[HTML5/WIN] Vacation in Ninja-Land 0.04

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[HTML5/WIN] Vacation in Ninja-Land 0.04

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 am

VacationinNinjaLandScreenShots.png

(actually game graphics are not censored)

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14VUD8 ... kuwV6QAmby

HTML5 LINK: https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/gam ... 44/preview

The plan here is to make a simple interactive adventure game using RPGMaker. The overall goal is to test the use 3D graphics in RPG Maker and see what I can get away with. It'll be something like Knarf's Quest or Frank's Adventure. Beyond that, I don't have any huge plans, so I'm open to suggestions about what happens in this adventure.

And credit where credit is due, the 3D environments come from Synty Studio's Polygon Samurai Pack. There are no interior graphics in this pack, which is why the houses in this game have RPG Maker graphics, but I'm going to try making my own interior graphics at some point.

Come visit me on Patreon for this and other projects: https://www.patreon.com/acethesupervillain

Enjoy.
Last edited by AcetheSuperVillain on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: [RPGM-MV] Vacation in Ninja-Land (Early Alpha)

Postby kvier » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 am

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:About 11.5MB of that is the character sheets, since they are unindexed, since color indexed pngs have an on-off alpha value instead of an alpha channel.
indexed PNG is supposed to support an RGBA value per palette entry, not just on/off....

So yeah, whatever, plenty of room for more 3D graphics, and if anyone has any ideas about slimming down RPGM games, I'd love to hear them.
Heaviest thing first: The default program that runs an RPGMMV game is a copy of nwjs; it doesn't change frequently. If you split out the files in the directory with Game.exe (and the locales subdirectory) separate from the www directory, that halves the size of what a person would have to re-download to get the newest version.

The next heaviest thing is the tilesets; they're 17MB because they're again stored as 32bpp. Unfortunately, many of them include enough different color themes that it's hard to fit the 24 different tilesets into a single 8-bit palette. You could delete any ones you're not using... or blank out any portions of ones you're not using.

It also looks like Game.exe can correctly deal with JPGs that have the wrong filename ending (e.g. create SF_Outside_A4.jpg and rename it to replace SF_Outside_A4.png )
kvier

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 am

Huh, cool stuff.

I guess for indexed PNGs, maybe it's GIMP's way of indexing colors, since technically it removes the alpha channel before ever saving as png. I guess I'll look into it. I've heard on the RPGM forums about programs like pngCrush or something that might do a better job than GIMP does.

The tilesets can allegedly go away completely at some point. I still have them for a couple interior rooms that I'll eventually replace with 3D backgrounds.

The JPG thing is interesting. Obviously, JPGs don't have transparency, so they would be limited to the backgrounds and rewardCG. The backgrounds might not match up as well with the overlays if one is JPG and one is PNG, but for the rewardCG, JPG compression is better looking than the current PNG compression, so that's a thought.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby theressomeonehere » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 am

Not much to see, so not much to say. I do like what you've got so far though.

I eagerly await further updates.
theressomeonehere

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am

Alright, I guess I really underestimated the file footprint of the tilesets, so I've done some more aggressive trimming, and managed to knock that zip down from 91MB to 50MB. Still gynormous, but less wasteful, I guess.

I also want to start making a list of ideas. I'll put the specifics in spoilers, in case people prefer to be surprised, but I will say up front that I'm not into most of the dark themes that people put in hentai games, like rape, torture, mind breaking, incest, etc. The characters are on a fun, sexy vacation, and we're on a fun sexy vacation with them. Also, making new character models & rigs is kind of a big deal, so I can't do a new character for every little sub-adventure, but it's also not that big of a deal, so there probably will be a few extra characters. There are NPCs that come with the Polygon Samurai Pack that the environment graphics come from, but I don't think they'll be useful for sex scenes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Radishes: The girls are intrigued by Ninja-land's native daikon radishes, and buy some to shove into their various holes. I have various other props which could be inserted into their various holes in the same manner, but I don't know how far I could really take this concept.
World's Oldest Profession: The girls need money, or need local currency, so they sell their bodies for some extra cash.
Different Outfit Requirements: I'm thinking that NPCs might react to the girls differently depending on what outfits they are wearing. For example, a shopkeeper might freak out if they're running around naked and not sell anything, or wearing the ninja costumes might get them into the secret ninja club.
Public Exhibition: Streaking down mainstreet, maybe the girls dare each other, or this happens if you're walking around with no clothes.
Punishment/Curse: The girls get physically punished or magically cursed for accidentally disturbing something or maybe for constant sexual deviancy.
Secret Strip Show: There's a secret or exclusive strip club that the girls want to get into, but they need special knowledge, a special pass or lots of money to enter.
Big Boob Potion: Secret ninja magic potion makes their boobs grow huge.
Tentacles/Monsters: The girls find and fuck a tentacle creature (alien/octopus/vines/etc) and/or some kind of other fantasy monster, like an ogre or huge bug. I have a few such things ready to use.
Drugs: The girls acquire some recreational drugs (or just booze) that make them do something they normally wouldn't. Although, it sounds like they're naturally pretty uninhibited.

And so these various episodes might tie into one another. Like maybe the girls do prostitution to get money to buy radishes, or getting the ninja badge to enter the ninja club where they find secret ninja magic big boob potion and secret ninja magic marijuana.
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: [HTML5/WIN] Vacation in Ninja-Land (Early Alpha)

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 pm

Good News, Everybody!

I fixed the HTML5 thing, so now you can test the early alpha version of Vacation in Ninja-Land without downloading a giant RPGMaker file. I'll still do the downloadable version too, I know some folks prefer it.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby kvier » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 am

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:I guess for indexed PNGs, maybe it's GIMP's way of indexing colors, since technically it removes the alpha channel before ever saving as png.
Yeah, GIMP doesn't support what's referred to as "RGBA palette". I'm uncertain if any editors do.

The JPG thing is interesting. Obviously, JPGs don't have transparency, so they would be limited to the backgrounds and rewardCG. for the rewardCG, JPG compression is better looking than the current PNG compression, so that's a thought.
Obviously since you're not using tilesets, this doesn't matter: since JPEG artifacts are on 8x8 pixel borders (as long as chroma subsampling is disabled), that aligns very nicely with the tileset 24x24 tile segments. Unfortunately many (but not all!) of the tilesets use alpha.

The backgrounds might not match up as well with the overlays if one is JPG and one is PNG
I don't think there's a good reason that would happen? Other than stylistic clash between overcompressed JPEGs and dithering in PNGs?
kvier

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 am

Oh right, so I just googled "reduce png size" and there are at least 2 websites that do it for free, compresspng and tinypng. CompressPNG also allows you to select how many colors you want, which can further reduce the png size, though at the cost of quality. The main benefactor of these websites has been the character sheets, from 11MB or whatever I said down to 3MB. I tried it on the reward CG as well, but this doesn't look any different to GIMP's color indexing, since there's no transparency.

There's actually already some bad matching between the overlays and the backgrounds because they each have different color indexes. I could fix this with a slightly different workflow, as long as they're both PNG, but not if one is PNG and one is JPG. (Which is on my list of things to fix, but I might redo the map renders at some point to line them up better with the grid anyways) But yes, the main concern is the difference between JPG compression and PNG compression.

Also, hey, if anyone here is familiar with RPG Maker plugins, I'd be interested in a way to set the y-offset for specific characters. This is part of why there is some wonkiness in how the grid interacts, the wallaby characters are much higher up on the grid because their long tails hang down. I saw some tutorials about how to change the y-offset in general, but they don't seem to work, I dunno if I'm doing it wrong, or if maybe some MV update has made them obsolete, who knows.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Things are moving along. I don't know how far away I am from a presentable update, but I've finished some important but boring components.

I've got the cast of NPCs from the Samurai Polygon Pack ready to go.

I've managed to whip together some assets that will make do for the interiors of houses.
This does mean that the teased cabin bedroom F-scene is a possibility now, but I have yet to make it.
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: [HTML5/WIN] Vacation in Ninja-Land 0.03

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 am

Alright, so I think the new version, 0.03, is up. Links at the top. I honestly kinda feel like shit tonight, so I think it works, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll fix it tomorrow. The update contains the NPCs and the new cabin reward CG.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Ynsano » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Ace i saw you was struggling with png palettes and transparency... i remember i needed png with pallette and transparency for some game mod in the past.... but i can't remember the software... mind sending one pic for me to try out? you can send with a pm if you like...
Ynsano

Location: Amidst some code searching the missing fucking semicolon.

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Here, use this: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7f ... 84be398564

It's not formatted for MV, but I made it years ago for testing, and I've uploaded it to LoK somewhere for anyone to use for testing purposes.

But I found compresspng.com and tinypng.com which seem to do the trick. 11MB character files down to 3MB.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Ynsano » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 am

Ace, there you go... there is the normal one... the normal one reduced by compresspng.com the palette one and the palette one reduce by the site..... check the sizes the palette one still wins...
I did it in photoshop if you interested i can send a step by step.... with print-screens too to make it easier...
I believe you can reduce your 11mb to 2mb even 1.5mb since i just used a 255 standard palette that photoshop saw as best to use... if you reduce the colors in the palette the sizes reduce too... and if i can remember correctly... palette ones are easier on the pc hardware to work with adding the benefit of a lighter(even lighter since the size matters too) game graphics...
Attachments
file.zip
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Ynsano

Location: Amidst some code searching the missing fucking semicolon.

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm

I'M STILL ALIVE!

New update today with new Ninja-Land NPCs (I think they're new, I can't remember anymore) and a new adventure involving prostitution and radishes.

If you're having trouble finding it,
To initiate the adventure:

After Button joins you, talk to the green clad woman at the vegetable in the eastern market

Then:

Talk to the red clad geisha in the western market and she will tell you where to go

Then:

A pink clad geisha will appear outside the house in the open field between the market and your cabin. Talk to her, enjoy the scene, then you'll have money to return to town and spend on radishes.
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: [HTML5/WIN] Vacation in Ninja-Land 0.04

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 pm

So hey, is anybody actually enjoying this? I don't dislike ViN-L, but if it's not doing anything for anyone, I'd rather move on to something else.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby theressomeonehere » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:38 am

I wouldn't mind seeing more, but I can't say I'm madly in love with it either.
theressomeonehere

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 pm

I think part of the problem is that I jumped into this without a strong sense of character personality. I also had trouble thinking of non-rapey ninja related sex scenes, so the whole premise of wallabies on vacation there is the best I could I figure and it is kinda half-hearted and weird.

I'm still fond of the maps and the setting, so if I stopped Vacation in Ninja-Land, I might still do something else in Ninja-Land. I've been considering making a game based on SimBro, maybe it could be a ninja-themed brothel sim. But then, I also have 3D packs for pirates, fantasy dungeons, city and suburbia, all of which make more sense for a brothel sim setting. But then, I supposed I'm not in the business of making sense, and HSB had a kind of japanese setting that wasn't too strong. But then, I also still don't have very good interiors for japanese style houses or samurai castles or the like, so if I wanted to give you a ninja mission like infiltrate the shogun's castle and steal his harem, then the shogun's castle is going to look very bland or not very japanese. But then, something like SimBro where you're just wandering around in the streets would be fine, since I do have plenty of outdoor assets.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Featherruler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:16 am

What kind of fetishes will be in the game?
Featherruler

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 am

I listed some possibilities before. If I continue ViN-L, monster fucking, boob growth potions and MFF or FFF threesome are most likely. Also the radish scene didn't go quite the way I first imagined it would, so there might be additional object insertion. Maybe a longer movie animation.

The problem I'm having is that the wallaby bodies with their long legs and short arms don't look quite right in a lot of positions, like I tried putting Cherry on her hands and knees for the radish scene and it looked pretty odd, and this kinda limits how much variety I can put in. If I had used a different type of rigging, I could fake this by stretching or squashing parts of their body for specific poses (which often happens subconsciously in 2D art) but the rig that they have now won't work that way. So if I did a reboot, I could either made new characters with more human-like body proportions, or I could make the same characters with new rigs that allow for stretching, or both.

The Zorrita character might replace or augment the wallabies. https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/ace ... n-up-03-25

I mentioned the brothel sim last time, I might also just want to do a nice normal RPG with dungeons and boss fights and stuff without some kind of newfangled gimmick. I'm an artist, making gameplay gimmicks is not my forte.
AcetheSuperVillain

Return to Non-Flash Projects