Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/12)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Which character is your favorite so far?

Emilia (Warrior)
12%
Rhiannon (Berserker)
13%
Irine (Priest)
10%
Cesca (Thief)
13%
Thyme (Sage)
16%
Lanie (Magician)
13%
Sairyn (Martial Artist)
10%
Asella (Paladin)
12%

Total votes : 1714

Re: Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/1

Postby sky-eye » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 am

KITAmaru Wrote:Anyway, glad you guys like Asella--yeah, she's more of a tank character than an offensive one, which can make soloing a bit of a pain, though I can't really imagine what other drawbacks to give for a character who needs both high HP and MP--I think her AGI is the lowest, as well.

It's only a pain if you're impatient, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Her damage absorption makes for a less uncertain fight, especially against new foes.

KITAmaru Wrote:Emilia should also be a little stronger than she is,

You have got to be joking. Emilia is the second most powerful character in the whole lineup currently, only behind Thyme. Being an all-rounder means she has no real weaknesses, and Sever Nerve is ridiculously powerful. It's a total lockdown that also inflicts extra damage. And unlike the spellcasters who rely on status-lock, she has actual hitpoints and defence if things go wrong. Even without it, she can plough through both bosses and groups easily, and let's not forget the utility that having two weapon slots provides.

I'd actually suggest taking Sever Nerve away and buffing her Phantom Mirage ability, which is currently pretty useless. In order for it to be worth using, it has to mitigate at least as many attacks as (number of opponents plus one), and it basically doesn't manage it. I'm not really sure how much of an effect AGI has on dodging, but it doesn't seem to be very much, if any at all. In short fights, it's more efficient to spam actual attacks than buff defences, so I'd suggest simply giving it a much longer duration for use in boss fights. I don't think it would hurt if it lasted the whole fight, even.

KITAmaru Wrote:I think Lanie is the weakest right now despite her spells doing a lot of damage; it's probably the lack of a stun-lock that's killing her

I really enjoy the way she plays, currently. As a litmus test, she can take Xanrud just like everyone else, and he's a high-damage boss with thousands of hitpoints. In fact, I've yet to lose a fight with any of the characters. The only ones I have trouble with are Rhiannon, because I'm too conservative to use her berserk properly (Juggernaut solved that for the most part), and Sairyn, because missing a lot is problematic. And it really does seem like she misses a lot with her skills.

On the subject of Charming Wink, you could just set the chance of affecting an opponent down to about 25-30% and attack all of them once, like before, instead of hitting two random targets. It would remain useful for mitigating a group, but it would stop it from being an I-win button against single targets. It's not like she doesn't make short work of those with her other skills.
sky-eye

Postby KITAmaru » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 am

The save problem hasn't been fixed per se but it's easy to unlock again if you simply repeat it or have the master version (or my special save, of course, which I can link to if ya need it).

Alright, I'll consider the whole Mirage thing with Emilia. I adjusted the 'hit' ratio of Charming Wink as suggested, so we'll see how that goes.
From what I know, AGI has no effect on dodge ratio, actually... as strange as that sounds. It's kind of disappointing, especially for 'thiefy' characters like Cesca and Sairyn who lack armor, but yeah, I think it's a priority thing, but a lot of things in DLaby are still VX defaults in terms of stats and how moves work, and I'm just not scripting-savvy enough to modify too many of them unfortunately.

I also know that the dual wield is by default broken in RPGVX, as in you won't attack with one weapon then the other, but rather combine both your weapons into one attack (so if you miss, you miss with both, strangely enough). There are scripts for 'true dual wielding' but all I hear is that they have a lot of bugs so I'm hesitant to have to squash even MORE bugs besides the ones that tend to pop up all the time already.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried using the Radiant Edge (treasure room quest reward) in conjunction with the Widowmaker (Xanrud's sword) for Cesca?
Both of them cause status effects so I was curious to see if you could get them both to proc with one 'hit', considering the nature of dual wield that I just mentioned.
Current project:
Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Update: 0.09 (4/18/12):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1640
Wiki:
http://despairlabyrinth.wikia.com
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:01 pm

sky-eye Wrote:Sairyn, because missing a lot is problematic. And it really does seem like she misses a lot with her skills.

