Roleplaying Discussion

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: Roleplaying Discussion

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 pm

I was thinking about an RP, when I realized that I'm already GMing 2.5 and don't want to fall behind on either one, so I'll post the idea here for someone else to GM if they're interested:

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Opening post:

The days of flamboiant superhero teams have long since passed, with a connection to the Grid unheard of in today's society, to such an extent that most have forgotten about the existence of the Grid entirely. With the human race's colonized planets now under siege by a race of sentient machines, the Sentema, and a race of nightmarish monsters who seem to mutate individually at random, the Neinundo.

With the human race fighting in a three-way war against the Neinundo and Sentema, the Grid is needed now more than ever, however should it empower anyone, could one truly say that the few options it has are truly just?

Explanation:

Basically, the Grid refers to a source of unlimited power which uses objects it creates as conduits to tap into that power to strengthen an individual which wields these objects. These objects could be any accessory, such as a phone, a wrist watch, a pair of sunglasses, etc. Basically, when in possession of this object, one is made faster, tougher, and stronger, granted a single special power, and is given the ability to temporarily tap into the Grid even further to equip themselves with a suit of unique power armor, which even further augments their physical abilities, as well as granting them access to their own unique weapons.

Mechanics:

While I haven't gotten down to the specifics, as I'm sure one would be able to come up with something better than what I'm tweaking for CoR and experimenting with in Syndicate Six, I'm thinking that tapping further into the Grid would be a sort of hyper mode which grants the user a stat boost for the duration, and the player would have a counter which drains as the form is used, and refills while outside of that state. Probably outside of their MP stat or Energy stat, so that players aren't tempted to forgo their other abilities in favor of just using their Hyper Mode.

As far as the idea of hyper mode weapons, I'm not sure if it would work better to use a separate set of weapons, or use weapons with a specific stat value that makes them better than what the player otherwise has available. Alternatively, the player could instead, outside of hyper mode, have access to specific skills, like in Pokemon, which replace weapons, and when transformed, gain weapons to augment your attacks.

Carnival of Rust RP Chat(Please join if playing, makes things so much easier): https://discord.gg/Ahdg2SX

The Unofficial Legend of Krystal Forum Discord Chat:
https://discord.gg/Z8KtzqT
RandomRoninKitten

Postby mrblah » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 am

so i had the idea of making a mobster tech noir rp with pvp elements, and that led to me using up my whole day off to make the ooc thread. figured i'd see if there's any interest for it before posting it up. even though i know good and well that i'm gonna do it regardless, since i've come this far.

basically; its a team vs team type situation in which two competing mafia families square off for control of a cyberpunk-like city's crime world. it's gonna have guns, and robot cops, and flying ships, and al capone, and prostitution, and... just all the normal stuff of a noir film.
imagine a loading screen that loads a new loading screen.
mrblah

Location: that special hell when you're still a noob even if you have 10 posts

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:38 am

mrblah Wrote:so i had the idea of making a mobster tech noir rp with pvp elements, and that led to me using up my whole day off to make the ooc thread. figured i'd see if there's any interest for it before posting it up. even though i know good and well that i'm gonna do it regardless, since i've come this far.

basically; its a team vs team type situation in which two competing mafia families square off for control of a cyberpunk-like city's crime world. it's gonna have guns, and robot cops, and flying ships, and al capone, and prostitution, and... just all the normal stuff of a noir film.

Buuut does rape replace death or can players be killed off?

Carnival of Rust RP Chat(Please join if playing, makes things so much easier): https://discord.gg/Ahdg2SX

RandomRoninKitten

Postby mrblah » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:03 am

i think for this setting it'd be impossible to leave player death off the table, but in most cases, rape would probably replace death since i prefer to have my players live, at least for awhile.
imagine a loading screen that loads a new loading screen.
mrblah

Location: that special hell when you're still a noob even if you have 10 posts

Postby Mark3000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:45 am

I'd definitely but up for something like that.
Mark3000

Postby Reaperbones » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:55 am

I might be down
Reaperbones

Postby Mark3000 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm

So a while back I mentioned wanting to do a League of Legends-est RP. While I'm still working on the story (I was thinking of having players meet at a Tournament or online to play a simple round). What I have finished are rules for my fake moba and creating a champion. If I were to post those, would anyone be interesting in trying their hand at making one?
Mark3000

Postby that man » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:27 am

Mark3000 Wrote:So a while back I mentioned wanting to do a League of Legends-est RP. While I'm still working on the story (I was thinking of having players meet at a Tournament or online to play a simple round). What I have finished are rules for my fake moba and creating a champion. If I were to post those, would anyone be interesting in trying their hand at making one?

