The "Dark Mass" is sort of a counterpart to the sermons, which reduce the opposing force (purity for dark mass, corruption for sermons in the church) by, I think, 15 each time.

While not completely necessary (since raising corruption drops purity, and vice-versa) I figured it would be good to have a sort of "Neutral" way to return to baseline
hgameartman

Postby hgameartman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 am

Bugfixes!

Updates
-Redid the class selection options! Now with multiple filters, from class type to availability!

Bugfixes
-Fixed Anya's mouth being shy in the new animation and running away
-Fixed basic Aeorbics adding stats each class instead of just at the end
-Several Misc bugfixes I didn't remember to log
-Fixed Basic Fireballs and Whirlpools not progressing past class 2

Known Errors-

-Some ingredients in the waterway dungeon despawn improperly upon switching maps
-Many enemies in waterway and school 2nd floor dungeons despawn as well
Floors after the Nekomata boss feel a little wonky. Lag, bad spawn placements, and sometimes hoards of werewolves gang-roaring you wonky.
-Map glitches when used inside dungeon or area with no current map
-Sometimes the nurse's PTJ will... stutter during diagnostics work. I'll to to optimize the code, but RPGmaker's random generation isn't the most optimal. It's usually hanging up on blocking duplicates from showing up, I think.
-Stocking for PTJ is kinda boring and a gold-sink(though kinda needed with how profitable the PTJ is...) Will be improved later with specialized "Medicines" unlocking more fun events if you stock them, and general PTJ reward upgrades later on.
-Anya's new Side-Story blocks random nightly events... Will be fixed later on when the side-story is expanded and updated
-Game-breaking freeze on church Paperwork Event if you have no blessings.
-Library Pages acting oddly when you do the minigame or skip it
-Many potions missing from free-crafting
-Possible issues with slowness potion not showing up in recipes
-Slowness from pollen effect in neko boss might not clear properly if you die with it
-Classes might still be acting up with the new system. I'm working on debugging any lingering issues that come with having them be added dynamically at runtime, rather than only at intilizations or during updates

hgameartman

Postby musical74 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 am

After way too much time, I decided to look into this (really should have awhile ago!), what's the best advice for starting out? I've played games where improving X means a decrease in Y, and I've done magic-school games before (Hanako Games has done a few very good magic-school games!) so I SHOULD be able to just dive in. Are there rewards for being pure, and rewards for being about as unpure as you can get? Want to try it all out!
musical74

Postby Bunnyav » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:34 am

There's a start of a wiki to give you some guidelines, but really quick: Always take 4 classes, study until you can't, and complete assignments to pass with scholarship. The cheap "self study classes" will pay you more than they cost and give you stat boosts every taking. I tend to take 2 self studies each semester as gold is pretty tight for a while.

If multiple courses a semester need Research or papers, try to get all assignments queued so you can resolve in 1 library trip. Courses advance at the speed you choose to take them so you'll only "miss" a class if you do non-class activity in the morning for 4 mornings.

At the moment there is no downside to diversity, no deadlines to create opportunity costs. You definitely want at least 1 sword class to meet the boyfriend NPC with multiple unique H events.

The more you do a job the better it pays until it hits a cap of about 150g a job. Kitchen can get a bit of bonus money for getting 15 correct foods- has Imp H scenes and can raise corruption. Hotel room cleaning can get extra money if you make mistakes with a man in the room with corruption. Doing this also allows you to informally proposition bar patrons for 250 a time period (but it's crazy hard to satisfy them without health potions) and it's hard to start without getting mostly drunk first.

Purity can get you angelic bonuses which stay even if you go corrupt later, can also boost the Nurse PTJ and give extra scenes to Aerobic's classes.

Don't go into chapter 2's dungeon without taking Trap Finding Twice. Take it a few more times for later dungeons.

Chapter 3's dungeon is the 2nd floor of the school at night. It's not well signposted you can try and you have to attempt to enter the floor from the main entrance stairwell to trigger the dungeon.

