Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/12)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Which character is your favorite so far?

Emilia (Warrior)
12%
Rhiannon (Berserker)
13%
Irine (Priest)
10%
Cesca (Thief)
13%
Thyme (Sage)
16%
Lanie (Magician)
13%
Sairyn (Martial Artist)
10%
Asella (Paladin)
12%

Total votes : 1714

Re: Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/1

Postby StarkePT » Sat May 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Let me answer a couple of questions in KITAmaru's part:

• There's 64 face sprites for Emilia while there's only 28 for Rhiannon and from those 28 you can count at least 8 our because they're just copy/paste of the one before that, therefore it is harder to give you such a wide range of facial expressions.

• From what I could gather before, the idea of having a main male character (or any new character to start with) it's out of question, maybe (almost definitely) you will have one at later stages in your party. Maybe in a future game? :)

• About the Gwyn Campfire scene, no, that's all you get but if you do get that scene, it's way easier to go back to the room where you two hang out later and just get the scene, if your purity is low and you don't get that scene, you gotta go to the washrooms and have a couple of baths with Gwyn (by allowing her to join in).

• Enyo is where she is in a strength level on purpose, she has a lot of attack and that usually gets her by but she never fought someone who could take it to the face and then fight back (that's why her damage is one of the highest or just THE highest of the game) and I'm pretty sure she will come back stronger in the future. You guys gotta keep in mind that this is the first division and it is supposed to be easy. Further ahead I'm pretty sure the enemies will be stronger AND trickier.

KITAmaru, is Irine losing her nun habit?
StarkePT

Postby Lucky777 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Kuragari Wrote:what are the chances of at some point in the relatively near future being able to play as a male character? It wouldn't have to be that Orp*can't remember his name* guy, it could perhaps be a rogue of somesort within the Redclaw Syndicate who wants to rise through the ranks and become the head of the entire criminal organization. I think that'd be an interesting addition, especially with the purity system (you could actually play it so that said character wants to reform/reforge the syndicate into something better)

Kuragari Wrote:That your personal opinion on the whole concept of having a male character to play as,
the playing as a male member of the syndicate,
or the actual consensus of the fans here at that time that no, there was no interest in playing a male character in this game?

That's my memory of where Kita had in fact ended the discussion (fan opinions concurring but also, of course, being completely irrelevant).
You play as the primary 8, full stop, though you may have male party members at some time.
So basically the answer to your question, IF memory serves, is and will be:
"As far as every single thing in the FIRST quotation above goes, conclusively no to all, simple, absolute, and 100%."
But you can get his true "Word of Kita" on it when he logs in.
Lucky777

Postby SpectralTime » Sat May 05, 2012 8:41 pm

...I actually like Rhiannion's facial expression as they've been used so far. They give her personality without needing to be goofy or excessive. Just my two cents...
SpectralTime

Postby Kuragari » Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Hey, I had a thought. What do you guys think the alignment of each of the playable characters is?

Oh, and if anyone here could point me to a very simple and easy to understand tutorial for RPG maker vx, that would be most appreciated.
Kuragari

Postby SpectralTime » Sun May 06, 2012 12:30 am

Kuragari Wrote:Hey, I had a thought. What do you guys think the alignment of each of the playable characters is?

...Daggome it. This question irritates everyone almost as much as it makes everyone have fun answering it.

So, what the hey.

NOTE: Answers WILL vary based on individual roleplaying and character development. This is just based on who they are at the start of the game.

Emilia: A straight hero type, without a lot of ambiguity or complexity, who doesn't stress too much about tradition or whatnot without trying to effect social change or anything. I'm gunning for Neutral Good.

Rhiannon: ...Okay, this one's going to raise some eyebrows, so let me say at first that I luvs Rhiannon. She's easily my favorite girl as a character and one of my favorite girls period. That said... Chaotic Evil. It's not even close.
Now, that particular alignment doesn't mean she's completely devoid of any redeeming qualities or positive aspects, but the fact remains that, at the start of the game, she's a murderous bandit who's killed any number of ordinary, decent people and taken their stuff out of selfishness and greed, without a care in the world. Chaotic Evil characters needn't be rotten to the bones or Stupid Evil or have no redeeming qualities, but, at the start of the game, Chaotic Evil.
It's part of why I like roleplaying her slow turn to Neutral, then Good, though it hasn't quite gotten that far yet. As to the Chaotic, well, she's anti-authority, and is an anarchist rebel fighting a government conspiracy. Hey. Self-evident.

Irine: Well, thank the Sun for THIS breather! Kind, decent, as devoted to the good of others as she is to adhereing to certain standards of expected behavior and tradition... Lawful Good. Hands down. She's the Keldorn of this game, the paladin who, despite being a paladin, is still a fun and interesting character without being a jerk about it.

Cesca: ...I hate answering this, because it's the most abused alignment in the entire world, and I freely admit that I probably don't know enough about Cesca to answer it, but... Chaotic Neutral. Unlike Rhiannon, she doesn't really kill anyone, but she's almost completely unconcerned with the altruistic greater good or whatnot, without taking it to Rhiannon's selfish extremes. Also, she's a thief fighting the law.

Thyme: ...I hate even more answering this twice in a row, but, again, Chaotic Neutral. Just like Cesca, she's come to the Labrynth mostly for her own reasons, and, like Cesca, she exists outside the social order on multiple levels (weird magic, lives in a hut in a swamp, works in an... unladylike field, etc.).

Lanie: I may not like her, but only the devil lets his own personal taste for a character inform his opinion of their alignment. Lanie, who has no strong inclinations towards altruism or destructive selfishness, and, while slutty in a socially unacceptable way is still concerned about the approval of society at large (eg. grades and prestige), is True Neutral.

Sairyn: Easy peasy! She comes to the Labrynth to fulfill her own duty-bound philosophy of life by helping people. A different sort, but she is also Lawful Good.

Asella: ...Tricky. On the one hand, her character bio tells us that she looks down on the lower classes. On the other, she clearly still has positive qualities despite her arrogance, as Lumina's story suggests. I'mma go with Lawful Neutral, for her tradition-bound ways and arrogant disregard for those she considers beneath her... but, in that Arcadian sort of way, where good is still a factor, even though the plane/person as a whole is still a place of law before good.

...And now the disagreements begin...
SpectralTime

Postby oni-san » Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 am

+1 for the alignments, Spectral!

Most of the time I tend to disagree with people's picks for such things, but yours are spot on as far as I'm concerned.
Current Project: None, really.
oni-san

Postby Lucky777 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 am

Close enough, though the example of "True Neutral" in the baldur's gate instruction booklet suggested that they're highly concerned with balance, or something.

I'd probably go with Lawful Good for the high purity ones except the thieves, and Chaotic Neutral is about right for Cesca and Thyme.
I'm in agreement with the Neutral Good and Lawful Neutral judgements, too, though I base agreement for Asella solely on her character-blurb from the beginning, because I
will never waste my precious irretrievable time with a single high-purity shenanigan in this game's entire existence.
I'd need more backstory before agreeing Chaotic Evil on Rhiannon.
Bandit or not, the circumstances of the killings that her Faust Raiders performed would count a lot for me.

In during fuck alignments, they're all unaligned so they don't level down when you make different choices for them.
Lucky777

Postby sdibolcrif » Sun May 06, 2012 1:54 am

Kuragari Wrote:That your personal opinion on the whole concept of having a male character to play as, the playing as a male member of the syndicate, or the actual consensus of the fans here at that time that no, there was no interest in playing a male character in this game?

How about option 3 - that it would be a *ton* of work that would be completely unrelated to the entire premise of the game?
sdibolcrif

Postby SpectralTime » Sun May 06, 2012 1:57 am

...Well, see, "True Neutral" in Second Edition was different, and intended mostly for druids. Nowadays, it's used to describe everything from animals, who have no moral or ethical sense at all, to ordinary people who don't have any strong inclinations towards philosophy, to... well, stupid druids rambling about balance. TvTropes has a pretty good article on the subject.

Mostly, I call her Chaotic Evil because, despite the fact that she's a sympathetic and interesting character, Rhiannon's Chambers dude DOES point out that she killed his father and ruined his life without a second thought, purely for monetary reasons. That's... bad.

On the whole though... thanks. These sorts of discussions usually start out with a screaming slap-fight, and I'm glad people seem to like mine.
SpectralTime

Postby Donovan0 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm

What to say that hasn't been said already????
I have to start by saying that your game is one of the most interesting I've played.
I love it!

Every time an update comes out I enjoy it more and more.

So... keep up the good work!!
Cheers!
James
Donovan0
Newly Registered

Postby Lucky777 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd imagine the screaming slap fights tend to be brought on by the alignment system's own nature as a system both fundamentally flawed and logically invalid.

To try to sum up the entirety of a character in two words out of a TOTAL number of 6 possible predetermined words is an endeavour not likely to end well.

On top of that, a system that requires one to give the term "chaotic" to those who have a perfectly ordered, consistent, and not chaotic at all philosophy, so long as it contravenes any given external system of law, puts a hell of a painful strain on the meaning of the word "chaotic," and a system that relies on subjective value judgements like "evil" and "good" and tries to give them some kind of external, separate reality was doomed to complete failure from the very beginning.

Regardless, I actually posted to ask:

"Hey, Kita, apart from awl dem monsters, are we going to see any of the Trouble 5 in the next update, and if we do, have they any H-Scenes?"
Lucky777

Postby KITAmaru » Sun May 06, 2012 7:08 pm

werewolf2010-
I updated the link for the RTP on the first post, all you have to do is run that program and it will install on your computer automatically, then you should be free to play the game. However, I'll go ahead and attempt to upload a working version with the RTP included once I get home.

Starke-
Irine losing her... hey now, no spoilahs! But uh, I'll probably have to see when I get there.

Firesong-
Mm, yes, you get to be a little more romantic with Gwyn at the campfire before Xanrud and his goons barge in and blueball you. Essentially there are only two variations, so once you've gotten to the touchy feely part with her, that's about as far as you can get. That is, until after you rescue her then return to that place, then you two can finish what you started... fufu.

Kuragari-
Male playable characters, I'm pretty much going to say no at this rate. So for the most part, you won't be able to consistently experience the game via a second-person male perspective--perhaps the closest you can get is finding a futa potion of sorts, or a gender bending one (although that will be an exclusive rather than something that spans the Primary 8), and even then those will be relatively isolated incidents.

Male party members: Yes.
Being a male throughout the entire game: No.

SpectralTime-
Welp, that's good. Either way, the initial reason behind me not adding expressions until later mainly had to do with there not being enough 'erotic' facial expressions--and I think this is fairly evident in the case of Rhiannon and Irine. Lanie and Emilia definitely have ones that work best, I would say.
Heh, interesting take on the alignments here. Obviously, these can certainly be mutable depending on how the character is played, and I personally tend to see alignments as more... situation dependent as opposed to set in stone. Milgram experiment ~> Situational Lawful Evil? But then again, this is more my own rant about the system itself, etc etc.

All in all though, I'd actually have to agree with your assessments for the most part. I once even thought about some of the girls in an M:TG color pie way, although that's arguably even more restrictive than the alignment system.

