Resident Evil: Progeny (Last Update: 18/5/2013)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Resident Evil: Progeny (Last Update: 06/07/2011)

Postby ANooB » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:52 pm

BlueLight Wrote:
ANooB Wrote:*edit: What u guys think of my typewriter, Ink Ribbon, and Item Box??? All criticisms appreciated. ;)

um is that your way of asking us how sex you look? If so um no clue.

Moreso how sexy the item box, typewriter, and ink ribbon look. but I sexy, trust me.
Spruce your games up using free vector content: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7109

There're no such things as mistakes, just happy little accidents. ~Bob Ross
ANooB

Postby Blkbelt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am

Is there a way to play this on a mac? :D
Blkbelt
Newly Registered

Postby ANooB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Prob not yet. It would have to be developed on a mac. I'm sure we can port it over, as I have a mac lying around somewhere, lol.
Spruce your games up using free vector content: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7109

There're no such things as mistakes, just happy little accidents. ~Bob Ross
ANooB

Postby dasking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 pm

ANooB Wrote:Prob not yet. It would have to be developed on a mac. I'm sure we can port it over, as I have a mac lying around somewhere, lol.
u should definately port it...or make it into a flash although thats significantly more work, it could get the finished product the recognition it deserves
dasking
Newly Registered

Postby Nintendolo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm

i love the game so far keep up the good work :), and thanks to this game i now inspiration for a series of flash sprites featuring resident evil characters haha
inactivity was due to account being lost and me forgetting this forum while i was building a new pc
Sorry folks...
Nintendolo

Postby Felix.Asdf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Am I too dumb for this game? I only get the umbrella key card, down the elevators, to the safe room, and that's it. The way to the left is blocked and when I go back through the previous door, the game hangs.
Is there something I'm missing?

From all the positive comments I'd really like to try this game out, but alas, I can't get any further.

If it could be a bug: I'm using Win7 64bit
Felix.Asdf
Newly Registered

Postby Z-Fied » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Responses

@blkbelt

As ANoob put, I'm afraid it'll have to be ported, I spent about 4 hours researching a way to convert .exe to .app, but alas there is no way. Maybe ANoob could port it to Mac, however I don't think it'd be worth porting what there is currently anyway.

@Mage

Thank you, hopefully it should become easier once we've got all the basics set up, as it'll just be a case of level designing after that. Oh, and it's nice to see people are finally showing RE a bit of interest... always thought it was lacking.

@Felix

haha no, don't worry, your intelligence isn't what's wrong here, you have hit the end of this very short demo. I'm expanding on the area slowly, but I want to make sure all the basics and stuff are down first. Oh and you can play the Mercenaries mode.

Progress

Tried implementing a bit more to the current darkness system... it failed miserably.
Tried once again updating the physics... it failed miserably.
Added a examining system (you can examine random objects. E.g. once the guy is dead, you can examine him, in which it shows "He's dead. Maybe I should find a use for this keycard?")
Composed more tracks - Another save room theme, a short boss theme and another escape theme.

Current Poll

http://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1456

Other

However, some sad news. Due to circumstances that I don't want to share with the forum, Thaedael unfortunately has to leave the team. This is not another way of saying "I kicked him out." He has been very busy, and life should always take priority. Thaedaels task will now be passed onto ANoob, and this will be a very difficult month for the team.

Therefore, what I don't want to see from this is:

People sending PMs to Thaedael saying "OMG! Why have you done this, now it's never going to be finished because of you!" ... Thaedael has been a hard worker for the team, and like I said, life should ALWAYS take priority.

People sending PMs to any of us saying "OMG! When is the next update going to be? I'm so impatient!" - While I respect the fact you enjoy the game to a point that you want to see updates frequently, I'm constantly working on this, and I mean constantly. However, there's only so far I can go before I need something from the graphics dept. which currently is trailing behind (not due to Thaedaels departure). I know I went back on my word when I said "Not releasing any updates until after graphics are done" but I was a little foolish in thinking that it would be done very quickly.

Any of this behaviour will result in 1 of 2 things:

You will be slaughtered by the moderators on here, which Thaedael is one of them. Hate mail and the like is not tolerated.
or
I will stop posting updates as frequently

I don't really want to see the latter occur, because I rely on feedback (which I haven't been getting much of anyway) and I don't want to bombard you with so much that you can't give feedback on individual things. Of course I'm not going to stop production, and I don't care if it's only a minority of people doing this, but it's very easy to forget that we're all working on this for free, like all of the people on the forums are. And no, this isn't a rant, I just know how some people might react to Thaedaels departure, and he has enough to worry about without random spammers PMing him with hate.

But thanks to all those who are patient and supportive of this project. It really wouldn't be the same without you guys :D

Z-Fied

P.S. just in case you're wondering where I got the game over pic from, I basically did a rather large edit of this picture http://www.hentaicook.com/images/rebecca1.jpg however since I did not have permission and only did it as a test, it will be removed in the next update.
Composer, Songwriter, Guitarist, Singer, Programmer, Gamer, and Zombie Expert!

My Project: Resident Evil: Progeny - Blog

"Our limits are only created by our mind, our dreams, our desires."
Z-Fied

Postby BlueLight » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

So last update i had annoying time learning how to reload. If i remember right i had to basically run out of ammo and attack again to reload.
I couldn't figure out how to do in the inventory which is annoying since it should be simple and like any other RE game in my mind with something like that.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby mgs2master2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

in this last update, i found a bug. the door you use the key on is a glitch itself. you can go in it, but whenever you go back you are stuck in the door.
mgs2master2
Newly Registered

Postby Nintendolo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Z-Fied Wrote:@Mage

Thank you, hopefully it should become easier once we've got all the basics set up, as it'll just be a case of level designing after that. Oh, and it's nice to see people are finally showing RE a bit of interest... always thought it was lacking.

No problem and i have always loved Resident Evil been one of my favorite games i have started working on a base template for female and then i think the first character im going to make is Jill Valentine xD should be interesting otherwise i may make Alice from the film series
inactivity was due to account being lost and me forgetting this forum while i was building a new pc
Sorry folks...
Nintendolo

Re: Resident Evil: Progeny (Last Update: 12/07/2011)

Postby Z-Fied » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Update! 12th July 2011, see bottom of first post/changelog.txt for details.

@BlueLight

I've re-added in the reloading through inventory feature, and also added a reloading shortcut. See the first post/changelog.

@mgs2master2

That's fixed in the new version, with some new doors in the old ones place.

@Mage

Alice eh? Can't say she's one of my favourites, but I'm sure she'll end up looking pretty hot anyways. Just stay off of all the matrix stuff please.

Z-Fied

Postby Nintendolo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 pm

@Z-Fied
yeah i will, i only like Alice's outfit any how thats really it xD apart from that Jill Valentine is probably my favourite character thanks for the suggestion
Sorry folks...
Nintendolo

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 am

@Mage
I can't say i like the movies. The second one i thought of it as a B Movie and i hate Jill in it. 3rd i gave up hope but was better than 2.

Besides you can't beat a "Jill sandwich.".
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby BubRub » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 pm

http://boards.4chan.org/gif/res/4382199#4382209

Just thought I'd drop this here, hopefully will give the sprite artist a little inspiration.
BubRub
Newly Registered

Postby Taria » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 am

It would be nice to be able to reload without using an entire clip.
Senior RP moderator
Taria

Postby Z-Fied » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Responses

@BubRub

ANoob likes said link. I don't know if it's given him inspiration, probably just a distraction :lol:

@Taria

You mean not being able to reload without firing all the shots off? In the last update I've added a shortcut for reloading (Hold X + Press C) or you can combine ammo with the gun to reload.

Progress:

Created first "puzzle" (Pretty basic) to restore power
Working on new areas
Altered save room messages
Added more examining
Notes
Considered ways of doing a Gallery Mode, which me & team have decided on.
There's going to be a 7th Character... :O
Had lots of talks with the team
Fixed that Mercenaries bug where you couldn't hit retry unless you had a save file first.

Other:

I'm not going to talk about the team until they say it's alright to put across the news. Don't expect anything bad though.

Z-Fied

Postby dantathedevil » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:15 pm

i really like the game guys i like the new game over screen when you get raped by the zombies too just a few things im wondering when or if when you might do this being able to skip the 3 logos at the beginning before it asks you if your over 18, if there will be more double team sex attacks like a Cerberus and a zombie or 2 cerberus, and if the leeches will have a sex attack if they already do i haven't found it yet. but those are just somethings im wondering about. can't wait to see the next update :mrgreen: i hope more monsters come soon hehe
dantathedevil

Postby Thaedael » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am

I hope I am not out of line answering the last question. Currently Z-fied is the programmer and team leader; his decisions are final so it will ultimately be up to him to answer your questions.

However he has 3 other members on his team;
Person 1; Makes all the character sprites, that is to say the zombies, rebecca, any other characters.
Person 2; Is the animator responsible for animating the scenes and an aspiring voice-actress
Person 3; Is a background spriter, user-interface making, and potentially cutscenes depending on what Z-fied does, and his talent permits.

Currently the 3 members of the team that are not Z-fied are working towards these goals;
to get the new rebecca sprites up and functioning before anything else. After which other things will be approached. However since this is not flash at all, it is important that is made clear now rather than later about something concerning the graphics. They have to be drawn frame by frame, meaning no tween, no free tansform, nothing but hard work and patience. So as such it should be made clear that any extra content will take time, a reality of working in the engine he has chosen.

You haven't seen the work done by the three team members just yet, however expect them some time in the future. The title screen for one is starting to shape up pretty nicely and should set the tone and expectation of the quality Z-fied is aiming for. Rebecca should eventually be followed soon afterwards once we start finalizing her. Once that is done, the outfits will be completed for her and handed off to the animator.
Thaedael

Postby catgirl64 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:18 am

Thaedael Wrote:I hope I am not out of line answering the last question. Currently Z-fied is the programmer and team leader; his decisions are final so it will ultimately be up to him to answer your questions.

However he has 3 other members on his team;
Person 1; Makes all the character sprites, that is to say the zombies, rebecca, any other characters.
Person 2; Is the animator responsible for animating the scenes and an aspiring voice-actress
Person 3; Is a background spriter, user-interface making, and potentially cutscenes depending on what Z-fied does, and his talent permits.

Currently the 3 members of the team that are not Z-fied are working towards these goals;
to get the new rebecca sprites up and functioning before anything else. After which other things will be approached. However since this is not flash at all, it is important that is made clear now rather than later about something concerning the graphics. They have to be drawn frame by frame, meaning no tween, no free tansform, nothing but hard work and patience. So as such it should be made clear that any extra content will take time, a reality of working in the engine he has chosen.

You haven't seen the work done by the three team members just yet, however expect them some time in the future. The title screen for one is starting to shape up pretty nicely and should set the tone and expectation of the quality Z-fied is aiming for. Rebecca should eventually be followed soon afterwards once we start finalizing her. Once that is done, the outfits will be completed for her and handed off to the animator.

indeed people, its very hard to DRAW, ANIMATE, and other THINGS so it would be nice if you just wait for this and we'll do our best to make it an awesome game, just like all of us want, specialy Z
catgirl64

Postby FAPCOM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop by and help you with the sprites, if you don't mind a latecomer to the team?
If I don't have any trouble, you'll find them attached to this post. They might not be conforming to whatever
sprites ANooB has, since I don't have access to them and I'm not a member of the team, but hopefully the sprite
set I've attached will work as a sort of... tryout/audition to see if I check all the boxes?

Anyway, since this IS my first post, I think it might be a while till it shows up, since I'll have to undergo an approval
process or something.

A couple of notes about the sprites (Put them in code tags as they're really long... there are 50ish sprites to comment on!)
Code: Select All Code
The sprites might seem a bit basic because I couldn't do any shadowing/gradients. I forgot
my graphics tablet and I'm away from my dorm on break so... :( I read from the pixel art tutorial that this shouldn't matter but it's
what I'm used to (plus I don't have a stylus so pen pressure control's a no-no).
So yeah, I had to sketch everything on paper, scan, then trace and color... with a mouse.

Since I couldn't control fading colors, I can't draw how reflective her spandex suit
really should be (first set of sprites on the second row!). I also used the color of the standby Rebecca
sprite skin tone from the 12th July update, and I read somewhere that this color scheme might
be deprecated.

I've never actually drawn anything on this scale (with a mouse either), and trying to
get all the details from the sketch at a scale which resembles pixel art is another
thing altogether.

Also, I didn't really do much research into how dog's run, so I just remembered how
my old dog used to run. It might not be accurate.

I'm trying to make the scenes as... "subtle", as possible, but it's hard when something
like this involves a zombie and it can get... violent. Toning it down where possible!

I didn't use the same color for the zombie as the one your game uses right now.
For the life of me I can't remember ever seeing a bluish grey zombie, so I did
a greenish-grey texture instead. (Maybe it just looks bluish-grey in game to me
because the background is night = blue?)

This might be irrelevant, but I have to say that the most fun I had was drawing
the zombie shuffle. Total zombie fan! (Animated the zombie shuffle with first sprite
on the right and progressing leftwards).

I did do something that might help you settle on a use for your morality bar: The
6-7th sprites (from the top left) are the struggle animations for a puritan,
and the next three are for when she's been naughty. Since your morality bar has
certain degrees of how pure (or not) Rebecca is, I haven't yet been able to figure
out how bad/good enough she is affects her.

Likewise, the four sprites after Rebecca's spandex suit sprites are the sex animations
for: whore (first two) and virgin (next two). I've only made two sprites of each because
I need feedback. Her "pure" animations are looking straight from the side, and the
"impure" animations are at an angle. Which looks better, or are they both equally worth
having a go at?

I've been a fan of the old resident evils, 1-3, since I love survival horror. You'll
recognize the last two sprites in this row as the limping movements made by characters
when they're badly injured.

Yes, I realize that I have to make movement sprites for all degrees of...
... "nakedness", for all costumes, for all degrees of injury. I just hope that the
running sprites animate well. Consistency in that area has got to be my weak point :/

On that note, some of the sprites may look small/large compared to the rest but when I
scaled them they looked to be alright... It's just that it's... difficult to make her
look... consistent... in... awkward positions.

Also, the sprites for Rebecca on the bottom left are for the doggy-style... stuff.
I mean, I'm a real hard fan (Hee!) of the doggy style, but I can't bring myself to
draw a dog atop her. It just... bugs... me. Oh, it goes first sprite = retracting,
to last sprite = going in. If you get what I mean. Bah, just look at her ass.

Anyway, it might work out for the best; looking at the game it looks like you need
a completely separate sprite of the dog, place it atop Rebecca and tweak its
transparency.

The fourth sprite immediately after the doggy 'Becca sprites on the last row is her
naked pose. She ought to be embarassed, after all y'all are looking at her. Anyway,
this one should be universal to any costume (duh) so I figured I should just make one.

PS: If you need the sprites reoriented, or anything else, just say so. I had a look at Thad's
pixel art tutorial but I'm still not confident what I've attached entirely befits the title
"pixel art".

And... is there anyway to kinda hide attachment bitmaps from showing up? I really don't
want to clutter the thread with sprites of RE characters in varying degrees of nudity.

Also, for my first post, this really is unusually long!
Attachments
Sprite_Set_1_Transparent.png
Transparent background sprite set
Sprite_Set_1_Blue.png
Blue background sprite set
FAPCOM

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects