Yu-Gi-Oh: Ashes of Dawn(OOC)

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Ashes of Dawn(OOC)

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:53 am

Premise:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

In the not so distant future, a popular card game has become a sort of sport among young adults, causing some to seek to become pros in order to seek their fortune. This change in the sports landscape caused a demand for Academies devoted to this sport to form, causing the creation of Duel Academies. These academies are devoted to teaching professional-level dueling and deck building.

To enter Dawn academy, one only has to prove that they’re not a completely lost cause, which just consists of winning an entrance duel. Despite the relatively easy entrance conditions, Dawn Academy is incredibly prestigious, among the top 3 in the world and known for cranking out some of the professional duelists with the best reputations, naturally causing the student body to be relatively massive, however the academy is more than large enough to accommodate them all, and then some.

However, Dawn Academy isn’t all fun and games, the campus actually lacks many rules, allowing the students to act as they please, so long as they don’t kill or permanently injure each other, and they show up to classes on time, and get good grades, they won’t be bothered. It’s not even uncommon for students to be raped in public after losing a duel.

Character Sheet:

Name:
Gender:(Female is highly recommended, there will be items for temporarily becoming a futanari)
Personality:
Background:
Guild:
Key Card:

HP: 10(Reduced to 0 upon losing a duel, when this stat reaches 0, your character becomes incapacitated)
Strength: 1(Used during non-duel combat for inflicting damage and related checks)
Toughness: 1(Used for reducing damage during non-duel combat related checks)
Dexterity: 1(Used for initiating duels and landing hits, as well as related checks)
Charisma: 1(Used for character interactions and related checks)
Speed: 1(Used for avoiding duels and evading non-duel hits, as well as related checks)
Intelligence: 1(Used for related checks and seeing through deception, as well as perception)
Luck: 1(Grants your character a chance to select which card is copied from an opponent’s deck upon winning duels, and finding items and cards)

Deck(See Deck Building, a screenshot of your deck goes here):

10 Points to Spend. Points into HP are doubled

Mechanics:

Deck:

When building your character’s deck, you select an archetype which you want to use, then use at least 10 monster cards from that archetype, or as many as possible. Any monsters which do not search other monsters(Add a monster from your deck to your hand or from your graveyard to your hand) are limited to 1. Otherwise, any spells and traps may be used. Monsters from other archetypes can not be used unless they help search cards from your selected archetype(For example, if you’re using an A-to-Z deck, Machina Peacekeeper can be used because it searches cards in that archetype, and Machina Gearframe can be used, because it searches Peacekeeper, which searches cards from the A-to-Z archetype.) Your deck is limited to 40 cards, and as many cards in your side deck as you can fit. It’s also recommended that you fit 15 cards into your Extra Deck.

Key Card:

Your Key Card is the monster in your deck which is supposed to be your win condition. For example, in an A-to-Z deck, the Key Card would be ABC Dragon Buster, XYZ Dragon Cannon, or VWXYZ Dragon Catapult Cannon. In an Ancient Gear deck, it would be Ancient Gear Golem, Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon, Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem, or one of the other Fusions, etc. In a Machina deck, it would be Machina Fortress.

Dueling:

When a character chooses to initiate a duel, but the challenged character didn’t agree to it, a skill check is initiated:

Attacker: Speed+1d20=Initiation
Defender: Speed+1d20=Evasion
Phase 2:
Attacker: Dex+1d20=Aim
Defender: Dex+1d20=Defense

Upon failing both the evasion and defense rolls, the duel begins.

https://duelingnexus.com/

Duels will take place on DuelingNexus, as the system is now up to date, and automated, preventing ruling concerns and making it easier to learn quickly. If you have trouble deciding how to build your deck, DuelingBook(https://www.duelingbook.com/) allows you to look through available cards without having to specifically type them in, and you can important your decks from DuelingBook to DuelingNexus relatively easily.

Upon winning a duel, you’ll gain EXP equal to the opponent’s stats, excluding HP, and gain a copy of a random card in the opponent’s deck. Upon raping your opponent, you gain EXP equal to opponent’s stats, excluding HP.

Non-Dueling Combat:

1. attacker: (dex+(possible modifiers influencing hit chance)+1d20 diceroll)= attack
2. defender: (1d20+speed+possible modifiers influencing hit chance)= defense
3a. if attack higher than defense, determine damage: (weapon dicerolls+strength)=damage
3b. if attack crits, double damage: ((weapon dicerolls+strength)*2)=damage
3c. if attack misses, sucks to be you.
4. (damage-toughness)= damage taken (subtract from hp)

Ranking and Guilds:

In the Duel Academy, a character’s ranking is very important, because as you ascend the ranks, you’re more likely to be selected to represent your Guild or your Academy as a whole in competitions. Your ranking also affects how other characters see you, and how much they respect you.

You ascend the rankings of your guild by winning duels. After winning enough duels, you may go to your guild leader and apply for an exam, and upon passing that exam, you win a card and a new title.

Fire Star:
From lowest to highest:
Spark: Wears a white jacket, and is usually bossed around by the other ranks and treated as cannon fodder or bench-warmers
Ember: Wears a black jacket and is treated as an actual member of the team, though still often bossed around by everyone not a Spark. Treated as errand runners for easy tasks
Flame: Wears a black jacket with red stylings. A respected member of the guild, used to go on most missions and is the backbone of the guild. Only the most aggressive of the Blaze and Inferno’s tend to bully the Flame’s
Blaze: Wears a black jacket with orange ornate stylings and made with much more fanciful fabric. Highly respected even by the Inferno’s, these are selected for the hardest of missions, and working with one is considered a great honor.
Inferno: Wears a black jacket with red, orange, and yellow stylings all over it. The fabric is made out of the highest grade materials. Invited to all of the parties, and handle the most important tasks. They can boss around all the lower ranks. Inferno’s are the test proctors and determine whether the testees pass or fail, and working with them is considered the highest honor.

Archfiend:
From lowest to highest:
Vile Pawn: Wears a dark green cape. Treated as test subjects and cannon fodder, are looked down upon, but most accept they play a vital role in their ranks.
Death Rook: Wears a dark green cape with purple stylings. Treated as foot soldiers and sent on easier missions, or harder ones en masse.
Shadow Knight: Wears a purple cape with green stylings, the fabric is higher quality, and they have access to personalized styles. Treated as the equivalent of a sergeant. Experienced foot soldiers that should be used to lead Death Rooks. Always sent on harder missions.
Dark Bishop: Wears a purple cape. Have access to personalized styles. Treated as commanders and assassins. Sent on difficult missions and used as bodyguards for the Terror king/Infernal Queen.
Terror King/Infernal Queen: Wears a very ornate purple full mantle with intricate stylings of a color of their choosing. As well as a crown. Treated as generals. Sent on the hardest of missions and to command large groups of their forces. Always accompanied by a squad of proven loyal Dark Bishops.

Ninja:
From lowest to highest:
Genin: Wears a pure white hoodie. Treated with respect, but viewed as incompetent pupils. Often relegated to simple training, but occasionally accompanied higher ranks in missions.
Chunin: Wears a green hoodie. Treated with respect and viewed as simple peers, they are the backbone of their forces and are used for the most missions.
Jounin: Wears a blue hoodie, treated with more respect than the lower ranks and is viewed as the experienced members. Is sent on the harder missions, and can be often found training Genin.
Grand Master: Wears a red hoodie. Treated as with utmost respect and viewed as an elder. Is usually sent on assassinations or as the public face of their strength. Is usually accompanied by a pair of Jounin in missions.
Shogun: Wears a black hoodie. Treated with the most respect out of any rank and is viewed as the masters of their art. Is the hidden face of power of their guild and is only sent on the riskiest of missions, often alone. Though they may occasionally bring a pair of Shogun with them.

Discord:

https://discord.gg/Pu8STjY

Carnival of Rust RP Chat(Please join if playing, makes things so much easier): https://discord.gg/Ahdg2SX

The Unofficial Legend of Krystal Forum Discord Chat:
https://discord.gg/Z8KtzqT
RandomRoninKitten

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh: Ashes of Dawn(OOC)

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm

The following decks can be played together when deck building:

Photon and Galaxy

When using deck which requires multiple archetypes, you only need to meet the minimal 10-monster criteria with the one which is selected as the archetype you're playing, the secondary is treated as support and you may use as few or as many(total) as needed.

The list will be updated as more archetypes that need each other to function are found. If you're curious about one, just ask.

Carnival of Rust RP Chat(Please join if playing, makes things so much easier): https://discord.gg/Ahdg2SX

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Soru » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 pm

I might interested in this; kind of wondered how a yugioh RP would even go since playing out duals could be tedious.

Gives me a chance to have Dark Magician Girl involved though; was thinking of a Magician Girl deck.
Soru

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 am

Soru Wrote:I might interested in this; kind of wondered how a yugioh RP would even go since playing out duals could be tedious.

Gives me a chance to have Dark Magician Girl involved though; was thinking of a Magician Girl deck.

Go for it, I'd love to see someone play Magician Girls. When actually playing the game, you mostly see the same decks, over and over, so it would be VERY refreshing to see unique decks like Magician Girls in the RP.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Soru » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:55 am

I would think for something for fun people would do more theme decks for fun rather than just meta decks.
Soru

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:36 am

Soru Wrote:I would think for something for fun people would do more theme decks for fun rather than just meta decks.

I would, but at least in this RP, Tier 1 and 2 aren't allowed, so nothing but fun~

RandomRoninKitten

Postby MASigma » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:37 am

I'd be willing to jump into this, been a while since I've played the card game personally as things got a little too complicated with Pendulum and what not lol
MASigma

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am

MASigma Wrote:I'd be willing to jump into this, been a while since I've played the card game personally as things got a little too complicated with Pendulum and what not lol

The other people intending to join are mostly learning/relearning the game anyway, and with meta disallowed, you have little to worry about, especially with the deck restrictions.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Soru » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I hope we're not using those new Link Rules and format with those link monsters. I sort of stopped being into Yugioh during the 5Ds anime. I later finished watching that anime and watched the first season of Zexel so I know about XYZ summons but not pendulum summons, though Ive heard those can be super broken. I prefer up to Zexel stuff, so fusions, synchros, and XYZs are fine. I got back into Yugioh not too long ago, within the last year or so. I might need to catch up on some things but I know pretty much all the basic rules.
Soru

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:35 am

Soru Wrote:I hope we're not using those new Link Rules and format with those link monsters. I sort of stopped being into Yugioh during the 5Ds anime. I later finished watching that anime and watched the first season of Zexel so I know about XYZ summons but not pendulum summons, though Ive heard those can be super broken. I prefer up to Zexel stuff, so fusions, synchros, and XYZs are fine. I got back into Yugioh not too long ago, within the last year or so. I might need to catch up on some things but I know pretty much all the basic rules.

We're using Master Rule 4, it really isn't complicated, plus Dueling Nexus is automated, so nobody will have trouble figuring out the rules. Don't worry.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Soru » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 am

What is Master Rule 4? I don't really know any rule sets...just that they add new things with every new anime series and with the latest one they added those link monsters and a new format which made it so you pretty much need Link Monsters.
Soru

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Soru Wrote:What is Master Rule 4? I don't really know any rule sets...just that they add new things with every new anime series and with the latest one they added those link monsters and a new format which made it so you pretty much need Link Monsters.

