Bowser's Castle 2.0.0.1

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Bowser's Castle 2.0.0.1

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat May 24, 2014 9:53 am

AlphaGammaZX Wrote:I know that its just a start but I did notice that Mario has infinite jump. I'm just saying LoL

Got it, expect double jump in next update. ;)
Man, the guys at playshapes can really use a lesson in organization skillz. All the models are crazy complex. I dunno if I'll be able to make a single usable model.
Oh well... :(
Terrantor!!!

Postby Infinitiv » Sat May 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Playshapes is one guy.
Infinitiv
Newly Registered

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Sat May 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Anyways, I'm probably gonna focus more on importing some more babes, before i fix all the mechanics.

Remember the MIM PUT model I said above. If you want to use her, I can give you the FLA of her poses, like:
peach_frontside
peach_backside
peach_side
peach_forward
peach_crouch

Each pose is , of course, a pose of bodyparts, with all the characters we have so far (Peach, Daisy, Fire Peach, Rosalina...) and her possible outfits.
So its only a matter to create more poses along the levels, like if she is mastubating frontside, peach_frontside_scene1, then peach_frontside_scene2, then peach_frontside_scene3....or we can even create 'combo scenes' using the same pose, like peach_frontside_laid_scenes, because the player can 'navigate' through the scene using LEFT/RIGHT or SPACE keys (a idea).

And, by using AS3, each pose can have an instance name, then we can just 'attach it' to the stage in a given area we want Peach to appear. We dont even need a 'Peach main model MC' because we arent going to play with her.

But you can also prioritize other babes and code if you wish. I dont have the model right with me yet, I am still far from my computer until day 26 or 27.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Got it, expect double jump in next update. ;)

You can also make a single collision just to avoid us to miss Mario in the demo ;) Or the button 'restart', just to make the demo more playable. Sometimes I play it, even having just the corridor. I like seeing the mechanics and your progress.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Man, the guys at playshapes can really use a lesson in organization skillz. All the models are crazy complex. I dunno if I'll be able to make a single usable model. Oh well... :(

I understand. The problem is that AS1 was still 'famous', and you know, when we are in the beginning, we are so enthusiastic about the magical kingdom, the fairy lands, the possibilities with XXX that we tries to make the computer do what we are thinking directly, while not losing so much time. We then program without the required skills. But everything ends up tidy in the end. MIM code, for example, was entirelly remade from scratch, using functions (before, the code was scattered over the timelines and even in the 'actions' pane (Right click of the object!) a thing AS3 forbids). I am still 'modularizing' functions in MIM PUT because there is still room for more optimization. But each enemy has its own code because I dont use classes and its instances yet, although I use functions like stomp(), collide() and fire(), because, if not, I would be duplicating code. Classes? Well, actually, AS2 uses classes internally. collide() inside enemy_MC is already like enemy_MC->collide(). But making real classes, with public, private, packages, maybe in another project, or a conversion to AS3. A thing I wouldnt be making like 'a must' because it will help like 5% in the game. Its better to finish it, making more content (scenes and levels). The game is already working as proposed.

Like I said, its possible to be organized and to work faster, having great good games in AS2. What makes me still AS2 is the speed, the 'current flow of game making'. I can make levels and scenes like 'eating a cake', and the end result is nice. When I get used to AS3, the reusability will be of course better, and everything will be 'accustomed with' the same way anyway. Its all re-learning.
Ivan-Aedler

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Infinitiv Wrote:Playshapes is one guy.

My mistake!!!! I'm surprised one guy created all those graphics, seems like all he needed was a coder.

@Ivan: I really do appreciate the model, only thing is it's a completely different style from the art that Playshapes made. It won't exactly match up. However, If I can look into shaders, I'll definitely try her out, plus It'll be much better having a fully usable Peach to drive story, at least. So go ahead and send her my way!!

In this update, we got double jump going and a somewhat better tuned collision. Next up is sidewall collision so you guys can stop falling off, and a reset button if you manage to. Kinda wanna get the vcam up n running, today, too. I got errands to run, first.
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's Castle.swf [ 50.32 KiB | Viewed 4356 times ]

Terrantor!!!

Postby Terrantor!!! » Mon May 26, 2014 5:21 am

Here's today's little tidbit. we got sidewall action. No resetti, yeti. I am aware that if you are going too fast, you automatically get shot up to the top panel. I'm gonna work on this, and you can always delete the ceiling hitbox, anyways, lol. so yeah, easy fix. ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's Castle.swf [ 50.76 KiB | Viewed 4091 times ]

Terrantor!!!

Postby Terrantor!!! » Mon May 26, 2014 7:21 am

Pulled off some overtime and decided to show how fast it is to add new levels to the game. Proceed to the right, but move left, as I still need to iron out the kinks with level transitions. Zoom is back in, but needs to be tuned, for sure.

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's Castle.swf [ 161.8 KiB | Viewed 4066 times ]

W-zoom,a-left,d-right,break;
Terrantor!!!

Postby AlphaGammaZX » Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Maybe you should make it to where there is multiple levels on zooming in? Maybe like a 2x or 4x option? I don't know how hard that would be but it would be good to have that option to check out some of the details that you would put into this game.
AlphaGammaZX

Postby Birkst » Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

I test the flash game quickly...

Some bug reported:

Midna does something? Or it's just for the background?
Peach at the begining, bug 'position' when she is kidnapped by Bowser, she's still at the same place... O_o
Krystal language... I really don't understand when she's speak...
Luigi + Toadette have just one scene or more?
Some 'coin block' have a bug of (i don't know the word) when you jump on it, you fall... :/
After Midna, the background become black, blue, white and... Freeze!
A Little pixel of Link he still on the game
Some arrows actions, freeze or bug

And some items when i don't understand the goal...

Red hat and green hat? It's just for the style? Or they add some effects?
The multicolor star... What they does?

Excuse me if my english is bad, it's not my main language (i go add this to my signature... x)
Birkst

Postby FurrinGok » Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 am

Uh, the old author quit the planet so it's currently being worked on from scratch, Birkst. We don't even have those scenes anymore.
Gangs n' Whores' Resident Grammar Hitler, head honcho of the Grammar Nazis. Don't ask why it's me, the others called me that.
FurrinGok
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 am

Here's todays update.
bad news...
Scaling really fucks up the hit testing so no zoom until i find a workaround
GREAT NEWS!!!
Finally made a stable collision system.
Ok News.
I've decided sex scenes will load up a lot like the original so zoom won't be needed.:)
Here it is:

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's Castle.swf [ 23.73 KiB | Viewed 3555 times ]

Terrantor!!!

Postby Zeus Kabob » Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 am

"Stable" seems like the wrong word for it. Mario's body doesn't interact with solid objects in any way. I'd recommend implementing bottom and side hitboxes for certain objects (like solid blocks) so they can effectively block Mario's movement.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Dead2112man » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am

Hey, Before you guys go completely over board with redoing Playshapes original project. Try to kept it to still look like how Playshape would have wanted it, Just look at how the game demo works and try to kept it almost the same but with twist. Basicly, don't make it have multiple levels, that was with Playshapes "Mario is Missing", (Nice work Ivan-Aedler so far). Use all the characters Playshape was going to use, Including all in the characters in the demo, on his last post, and those that would make sense to Playshape. Also, Why not just start a new page for this so people don't get confused that this is a remake from scratch, not a fixer upper like Rex try to do originally with this page.
Dead2112man

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Zeus Kabob Wrote:"Stable" seems like the wrong word for it. Mario's body doesn't interact with solid objects in any way. I'd recommend implementing bottom and side hitboxes for certain objects (like solid blocks) so they can effectively block Mario's movement.

I guess stablER was what I meant. but ground collisions are as tight as I want them to be. As for obstacles, hitboxes are a bad idea, at this point, what I could build is a series of points within a sprite and attach that to mario's registration and set up if conditionals for when a certain combination of hits produces the desired result.
i.e.

.tl .tc .tr
.rl .ia .rr
.bl .xy .br

example code for one of many instances:

Code: Select All Code
function frame(e:Event){
     if(hitbox.hitTestPoint(mario.hitcage.br.x,mario.hitcage.br.y,true)&&(hitbox.hitTestPoint(mario.hitcage.rr.x,mario.hitcage.rr.y,true){
          mario.xvel*=-.6;
     }
}

So in this instance if the hitbox collides with point br and point rr, he will actually be repelled in the opposite direction.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Zeus Kabob » Thu May 29, 2014 10:34 pm

That makes a lot of sense Terrantor. One thing I'd recommend you do with further level designs is to avoid thin collision boxes, as Mario can fall through the entire box in one frame if he's moving fast enough.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu May 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Dead2112man Wrote:Hey, Before you guys go completely over board with redoing Playshapes original project. Try to kept it to still look like how Playshape would have wanted it, Just look at how the game demo works and try to kept it almost the same but with twist. Basicly, don't make it have multiple levels, that was with Playshapes "Mario is Missing", (Nice work Ivan-Aedler so far). Use all the characters Playshape was going to use, Including all in the characters in the demo, on his last post, and those that would make sense to Playshape. Also, Why not just start a new page for this so people don't get confused that this is a remake from scratch, not a fixer upper like Rex try to do originally with this page.

That's a valid Idea. I definitely will do that once I get over the curve that is setting up the engine foundations. once I get this new engine set-up, it'll be real easy to migrate content from the original in. til then, this is just hypotheticals. If I'm to start a thread it's because the engine is finished and I'm simply adding content. Otherwise, this project is in limbo.

Zeus Kabob Wrote:That makes a lot of sense Terrantor. One thing I'd recommend you do with further level designs is to avoid thin collision boxes, as Mario can fall through the entire box in one frame if he's moving fast enough.

Yeah, that won't be an issue because we're dealing with big blocky tilesets, i was just demonstrating how precise it can be, should we go all-terrain up in this bitch.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri May 30, 2014 2:40 am

YAY, got a platform engine!!! All I need is someone that likes to build castles. I'd do it myself but it not come out so good :). Pretty much I'll teach you how to build and we'll work on the resource library while we make it. Pm me if you're interested.

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's Castle.swf [ 21.82 KiB | Viewed 3322 times ]

Terrantor!!!

Postby MPLDAM9919 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 am

Terrantor!!! Wrote:YAY, got a platform engine!!! All I need is someone that likes to build castles. I'd do it myself but it not come out so good :). Pretty much I'll teach you how to build and we'll work on the resource library while we make it. Pm me if you're interested.

Bowser's Castle.swf

How about a some blueprints of some castles and you pick one you like the best?
MPLDAM9919

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri May 30, 2014 3:34 am

@mpl: I like where this is going. Let's see them, shall we?
Terrantor!!!

Postby MPLDAM9919 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:41 am

Terrantor!!! Wrote:@mpl: I like where this is going. Let's see them, shall we?

Well, I don't have any made.....yet. Maybe I'll draw up some castle designs for you when I get some free time.
MPLDAM9919

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 am

Sounds like a plan. remember they have to obey the perspective of the original, that way things match up. other than that, we'll see what we can do. also note where the damsels are gonna be and other important things, so we can start figuring out how the game will flow. I'll be working on the gui and other hittests, I've got one for hitting your head on the ceiling already, lol.
Terrantor!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects