Dead. Zerky killed it for Evil Sadistic fun

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Re: Dead. Zerky killed it for Evil Sadistic fun

Postby musical74 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm

7154. Should I tell them about me and Miss Lynxy? Nah.
7155. Better to keep them guessing, like when Miss Lyxny suggested I had Tiana and I didn't deny it.
musical74

Postby Hugh mann » Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am

7156. *Hears musical74 mumbling to himself like a fucking weirdo*
7157. Hey! Quit mumbling to yourself, you fucking weirdo!
7158. *Throws a shoe at musical74*
Hugh mann

Postby Lynxy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 am

7159. You tell them and it'll be the last time I stomp on your balls you weird little man.
Lynxy

Postby musical74 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 am

7160. Little? I'm 6'3", that's hardly little...
7161. But fine, I'll be quiet.
7162. (Side note: I'm just having fun, it this really does bother someone, PLEASE let me know. It's not my intent to tick people off)
musical74

Postby Hugh mann » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 am

7163. *Snickers* I don't think she was talking about your hight...
7164. *Casts Forbidden Sun at musical74 for writing "It" instead of "If"*
Hugh mann

Postby Lynxy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 pm

7165. lol. Love that you just agree as if you would want me to do that "again" musical.
7166. *sends affinity and a crystal soul spear your way as well for funsies*
7167. It's a rare breed that can offend me, and there won't be any questioning whether or not it's happened if it does.
Lynxy

Postby musical74 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 am

7168. I assumed everything was in fun, but it can be a little hard to read a forum like this sometimes.
7169. There was a case awhile back where I thought I had legitimately ticked off sogekik until he said "I'm actually OK with this"
musical74

Postby sogekik » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 am

7170. you will never tick me off, I have a very narrow emotional range most of the time, and there are very few people who can push me out of it, even if they try.
7171. My emotional range generally varies from, happy, to stressed but happy, and occasionally to apathetically happy. in short I'm usually in a positive mood, which is not to say that I always am, but being angry or sad is fairly rare, though they tend to be more extreme most of the time.
7172. it's fairly obvious if you meet me in real life, I'm pretty much always smiling, or laughing, occasionally smirking,
7173. it probably stems from my generally pessimistic optimism; which yes, I know is almost a contradiction but never the less it seems to be the case, things are good great! things are bad! well, I can improve on that, or it'll get better on its own.
7174. this may also explain why I like dark stuff so much,
sogekik

Postby berserkerhorn » Sun May 26, 2019 5:08 pm

7175. They'll never know what i did
Hi. My name is Silk. You're all, uh... under arrest.
berserkerhorn

Postby Lynxy » Sun May 26, 2019 6:33 pm

7176. Your secret is safe with me.
Lynxy

Postby Hugh mann » Fri May 31, 2019 2:27 am

7177. Hmm, not much happening around here...
7178. *Reverse pickpockets an angry honey badger on to berserkerhorn*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Fri May 31, 2019 2:59 am

7179. I was going to criticize the wording 'reverse pickpockets', but actually there is no word for it exactly, urban dictionary offers reverse pickpocketing or putpocketing, I think I probably prefer the latter, though I think 'Planting' is probably closest to a correct wording.
7180. *plants a log full of bullet ants in Hugh mann's pocket, and offers the honey badger a tortoise*
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 am

7181. I was just using the term I thought people would be most familiar with, but yeah, you right, planting is a better term.
7182. *Takes off ant filled pants and throws them over sogekik's head*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 am

7183: *Dodges the pants and throws the turtle and accompanying honey badger back at Hugh*
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Fri May 31, 2019 7:08 am

7184. *Takes cover behind a tree*
7185. YOU SAID IT WAS A TORTOISE!
7186. *Climbs up the tree, and starts throwing pinecones down at sogekik*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 pm

7187. *shrugs * split the difference and call it a terrapin? I mean technically it's still a turtle, but it has tortoise-like legs, either way the honey badger will eat it
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:24 am

7188. The difference between turtles and tortoise is that turtles can live in water, but tortoise cannot.
7189. And a terrapin is a fresh water turtle. So you're not 'splitting the difference' you're just talking out your ass.
7190. *Throws one last pinecone at sogekik before jumping down and sprinting away*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 pm

7191. I'm well aware of the difference between the two.
7192.you assume that I'm talking Taxonomically and not morphologically. my point as I even explained is that it is still a turtle but shares more physical characteristics with a tortoise. so a terrapin is a turtle that looks like and has legs rather than flippers (the predominant variation aesthetically between (sea) turtles and tortoises in general after all is limbs,) and is therefore aesthetically similar to a turtle. Which you'll notice is a more longwinded way of writing exactly what I did in my last post.
7193. for future reference thinking before arguing is a good idea.
7194.also technically speaking a tortoise is in fact a turtle. tortoises belong to the family Testudinidae which is part of the order Testudines, the latter is turtles, (the word for turtle in latin is Testudo graeca or alternatively, just Testudo which is more likely to be tortoise, Testudines there for actually means tortoises but refers to turtles because science), so actually technically speaking by throwing a tortoise I was, in fact, throwing a turtle.
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 am

7195. What something is, and what something looks like, are not the same thing.
7196. In fact, if you say "6 looks like 9" you are indirectly stating that they are *not the same thing* but look similar.
7197. So, by saying "A terrapin looks like a tortoise" (Which is essentially what you're saying, just with a bunch of big words) you are inadvertently acknowledging the distinction between the two.

7198. Furthermore, a terrapin is not 'technically still a turtle' it *is* a turtle, its 'aesthetic similarity' to a tortoise is irrelevant. So again, you are not 'splitting the difference' by calling it a terrapin.

7199. And to your last point; Yes, tortoise are technically a race of turtles, but they are still distinguished from turtles by their inability to survive in water.

7200. "Testudo graeca" means "Greek tortoise" ...It would be more accurate to say their is no distinction between turtles and tortoise in Latin, like how "Limax" refers to slugs and snails.
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 am

7201. as always you miss the point(s). it is worth noting that my original point about splitting the difference was intended as a joke rather than a statement taking into account scientific or other reasoning. though morphology and aesthetic similarity are different things, granted they often equate to the same thing but they have they're own nuances and logic to them.
7202. also, the usage of morphology, as opposed to a 'looks-like' comparison, is notable as morphology can, for example, be used to refer to aesthetic differences within the same abstraction (species, family, word, thing, etc.). this means that the relationship structure is a little more complex than 'is similar to' (and once again) depending on the abstraction. Hope (an exceptionally rare pinkbelly sideneck turtle) has a different morphology to a standard member of her species but still belongs, a terrapin and a tortoise have similar morphologies but are different species.
7203. 6 and 9 are essentially the same things, they are symbols used to represent a numerical value, this could even be the same value if your working in base 2 then 10 is not ten but rather 2, if your working in base 6 then 10 is six and so on, ultimately the value comes down to the philosophy of the system your using, and that can get strange, but that's a conversation for a different argument.
7204. no, a terrapin is not a turtle, they are actually about as far removed from a turtle as a tortoise is at least in terms of taxonomy, it is technically a turtle but not literally a turtle.
7205. the key difference actually comes from their primary habitat, not there ability to survive in water, none of them can survive in water indefinitely, they all possess lungs, not gills and therefore require air to breathe. each is shaped to their habitat, though it is worth noting that as each given group of species, turtle, terrapin and tortoise all have similar lung structures, it is likely while not suited to swimming at all, surprisingly (considering how frequently this is asked online) I can't find a specific or ballpark figure, probably due mostly to variation in size. though it is worth noting that terrapins can hold they're breath for about half an hour, and sea turtles can hold they're breath for 4-7 hours depending on species, and the fact that there are numerous cases listed online where a turtle has died after a few hours in a pond, (presumably a smaller ones, given that the spur-thighed tortoise grows up to about 8inches and is the most common species for pets) that a terrapin is likely to have a lung capacity closer to a tortoise, not a turtle.
7206. if we assume that therefore respiration, for the most part, is the same then, therefore, the major difference becomes limbs. a terrapin has limbs similar to a tortoise, with some resemblance to a turtle and is therefore about halfway between the two, or at least the closest thing to it, it seems a fair compromise, especially as tortoises were first brought up and as previously mentioned they also have similar capacities for aquatic survival ignoring aquatic mobility, which as one is adapted to rivers and the other land would make sense.
sogekik

PreviousNext

Return to General