XenoCross (XenoX) Public Release [slime balls]

Genre Lockdown

Run or Rape([sic]youbasu no titakai)
35%
Splatformer(Corta's Splatformer)
35%
Role-Playing Scroller (VATS based-combat)
10%
Puzzle/Survival Whorror(Resident Sleezeville)
4%
Third-Person Sploosher (Another Tail)
4%
Point and Click (World of Whorecraft)
7%
Tactical Lesbianage Action(Peace Cocker)
4%
Dat Oddworld(Babes' Sexodus)
2%

Total votes : 845

Re: XenoCross (XenoX) Public Release

Postby that man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:03 am

Terrantor!!! Wrote:
that man Wrote:Nice backgrounds and stage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

The only real problem I have is with the camera, as the lead room is fairly inconsistent on both sides (most notably on the left) and I could see someone getting sick from the running cycle. Also, when I let her stand still, she eventually starts to vibrate up and down really fast.

It's all still better then what I could have done, and I hope you keep up the pace.

Good call, now is the bounciness of the camera or the speed at which she runs the problem. The Speed I can fix, the bounce will be a little tricky. I do aim to make the camera feature good as the game will have many cinematics so i've got miles to go on that one, if anyone else has suggestions for this one, please let me know. :)

Not really the speed per say, more just the bouncyness of it. As for a solution, and this is only what I know how to use from messing around in gamemaker so its usefulness here is questionable, have an invisible hit box that the camera follows that is at a certain point in the player's model. It won't change sizes or bob when running, which might be what causes the bounciness.
that man

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 am

That's actually very smart, but it'll be a problem when I want to be able to zoom or pan to other scenes on the map. I think I found a fix for that, though. thanks :D.

Managed to fix everything so far. Stabilized the cam and resolved the bouncing character issue.
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

XenoXAS3.swf [ 93.59 KiB | Viewed 3910 times ]

Terrantor!!!

Postby that man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:07 pm

The camera issues, save for the lead room, were fixed in the in forum version.

However, when I tried it in full screen mode, the issues returned in full force again. I mean, you did fix it in the normal sized version so you're on the right track, but this also means people can't play it in full screen.
that man

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:40 am

that man Wrote:The camera issues, save for the lead room, were fixed in the in forum version.

However, when I tried it in full screen mode, the issues returned in full force again. I mean, you did fix it in the normal sized version so you're on the right track, but this also means people can't play it in full screen.

Good find, It worked fine on the flash player. Well it should be resolved, now along with the zoom. I am gonna begin work firstly on the slime, then the slime emitter. Keep me posted on engine errors. :)
Terrantor!!!

Re: XenoCross (XenoX) Public Release [slime balls]

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:58 pm

updated. Please read the spoiler before tinkering with it. Very Important.
Terrantor!!!

Postby whatdontlookaatme » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 pm

The outfit is great! The game is also a lot smoother. I'm really liking what I'm seeing! Keep it up :D
whatdontlookaatme

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 pm

whatdontlookaatme Wrote:The outfit is great! The game is also a lot smoother. I'm really liking what I'm seeing! Keep it up :D

Thanks, brah, i'm glad you like it. :-)
Terrantor!!!

Postby guestlike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 pm

A bug I found in the version six posts up is as follows:
1.walk all the way to the right.
2.keep walking against the wall
3. while holding the right arrow key press "up" (to jump)
4. continue to hold and you will find yourself on top of the "stage"
It works for both walls.
guestlike

Postby Terrantor!!! » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:30 am

nice find! :) I've been unable to replicate it in the first post, however. The version you're referring to is a little older. I'll be keeping the most recent version on the front page for quick access. Try looking for glitches on that one.
Terrantor!!!

Postby rebelseal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:21 am

its an interesting start
rebelseal

Location: im confused as to what my location please is i believe it is in the Pacific

Postby guestlike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 am

This next thing is very picky and might not help. I was able to acheive a "double jump", on the current version.
1. As before, go the right. (background used as a jump height reference)
2.Jump by holding up, just to show that normally the character (avatar?) jumps to a consistent height.
3.Jump by spamming the up key as though you where trying to cause a double jump.
Its hard to explain exactly but, i used a pattern of pressing up quickly (not simply spamming), until a slightly higher jump occurred. This particular bug is in my opinion is VERY minor as you might very well not encounter problems resulting from it.
Thank you for your time.
guestlike

Postby Terrantor!!! » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 am

If I can replicate it, I'll be sure to try to resolve it. Thanks, man!!! :) keep it up, As I'll be working up a new build pretty soon with lots of new features.
Terrantor!!!

Postby First » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 am

Walking while jumping into a wall has unusual results.
First
Newly Registered

Postby supersatanson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:08 pm

It looks like it's going pretty well, and I love the character model! :D
my only comment would be on the "jog" animation, where arms could be a little more relaxed (just a really minor gripe, really). the other animations Look pretty good!
No suggestions for now, just keep up the good work :) also, platformers FTW!
supersatanson

Postby guestlike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 pm

I am interested to know if you where able to replicate the bug or not?
guestlike

Postby that man » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Huh, I like the new test room.

I am not able to replicate the running up the wall glitch, but I was able to replicate the double jump. In all honesty, if you want my suggestions about all of this, you could make the double jump easier to do, and permanent. Aside from that, I love the shift function for running now.

How many enemies can you have on screen on one time? I mean, it's only slimes for now, but it could be best to stress test to a hundred or so to represent a complex boss.
that man

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 am

Great question, that all depends on the processor you own, which seems to be doing most of the work. A lot of factors will influence that as well (complexity of characters, animation, backgrounds, interactions, GUI, etc...), which is why I can do a lot, but I'll end up needing to get stingy when it comes to actually building the game. The map maker is really easy to use and if you score a copy of flash cs5 to 6, you'll be able to make your own levels. :) And you're right, those slimes are doing very little other than x and y translations, I still have to animate them and more complex enemies will arise in the future, so I still think she's got plenty under the hood, but i need to tailor it for a wide audience.

Double jump will definitely be a feature and I might make multijumps 3+ unlockable after some time, Definitely toying with the notion. One thing I need to perfect is the single jump, though. It's real bland, physically and I need to implement the anims for it, too. But it's very expandable and the code is lightweight, too.

@guest: I've been trying it, still unable to get it. But it'll be alright, the main problem is the way she and other objects interact with the wall, I still need to tweak conditionals and physics and I'm thinking of giving the ability of either climbing or applying vertical friction for sliding down. That's a little too complex to contemplate at the moment though, lol.

@SuperSatan: Thx, man, Corta's sittin back on this one for some time and letting me drive for a while, once we acquire an artist, she'll start putting some overtime in. I've got everything I need so far, so let her rest, lol.
Terrantor!!!

Postby that man » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I like that door, and the different types of slimes.

However, no more then two will chase me at a time, and I don't know if that is so,e sort of glitch or not. Also, while I did find the space bar function neat, I'm not able to use it with other commands (I can't run and jump, or walk and jump)
that man

Postby guestlike » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 am

1:Hold the space bar
2:Press and hold control
3:while holding, move left right or jump using up. The avatar will appear frozen.

Edit: Just hold space, and it will have the same effect
but if you press control while holding space it will cause her to "leap" and also to "duck".
Last edited by guestlike on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
guestlike

Postby that man » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:45 am

guestlike Wrote:1:Hold the space bar
2:Press and hold control
3:while holding, move left right or jump using up. The avatar will appear frozen.

That's because it seems like the ctrl button is crouching, and the animations for it aren't yet complete. I managed to replicate it, so it does exist, but it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
that man

PreviousNext

Return to XenoCross