Roleplaying Discussion

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: Roleplaying Discussion

Postby Amaranis A'daragon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Okay, so I've seen a couple of votes for both a revamp of my gladiator game and one of the D&D games.

Now I'm debating if I should do one (And which one), or both.

Suggestions?

(And for the D&D game, I'll be going with the Immortal game, unless you want me to bleed my edgelord evil characters all over you guys.)
Sometimes I think i'm crazy, but then my other voice says i'm alright.

I'm not sure if i'm just too creative, or just cant focus on one thing.
Amaranis A'daragon

Postby exalted » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:12 am

I would say start with one, and then see if you have the time to run another. I'd start with the Gladiator RP, the mechanics were already tested and there's good railroads to keep people from wandering too far off. (That and I must FINALLY BE AVENGED UPON REAPER... Uhhhh KATHERINE)

Of the two DnD choices I would vote for the Piracy one. The Empire building sounds interesting but leaves a lot of chances for people to do some serious undermining of other characters which usually does not end well
exalted

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:22 am

As I don't hold any grudge (not any that are relevant, anyway), but I do have a lot of D&D character ideas I want to try, I'd prefer D&D to the gladiator game.

As for which D&D... while I like both ideas, I think the empire is better suited for PbP game. It would allow the players to do their own thing better than everyone being packed on a single ship, which is relevant, as people will inevitably have different rates of posting. I don't see working against each other as a problem, and even enjoyable as long as everyone is OK with it, but then, my characters tend to have alignment somewhere south of neutral, so I may be biased in that regard.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby Fantasy Fanatic » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Um, so I locked one of my threads in the Private RP section, thinking my partner had grown tired of it, and it was over. Turns out, they were just busy IRL. Is there anyway someone can tell me how to unlock thee thread, or can do so for me?

The thread in question https://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9244

EDIT: RESOLVED
Fantasy Fanatic

Postby Mashugana » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 pm

This seemed about as good a place to ask as any. How should I go about improving my roleplaying quality? I'm dissatisfied with my current abilities and not really confident about roleplaying in online, text based venues as I wish to be.
Look, all I'm saying is that Batboy is our lord and savior.
Mashugana

Postby exalted » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:31 am

You could try to find some online creative writing workshops or exercises to improve your skills.

As a general writing principle you should try to 'show' your reader what is happening and not 'tell' them what is happening. Showing means setting the scene, describing what is happening, what sounds, sights and smells there are, what are people feeling. Telling is almost just don't points in a paragraph, 'they did this, and then that happened, so they did this", it's good for a planing a story but terrible as story.
exalted

Postby MiscChaos » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 am

Through personal experience, what I say is practice, practice, practice. You don't like the way you RP? Do it more. Seek out as many varied people to RP with as possible and see how they do it and how you can incorporate that into your style. Figure out what exactly you dislike about your current style and try to replace it with what tendencies from RPers you think do it better. Or hell, you don't have to practice yourself. Sometimes just reading through the RPs of others can give you new tips and tricks on what to do. Basically I believe your style should always be growing and evolving as you do different characters or get thrown into different situations, so just doing it more will help increase your abilities.

Something completely different, I used to write short stories and that also helped my ability to take on differing personalities from my characters. Dunno how much that'd help though. And like exalted said, creative writing courses/workshops can give you a decent upgrade on your writing abilities.
There's organized chaos, then there's normal chaos. And then there's miscellaneous chaos...
Moderator primarily hanging out in the RP section
Also, ran the Pokemon RP!

Need to contact the moderation team?
MiscChaos

Postby Mashugana » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 am

Yeah, I'll look into some sort of workshop or the like if I can get around to it. It's just that often times stuff comes up and the like, and then next thing you know it's been a couple of weeks and you're kind of forcing yourself and then the post quality suffers as a result.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:43 pm

This is as good place as any, and better than most, I suppose...

It is, unfortunately, clear that LoK forum's roleplaying section is mostly dead. I've had fun here over the years, and while I'll still be lurking in the shadows, I wonder: does anyone know similar, more active platform for lewd RP games? The ones I'm familiar with don't allow smut, and I don't like f-list much. And I'd rather avoid sites mostly for furries.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 am

Not sure, really. Part of the issue is that a lot of sites for that kinda stuff can have some pretty unsavory types on em'. Guess it comes with the territory to an extent, but still. Hell I only got comfortable enough to make an account here after like two and a half years worth of lurking off and on. I wouldn't necessarily mind being part of a group game like what I had going on with Misc and some others, but then me or another person might get caught up in something and then the game'll likely just stall out.
Mashugana

Postby exalted » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:18 pm

So... with a bunch more 1 on 1 rps happening in the other thread.... is there any interest in starting a group one?
exalted

Postby Fantasy Fanatic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:14 pm

exalted Wrote:So... with a bunch more 1 on 1 rps happening in the other thread.... is there any interest in starting a group one?

I'd be interested in joining one, but I don't feel like planning one.
Fantasy Fanatic

Previous

Return to Out of Character