Sure, why not. I'm kind of curious to see what we can do with it.
that man

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Mark3000 Wrote:So a while back I mentioned wanting to do a League of Legends-est RP. While I'm still working on the story (I was thinking of having players meet at a Tournament or online to play a simple round). What I have finished are rules for my fake moba and creating a champion. If I were to post those, would anyone be interesting in trying their hand at making one?

Status of this RP? Also, it would probably be easier to work with if it was A MOBA RP, rather than specifically League of Lame, unless you're intending to do something with League of Lame lore specifically.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Mark3000 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 pm

RandomRoninKitten Wrote:

Status of this RP? Also, it would probably be easier to work with if it was A MOBA RP, rather than specifically League of Lame, unless you're intending to do something with League of Lame lore specifically.

Yea I was intending a MOBA RP. I just used LOL as a convenient reference point. I know jack all about the game's Lore. I have the system written out along with a few champions drawn out. But I'm still thinking of the best way to show characters on the map. I might just make the maps and have rows and columns labels so people can say where they move to "i.e, Move Champion A from E6 to G4"

In truth I put it on the back burner for a bit because:

1: I'm going through of bit of a GM funk. Especially with my current game. I don't know if I could see it through.

2: I'm sort of stuck on what to do story wise. I was thinking of keeping the MOBA's Lore open ended so people could be free to create the champions of their liking. But the more test Champions I created, the more in-depth I had to make the game. I have about 5-6 "nations" and an option for characters from unknown lands. But I gotta actually write out what their backstory. Just enough so people have an idea what they're about.

There was also the story of the players who play my mock MOBA. I was thinking of starting out with them playing and online match then playing in a tournament at a convention. But I don't know if that would be enjoyable.
Mark3000

Postby exalted » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am

So started getting back into 40K and loving some of the new ork stuff.

Is there any interest in people wanting to play a 40K Speed freek/ Mad Max style game?

I've run a few in the past that were pretty successful.
exalted

Postby CondorBoH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Hey yall, I was going to give running a game another shot. Basically resurrecting one of my older ideas in a more functional fashion: Players will be split into two camps of Monsters and warriors of the Divine Order. Both sides are basically competing to restore their power and bases, after the loss of their respective leaders, before the other side does and promptly overwhelms them. Heavy corrupting flair going on. I aim for it to run for a while, but with the holiday season coming up replies will absolutely be spotty.
CondorBoH

Postby Amaranis A'daragon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 pm

So, I have a couple of different stories that I have been thinking about for a while, and would like to see what everyone thinks about them. (Really living up to my signature.)

The first two are based on D&D 5E games that I played/ran. They would use D&D mechanics and stats for ease.

The travels of the Immortal

This one is a game a friend of mine and I pitched to our DM. This game was all about doing two things most players would be scared of: striking it out into a world where we would rarely visit the same city twice, and sailing. The ocean in D&D has usually been a scary place, so we usually avoid it in my group. This game has the players running a ship that would often resort to piracy. I had the idea to run it like so: players would roll/allocate stats, and then decide after being recruited/press ganged/kidnapped onto the ship to join the crew. This would allow for more varied backgrounds than just sailor to be used, as well as having more interesting backstories able to be made. Example: The crew of the Immortal kidnap a person with the noble background, not for ransom, but because they could, and then the noble decides they want to stay instead of being locked in the shackles of politics (or tries to escape back to it if the character misses being waited on hand and foot).

The rebirth of an empire

This is the second D&D game I will be pitching. The players would be all people who helped overthrow a tyrant who was running a country into the ground, and helping rebuild the country. However, things aren't as simple as they seem. Not only do the players need to find people who would take advantage of the chaos for their own game, but also decide what they themselves want to gain in this new country order? What other forces are trying to rise out of this chaos?

The next two are games that I tried to run on here before I went on my *cough cough* hiatus, and would like to try my hand at again. These games would use either a d20 or d100 system. (Or something else, who knows? I'm just working on the premise right now.)

The Hero School

This game would be run similarly to both My Hero Academia and Sky High. Everyone will be fledgling people with powers, and be in a school like setting where they are not the minority. Characters will start off with a basic power, and as they grow, they will either enhance the power they already have, or develop powers that help them negate the negatives of the power they already have. Example 1: A character has the ability to create fire, but can only shoot it out of their hands. As they level up their control, they could coat a part of their body in the fire for a physical attack. Example 2: A person has super strength, but breaking through concrete hurts. After doing this for a while, they develop a minor regeneration power to heal themselves so their muscles and skin will recover faster than normal, allowing them to use their power more often.

Pokemon: Rocket world

Instead of the more scattered approach I was working with before, I would be starting everyone off in a trainer school. In this world, Red did not defeat Team Rocket, and they grew to be a controlling force in the world. In a world where to lose a battle is to have your pokemon possibly taken away, bought and sold, bred for profit: what would you do to keep your partners with you? Non-consent, brutality, and blackmail are going to be pretty prevalent in the role play on my side, but players can be as good, bad or neutral to their surroundings as they would like.
Sometimes I think i'm crazy, but then my other voice says i'm alright.

I'm not sure if i'm just too creative, or just cant focus on one thing.
Amaranis A'daragon

Postby RandomRoninKitten » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Amaranis A'daragon Wrote:So, I have a couple of different stories that I have been thinking about for a while, and would like to see what everyone thinks about them. (Really living up to my signature.)

The first two are based on D&D 5E games that I played/ran. They would use D&D mechanics and stats for ease.

The travels of the Immortal

This one is a game a friend of mine and I pitched to our DM. This game was all about doing two things most players would be scared of: striking it out into a world where we would rarely visit the same city twice, and sailing. The ocean in D&D has usually been a scary place, so we usually avoid it in my group. This game has the players running a ship that would often resort to piracy. I had the idea to run it like so: players would roll/allocate stats, and then decide after being recruited/press ganged/kidnapped onto the ship to join the crew. This would allow for more varied backgrounds than just sailor to be used, as well as having more interesting backstories able to be made. Example: The crew of the Immortal kidnap a person with the noble background, not for ransom, but because they could, and then the noble decides they want to stay instead of being locked in the shackles of politics (or tries to escape back to it if the character misses being waited on hand and foot).

The rebirth of an empire

This is the second D&D game I will be pitching. The players would be all people who helped overthrow a tyrant who was running a country into the ground, and helping rebuild the country. However, things aren't as simple as they seem. Not only do the players need to find people who would take advantage of the chaos for their own game, but also decide what they themselves want to gain in this new country order? What other forces are trying to rise out of this chaos?

The next two are games that I tried to run on here before I went on my *cough cough* hiatus, and would like to try my hand at again. These games would use either a d20 or d100 system. (Or something else, who knows? I'm just working on the premise right now.)

The Hero School

This game would be run similarly to both My Hero Academia and Sky High. Everyone will be fledgling people with powers, and be in a school like setting where they are not the minority. Characters will start off with a basic power, and as they grow, they will either enhance the power they already have, or develop powers that help them negate the negatives of the power they already have. Example 1: A character has the ability to create fire, but can only shoot it out of their hands. As they level up their control, they could coat a part of their body in the fire for a physical attack. Example 2: A person has super strength, but breaking through concrete hurts. After doing this for a while, they develop a minor regeneration power to heal themselves so their muscles and skin will recover faster than normal, allowing them to use their power more often.

Pokemon: Rocket world

Instead of the more scattered approach I was working with before, I would be starting everyone off in a trainer school. In this world, Red did not defeat Team Rocket, and they grew to be a controlling force in the world. In a world where to lose a battle is to have your pokemon possibly taken away, bought and sold, bred for profit: what would you do to keep your partners with you? Non-consent, brutality, and blackmail are going to be pretty prevalent in the role play on my side, but players can be as good, bad or neutral to their surroundings as they would like.

I'd be interested in the Hero School one. I'd probably join the rest, but the Hero School one is the one I'm most interested in.

Also, if you have a Discord, I suggest joining the Unofficial LoK Discord listed in my Signature.

RandomRoninKitten

Postby Firehead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I would definitely be interested in either of the D&D games, but I'd be most interested in the Pokemon game.
Firehead

Postby exalted » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 pm

I'd be down with anything but the pokemon. If you're open to ideas Amaranis, we could try doing the Bloody Halo/Gladiator RP again, that was great fun but never really got a chance to get off the ground.
exalted

Postby Blue56 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:11 pm

I'd also be interested in a hero school rp. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Blue56

Postby Littlemankitten » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 am

I concur with Ronin and Blue
I hurt you, I heal you, I hurt you again. That's the pattern.
Littlemankitten

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

I know I'm late to the party, I'm not checking non-private game section often, as there generally aren't many games anymore, and you've already started the superhero thing, but I would be up for both D&D games, and second Exalted's idea of resurrecting the gladiator RP.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby exalted » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Aesa and Katherine never did get to settle their feud... in either attempt.

exalted

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character