Pendulums are now in the left and right side of the spell and trap zone, extra deck monsters are summoned to the left or right spot above the monster zones, and Link Monsters must be used to increase the number of extra zones you have, as zones they point to become Extra Zones. It's pretty simple, but a lot of people choose not to learn.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby mrblah » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am

Name: Aubree Sterling
Personality: Those who know of the pop star Aubree Sterling would call her the cool and cute but mature type who'd play the more serious role of the pop idol group MAGIstar. In interviews, she'd come off as the drier character, the straight man to their punchlines. She'd be witty and sarcastic, but not unapproachable. Kind and smiling often, but the type of small smile that would make one see her as a more mild type...

For the most part, Aubree's act plays pretty true to who she is. She's just as calm as would be expected, and Aubree does have a rather dry and witty sense of humor, but the truth of the matter is that her personality is marginalized for viewer safety. Her outlook in life is bleak and nihilistic with a brutally honest delivery. Her humor is macabre and often sarcastic or ironic. Her coolness is ice cold and aloof. Her dryness and straight man role is derived from her Debbie downer tendencies as she'll always seek to remind everyone that, yes, we're all going to die and likely most of us will die young.

Aubree's also very fun loving and wild with a strong rebellious streak. She doesn't get along with authority figures, but when she has to play along with them, she's smart enough to withhold her contempt for them. That dislike stems mostly from her bad experiences with 'leaders' in the past, with the best example being her time with her mother.
Appearance:

Background:

Aubree Sterling is a former pop idol who was once in the pop group MAGIstar. She's the daughter of a single mother named Maggie who also acted as her talent agent, with a non-present father who abandoned her family when she was young. Her lack of a father never seriously bothered Aubree much, however, as she was too busy with too many other things in her life to care, one of them being her job. Aubree Sterling was practically born as an idol, and she only had ever known stardom her whole life. Her mother had thrust her into the celebrities world as soon as her prodigious singing voice was discovered, and from there she'd only know of practicing, singing, dancing, and working, but very little of motherly affection or friendship. Not even from her idol group. She joined them at the age of 14, and they'd all been much more concerned with their own matters to care for her.

Time past, MAGIstar grew up, and Aubree had learned a great deal about people and their motivations. Everyone wanted the same things, in the end. Her mother Maggie wanted money and a glamorous life, and used her to get to it, her fellow pop stars wanted fame and love, her fans wanted to idolize 'cute' girls in frilly clothing and half of them probably wanted to fuck them. Big companies wanted more money, governments wanted more power, people wanted more of everything, everyone just wanted more things to want... and it was tiring being in the middle of so much of it. She was just a girl who liked to sing when she was younger, but Maggie had tried to make her a cash cow. It was a business, and she was getting screwed over with no return.

But to her, that was just the way life worked. Aubree had greatly matured over the years and understood the harshness of the world. At the age of 15, a crazed fan once stalked her and another idol of MAGIstar (which inspired her mother to leave her under constant watch of her own personal security), and at 16, she was already sneaking away from said security detail to go have some fun. Said fun consisted mostly of going to parties with her floozy fellow idols, getting drunk, doing drugs, and whatever else her mother would never want her to do. At just one of these parties Aubree had even lost her virginity, and from there on... let's just say she's been sexually active, no need to go into detail.

Something was missing from Aubree's life, however. Something... meaningful. She could have all the fun she wanted under her mother's nose, but ultimately, she was still working under her mother's nose. Her life wasn't hers to live even as she was trying to do what she wanted to, and that had to change.

Aubree had said as much to her mother, but Maggie wouldn't have it. They argued, and argued, and tensions rose higher as they argued. In all of that heat and emotion, something drastic simply had to happen. Someone had to storm away from the other, or maybe things would even get violent... but instead of that, the Sterlings came to an agreement.

Aubree would be given more freedom. She'd be allowed to leave MAGIstar and go independent, and she'd have a vacation before she would pursue her solo career. Aubree figured that she'd use her vacation to try something she'd never been allowed to do in a formal capacity; attend a Dueling Academy. She never had the time to play much Duel Monsters as she was growing up, but since it was such a popular game, avoiding it entirely wouldn't have been possible, and her group actually sponsored a specific archetype named Trickstar. She had her own deck and everything, so sometimes she'd play with the rest of her group. It was fun, and she wasn't the worst in the group...

Besides, she knew Maggie hated Duel Monsters, so attending a Dueling Academy would be the biggest 'fuck you' she could manage.

Guild: Ninja
Key Card: Trickstar Bella Madonna

HP: 10
Strength: 2
Toughness: 1
Dexterity: 2
Charisma: 5
Speed: 3
Intelligence: 3
Luck: 1

Deck: Trickstar
imagine a loading screen that loads a new loading screen.
mrblah

Location: that special hell when you're still a noob even if you have 10 posts

Postby Soru » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 am

Oh, so we are using those link rules then. I don't even know if I can use the deck I want now then since now almost all decks essentially require Link Monsters now and I'm not sure if any are useable with the deck I want.
Soru

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:44 am

Soru Wrote:Oh, so we are using those link rules then. I don't even know if I can use the deck I want now then since now almost all decks essentially require Link Monsters now and I'm not sure if any are useable with the deck I want.

If you make a Dueling Book account, you can look through all of the existing Link Monsters to check.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Kaiza » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 am

Name: Kayla Galatea

Personality: Kayla is generally unsocial, preferring to stick to herself and avoid most conversations. She becomes hostile when people try to force her to engage in socialization at the expense of her personal space, although she prefers to tell people off rather than resort to violence. Violence is used mainly when she feels threatened in the process.

The secret to getting to the nicer side of her is to let her be herself and to stay around while letting her keep her space; she isn’t one to turn down every question, an innocent question or two will get a reply from her. She reacts with suspicion to random acts of kindness but if repeated over time they will soften the shell of hostility she placed around herself, although it wont always show immediately

Kayla also shows no hostility to children and has no quarrels with their company; this includes actual children, or people who look close to one despite their age

She also possesses a vivid imagination and a strong sense of curiosity, and a willingness to try things, but she prefers to try things on her own first

Appearance: (reference image will be given later)

Background: With her family slain in the cartel wars in Mexico, Kayla was moved to an orphanage to await adoption in the near war torn country. But around the age of 15 and no adoption prospects Kayla had to face the reality that she was going to have to live on her own. From a young age she branched out into the field of work, landing a job as a scrap yard worker, where her age, appearance and gender got her harassed by some co workers and many people from her still degenerate community, only worsening her outlook on not just life but on people; the only solace she had was a card game she took her chance at during her off hours after observing young children play it. At times when things got really stressful she’d just play that game by herself to take things off her mind.

Things took a turn for the worse when she was assaulted and nearly raped on her way home, but with the use of her tools did far more damage to her attackers than they did to her, while only sealing her dislike for others in general.

At the age of 18 she was evicted from the orphanage and tried opening her own scrapyard at an abandoned warehouse she found when she was younger by obtaining the permit from the previous “owner” at a cheap cost. But at the age of 19 she was hit with an eviction notice by people who said they were the actual owner; she was scammed. Given the actual value of the land her current profession could not hope to pay off. With the scammer unable to be found and very little other options, she overheard of the duel academy and the fundings it can supply and decided to try her luck there until further notice

Guild: Fire Star

Key Card: T.G. Halberd Cannon
Kaiza
Newly Registered

Postby KallenKrede » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 am

As a duelist in real life, I'm interested. Am I correct to assume this will be in Link Format?
KallenKrede

Postby KallenKrede » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 am

Read through again, sorry for the redundant question. I'll get to work on my CS
KallenKrede

Postby KallenKrede » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 am

Last question, I believe: Is there going to be a money system/shop? Somewhere we can sell cards/buy packs?
KallenKrede

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 am

KallenKrede Wrote:Last question, I believe: Is there going to be a money system/shop? Somewhere we can sell cards/buy packs?

I'll probably put one together after the RP starts. There probably does need to be a method for getting cards other than copying a defeated opponent's card.

RandomRoninKitten

Next

Return to Out of Character