The WereWolf area likes to freeze your movement if you die there. Saving the game seems to fix that.
Bunnyav

Postby musical74 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:53 am

Messed around a bit, need a wand and have the wood needed, but the catalyst is "uh...I think I missed something" There was a girl that mentioned where to get the catalyst but I apparently missed something, I'm not sure what happened. Found the imps having a little fun at night amusing! I'm still quite early into the first semester though, so maybe some of the stuff doesn't open up until semester 2?
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 pm

musical74 Wrote:Messed around a bit, need a wand and have the wood needed, but the catalyst is "uh...I think I missed something" There was a girl that mentioned where to get the catalyst but I apparently missed something, I'm not sure what happened. Found the imps having a little fun at night amusing! I'm still quite early into the first semester though, so maybe some of the stuff doesn't open up until semester 2?

The catalyst is found through a small questline, started when you leave the class and are ambushed by the strange blonde in the halls. Going to the your dorms at night, and then to the front of the school in the afternoon, will unlock the sewer dungeon, which, after exploring, will get you catalysts. (and can be repeated for more later on)

Overall not too important though, as classes can be repeated anytime so you can always re-do it if you need.
hgameartman

Postby musical74 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Maybe you were aware of this already, but I saved inside the waterway, got knocked out by slimes (that was interesting!) but when I went to load...it spawned me in a place I couldn't move at all, so the game was essentially unplayable and I had to restart from before I entered the waterway. Not too big a problem, but irritating!

Barring that I'm enjoying it a lot, it's fun trying different stuff out and seeing what works and what doesn't! Do you NEED to know Brighten before entering the waterway, or is the catalyst just beyond the slimes? Losing to the slimes way fun, but if the catalyst is beyond them, and losing ends the day... I found a tree but interacting with it didn't do anything.
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:09 am

musical74 Wrote:Maybe you were aware of this already, but I saved inside the waterway, got knocked out by slimes (that was interesting!) but when I went to load...it spawned me in a place I couldn't move at all, so the game was essentially unplayable and I had to restart from before I entered the waterway. Not too big a problem, but irritating!

Barring that I'm enjoying it a lot, it's fun trying different stuff out and seeing what works and what doesn't! Do you NEED to know Brighten before entering the waterway, or is the catalyst just beyond the slimes? Losing to the slimes way fun, but if the catalyst is beyond them, and losing ends the day... I found a tree but interacting with it didn't do anything.

There are some strange issues that I couldn't figure out with the slime game-over.
Killing the set of slimes at the end gets you the catalyst for the quest, but you can always just skip the quest for a while and come back to it later. There's no rush, and doing ptj's, clubs, and classes gain stats and spells for you to get stronger.

And with brighten, Anya knows it and will cast it, and even without it cast it's still workable, just a bit darker than usual.
hgameartman

Postby musical74 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 am

I found a bizarre bug when choosing the next set of classes: what I was choosing and what showed up to confirm wasn't always the same thing. I chose a few self-study classes and it said "so you want X", which wasn't a self-study class. It took a little doing to get the classes I wanted, because it seemed rather random on getting the classes I wanted and what showed up.

I was kind of hoping the big slime would give a different set of animations, but that's OK. Losing when you feel compelled to visit the semester 2 dungeon (I lost to a red slime, and also to blue one) gives no sexy scene, is that intentional?
musical74

Postby hgameartman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:13 am

musical74 Wrote:I found a bizarre bug when choosing the next set of classes: what I was choosing and what showed up to confirm wasn't always the same thing. I chose a few self-study classes and it said "so you want X", which wasn't a self-study class. It took a little doing to get the classes I wanted, because it seemed rather random on getting the classes I wanted and what showed up.

I was kind of hoping the big slime would give a different set of animations, but that's OK. Losing when you feel compelled to visit the semester 2 dungeon (I lost to a red slime, and also to blue one) gives no sexy scene, is that intentional?

The new class selection system might have some new bugs, but likely is less annoying than the pre vious version even with them (IE- Scrolling through all 40+ classes just to find the one you want)

I'll do more testing and fix up any issues with it for next release for sure!

The slime dungeon, as well as the semester 2 dungeon and school 2nd floor dungeons, all will be getting updates in the future for their own (optional) loss scenes and expanded events.

It's just taking a while, so for now they all have a generic (straight to the infirmiriy) defeat event
hgameartman

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects