Is this a good computer? [resolved]

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Is this a good computer? [resolved]

Postby bed_intruder » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am

Yea finally saved up enough money for a new computer and was wondering if you guys thought this one would be good. Looking to be able to run flash, left 4 dead 2, crisis 2, and battlefield 3 so let me know how you guys would think it would perform. Never really used a pc for anything other than basic things so that's why I'm asking all of you. It's $800 (including shipping) so is it good quality for the cost? Or am I paying something like $200 more than I should be?

# AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor @ 3.4Ghz Per Core Socket AM3
# 8GB (4 X 2GB) Dual Channel DDR3 240pin 1333Mhz PC3 10666 Memory
# 500GB SATA II 3Gbps 7200RPM 16MB Buffer Hard Drive
# AMD 880G Chipset Motherboard with HDMI, HD Audio, Gigabit LAN, SATA 3Gbps, USB 2.0
# ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 Dedicated Video Graphics Card w/HDMI 1080P High Definition Output and DVI Output
# 22X SATA Dual Layer Multi-Format DVD/CD Burner
# 480W Power Supply
# Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Last edited by bed_intruder on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bed_intruder

Re: Is this a good computer?

Postby BlueLight » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 am

I don't see any of my brands *Crys*

So i personally would go with a I7 just because i know about it and i trust intel.

8GB sounds like a good amount. I got 4 GB in my laptop and i rarely ever use more than 2 GB.

I would go bigger personally but if your getting a desktop then you just add a drive later.

Mother board aren't my thing. so no clue.

Ya i like nivida. Besides my dads Radeon card has been acting up on him. But i would like to state that nivida did have a bad batch of chip go out to manufactures and did a recall. Just stating they aren't blameless. They also have better driver support for older windows games and it seems people think this slows down the card. I personally don't. I had a friend who had a some Radeon HD card and switched it out for a older nivida card and made it so IE would take 2 seconds to popup not 15 at least. However this is mostly hearsay. Some people hate nivida so what you should do is just look at the bench marks and see what you like.

I've burn like less than 100 disks in my life.

I personally would go with a 500+ so i can upgrade.

Nothing wrong with windows7 I hate it when people think vista works... i had it for 2 years and it doesn't work people. The proof is in the "Windows explore has crashed" error messages i would get every week.

For what your running you look fine but i would wait for someone else since processors and mother boards aren't my thing and i have brand loyalty to intel and nivida.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Blackwing » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

bed_intruder Wrote:# AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor @ 3.4Ghz Per Core Socket AM3
# 8GB (4 X 2GB) Dual Channel DDR3 240pin 1333Mhz PC3 10666 Memory
# 500GB SATA II 3Gbps 7200RPM 16MB Buffer Hard Drive
# AMD 880G Chipset Motherboard with HDMI, HD Audio, Gigabit LAN, SATA 3Gbps, USB 2.0
# ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 Dedicated Video Graphics Card w/HDMI 1080P High Definition Output and DVI Output
# 22X SATA Dual Layer Multi-Format DVD/CD Burner
# 480W Power Supply
# Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

ill help you but you got to specify the brand, model and unitary prices for each part of the hardware. I think you can get a better PC with 800 but also depends on your brands/models, if you dont wanna post here just send me a PM.
Fisrt Ill go intel-->I bought an i3 a couple moths ago for my home system and it works better than my office Phenom thats supoused to b a lot bigger, why? cuz processors are all OP nowdays and the rest of the stuff is way more important.
Also ill stick to a small budget last generation intel procesor, If you dont have a ton of money to trow away right now you allways can easy get a i7 for a few bucks in about 12-20 moths when theyr cost go down and upgrade the PC again.
This is a list of some stuff i got for my system:
$115= Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz
$155=ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155
$95=Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
$160=Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 ( here is my investment :roll: )
got myself a 50$ HDD, tranfered my old dvd drive(i dont really use cd/dvd), Win 7 and my Power supply.
I Dont stop when Im Tired
I stop when Im Done !!!
Blackwing

Postby bed_intruder » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry didn't list the models or anything because I was planning on buying this from off ebay so I was just quoting what the guy wrote down. Checked out newegg and found the same or better hardware and the total there only comes to $700, kinda to be expected I guess, wouldn't make sense to only sell a pc for a $20 profit. Here's everything, anything important I'm missing/recommendations?

Intel i5 Quad - $220
Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card - $84 (free Dirt 3 :D )
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) - $80
Win7 - $192
Antec 500W power supply $60
HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner - $31
Case - $50
Western Digital 500GB Hard drive $75
Biostar Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $88

Total+warranty - $844

Any suggestions on how to cut that total down closer to 800?
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Phh no LCD! and you spending 844$ besides you should be getting 25$
Give me a hour and i bet I can get you better hardware for less than 800.

I7 and nivida Geforce 550.
Edit okay so the 550 card was bullshit but i got you something close. Does have a I7
go to the link and i think it should show you everything.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DD9UQ
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 am

Well you know that looks great and everything but with the OS the price gets jacked up to $888. That and I'm pretty sure you can't not buy a keyboard and mouse with it on that site.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:02 am

Ya i noticed that and was about to post it. You beat me to it. However i am fix that :P

Okay still over 800 but i think it's like 816$. This is basically because i picked Windows 7 Professional because that is what i would want for virtual PC. It's under 800 with home but no virtual PC and that stinks with 64bit.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DDAMN

Also could some one look at the motherboard for me. I was going to go with default but i clicked something else and couldn't find it again. The stats look okay on the one i found but i can't really be sure since i don't know anything about mother board shopping.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 am

Alright here's what I decided to get. Did some research (google) and seems that most people think that the i7 as of right now is totally unnecessary for games so I'll stick to the i5.

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
APEVIA X-TROOPER Junior Case W/450W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner
500GB Hard Drive
Intel Quad Core i5-2500K
Radeon HD 6670

So would 450W be enough for all this? Kinda suck if I wait for all this to ship here to not even be able to run it.

Edit: Looked up the motherboard you were talking about on newegg and looks like it's pretty decent but judging by all the negative reviews around the site it looks like Biostar has crap customer support and that motherboard doesn't come with a manual to explain where everything is.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 am

bed_intruder Wrote:manual

:o They have manuals for these things... No one why i have no idea what most of the stuff does.
Ya i don't think you would've gotten a manual anyways since it was a custom job.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:22 am

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not :| Guess it doesn't come with one, but I get a diagram at least. Could of saved a few dollars if I would of checked this earlier; bought ram that's faster than it supports...
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am

I've always gotten factory built computers so i never got anything but some stuff talking about my computer but nothing really help or unique.
I really go to stop posting in the middle of the night or use word to check spelling and grammar.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:34 am

I swear it's like my computer is meant to never run or something. This motherboard just got here and I've been playing around with it all day but the furthest I've gotten with it is mostly installing Windows 7 (it shutdown right before it finished). It keeps having this random shutdown thing going on with it and I can't think of what it could possibly be. On the BIOS screen it shuts down after about a minute and after taking out the other RAM stick (so there's only 1 in still) it stays up for about 2 minutes before shutting off by itself. Then I have to wait for about another minute or two before starting up the computer again or else it will shut off immediately.

When I start Windows normally, it throws up this error on the screen, something along the lines of "Windows 7 failed to install because of an unexpected shutdown and has to restart." and when it restarts it just throws up the same error again. I already made sure all the connections were secure and plugged into the right spots. I changed the hard drive to RAID in the BIOS and that didn't work, in fact, it actually made it so that the error doesn't pop up anymore and it just shuts down by itself instead (maybe due to only have one stick of RAM in?). It's a 24 pin connection on the motherboard and my PSU can do either 20 or 24. For whatever random reason I can't get the 4 pin in and I have to jam it in but that makes it so that the computer won't start entirely. I checked my motherboard's manual and it said that it can run on 20 pin just fine so that can't be the problem either.

So yea I have no idea wtf is wrong with it. Any ideas? I already googled this question i don't know how many times already.

bed_intruder

Postby Activeagressive » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:19 am

Maybe you need to update your BIOS? which probably isn't what's wrong but I can't think of anything else.
bed_intruder Wrote:I swear it's like my computer is meant to never run or something. This motherboard just got here and I've been playing around with it all day but the furthest I've gotten with it is mostly installing Windows 7 (it shutdown right before it finished)

Try installing an older OS instead, see what happens.
... well I can't think of anything funny/interesting/insightful to put here so I'll just leave it blank...
Activeagressive

Postby BlueLight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 am

Well one has to own a copy of said OS to install it unless you want to go to the ages of 98 and run the chance of having to advance hardware.
Window 7 is as powerful XP and more stable than it if you ask me. I can say for sure that It's more stable than Vista and that it uses about the same mount of resources as XP unlike vista that used twice.
BlueLight

Postby rooiehaan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 pm

get a cheaper laptop that runs flash and get a xbox to play games.
just sayin'
Breathe easy, the doctors are about to arrive
rooiehaan

Postby BlueLight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:36 pm

See i just go with using the money i wouldi've on a cheap laptop and BombBox and but a desktop.

desktop are normally more powerful for the same or cheaper price.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 pm

I found the problem, my processor must have been overheating which forced the computer to turnoff. The one thing I forgot to check was to see if I mounted the cpu fan right... Anyway that fixed the random shutdowns and the bios screen no longer lags. I checked through command prompt to see if my hard drive was corrupt and it didn't come up with anything. I'm trying to format the hard drive (to uninstall the corrupted os) through the command prompt via "format c:" and after going through the two confirmations I got this message "Can not lock the drive. The volume is still in use."

Wow I can't believe this worked.....all I did was try starting it without the hard drive connected and it went to the normal screen where you select what drive to install on. Then I plugged it back in but it didn't detect the drive so I restarted the computer and it went to that screen. I guess the cd must of been stuck on an infinite loop...or something. Anyway win 7 seems to be installing fine now, I'll let you guys know if it works or not.

@rooiehaan I have an xbox and a laptop that can run flash, just this one is a little too slow for me and consoles keep getting screwed over on games; console battlefield 3 = 24 players, smaller maps, no chance in hell of mod tools; pc battlefield 3 = 64 players, full maps, maybe mod tools. Main reason for me is because of the better graphics, higher fps, servers, and mods. Plus I should be able to run flash no problem on an i5, whereas on the laptop I have now it sometimes will lag even on medium.

Edit: Sweet Jesus it's so damn fast, I can post ponies in 10 seconds flat now.
bed_intruder

Return to General