Lucky-
Yes. You will see a member of the Trouble 5... yes. There will be a corresponding H-scene.
...No, it's not Concepta. :P Sorry to kill your boner. Huhuhu...
Current project:
Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Update: 0.09 (4/18/12):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1640
Wiki:
http://despairlabyrinth.wikia.com
KITAmaru

Postby BlueBody » Sun May 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Is there anyway to keep the nun habit on Irine during scenes in the future? I LOVE seeing her in it :(
Fav. games on LoK Forums!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BlueBody

Postby Lucky777 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Concepta would have been great, but any of the others pretty much work too.

NONE OF THE TROUBLE FIVE COULD SUCCEED IN BEING A BONERKILL

*Thumbs up sign*
Lucky777

Postby BlueBody » Sun May 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Better yet, a Trouble Five orgy! :D
Fav. games on LoK Forums!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BlueBody

Postby StarkePT » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm

KITAmaru Wrote:werewolf2010-
I updated the link for the RTP on the first post, all you have to do is run that program and it will install on your computer automatically, then you should be free to play the game. However, I'll go ahead and attempt to upload a working version with the RTP included once I get home.

Starke-
Irine losing her... hey now, no spoilahs! But uh, I'll probably have to see when I get there.

Firesong-
Mm, yes, you get to be a little more romantic with Gwyn at the campfire before Xanrud and his goons barge in and blueball you. Essentially there are only two variations, so once you've gotten to the touchy feely part with her, that's about as far as you can get. That is, until after you rescue her then return to that place, then you two can finish what you started... fufu.

Kuragari-
Male playable characters, I'm pretty much going to say no at this rate. So for the most part, you won't be able to consistently experience the game via a second-person male perspective--perhaps the closest you can get is finding a futa potion of sorts, or a gender bending one (although that will be an exclusive rather than something that spans the Primary 8), and even then those will be relatively isolated incidents.

Male party members: Yes.
Being a male throughout the entire game: No.

SpectralTime-
Welp, that's good. Either way, the initial reason behind me not adding expressions until later mainly had to do with there not being enough 'erotic' facial expressions--and I think this is fairly evident in the case of Rhiannon and Irine. Lanie and Emilia definitely have ones that work best, I would say.
Heh, interesting take on the alignments here. Obviously, these can certainly be mutable depending on how the character is played, and I personally tend to see alignments as more... situation dependent as opposed to set in stone. Milgram experiment ~> Situational Lawful Evil? But then again, this is more my own rant about the system itself, etc etc.

All in all though, I'd actually have to agree with your assessments for the most part. I once even thought about some of the girls in an M:TG color pie way, although that's arguably even more restrictive than the alignment system.

Lucky-
Yes. You will see a member of the Trouble 5... yes. There will be a corresponding H-scene.
...No, it's not Concepta. :P Sorry to kill your boner. Huhuhu...

Not spoiling bro just asking xD

But you already said you don't know or else I'd ask through PM, she seems younger without it, might have a Flashback incoming xD

Anyway just came to my mind hmm, the interior shot scenes which you mentioned previously, will they have a trigger to turn it on or off? Like: "Do you want me to cum inside or out?" and then *Show interior shot? YES - NO* or just plain, here have the H-Scene. (Just not looking forward for those even tho I don't mind it).
StarkePT

Postby Kuragari » Mon May 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Wait a sec, your saying not the whole game...are you hinting at (or am I giving you the idea?) that perhaps at some point you may for a brief time play as a male character who then has to go save the rest of the female members of the party?
Kuragari

Postby Lucky777 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Pretty sure he was referring to the fact that the male party members, like other party members, will come and go, and will not remain for "the entire game."
Lucky777

Postby oni-san » Mon May 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Motion seconded from 777, though I kind of don't want male party members. But that's just me.
Current Project: None, really.
oni-san

Postby Lucky777 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Dude won't force any party members on ya except for Gwyn (for whatever reason he decided to force her on ya).

Hopin' I get to perma-chain Orpheus into the Chambers and throw Wolfram into a meatgrinder sometime.

Apart from that, though, male party members are neither here nor there to me, personally.
Lucky777

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner