GAME AVAILABLE ON MY DEVBLOG. It's just too damned big for this board anymore. Sorry, guys. I'll bring the embedded game schtick back with the next iteration of the Cubus saga, promise.December 3, 2016The final big update.
Last two endings have been implemented, and the game is 'done'. I'll still be working on all the bugs, along with general polish, but in a big way I'm moving on to the next game. I won't be announcing new builds in this thread anymore, and going forward the polishing will probably be more for the new players than the old. Thanks very much for all your help along the way - LoK is where I started, and I'll keep on keeping on with you guys.
I'm not releasing public builds for the next month. Starting in the new year I'll probably set up a new thread for the next game, Simply Mindy, and will start posting bi-weekly instead, to give myself more development time. I'll see you all then. (Unless you're a patron, in which case I'll see you much sooner. No, I swear, this isn't a blatant attempt to get sales.)November 25, 2016
Spoiler (click to show/hide)November 11, 2016
Sorry, guys, I wound up leaving the country for a few days last week and didn't have time to post here. New build is up with a bunch of relatively uninteresting bugfixes. Nothing huge, so check out the devblog for a complete list if you're interested.
FYI, in case you don't read all the posts that go up on the devblog, the big updates on Soo Cubus are coming to an end soon, and next week is the last time I'll be posting on a weekly basis. Going forward in December it'll be every two weeks. Given that the rest of Soo Cubus' updates will consist of stylistic stuff and bugfixes I probably won't bother posting about them on here anymore, though I'll still respond to comments when I can. Thanks very much for all your help, praise, criticism, and so forth. I really appreciate it.
... also, I'll be starting a new thread here in 2017, for a brand new game. Juuuuust puttin' that out there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide) November 4, 2016
- Added a new ending. It's kind of an old ending rejigged, but it's still a thing. The splodey Earth one aside, this might be the hardest one to find, so two hints: it's in the sewers and you need to get two other endings first before it will trigger. Might also maybe involve something you couldn't fight before. So I guess that's three hints.
- Related to that, there's now a gallery for all the other stuff. It combines the hobo fights and the sewer monsters. Unlocking it is the reward for getting the ending mentioned above.
Please note that the gallery is still a little screwy, and I can't figure out why it does some of the things it does. The ChrBeast is a particular point of weirdness for me, since it does not appear when you're clicking to the right - but if you click back to it from the IntBeast, it appears as it should. Utterly perplexing. I'll keep messing with it, but in the meantime the weirdness can be dispelled just by scrolling through characters and / or fiddling with the red splooge button.
Please let me know if you experience anything wrong with the hobos or monsters in their 'natural' environments. I had to change the coding of the base characters to make them work in the gallery, and though I've tested them as much as I could in HoboFights and the Sewers respectively, I haven't managed as much testing as I would've liked. What I've seen so far leads me to believe that they work fine, though.
As a side effect of all this, the monster and hobo cumming animations now loop if you keep pressing the splooge button. Again, this is a bit wonky with the beasts.
- Finished up the cut scenes that didn't have character expressions. I think.
- Fixed some of the text problems. It won't appear before the text box appears anymore, for example. Let me know if I missed any of these, though I think I got the majority.
- Did a bunch of specific tweaks to various cut scenes. The scene just before entering the tower will have a different number of keyholes showing depending on how many keys you currently have, for example.
- Gave Soo a 'defeated' animation during combat, assuming you lose a battle. It gets a few seconds of play time before the screen transitions elsewhere.
- Also changed Soo's Resist attack. The sword strike was epic, but it didn't seem silly / sexy enough for a dumb game like Soo Cubus.
- Tinkered with the achievements / bonuses screen so it's not laggy. At all. I suspect I can do something similar with dating to make it less laggy, too, but it's gonna take a lot more work to rejig that clusterfuck of a scene, let me tell you what.
- Fixed the lover coin thingy where you lost your lover if they died but were resurrected.
- Fixed the lover intro scenes, so you get the amount of Stamina you're properly owed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)October 21, 2016
The good ending has come. Oh man. Details:
- Gather six+ keys and things will go differently at the tower. It looks the same at first, but it ain't.
- There are three new bosses. Be prepped.
- The ending is a fair bit longer than any other in the game. Obviously. There is, of course, a failure ending as well. Both have been added to the achievements thing when you restart the game.
- The sex scene near the end of the ending varies depending on which characters you've successfully wooed. There are alternate scenes for two male lovers, two female lovers, one female lover and one male lover, one female / male lover, or no lovers at all. The dialogue changes as well; if you want more 'substantive' conversations, stick with a single lover.
- Linking up with that, wooing characters via dates, getting items, and one other (deadly) method now contributes to this ending. The possibilities for that final sex scene are endless! Or... not, but, there are a fair number of combinations, so shut up.
- Game over! Weeee!
Let me know if the ending is wonky at all. I tested the ever-living fuck out of it, particularly the lovers mechanic, but there's still room for error. I kinda worry that the scene before the second battle might be problematic for some people, and if that's the case I'll re-jig it somehow.
In addition I made some more changes:
- Added another ending. No hints, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find, and it adds a bit of a twist to something players have been able to exploit for ages. Keep playing and it will almost certainly pop up. And yes, this is a bad ending, so... okay, I guess that's a bit of a hint. Avoiding the ending is also beneficial in its own way.
- I got tired of Soo looking so dull when attacking, so she now has two different attack animations, one for Resist and one for Persuade. I tend to like Persuade more, and you will too.
- Combat clickspamming is no longer a thing.
- Tinkered with a few odds and ends throughout the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)October 14, 2016
The major addition this week was that of the rest of the ability animations, which you can locate most easily via the (now fixed) gallery selections in each of the hooking locations. The new animations are as follows:
- Alley - Chr
- Gas Station - Str and Chr
- Club - Str
- Library - Str
- Jail - Int
Pretty sure that's all of 'em. Let me know if I missed one.
I have also (finally) rejigged how Int affects ability animations. Your chances of getting these scenes doesn't get any higher once your Int moves past 100, which is more than high enough for the average game of Soo Cubus. This should prevent the ability animations from completely eclipsing the other, normal-tier animations.
I also ALSO balanced some of the ability bonuses. They're less game-shattering than they used to be. The result is a slightly less easy street, but still relatively fair, gaming experience. Also made sure they were all accurate to what was being said on the screen, as I know at least one of them simply didn't take away Stamina. (Feel free to correct me on that.)
- Added a New Game Plus mode! Of sorts. I said I wouldn't before, but I came up with a way to make it work that satisfies me. The idea is simple enough: beating the game once will allow you, during stat allocation on your next playthrough, to access an extra menu where you can give Soo bonuses. Each ending provides a unique bonus that makes playing through the game the next time at least a bit easier. Yes, even the 'bad' endings give you bonuses. I'll probably expand on it a bit in the future by adding additional animations unlocked by the endings..
... not to mention more endings period. There are two on there which cannot be unlocked yet (they're 'good' ending endings) so don't worry about it. Right now you can unlock... eleven, off the top of my head...? Pretty sure it's eleven. Will probably try and fill in the entire last row before I finish with Soo Cubus, bringing the total up to eighteen.
Please note that, at the moment, choosing a New Game from the main menu will wipe out the endings you've unlocked. I'm looking into ways to force the game to permanently save those variables without simply reloading the full game each time you open it up. Until I figure that out I suggest you choose Load Game unless you want to start over from scratch.
I've also noticed that the New Game Plus screen is a teensy bit laggy at times. No clue why, but I'll tinker.
- Finally, FINALLY finished the 'fail' animations. The two added ones aren't amazingly amazing, but hell, they're there. I've also added all of the fail animations to the gallery modes.
- Added a few more cumshots. Ayup.
- Tinkered with assorted bugs that needed to be fixed. You won't get to simply date anyone you like upon restarting immediately, for example, and Sid / Su's cycling animations work again. (Assuming they were broken. Was that this week? I can't even remember anymore...)
Next week will not have a new build, as I made the executive decision (with the help of a poll 'mongst my Patrons) to power through this week, skip a build, and have the ending done for next week. And by ending I mean, of course, the 'good' ending that I've been talking about for a while. It's coming along nicely as of this writing, with a heavy reference to an old SNES RPG, and should be ready on time.
So yeah. You public people are on par with the patrons right now. Only for a week, and you have to wait two weeks for the new release, but... hey. Hey. Don't worry about it, yah? Don't worry about it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)September 24, 2016
I'll start off with a thanks to Renara for help with getting the game back onto the boards, as well as lots of advice in getting .swfs compressed to a more reasonable size. I'm amateurish enough that I didn't know you COULD compress an entire .swf, and figured it was more a case of making the least of individual assets. You are cool, Renara.
There is now a sort of 'limited' gallery mode in the game, as you can cycle through the animations in the various locations. This is a much-requested feature which wound up being a bit easier to do than I anticipated, though it took a hella long time to fully implement. The details:
- For the hookin' spots this only gets unlocked whenever you reach the top tier animations. Look for a small arrow near the cum button. These don't currently include 'substitutions' (as in the three female lovers hopping in to take Soo's place) but they will soon enough.
- Ability-based animations are included, but only the animation for the ability you chose. To see a different ability animation you need to choose that ability in a different game. Any ability animations that don't yet exist currently have a placeholder which I'll remove once I get enough work done.
- You can cycle through the lover animations at their respective houses from the get-go, though two of the animations for each character (date- and item-unlocked animations) will not appear until you've done what needs to be done to make them show up in the first place. Please note that Sid and Su are (as I recall) broken in this regard, and have been fixed for the next update.
- You can also cycle through the landlord animations, including the end-date animations, once you've done something. It's not too difficult to figure out. This also includes the beast sleepover animations, though similar to the ability animations above you can only see one beast per playthrough.
- No cycling through the sewers animations yet. I'll either make a side area for that or leave it for a 'true' gallery mode.
Yep. Besides the limited gallery shiznit there are a few other things:
- For the moment I've removed the music. It made the game too damned big, and I don't think anybody cared anyway. I'll probably put it (or something else) back in once the game is completed. Again, I would like to make an 8-bit-ish soundtrack for the game personally, but that's gonna take a while. I have an ear for music, and can play the guitar, but very little experience actually composing tracks.
Though the .mp3s are gone, the placeholders where the music should be are not. I've simply replaced each track with about one second of silence, and it's looping harmlessly in the background. I've tested the game quite a bit and this doesn't seem to have any ill effects on overall performance, but let me know if things go wonky at all with your audio.
- The cum button cycles back to the beginning of an animation when clicked enough times. This may not work for every animation, keep in mind, and it obviously doesn't do anything for animations that do not have a cumshot animation. I haven't had enough time to fully mess with this so don't expect it to work for absolutely everything in the game, but I'd say 85% - 90% of the time it should work.
- As more or less the sole graphical thing that got a significant update, the library now looks significantly different. I did this so I can add background peeps, though I didn't have time to make tiny sprites this week. Expect one or two such peoples next week.
- Added checkmarks to the store so you know which items you've already bought without needing to check the status screen.
- Assorted little bug fixes. Didn't have as much time as I would've liked to do this; will probably make more significant inroads next week. There are a fair few bugs I'd like to stomp out.[spoiler]
September 30, 2016
[spoiler]Build 3.2's new mechanic revolves around dating. It's a bit rough, as the coding / drawing took me fucking forever, and some things in this build haven't been finished / fully implemented. Here's what you can currently expect:
- Each date requires a full day, similar to exploring the sewer. There is no warning message yet; I'll put that in for next week. (The Stamina also doesn't get subtracted yet, because derp, so have fun with them.)
- You can date multiple times, though you can only have one SUCCESSFUL date. Once you lock down a successful date the icon for dating disappears. At the moment there's no 'locking down' a date, so go to town and do it as many times as you like without it disappearing.
- There is a shit-ton of dialogue jammed into this thing, and you'll get different responses from each character depending on your choices, as well as their likes and dislikes. There's as much dialogue in dating as there is in probably the rest of the game.
- Ultimately dating will unlock new animations for the NPC sleepovers. I have NOT completed these animations yet, as the dating sequence itself took for-fucking-ever. They're in the Patreon build, and will appear publicly next week.
- Nothing in dating is tied to your stats. It comes down to knowing the characters and making intuitive decisions based on what you think they would and would not like. (Though if you ALWAYS choose what they would like you'll miss out on a lot of dialogue. Just sayin'.)
- There are bonus animations tied into dating that involve one of the side NPCs. At the moment these only trigger after a successful date; eventually they will only trigger after a successful date and IF you HAVEN'T done something else in the game. Probably make more sense when you see the scenes. These bonus scenes only include the girls right now - eventually the guys will get in on it too.
- All that aside, I also re-did one of the normal animations (let's see if you can discover which one!), and the stadium and pub backdrops have been improved.
Updates moving to Fridays / Saturdays, guys, in case you hadn't already noticed. This week's has two major additions: background characters and music / sound. Along with other stuff. I'll give a fuller accounting of what's in each later, as I just pulled an all-nighter and I'm fucking exhausted. Enjoy.September 12, 2016
Spoiler (click to show/hide)September 5, 2016
- Mindy. Mindy Mindy Mindy. She's not a full NPC like the rest, but she has a storyline sequence now, and several sexy-sexy animations.
- Added ending signs. The endings have names again. Yay! - Finally got around to pixelizing the 'Time's Up' ending, as well as Gus, the crazy hobo who appears during said ending.
- Added two more endings. Both of them are related to Mindy.
- Fixed a few minor things. There are always a few minor things.
- The infinite mode thing is gone. You hit 100 days, you're done. There are enough endings at this point - including the four key ending - that I feel comfortable wiping out unlimited time to play the game. Let complaining commence in 3... 2... 1...
- As for the .5 part of the title, I fixed a few things pertaining to the new content.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)August 28, 2016
- CUMSHOTS! Tons and tons of cumshots. I didn't get them all done, but at this point I think most of the animations (maybe 75 - 80%) where a cumshot is warranted now, indeed, possesses a cumshot. A little red button appears when you can cum the shot. Yay!
Do note that, no, I didn't get all of them done. Will be done in two weeks. There are also a few, mainly those with two female characters, where I'm less certain how I should proceed. Mass squirting? I guess that could work. I'll continue to ponder. Nevertheless, there are some animations where you're just not gonna see a cumshot.
- Bug fixes. I went through a bunch of the comments I got here and on forums and fixed some things that needed fixing. A lot of it is minor stuff that most players may not even notice, but, there you go. Many thanks to everybody who contributed.
- In particular, I fixed the revive thing. It should work properly now, regardless of which attack you use to beat... erm... someone. Yay! Revive those dead peeps! Yell at me if it continues to fuck up, though I tested it earlier in the week and it worked fine.
- Also realized that Sew's fourth animation, tied to her item, somehow didn't make it into the game last week. No clue how I missed that. This has been rectified.
- The tower. 'nough said. Go forth and collect the keys.August 21, 2016
Spoiler (click to show/hide)August 14, 2016
- HoboFights! A brand-new area which I'm hoping will be at least a partial answer to the early game woes. Unlocked right away, HoboFights lift the battle system from other parts of the game and drops it into the streets. Fight hobos for cash and other potential prizes (namely rare items for NPCs). Since you start off really weak, Soo gets an automatic, temporary +10 to her Charisma while HoboFighting so she doesn't die after one hit.
Be warned: the hobos get stronger as the days progress. If you are weak they will stomp you. (Though the results of said stomping are sexy.)
- A new icon! You'll see it on your own. It doesn't do much yet. YET.
- A status screen! Here you can see all the items you've purchased. This includes the keys you've found. These will all get goofy descriptions when highlighted. It occurs to me now that Sew's key is not properly announced in a cut scene; it will be next week, hopefully. (You get it by purchasing her item and staring down Big D.)
- A slightly revamped stats bar! Soo blinks! Also, icons. Yay!
- One new item animation! I'd hoped to get them all done, but then I sliced my finger, and then I thought up HoboFights, and once the finger healed I became obsessed with implementing said HoboFights. I'll get the last three done this week. Joe gets the fun this time.
- A few fixes. No exclamation mark. The no Stamina boost thing after the NPC intros, for example, should be fixed now, though if you Skip the intro you jump back to the city without seeing a scene at the NPC's house. One thing after another.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)August 7, 2016
- New items in the store. Six of them. Does that number seem familiar at all? It should. Each one has an effect on things listed below. Each item will also unlock one extra animation per NPC, though I haven't finished most of them yet. Only Guy's got done.
I suspect these items will probably annoy people at first, as they essentially put a roadblock in front of the NPCs. They're going to do more in the future, so... you'll just have to grin and bear it at this point.
- The lovers all have extra scenes which may or may not go well, depending on your purchases. If they don't go well...
- The aftermath of the battle with Big D is quite different if you fight him with significant NPC interactions, and the game may not end depending on your choices. This choice will also, ultimately, be tied into which NPC will appear in the game's 'best' ending, which, at the moment, doesn't exist. Soon!
- Some of the conversations outlined above change depending on which items you own and which NPCs are involved. Sound confusing? It is!
- There are two new endings, and one new battle. I'll let you find 'em on your own. (Hint: Play badly. But not too badly. Savvy? I don't think many people will see one of the endings unless they really go looking for it.) - Messed with the numbers in many ways. It takes fewer visits to the church and strip club to get to Amelia and Sew's homes, for example. Wanted to compress the experience a little. Chances are good y'all won't notice these changes too much.
- The Leave button on the horse races can no longer be used when you've lost a bet. I swear that wasn't an issue in earlier releases, but... alas...
- Fixed Mindy's dialogue in the shop. Yay.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Soo Cubus
- Hard Mode isn't complete, but the prize for embarking 'ponst it is: a new area, as hinted. I'll let those brave souls who want to try it out give the place a go. You won't unlock it until fairly late in the game, and it's for aesthetics only, but I tried to make the prize well worth the effort. Plan to add more animations to it in the future, as well; for the moment there are four. Click the picture to make a new picture pop up without having to leave the screen. (Should really remove the randomization aspect of this, and will. Eventually.)
I've realized since release of this build that the Hard Mode area will unlock in any mode. Way to go, Sexums. That's fixed in the latest build. Enjoy it for now, I guess.
- (Hard Mode also is appreciably harder, since you don't get stat boosts and the rent is higher. So...maybe it's done? Maybe I shouldn't make it impossible? We'll see.)
- The sewers have been overhauled dramatically. You can now choose from one of three paths, each of which has its own share of monsters. The limit left on how long you have in the sewers is now displayed on the screen, as are your stats. There are also 60 new 'encounters', more or less, which rely on your stats for resolution. Have fun!
I may change the prizes you get from delving into the sewers and making it all the way through the paths in the future. Or at the very least I'll randomize what you can get.
- Speaking of the sewers, there are three more monsters. One of them is more of a joke monster that should amuse D&D fans / nerds in general.
- Amelia has her 'filling in' animation. Missed it last time. Whoopsie.
- Last, a few new backgrounds. Yup.
My project is, tentatively, going to be named Soo Cubus. She's a succubus (surprise surprise) with aspirations of rising in the world, and she plans to fuck her way there, because that's what she does best. She's starting from the bottom rung, though, as she's not terribly skilled to start off, and needs some practice before she can woo the king / prince / administrator / leader-in-general of the city she's targeting. (The society will likely be a mix of modern-day stuff, where you'll see Soo prostituting in back alleys, and medieval, where there's a definite patriarchy in place.)
The game will play out as a dating simish-type thing where you need to juggle Soo's priorities, and you can choose to do, say, three things per day. You earn money and some experience for having sex with clients, but you'll make more with higher stats, earned through studying and working out and so forth. Get good enough and you can access other areas with more animations and more lucrative opportunities. I'm planning to weave a story into it all, as well, since I do so like storytelling, but I'm working on the general mechanics to start.
In the coming days I'll set up a developer's website and post stuff here as I get it done. Hopefully I can get a little demo for y'all to try out within a week or so. In the meantime, here's a shot of Soo going at it with some guy. The animation on this one's not as good as I would like - I'd prefer more frames, and the guy looks rather listless and janky right now - but it should give you a sense of the art style going forward, at least. I prefer sprite style stuff, and have no experience with crafting more traditional Flash visuals.
Have any questions? Ask away! I'll be happy to respond as soon as I can. Thanks![/spoiler]