Ah, so it wasn't just me.

...Yeah, Sairyn DOES seem to miss alot, doesn't she.
Lucky777

Postby StarkePT » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:23 pm

KITAmaru Wrote:I also know that the dual wield is by default broken in RPGVX, as in you won't attack with one weapon then the other, but rather combine both your weapons into one attack (so if you miss, you miss with both, strangely enough). There are scripts for 'true dual wielding' but all I hear is that they have a lot of bugs so I'm hesitant to have to squash even MORE bugs besides the ones that tend to pop up all the time already.

Behind you 100%

KITAmaru Wrote:Speaking of which, has anyone tried using the Radiant Edge (treasure room quest reward) in conjunction with the Widowmaker (Xanrud's sword) for Cesca?
Both of them cause status effects so I was curious to see if you could get them both to proc with one 'hit', considering the nature of dual wield that I just mentioned.

No, will try later since Widowmaker is not necessarily the strongest sword in the game next to Radiant Edge xD
StarkePT

Postby KITAmaru » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:02 pm

It's really weird because I don't believe there is an accuracy stat outside of the hit ratio of certain moves, so regular attacks wise, Sairyn isn't actually any more accurate than the other characters. Her Flying Knee and Doumawashi do have a hit rate of 70% instead of 100% though, which could add to the 'feeling' of missing more often.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby phoenyxz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:02 pm

usually i ont comment ingame contents since i like to discover the things by myself, before check others experiences especially i have a terrble, luck and litle pacience with mage but for the spellcasters so far the better who suited me was thyme so far, lanie has to short hp for my taste and way of play, but when i get time this week ill check the new content with my save of thyme and make a new with lanie to see how she fairs this time, im looking forward to see thyme after having seeing her talking to Irine.
time for me this month is not cooperating :( :evil: with me cuz of the work lately to many problems in my section of work.
phoenyxz

Postby iamnuff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:24 pm

im not sure i understand what you are saying...

people mentioned that her skills seem to miss alot, you said "no they dont, her accuarcy is the same as everyone esle"

then you said atleast two of her skills only have 70% chance to hit. so it "feels" like she misses more.

so her skills have 30% more chance to miss than any other characters skill, right? so she "feels" likes she misses more, because she actually misses more

or am i missing something?

edit:

also, you said something about a "special save"?
iamnuff

Postby KITAmaru » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:46 pm

In terms of regular attacks, there isn't a stat--or doesn't appear to be one off the bat--that adjusts HIT that I know of. HOWEVER, each skill, on its own, has a Hit % that you can adjust, and I made it so that two of her skills have 70% hit ratio instead of the usual 100%, which may make it seem like she misses more overall when people utilize those skills. However, when it comes to ~normal attacks~, she shouldn't miss more than anyone else, because if you look at the master file, there is NOTHING that says she has lower accuracy. It's only those two skills that do.

Yep, master save. Need to delete your CG.save file first before this one can work by dropping it in your game folder then opening the gallery:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vyazxc7lv7o5get
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby phoenyxz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

about dual wield with cesca i vote for swordbreaker and radiant edge, has a high chance of not miss normal atak as i have seen so far gotta try check later with the widowmaker to be sure about it.
phoenyxz

Postby StarkePT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:16 am

iamnuff Wrote:im not sure i understand what you are saying...

people mentioned that her skills seem to miss alot, you said "no they dont, her accuarcy is the same as everyone esle"

then you said atleast two of her skills only have 70% chance to hit. so it "feels" like she misses more.

so her skills have 30% more chance to miss than any other characters skill, right? so she "feels" likes she misses more, because she actually misses more

or am i missing something?

edit:

also, you said something about a "special save"?

God you're thick headed.

She has two skills out of what? 10? That specifically say that those skills have only a 70% chance to hit. Other than those two specific skills, her hit ratio on the other skills AND auto-attacks is the same as any other character. They have those ratios in order to be balanced since they have the highest base stats of any skill before weaknesses and resistances are applied. If people stop using those two skills or, become aware that those skills are supposed to miss now and then she won't be feeling like it misses more often than any other character.
StarkePT

Postby SpectralTime » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:20 am

...Wait, that's IT!

You notice BECAUSE you do more auto-attacking with Sai than anyone else, due to her low mana pool combined with her reduced attack power. You don't really see it with Rhiannion or Emilia, because their fights are over pretty quick, but with Sai it sticks out! Same with Asella, when she's not spamming her skills.
SpectralTime

Postby Lucky777 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 am

...So yeah, short answer is that Sairyn misses more, but not with auto-attacks, as far as the game tells you. Right.
Lucky777

Postby StarkePT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 am

Finally, after some hours of hard work the Walkthrough for the version 0.09 is complete with some pictures added to make your life easier, you can check it out here: http://despairlabyrinth.wikia.com/wiki/Walkthrough

Hope you enjoy it.
StarkePT

Postby KITAmaru » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:57 am

Yep, that's the verdict. That being said, not a lot of characters have special attacks with a hit ratio that is actually lowered, like Sairyn (ironically I think the hit ratio was suggested to me during testing at one point), so she might actually see a buff in the future in some form.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Insomniac » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:30 am

StarkePT Wrote:KITA, can you send me the final 0.09 version with the tester tools? Thanks.

Would I be able to get this too, please?

Also, I've been wondering, why does the riding crop look like a shovel?
Insomniac

Postby StarkePT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:38 am

Disregard that
Last edited by StarkePT on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarkePT

Postby KITAmaru » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 am

He is! It's listed in the credits now iirc.
And... well, it's cause I need to find the better riding crop, so that's the best I could get for now, strangely enough--so it's a bit more of a paddle. I have absolutely no one to help me find 3DCG mods though. :< YOU ARE WELCOME TO HELP.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby BlueBody » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:00 am

Eh. My honest review of 0.09:

It wasn't bad. I think the greatest downside to 0.09 was me expecting too much to be released all at once. If anything, the new sections were interesting to explore, but there are so many locked doors that just make me frustrated. I mean, I know they're decorations and all, but there was about 2 new scenes for each character, give or take 1 extra for some, and I was hoping for new interesting maps to explore if there wasn't going to be number new H-scenes.

In anycase, good solid work as always. I can't really find anything bad to say about the new update.
Fav. games on LoK Forums!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BlueBody

Postby KITAmaru » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Mm, indeed. 0.09 has a good amount of lore and some more in-depth character-exclusive events when compared to 0.08 (whose main attraction was the CG overhaul, I'd say, in addition to the dojo area), but all in all it is still a '2-month' patch, since 2 months of mine were spent taking a sort of a break to do some heavy DLaby 'research'. I'll still be doing that, mind you, but have got it down to a good schedule so there'll still be plenty of time to start pumping out these updates.

Not gonna lie though, right now I'm working on adding emotions to every H-scene and phewwww, this could take at least two weeks in itself, depending on how my exam schedule goes as well. I might release a 'mini' patch before 0.10 that includes emotion-faces for all the H-scenes and perhaps a bonus H-scene or two, since like I said, I'm not a fan of releasing patches without at least something new to enjoy.

Since I'm at the halfway point with regards to Common Events for this file, I'm going to have to limit myself to about maybe 3-4 generic H-scenes per patch, or more if they are character exclusive (which tends to not take up as many slots). Hopefully we'll be seeing more battles, more items, definitely will be looking at different 'partners' what with the introduction of the Arcane Division, and so on.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby StarkePT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm

KITAmaru Wrote:He is! It's listed in the credits now iirc.
And... well, it's cause I need to find the better riding crop, so that's the best I could get for now, strangely enough--so it's a bit more of a paddle. I have absolutely no one to help me find 3DCG mods though. :< YOU ARE WELCOME TO HELP.

Hmm, ok just trying to do some triage xD

Nah, all jokes aside, any question people have for you I'll be glad to answer them beforehand since people like answers fast even tho not always you might be able to provide them, so yeah lol.

Just checked the credits to find out, my name is on it lol, can you switch that at a later version my nick is Starke instead of RealStarke? Just picked real because someone took my nickname on Wiki.

Well I'm not a 3DCG superstar but I can be, I'll look around KITA and see what I can do.
StarkePT

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner