Winterfell's Trap Heir [Sallin_Kari]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Winterfell's Trap Heir [Sallin_Kari]

Postby Firehead » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:51 am

Your mother takes another moment to take in the information before sighing. "Raalis, please go out to the crowd. Let them know that their words were heard, and you appreciate the support." There is a light murmur through some of the nobles probably a joke passed here and there about how much these 'words' and 'support' actually meant in the grand scheme of things. "Once they've been assured there words do not fall on deaf ears," you catch another light murmur, "Get them to dispurse. Having a large crowd right up against our gate is a hazard in so many ways."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:13 am

I nod making my way from the throne to the entrance trying not to let the snootiness of the nobles crack my pleasant facade. Their arrogance annoys me to no end but it is not the first time I've endure their hypocrisy. As I exit I cast a simple spell, forming a pillar of light around me. It's nothing fancy, and any priest worthy of the title should be able to cast it with hardly a moment's thought. Useful for searching an area of darkness... or bringing attention to yourself which is exactly why I cast it. Drawing their attention should be enough to break the chanting and cause them to listen to me. Well, after calming down from seeing me. I always feel strange seeing how excited the commoners are to see me. My sense of self-importance isn't high enough to be comfortable with that.
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:56 pm

The crowd is enamoroud with your appearance and most of them bow though a few go so far as to kneel there on the gravel, but with enough time, they seem to become satisfied with their supplication and face you wondering what you'll have to say to them.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 pm

I step forward to the gates reaching my hands out taking every hand I can with a smile as I slowly walk from one end to the other as I project my voice out to the masses, "I am humbled that you all came here to support me in my efforts to inherit the throne. You have been heard. Your voices will be weighted. And I swear on Selyssah's divine grace that I will meet your expectations with my ascent to the throne! But now we must let the competition for the throne continue uninterrupted, so chaos may not marred its beauty. I ask each and everyone of you to return to your homes and pray to our divine matron for our success."
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 pm

You see several hands reach out to you through the gate feeling the reverence with which their fingers clasp yours. The crowd cheers and you notice a wave of people try to get closer pressing the people ahead of them into the gates. The guards rush forward trying to get the ones in back to back off without hurting the people being forced against the gate before you're able to make your speech. Once you've finished speaking the crowd starts chanting your name as they disperse and return to their homes and work. On your way to the castle, you find Narissa waiting for you. Holding up a sheet of paper, you see what she wants. 'your new maid has arrived. I wasn't expecting her.'
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:47 pm

I wait until the last one leaves before letting out a sigh. They mean well but that doesn't mean the stress they cause is lessened. And it seems like my stress won't cease just yet. Looking at Narissa's I rub the bridge of my nose, "Neither was I... How urgent is this? Court is still in session."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:21 am

She writes out another note. 'For now, she's waiting in your room. She says she was instructed to wait there for you, but won't tell me who instructed her. I'll have an eye kept on her.' She leaves letting you rejoin the court.

As you walk in, Dutchess Evisca, one of the older generals from one of the newer noble families, appears to be regaling court with one of her old war stories from the last war. It only takes a couple sentenses though to realize you've heard this one many times before. There is a general air of annoyance as the old woman prattles on, but no one is ready to interrupt her, so she must have been given the floor though you doubt your mother would have done that for this specific purpose.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 am

I thank her, and tell her to keep an eye on her for now. Just one more thing to deal with before I head out.

Entering, I hush my sigh. Perhaps mother gave her the platform to keep the other nobles silent, but that doesn't mean it isn't aggravating. Perhaps that's the point. She wanted all the nobles to feel what she is feeling. Still, I dare not interrupt her if she was sanctioned, so I quietly walk back up, sticking to the side of the aisle before swing wide to return to the throne.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Presuming the court is organized with a central pass in the middle leading to the throne and a semi-circle cleared around the throne for the specific individual given the floor to speak with the queen, with the nobles waiting on either side of the aisle for their turn, or just to listen to what is going on.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:13 pm

Yeah, that's what I'd imagined.

As you approached, you could see your mother's smile. The one she told you she'd practiced since she was eight. The super polite smile she only used when she was really annoyed but couldn't do anything about it immediately.

As you take your spot beside her she whispers not wanting to interrupt the story. "So, how did it go."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm

"Well enough. I placated them and sent them on their way. They hopefully won't repeat this," I explain briefly, lest I incur the ire of the duchess.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 am

It seemed the duchess was just finished with her tale, and your mother gave her usual level clap. "Now is there anymore business to present before the Court?" Your mother's smile turns genuin when it appears there is nothing more. "Very well, thank you all for coming. We shall meet again on the marrow." With that, the assembled nobles begin to disperse.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:21 am

With the court dismissed I quickly state to my mother loudly enough for the nobles to hear and know they will not have the opportunity to intercept me, "Mother, as it turns something has occurred among my maidservants during court, so I must deal with that promptly." At that I hurry free so that any less polite nobles won't press the issue regardless.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:36 am

You make your way quickly past the assembled nobles including Celeswyn and her mother before anyone can try to distract you with anything they might think is of utmost importance. Making it to your quarters, you find your personal maid awaiting you. 'She's just been waiting in there for you.'

Opening the door to your bedchambers there is indeed a young girl waiting. The way she stands is stiff and unnatural giving away that she's a doll to anyone that's familiar with the things. She simply stands in that one spot until she notices you turning to kneel. "Reporting for duty Princess. How may this one serve you?"

Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 pm

"Ah you must be the doll that has been sent," I comment in a hushed tone just in case anyone is listening in, "I don't need anything specific right now, but you will tag along with me in public. Speaking of which I do have an appointment I need to make." I turn to Narissa, "Did you wish to come as well?"
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:49 am

The maid nods, "Yes mistress, I will follow and keep you safe." Narissa looks from the doll to you. 'Sure, I would be more than happy to go along as well.' The two girls follow along behind you as you make your way to where Cereswyn's family is currently staying.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm

"I suppose the kitchen doesn't have something we can bring along as a present, so I might have to dip into my personal stash," I comment, stopping to rummage through my diplomatic gift stores. If I recall correctly the matriarch, while of the martial persuasion, works hard at fitting in with the capital nobles, despite not understanding the trends. Some gifts of the latest quality perfumes might go some way in ingratiating her to me. Her husband, on the other hand, is very much a soldier by nature, so perhaps a magic oil for his blade? Cereswyn should be simple enough, we shared similar tastes in sweets as a child so a bag of my favorite candies for her.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 am

With some gifts chosen to grease the political wheels, your two maids fall in step just behind you as the three of you make your way out of your personal quarters. Your staff stop their duties to bow, curtsy, or salute as you pass falling back into their routines as your presence retreats. Finally, you approach the quarters that had been assigned to Lady and Lord Whiteguard. Two guards salute you before one speaks, "The Lady's been expecting you, Princess. Would you like me to show you the way?"
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:05 pm

I smile at the staff as I pass. Upon reaching the guard I nod, "If you would be so kind."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 am

The guard nodded, "Follow my, please, your highness." He leads you to a small study where all three of the Whiteguards were waiting. It seemed each of them were busy reading in silence together as the guard salutes and announces you. The three of them put their books down, and move over to the couches and tables at the center of the room offering you and your maids the other couch.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 am

I great each of them in turn, but hang onto my gifts for now, having left them with the pair of maids. It's best to not lead with gifts, as it makes it look like you are trying to pump them for something. Waiting for them to have some compliant you can turn into a justification to offer the specific gift, and using that to hand out the others is generally more effective in my experience. Instead I simply take them up on their offer to sit on the couch, making small talk as we go.
Sallin_Kari

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games