Komorebi: The Ronin

For free-form roleplay about anything and everything!

Komorebi: The Ronin

Postby mrblah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:33 pm

Prologue: This is Your Home

The moon hung high over the night sky of Yamato. As always, the starry night depicted a beautiful artwork of the celestial bodies above, shining down dimly in comparison to the massive white rock which seemed to light the earth itself. It was a bit cold, tonight. Windy, with a bite of dryness that was common during Yamato's winter seasons... but the last you remembered it, Yamato was still in springtime.

That was your first sign that something was wrong. Following that, the shaking trees that seemed to howl silently in the wind were coated in dark black, unlike the typical shaded green of the bamboo forests. The ground you walked on was tattered with stones common for stone pathways, and there was an odd mist that seemed to permeate the air with a mystical presence... have you been trapped by some sort of Yokai? Where are you—nay, where were you last, and who are you?? The longer you seemed to walk into this misty forest, the more your memories seemed to fade. Faces... names... all the information pattered out like dying lights. Until...

You made it out of the mist and your memories came rushing back. You are a Ronin, a former member of one of the eight great clans of Yamato, having fled for personal reasons after being marked with the Sigil of the Oni. You also have been in this exact same place before... in a dream where you met a mysterious woman. She sat on a stone chair outside of a large ornate tower, calmly listening to the sound of a nearby bamboo water fountain and playing her rainbow colored hand percussion instrument. The bells attached to it whistled with a clear and echoed tone, calling you to her with an alluring beckon that fit the enigmatic presence she beheld. You weren't able to speak with her since it was a mere dream, but that woman had introduced herself as the one who branded you. She tasked you with conquering the country, assisting her in her domination to "put it back in its rightful hands," as she said in her own words.

Ring...

Yet again, she could be found sitting on her stone chair and shaking her hand percussion instrument. Her visage was of a young woman likely just entering into adulthood with fair features and an enchanting gaze. Her dress wear was more fitting on someone very high in the social classes of Yamato, and her smile was dipped with an aristocratic mischief that told of both youth and maturity. She was unmistakably beautiful and had to be someone important... but never had you ever seen nor heard of her. The woman turned her head to you, smiling that same smile she always did, and gazing at both of your sides to seven others (and a shark... Yokai?) who accompanied you. Who were these people? You recognized their wear to have been belonging to the other clans and you also feel some sort of camaraderie with them despite never having met them.

"Welcome, my Eight Ronin." The woman spoke up before you could ask any questions. "This is our first proper meeting, so allow me to introduce myself. You may simply call me Miko, or Mistress if you'd prefer, as if you'd recall I am the one who branded you as Oni." She turned in her seat to face you eight properly. "To answer the questions most likely on your minds; I am completely human, this place is our shared home which I've brought you to in a dream, and no I cannot reverse the process... not until you complete your quest. I also do not know the exact processes of how it's done or even how you'll assist me in conquering Yamato as I asked—that is left up to your discretion. Now, if that answers everything... please, tell me all of your names. Introduce yourselves to one another as well. We all now share a bond stronger than sisters would."

Her voice was polite and beautiful as she looked... but, there was a hint of something you could never like in her tone. Something of a cruel arrogance, as if she looked down on you with her words. This young woman, 'Miko,' clearly had a high opinion of herself.
mrblah

Location: that special hell when you're still a noob even if you have 10 posts

Re: Komorebi: The Ronin

Postby Lazy Kitsune » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 pm

The night breeze brought the chill of winter to Katsu's skin, causing her to pull her arms tight around her chest, taking in air as she walked under the pale moonlight of the Yamato night sky. Questions pulled at her mind as she crept through the cold, dark unknown that surrounded her - fears about the strangeness of her surroundings, confusion at how she got her and a lack of understanding on where she was going. As she stepped through the mist that seemed to fill the air of this place, however, this concerns dulled. Each stop forward fogged her mind more and she found her questions, along with her thoughts and memories - everything that made her her, stripped away, disappearing into the shadowed path behind her as her body walked on.

There was a strange serenity in her absence from herself - a peace that seemed welcoming - and she walked forward without further concern until she broke through from the mist and it all came back to her. Her past and her present pulled back into her mind and making her doubts and worries all the more palpable. Her hand reached to her arm, where her white band was normally tightly wrapped, only to find it bare this time. She still stood in the same nomadic garb she often wore - one of the only things she had tried to keep and take care of from her past, although in recent years she felt like she wasn't worthy of wearing it. It was her only remaining tether to the Hojo clan... was it time to be rid of it, given where she was now? What she was now? She pulled her hand away from the arm, seeing the mark that it revealed. This was it... the place she went to before she was given it.

The same sound as before reached out to her, drawing Katsu towards the woman that had marked her. Their previous conversation swam through her mind. Conquer the country? Such a task... seemed far beyond Katsu's capabilities, even if she wanted to help. But something about the woman had compelled her to listen the first time regardless, and she felt a similar need growing once more as those chimes called out to her. This time, however, Katsu noticed others also approaching the woman. She wasn't sure where they had come from, but they seemed... familiar somehow, despite not recalling having met them before.

Wait, was that a shark with legs?

One thing at a time, as the woman - Miko - began introducing herself. Katsu listened, although her hand reached up to cover her Sigil. Shame and uncertainty filled her being. The things that had happened to her... the things she had done since being marked by this woman. Was she really someone Katsu wanted to listen to? Did she even have a choice in the matter. Even if Miko could somehow undo the mark once Katsu had helped her, however that was to happen, that wouldn't undo the woman's own failings to follow the teachings of her clan. Despite her misgivings, Katsu couldn't shake the feeling that any choice she had in the matter was beyond her at this point. Besides... there was a strange truth to what Miko was saying about the bond they shared. A side effect of the brand, almost certainly, but it was undeniable none-the-less.

Deciding that silence would get her nowhere, Katsu stepped forward, mustering the courage to speak up. She bowed before Miko, finding herself bowing deeper than she intended, almost as if the mark was urging her to show this woman more deference. "I am Katsu." she announced. "Formerly... of the Hojo Clan." She glanced from side to side at her compatriots around her before letting her hand slip from her harm, exposing her mark to the cold air around them. Despite knowing everyone here had one of their own, it still felt... wrong, showing it off like this. She turned around to face them all properly, bowing once more - this time finding herself able to stop and bow only as much as is polite. "It is an honour to meet all of you." Not knowing what else to say, she simply turns back and returns to standing before Miko in line with the others.
~Yawn
Lazy Kitsune

Postby exalted » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:40 am

Miho gnawed on the corner of her lip as she stumbled directionless through the fog of the forest, hand on the hilt of her sword as he head snapped towards the direction of any sound. She had heard legend of forests like this, mazes like a spiders web where a demons preyed on the souls of good men and pitted them against themselves and masters, pulling down noble dynasties into thrones of blood.

Her gaze hardened as she saw the clearing and house, taking note of the 7 other shapes that emerged from the woods at the same time as her. She stalked forward in line with them, keeping an eye to her left and right, hand still on sword hilt,the distance narrowing as they converged. A smoldering anger brewed in her gut as the woman, Miko, spoke not trusting a word she spoke. If she had done this,had them all marked than she may well have been responsible for what happened to her father and the attempt on the Shogun's son that had dishonored Miho.

"TREASON!" she barked, when the rage could be bottled no further, striding up and nearly brushing or pushing the tainted monk aside, "What you say is treason to the Emperor! Why should I not take your head right now for your crimes?"
exalted

Postby Mark3000 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:31 am

Mizuki sauntered through the mist, her left hand resting on the hilt of her sword. She couldn't remember why she was walking, or why the air felt so damn dry. Had she run afoul of some mystic or drawn the ire of a yokai. Her memories became hazier by the minute as she walked through it mist. But it didn't frighten her. In fact it felt almost calming, as if her soul was finally finding peace.

But it was not meant to be. As she exited the mist her memories returned, as did her anger. The betrayal of her own kin, the pain of torture and the feel of her own compatriots' blades cutting her down. She would ensure they all felt the pain she did tenfold. It was only when her sudden haze of rage subsided that she began to recognize the dreamscape. The first time Mizuki had this dream, she had figured it was a result of heavy drinking and her revenge-filled mind. But this time the place felt more... real.

Following the sound of bells, the one-eyed Ronin found the woman who had called her the last time along with seven other warriors. Among the group was a ... shark yokai? It seems as though her dreams had gotten weirder with each passing moment. She would abide the creature for now. But if it made a move against her, she would have no qualms cutting it down and serving it as stew.

Mizuki listened to the woman known as Miko for as long as she could, waiting for her time speak. Though two of the other warriors introduced themselves before her. The first was a former monk of the Hojo Clan, Katsu. Mizuki nodded to herself as she watched Katsu talk. She had the dress and demeanor of monk, but from what she knows of their teachings, they must be hard to follow in the outside world.

The second woman made no introductions but was quick to show her distaste for their supposed host. But when the woman mentioned the possibly cutting Miko down for the Emperor, Mizuki couldn't contain herself. "HAHAHA, really now? Then what would you do. Would you return to your masters like a pup to her mother? Even while being marked? I don't know if you're naive, stupid or both." she said as she removed her eyepatch to reveal her left eye marked with the red sigil of the oni against her black sclera. "If we're doing introductions, might as well get mine out of the way. They call me Mizuki of the Taira Clan. Or was before I was cast out. Though this was before I received my sigil." While the name wouldn't mean much to anyone outside the Taira territory, it might sound familiar to former members as the name of a notorious traitor to the clan.

With the quick introduction done, Mizuki turned her attention back to Miko. "I don't really care who rules this land. But if it gives me a chance to strike back at the Taira and Yamato Clans, I may consider lending you my aid."
Mark3000

Postby exalted » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 am

"You lowly Dog!" Miho snapped, rounding to face the new woman, "You dare to still sully the clan's name by placing it with your sordid own?"

Miho had never seen the woman, but the voice and name were familiar, belonging to one of the guards she had turned in for treason before she gained the mark. She wondered how much the treasonous witch knew of her involvement in her downfall.

"Do none of you still have pride?" She barked at the others, "Or are you as honourless as this sullied wench?!"
exalted

Postby Lorielle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Mikiko could only look on as the other two women argue and fling insults at one another, she was far removed from the politics of the nation, given she was raised in solitude and that her adoptive clan also cared little for the going ons of the political sphere. She swiveled her head around the room and when her eyes rest on the obvious shark yokai she could feel herself go for her blades, though relents as thing must of been Miko's protection. "I am Mikiko of the Ashikaga, you keep strange company Miko.."

Her years as a shinobi left her weary of situations like these she wanted to grab her tanto and immediate throw it at the younger woman. She didnt feel right about being obligated to serve this woman, but she also knew her situation called for some discretion. Turning toward the loud woman Mikiko spoke in a terse tone. "Not all of us can afford the same luxury." Her voice was soft, but as firm and serious as she could make it. She's never operated in a team and she very much wasnt wanting to work with a yokai.
Lorielle

Postby MiscChaos » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Winter, Spring, whatever. The Seasons never had any particular meaning to Akako. Perhaps certain things got ordered more at a different time, but the heat of the forge never changed. Still, when something is off enough to make even her notice, it is a sure sign that something is wrong. She wouldn’t go so far as to call herself oblivious, but extraneous details aren’t usually worthy of her time unless they revolve around smithing. Are trees supposed to move like that? Given how rarely she was allowed out as a child and how even more rarely she ventured out as an adult, she can’t be sure. After all, the less she was out and about, the less chances rival families had to attack, coerce, or otherwise fuck with her and the peace of the forge was something she craved. After all, after one person found themselves becoming part of her commission, no one else bothered her while she worked. That peace seems to permeate this mist. Memories of the jealous, of her harsh father and the mother too cowardly to speak up against him, of her final act as one of the Ietake, all of it fades away, leaving only that serene feeling. She finds she does not care if she has been trapped by a Yokai or something so long as she can wander the mist just a bit longer and know calm like she hasn’t in years.

But all too soon, the mist ends and reality reasserts itself. With a sigh of irritation, she takes in her surroundings, finding them a touch too familiar for somewhere she’s never been before. Which, given her hermit-like way of living, is much of the world to be honest. Another sigh drags itself out of her when she sees the woman who has been haunting her fucking dreams sitting in front of her. She almost hopes that she fell asleep somewhere and she’s merely seeing the woman in her head again, but dismisses it almost instantly. The easiest, best explanation for things has never worked out for her after all. So yes, this very likely is the woman, Miko apparently, who marked her and has invaded her sleep for the past few weeks, finally shown to her in the flesh. She looks like every other aristocratic customer she’s ever had to deal with except… not at the same time. The arrogance and almost inborn urge to look down on everyone who they consider beneath them (which is everyone to some people) is very much present. The good looks that seems to be considered a Gods given sign of rule to the worst of the nobility is there as well. There is something else there that she cannot place, however. All she knows is she doesn’t like it. Then again, she never liked nobility to begin with so that could possibly be coloring her perceptions. It could also be that she thinks Miko is lying to them. No way in hell can a human go about giving people Sigils of the Oni. If that were the case, every one of the Yamato clan would have that knowledge and would use it to discredit and cast down any who would disagree with them or raise up against them.

Still, she’s heard enough. More than enough really. She’s sure of two things at this point. The first is this woman is delusional. She has 8 fucking Ronin (well, 7 Ronin and a freaky shark Yokai. What the fuck is up with the shark Yokai anyways!? Seriously, what the hell!?) to her name and she expects them to somehow overthrow the Yamato and everyone who supports them? Or is she the source of all the Sigils? That doesn’t seem likely. At least one of those baring the Sigil would be upset about being conscripted against their will and would have said something about this woman to someone like the Ashikaga clan. Given their resources, this woman would be dead within a week of them knowing about her. That could still be an option that Akako could have. If they pay her enough anyways. But beyond apparently bestowing people the Sigil, she doesn’t have much in the way of personal power that she’s seen. Expecting her… she can’t even call this an army. A gathering at best of odds and ends. And one of them is already attempting to take Miko’s head. For the honor of the regime she would guess. And this is what she expects to conquer the land with. Another sigh escapes Akako. It might be for the best if she fled at the first available opportunity because she has the feeling that staying within this group will accomplish what her rivals in the Ietake clan have been trying for years and get her killed.

“Akako, formerly a blacksmith of the Ietake clan.” She says as introduction, removing the blacksmith’s glove on her right hand to reveal her Sigil of the Oni. “If you are looking for a warrior, you are in for disappointment. My hammer is much more comfortable in my hands than any weapon. I also notice you said nothing about compensation for the task you have ever so graciously let us pick up. I do not work for free.” She then looks to the woman who sounds one step away from frothing at the mouth. While she seems rabid, if Akako decides to cut and run, having allies capable of defending her seems useful. And given her instant disdain of Mizuki of the Taira clan and how she defends its name, she must either belong to the same clan or be very close to those within it. Having one of the Taira clan to assist her could be very valuable indeed. “If you’re gonna pick a fight, I’d do it in a smarter way. We’re in Miko’s domain, after all. Challenging her here could do nothing but land you in a shallow grave or in chains.” She says, hoping to return the unnamed woman to her senses. If she is to be of any use as an ally, she needs to be alive and free to move about. She hopes that this also tells the woman she has an ally here without actually saying it. No need to insult their host after all. Not until she’s ready to make her move. “As a blacksmith, I must ask about the materials for use around here. I have to know what is available to use to practice my craft if I’m going to be stuck outfitting people I know nothing of the needs for.”
There's organized chaos, then there's normal chaos. And then there's miscellaneous chaos...
Moderator primarily hanging out in the RP section
Also, ran the Pokemon RP!

Need to contact the moderation team?
MiscChaos

Postby Blue56 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Izumi had never seen this strange before, and she had no idea what she was even doing here, but those facts were irrelevant to her. She knew this was not her destination, only a step in her journey, though even now she did not know where exactly she was going or what she would do when she got there. It didn't matter, she told herself, if this was what was needed to reunite with her family, than she would go anywhere and do anything. Izumi drew the scarf her sister had made for her a little tighter against her to protect against the cool air. The make was clumsy as it was one of her first attempts at making such a garment, but Izumi was touched that her sibling had made something for her all the same.... It was strange though, she could remember receiving this scarf as a gift, but her sisters face was obscured in her memory and Izumi could not recall her name no matter how hard she tried...

Panic set in, Izumi's family was her only treasure in this world and if the fog in this forest was clouding her mind as well her vision, then she needed to leave immediately. The shinobi broke out into a run, swiftly ducking and weaving through the trees, but with each step she took, she found another precious memory fade from her mind. Time and kindness her family had devoted to her, the training she endured for them, the things she had done to see them prosper, all gone. This couldn't be happening! She had taken nothing that would link her back to them, nothing to remember them by, her memories were all she had left of them! Izumi's steps became more careless as her desperation to escape this nightmare grew, she stopped bothering to dodge through the trees, letting the bamboo whip across her face as she sped through the forest. Eventually, she tripped over the stone path, sending her sprawling to the ground on her hands and knees. Her most cherished memory, her father kneeling down to help her as she lay dying of hunger and exhaustion, faded from her mind and Izumi felt as destitute now as she had that day even though she could no longer remember why.

And then the bell rang. Izumi leapt to her feet, realizing that she was not alone here, and her memory came flooding back to her. The experience was confusing, to say the least, but she had no time to dwell on it save a brief sigh of relief. She did remember this place though... Was she dreaming again, or had she come here in the real world? And she had not come alone it seems, there were several other women and one.... shark? Obviously a Yokai, but perhaps this was still a dream after all. For now, Izumi focused on this Miko woman as she addressed them all. Hearing that she was the one who branded them, Izumi immediately gripped the kunai hidden up her sleeve and prepared to strike. She had resolved to end this woman's life for prying her away from her family, but Miko's further statement about being unable to remove the brand until they had completed their task stayed Izumi's hand. If killing this woman did not rid them of their curse, then doing so may doom them for eternity. It would be best to play along, for now at least, until she knew more. Conquering all of Yamato seemed an impossible task, especially for only eight of them. Izumi knew that assassination and sabotage could be powerful tools in destabilizing a clan, but even that could only do so much and only two among them looked to share her profession. It would take much more than a handful of warriors and a blacksmith to achieve this.

Izumi stiffened at the idea that these strangers would share a bond stronger than the one she had with her family, especially as she watched them bicker amongst themselves. She would NEVER come to love them as she did her family... but she could not deny that she would have to work with at least some of them for the time being. Izumi watched on silently as introductions were made and arguments were had. She would much rather work alone, but if following Miko's instructions would get this mark off of her right shoulder faster, then she would cooperate with these women gladly. Once there was a gap in the fighting, Izumi would obey Miko's wish and lower her face mask so she could introduce herself. "....Izumi...." She never was one for words and didn't feel like revealing former allegiances in case some bore a strong grudge against her clan. Izumi bowed deeply to Miko as she adjusted the cloth to cover her face again, before bowing to each of the other women, and the shark, in turn. Izumi had served arrogant noble women like this one before, and just like then she would do what she was asked, no more and no less. Often times, respect and obedience were all they truly wanted from her anyway. From there, she would quietly observe and take notes of her fellow Oni until she received further instructions.
Blue56

Postby Lazy Kitsune » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 pm

I flicker of anger ran through Katsu as she was all but pushed aside by the next woman to speak, although she focused inwards to calm herself down and step aside, watching the scene unfold for the time being. She had been made rather aware of how impulsive and uncontrolled the people of the world could be over the past couple of years, however she was still faced with new degrees of self-absorbed bluster quite often. No wonder the monks chose to practice their beliefs in such seclusion. To be surrounded by such discordance would disrupt anyone's ability to hone their spiritual focus.

Another of her compatriots, who introduced herself as Mizuki, spoke up next, seemingly challenging the abrasiveness of the previous woman with more hotheadedness of her own. They clearly drove at opposite ends on their views of Miko. Did Miko know she would gather such a derisive and conflicting group when she marked us? What would be the point of assembling allies that would sooner be at each others throats than at your enemies?

From these women said as they snapped at each other, they seemed to both be from the Taira clan. Katsu had learned to accept that the world was filled with disruptive influences, but she was surprised to see that two members from what she had been taught was an honourable and respected clan could be so combative with each other. As the other women introduced themselves, one of them seemed to try to calm the instigator down, although the tension between the ronin remained.

"I imagine violence and aggression is what got a lot of us here in the first place. A level head is better suited right now." was all Katsu had to add to the conversation. That sounded like something the monks would say... although the monks probably wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

She eyed the shark that loomed amongst the women uneasily. It had to be a yokai... to be this close to one of those creatures sent a shiver down her spine and dug a pit into her stomach. Should she run? Fight? Scream? All her time training with the hope to one day fight these things and here she was, standing alongside one, and not sure whether it was friend or foe.

When one of the next women to introduce themselves offered a bow to all the women in turn, Katsu returned the gesture with a bow of her own. Was that redundant? She had bowed earlier... it felt polite and sensible. Gracious greetings were something Katsu hadn't experienced in quite a long time, and even then it was never with anyone from outside of her clan. All she could do now was stand and wait, hoping the tension between the people here would abate long enough for their situation to become more clear.
~Yawn
Lazy Kitsune

Postby Nobudi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:40 am

Kagehoshi's mind was in a dreamlike haze. She was walking, but wasn't sure how or why. All she could do was follow the soft chiming of bells. But as she got closer to the sound, the more her mind cleared. Or perhaps she thought it was cleared, because it was not longer a dream. This had turn into a nightmare she couldn't even describe. She wasn't sure if this was a dream or reality anymore, but she wanted none of this now.

Her last memories was going through the motions on the mountain she called home. Checking her traps, making meals and going to sleep. That was basically what her life boiled down to at this point now that she was persona non grata with her clan that attempted to have her killed. She didn't go contact others unless it was a small village she was located near when supplies she couldn't forage or make herself dwindled. And now she was here.

While she stood with the other 7, her face remained flat, but she internally sneered at the visible youkai gathered. It seems that they were all gathered by the Oni's sigil. While they took their time to introduce themselves, her fingers idly played with her spool of wire thread behind her back. A part of her wanted to see if she could loop the wire around the summoner's neck and pull before anyone could react, but even then that would change nothing.

She kept silent, but narrowed her eyes at the one who claimed to be part of the Ashikaga. Was she one of her hunters? But that would make no sense, considering the Shogun's actions against her and her family.

As the bickering continued, she noted which ones would be useful to engage with: pretty much only the Ietake blacksmith. Everyone else, especially the youkai and the summoner, were mentally filed away as dangers.

When it came time for her to introduce herself, she merely spat out "Kagehoshi."

She didn't want to introduce herself at all, but she still did so to hurry things along.
Nobudi

Postby Littlemankitten » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Kiyo was very in tune with the passing of seasons and changes in weather. The state of the world around everyone greatly affected the types of beasts that came out to roam the wilds, as well as the temperament of others. So Kiyo had noticed the strange dryness as soon as she had woke, and the strange chill formed in the air long before it became like a winter night. She had stopped and looked up at the moon, frowning a little. She said nothing to Tuna, but she knew she didn't have to, he no doubt noticed the same time she did as well that something was quite wrong with this whole situation. Then the wind started which seemed to set off a chain of events that changed the world around her. Any sense of direction she had was immediately completely lost as the mist rolled in even more quickly than a summer storm. Soon she lost more than her direction though, she lost her purpose, her life, her family, her Tuna. It all vanished from her sight and memory as if it never existed in the first place. Kiyo made no attempt to run or panic, she just stared at the moon as its light slowly flickered and faded away into nothingness.

When everything suddenly came back to her and she found herself in a strange place with 7 other people, Ronin... Oni. Kiyo immediately moved the fox mask she had strapped to the side of her head to her face, covering it. A symbol of her family from the Inazumi clan. She really wanted nothing to do with this, she preferred to stay away from the affairs of the human race and instead focus on taming the nature they try and build their homes around. So when she became aware this girl made her a oni simply so she could help overthrow the Yamato clan, she felt mostly disinterested. Though the prospect of dismantling the clan that probably liked the Inazumi the least of them all was somewhat tempting, as despite her dislike of melding in with human affairs the Inazumi clan was the closest to what she would want out of a clan. Helps she was born and raised there.

She waited for everyone else to introduce themselves, observing each one cautiously. Some looked more dangerous than others, but she would operate under the assumption since they were all marked like she was none were to be taken lightly. A good portion of them also just seemed annoying as they seemed hellbent on immediately starting up arguments and yelling at each other. Even she had to let out a childish giggle when one of them yelled treason about the emperor, and began accusing everyone else of having no honor. A girl like that would be excellent food for her beasts. She agreed with the woman who said the mad one must be naive or stupid or both, Kiyo was leaning towards stupid. When it finally became her turn, she spoke in a soft, almost innocent sounding voice. "Kiyo, of the Inazumi clan. This is Tuna." She points at her shark-yokai thing, then gently pats his muscular torso. "I have little interest in affairs such as conquest, I prefer to spend my time with the beasts of this world. I could really care less who is temporarily on top clinging to some asinine sense of power."
I hurt you, I heal you, I hurt you again. That's the pattern.
Littlemankitten

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:36 pm

Big Tuna Kahuna wandered through the mist, really not even realizing that he had his memory suppressed, he just wanted food. This desire for food caused him to slowly lumber out of the mist, where he saw... pretty ladies everywhere. This, of course, was Big Tuna's other favorite thing. He really didn't care about or understand the shouting, people were always shouting it seemed, whether it was about him, or about other things he didn't understand. He noticed other people glaring or staring at him as well... this was fine, too, people looked at him all the time. He soon heard the girl who feeds him food and pets his skin say his name, Tuna, while patting his arm, and that made him happy. He liked to hear his name, usually it was followed by food or fighting, though now didn't seem to be the time for that, since there was no food in her hand. That's fine, Big Tuna also liked it when he got pat-pats, it was his third favorite thing. It didn't need to be anywhere specific, he just liked the pat-pats, it made him feel loved and appreciated.

Naturally, since he had just been introduced, this meant it was time for Big Tuna to start flexing and posing. This seemed to be the logical course of action when attention was given to him. Big Tuna slowly bent both of his arms and raised one over his head, pointing his fist to his left, then held his other arm straight out, and flexed his bulging muscles, with a soft, short "Bah". Once both arms were up, he turned his head slightly and winked at the pink-haired woman with the eye patch. After flexing in that position for several long moments, he slowly shifted position, bringing both arms up on either side of his face, splaying the fingers on his right hand out, while keeping his other hand flat, framing his face, while shifting his legs, one bent out in front of him, his heel up while his toes touched the ground, while he twisted his hips and kept his other leg straight out behind him, letting out a soft short "Hah bah bah", after which he again winked at the pink-haired woman with the eye patch.

Carnival of Rust RP Chat(Please join if playing, makes things so much easier): https://discord.gg/Ahdg2SX

The Unofficial Legend of Krystal Forum Discord Chat:
https://discord.gg/Z8KtzqT
RandomRoninKitten

Postby mrblah » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Ah. Their introductions... a hum came from the picturesque serenity that was Miko. Despite Miho's aggression and Kiyo's dismissal, the composed noble hadn't looked slighted or even concerned.

"Friends. Please. I'd expected tension and apprehension... even disagreement as not all of you are warriors, after all. I am naught but a strange woman who'd bestowed a demonic mark upon you and claims your new purpose to be conquering the country, but please allow me to represent my case before you decline or come for my head." Miko shook her strange instrument, the bells ringing with a faint and haunting echo. The sound filled their ears and drew attention to her, as if she'd amplified the presence of her words despite her quiet voice. "You especially, Miho Ran," she begun, speaking a name that was never given, "please do calm yourself. What I propose is not treason; I am simply asking for your help in establishing proper order over a land far too torn to see its approaching end. The current ruler is a man steadily losing power that, although he deserves it, his family has long since lost the rights to. He will not be able to unify Yamato to survive the oncoming tides... but we, my family, will. You may not realize this yet, but you seven have the greatest potential any Yokai could ever have."

"But, that is not enough to assuage your worries."

The shake of her instrument. The subtle shifting of her legs as she readjusted her position. She paused to let her words sink in. "I do not wish to disclose a great deal about myself at this time... but I am someone who has the right to rule Yamato. I am the only living person who has the right to rule Yamato aside from Emperor Shotoku himself, and I will come to power sooner or later. It just so happens that the sooner I rule these lands, the better our chances against It. That is why I've taken to these measures to request the aid of all of you. Do you understand? Do all of you?" Her later words were mixed with a snide tint, betraying the masked arrogance of the lady as she watched them...

But—a mysterious threat. A mysterious woman. A mysterious power... with all of these mysteries here, is she someone that can be trusted?

"... As for your considerations, Akako; I've bestowed upon you all a means of obtaining more power than anyone in these lands could ever hope to hold. Is that not recompense enough? You'd even be given special positions befitting your strengths upon my ascension to Empress, and you'd be renowned as heroes and revered as warriors, soaked in the annals of history forevermore to have your names overshadow that which you'd been born from. Surely I'm not mistaken in the value of this, and I've appropriately deemed it more valuable than gold? You could use that power to steal as much zł as you wish, if that were the case." Miko shrugged with an amused huff, like a mother laughing at the mischievous antics of her child. "Our people would understand and see it was an appropriate price for being saved."

"Now, let us finalize our introductions as I acquaint you all with one more member of the family. He is a powerful man who I could do nothing without, and he will serve as a close ally of yours for some time. I confess that the knowledge of how one conquers a country with just seven Ronin is lost on me, but he knows the full range of your potential and will guide you to obtaining enough power to serve that purpose. Lord Agares, if you would?" Miko punctuated her call with the shake of her instrument. Again, the bells rung with intent and again they echoed into the silence of the night, as if it swallowed the silence around them, before it in turn was silenced by the darkness.

"Certainly." Then, a silky voice toned with richness replied. The space beside Miko seemed to warp inward, bending in on itself and leaving a pit of darkness in the very space itself... then, an oddly dressed man stepped out of it.

No. Not man. He was male, yes, but his presence reeked with supernatural energy that even the most spiritually dull could see it.

He smiled politely to the eight, bowing in greeting as the portal behind him reassembled into empty space. "How do you do, ladies and gentleman? My name is Lord Agares, and I am the one who had bestowed the power of the Oni upon you. You may see me as the assistant to dear Miko's will. It is very nice to meet you all officially."
imagine a loading screen that loads a new loading screen.
mrblah

Location: that special hell when you're still a noob even if you have 10 posts

Postby MiscChaos » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:07 am

Listening to this woman go further and further on, Akako comes to a solid conclusion. “This woman is fucking insane.” She thinks, calmly if not numbly. Miko forcibly recruited the lot of them, taking them away from their lives (she doesn’t know, maybe a few of them had lives they actually enjoyed), to speed up her assumedly ego-driven assumption that she is the only person who can rule Yamato, and indeed is fated to no matter what, and that she is doing so to fight against some force only she knows about. She knows actual madmen who have less fanciful delusions than this woman. And they’re just supposed to believe this tripe? Especially after she says that they arbitrarily have the greatest potential out of the many Ronin out there? It takes everything in her power to keep her revelation from appearing on her face. Who knows how their gracious host would take it after all.

If that wasn’t enough to secure Akako’s bad opinion of the woman, the way she continues to talk down to everyone and insists on not trying to pay her would only cement it. “Even the most green merchant knows never to accept future promises for the present’s work. After all, promises have a way of never coming to fruition.” Maybe if she actually believed in the half-baked scheme this woman was peddling, she might let it go. Seeing as Akako believes this woman is 5 steps past being instated in a sanitarium, she very much doubts she has some high position waiting for her at the end of this journey. She doubts much beyond a shallow grave would wait for her to be completely honest. But she continues to be careful to keep her thoughts from her face. “Beyond that, surely even you must realize that the materials to create are expensive. Unless this so called potential you speak of gives one the power to pull such things out of their ass?” She says, soaking her words in just as much arrogance and disdain as Miko aimed at her. She will not be spoken down to by a madwoman and she’s confident enough to at least let the woman know that. As if speaking to a child, she adds on,“I would also suggest doing something about the way you speak to others. Talking down to them isn’t the way to secure their aid to you. Currently, you have nothing any of us would want beyond a chance to attack the current administration and a promise for the far future. Meaning you would need something else to convince them to work with you. Either some kind of goods, endearing yourself to them, or a much more tangible promise. You aren’t offering any of these things, so the chance of others helping you are slim unless it’s out of the goodness of their own heart. It’s basic resource management. Have you not been taught that?” She raises her eyebrows as if to convey just how basic a concept that is.

She could say more, but she cuts herself off when a man shows up. A man she could almost assuredly say is the actual power in this relationship. It wouldn’t surprise her if she was the puppet master behind the arrogant and delusional Miko, using her to push his agenda. This impression is only deepened when he reveals he is the one who actually marked them with the Sigil. She honestly thinks he’s lying when he says he’s merely the assistant to Miko’s will. She is so very glad Miho did not attempt to attack Miko. She has the sense that this Lord Agares would have smited her without issue and since she has very clearly mentally set herself against Miko, she will need all the assistance she can get. She doesn’t speak to Agares, merely watches him warily. One must be sure of the threat in their mist before they decide on a course of action after all.
There's organized chaos, then there's normal chaos. And then there's miscellaneous chaos...
Moderator primarily hanging out in the RP section
Also, ran the Pokemon RP!

Need to contact the moderation team?
MiscChaos

Postby Mark3000 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:13 am

A shiver went down Mizuki's spine as she somehow drew the attention of Big Tuna. As he continued to flex and pose, her left arm instinctively went to the hilt of her sword. Though the creature did seem a lot more docile then it's appearance let on. When the Inazumi girl pet the large shark, the two looked absolutely adorable. Thought that didn't mean she wasn't still apprehensive of the beast.

Mizuki gave Miko her chance to make her pitch, if for no other reason then that they were in her realm. While the proposal was interesting, what stood out more was Akako's rebuttal. She spoke like a true Ietake merchant, cursed to become an Oni and still looking at this like a business proposal. But Mizuki did share some of the blacksmith's concerns, Miko's attitude being one of them. Though of Mizuki, it was less that she had something to gain from the mysterious woman's proposal and more she had nothing left to lose.

"A chance to strike against the the current administration sounds good to me" Mizuki said with a rather bloodthirsty grin. The pink haired ronin had thought her chance at revenge had long pasted. "Though I have to agree that you're tone could use some work. We are the farthest thing from a family. That honor is not so easily earned, and can be lost just as quickly."

When Lord Agares appeared out of the shadows. Mizuki shifted her attention to him "So I assume you're the reason Miko's so confident she can actually become Empress of this war-torn land" Mizuki said. In an instance the ronin drew her sword and pointed it at the supernatural figure. "I hope you don't mind but I'd like to put your assistant to the test Miko" she said taking a battle stance. "It's clear you're no mere manservant. But I doubt just any yokai could bestow the power of the Oni on all of us. So show me who or what you really are."
Last edited by Mark3000 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark3000

Postby exalted » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Miho spat with disdain as the others cow towed, turning her back on the whole affair. She kept her head cocked to the side slightly to keep an eye on the Smith, while she didn't fully like what she said, she talked straight enough to get some begrudging respect.

Miho whirled back around as Miko started to talk again, further proclaiming her treason to burn Miho's ears and sully her name by speaking it in this sordid affair.

"IF YOU COULD STABILIZE THE COUNTRY THEN YOU SHOULD SUPPORT THE EMPEROR!NOT UNDERMINE HIM!" She snapped, her words catching in her throat a moment later as the man appeared.

Her lip slowly curled into snarl as he spoke as well and admitted his guilt in marking them. His clothing offended her as well, reaching of the foreigners corrupting their own fashions. Her mind wandered on what schemes were at play, had this foreign devil manipulated her family's downfall? Did the foreign iron used in the failed assassination belong to him? Had this all been some plot to get her here?

The sound of steel being drawn snapped her back to reality as she instinctively drew her sword as well, dropping into a protective stance to observe what was happening.

While she despised Mizuki with a passion, she could not fault the woman's aggression here. Miho positioned herself nearbye, outside of striking distance from Mizuki in case she got ideas, but in and facing the devil.

"If we take his head, perhaps we can be free of these marks," She barked to the group, hoping some would finally come to their senses and find their honour.
exalted

Postby Lazy Kitsune » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm

All Miko's words seemed to do was spark the tensions in the group that were close to exploding on their own. She showed very little beyond open conempt for the women she had brought into her service, making it difficult for the monk to see how she could possibly be a good ruler, especially with how little of what she said provided useful information Latsu could make use of. Then the introduction of her 'assistant' only proceeded to baffled Katsu further. She would have taken a step back from her hot headed companions to keep a close eye on Lord Agares, his supernatural nature and connection to the mark that brought them here making him a necessity to study, however she was otherwise distracted.

By the way that strange shark Yokai acted. It just flexed and stood behind one of the other women like a well trained pet. Was this really hiw the dreaded Yokai Katsu had been raised to fear acted? Why was this not being addressed? It behaved more like a happy puppy than a beast of nightmares, which only made it all the more difficult gor Katsu to focus on anything else. People wete drawing swords and challenging beings of unknowable power to fights, some with the wise intention to test his capabilities and others more recklessly looking to shed blood. But Katsu detatched herself from such drama. She was well acustomed to seeing how quickly people could turn to violence by this point. Instead she drew back to watch and see who else would be drawn into the fight and if that shark yokai was going to react to the drawing of blades at all.
~Yawn
Lazy Kitsune

Postby Nobudi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:16 am

Kagehoshi believed that her mood couldn't be soured any more than it already was. After all, she was stuck in who knew where with other cursed people and a youkai to apparently serve a madwoman bent on taking over Yamato for herself.

And then it arrived. Her mood went from sour to all but flat out hostile. Forget the shark, it didn't seem too intelligent and was too busy trying to win the attention of another, the one named Agares was without a doubt pulling the strings on this situation.

The one named Miho had a good idea going there, however, Kagehoshi was not under the impression that this was a fight they could win. After all, if Agares was the one that cursed them, that wasn't going to be the limits of his power. She was many things, but stupid was not top among them. After all, she knew exactly how weak she was, to rely on her techniques and understanding of youkai in order to hunt and kill them. It was silly for her to try and outright attempt offense here and now, in an unknown place with no known rules of engagement that were to her advantage.

Seeing weapons being drawn, she did not attempt to move, aside from playing with her spool behind her back. Instead, she coldly addressed the Youkai. "Whatever you wish for us to do, I want no part in it. I refuse to be a pawn in someone else's quest for power. I'm not going to ask for the impossible, but I will demand to be left alone."

She then switched to Miko. "As for you," she said, her voice low and icy. "If you realized what you've done, you'd best remember which is the puppeteer and which is the puppet." And as soon as those words left her mouth, a wave of guilt rolled over her, this verbal betrayal of family-

She blinked, as that sensation was washed over with the feeling of anger, fear and loathing of the youkai responsible. Damn, what was this damned seal doing to her?
Nobudi

Postby Lorielle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm

The situation was getting more and more tense by the second, Mikiko could already feel her blood begin to boil from the sight of the mysterious man who had claimed to give them their marks. Her hands were wrapped around her weapons, but she didn’t go as far as to draw them. Creatures of this strength weren’t be trifled with and if she truly wanted to kill them she would need to wait for a more opportune moment. Especially with that strange.. shark.. dog.. yokai lurking in the background. For now she just took a step back from all would be belligerents waiting to see what was going to happen to the group.
Lorielle

Postby Blue56 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Izumi listens in relative silence, doing her best to sort through the arguments and thinly veiled insults, and pick out only the truth about their situation, or at least as close to it as she could manage. Miko's claim that her right to rule was equal to that of the current emperor was interesting, perhaps she was related to him somehow? Though if that were the case, why would she try to overthrow her own family? There were still too many unknowns, it rendered speculation nearly pointless. The one thing that does stick out to Izumi is Miko's implications of her motives, to unite Yamato against some sort of threat, though she does not outright state what exactly this threat is. This seemed to be the most unbelievable, as a part of the Minamoto intelligence network, she should be aware of any sort of threat to the entire nation, but this was the first she was hearing of it. And yet, the way Miko spoke, it seemed as though she at least believed in what she was saying. "... No, I'm afraid I do not understand. If you tell us that we must unite the land against IT, then it would be helpful to know exactly what IT is..." Izumi replies quietly, once again not bothered by the noble woman's arrogant attitude on display.

Once Miko speaks of a man who knows how they will go about conquering Yamato, things start to become just a little bit clearer. A right hand man who was indispensable sounded more like somebody who was really pulling all the strings behind the scenes, and my does Miko make for a lovely puppet. The name Agares is not one that Izumi recognizes, and it was made apparent why when what can only be a powerful Yokai appears from nowhere. Izumi can feel every hair on her body stand on end as his mere presence almost causes her to flee into the trees out of instinct. Even the shark Yokai, strange though he was, didn't project this kind of aura. Hearing that this Agares is responsible for marking them makes sense, given Miko's admission that she did not how the mark would be removed or how it would help them in their task. Izumi's first thought is similar to Miho's, that killing this monster might free them from their curse, but after a moments thought and a deep breath, it becomes apparent to her that this is not the safest course of action. "Is poison cured by killing the poisoner? Taking his head may free us... or it may ensure that we remain Oni forever." Izumi says, though she takes a step back as she does so. Despite what she had said, she had a feeling that Agares was in no danger of being killed, even if all 8 of them fought together. But it would be a good time to see what everyone was capable of, both Agares and the other Ronin, so Izumi would observe carefully for now.
Blue56

Next

Return to Roleplay