Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/12)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Which character is your favorite so far?

Emilia (Warrior)
12%
Rhiannon (Berserker)
13%
Irine (Priest)
10%
Cesca (Thief)
13%
Thyme (Sage)
16%
Lanie (Magician)
13%
Sairyn (Martial Artist)
10%
Asella (Paladin)
12%

Total votes : 1714

Re: Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/1

Postby Sync » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Couple of things I've noticed in the 0.09 version, and wondered if they were deliberate:
* The two "merchants" you first come across, just before the Gargoyle room, are not available for you to sell anything - you can only Guy from them.
* When you get to the current end and use the crystal to go back to the Barracks, the ability to Save the game is disabled at that point.
If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Sync

Postby TrainsRunOnThyme » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm having an issue with installing the game. Specifically, it insists the RTP isn't installed.

I had .08 running fine, but I've gotten a new PC since then, so that's not too helpful. The RTP is installed, and checking the file location as well as windows' list of installed programs confirms that. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both, including with admin privileges. I also tried using the game/RTP bundle, but the unpackager always locks up on "heal2.png".
TrainsRunOnThyme
Newly Registered

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeap, already discussed the second one, but thanks--it was an oversight on my part. This can be fixed by going back to that last room, then exiting via the door (which should enable saves again; I made it so that saves are automatically disabled when you enter it, so that people won't save there)...
The first shop I did disable selling to on purpose, as per someone's suggestion, but this is subject to change next patch if it's just more of a hassle than anything.
Current project:
Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Update: 0.09 (4/18/12):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1640
Wiki:
http://despairlabyrinth.wikia.com
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Well, since it makes you have to wait a longer time to sell your stuff, and doesn't provide any sort of benefit in return, surely it started off as more of a hassle than anything right out of the gate ...
(?)
Lucky777

Postby StarkePT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Sync Wrote:Couple of things I've noticed in the 0.09 version, and wondered if they were deliberate:
* The two "merchants" you first come across, just before the Gargoyle room, are not available for you to sell anything - you can only Guy from them.
* When you get to the current end and use the crystal to go back to the Barracks, the ability to Save the game is disabled at that point.

The first one I think it's intended, at that point not many people realize that they can't use all the gear but some should be saved for Gwyn. Also, this shop could be abused for an insane amount of HP pots.

The second one been reported.
StarkePT

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Alright, hmmm...
TrainsRunonThyme-
Hah, nice name. But let's see. So the bundle locks up--seems to be a common problem that I'll need to fix. The primary game itself says RTP not found? And you've tried to reinstall the RTP... have you tried re-downloading it? I know it sounds strange and probably won't make that much of a diff, but it's worth trying. I know going to actually download the VX RTP nowadays takes you to Ace, which is different. The VX one in particular can be downloaded here:
http://dl.degica.com/trial/enterbrain/v ... tp102e.zip
At any rate, try it one more time after that.
Hope that works, 'cause unfortunately I'm not really the best technical support with regards to VX stuff, and I honestly can't imagine why it would fail you for this version because there really have been no fundamental changes from the last, outside of the text-skip and load functions--the rest is all storyline stuff. Otherwise, it might be a compatibility issue, hrrm.

Athenapurpose-
Yes, sure thing. Normally you would need 10 posts to send me a PM but I've sent you my own PM, so check your inbox if that's possible.

phoenyxz-
I appreciate the support as always, and hope you'll continue to stay tuned. Asella is actually my personal favorite as well, though you might never tell in terms of in-game content. I actually highly recommend playing as Thyme this patch--try to make it to the end of the demo to get her cutscene for a bit of insight into her past!
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Heal2 is where the complete package locks up for me as well. Perhaps a re-upload?
Lucky777

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby SpectralTime » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

A quick... thingummy.

I was expecting Rhiannion to say something about being a master of the lost Xali school, but she didn't. She DOES mention her father was murdered out of fear and envy... perhaps even SHE doesn't know...? Or I'm just looking too far into this...
SpectralTime

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Nah, I just think you're looking a bit far ahead. That's for the audience to find out later. >;3
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Relying on the .exe extractor that is downloaded, the situation is the same: no going past Heal2.png, because it hangs in the same place.
"C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\Iz functional Dlaby 9\Test.002" Is the volume that Winrar claims I need. ( the italics are just the name of the folder I put it in)
In the task manager it says "Extracting from Dlaby 9 with RTP" at first, but then it switches to "Extracting from Test.002" and hangs.

The extracted game .exe doesn't play.

Dunno what's up, but something ain't right.
Last edited by Lucky777 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky777

Postby SpectralTime » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Taking notes as I make my first Asella play-through since I got everyone into the chambers and decided not to do that again.

First: Asella's a weird kind of hybrid. She has the armor and health of a fighter, but the MP of a mage. On paper, she almost sounds broken, but... well, her weak attack power with both skills and physical attacks helps balance it out. It's not crippling or anything, just... well, I DID just play through with Thyme and Rhiannion, so my idea of "normal" power may be a little off. Part of the problem is that she flat out has trouble even hitting anything for a while. I'm NOT looking forward to beating up the X-man with her.

EDIT: I have now completed that fight. It went... difficult, but epically, with Asella blinded and out of MP, and Gwen finally finishing him off with standard attacks when one more good hit from any of his moves would have finished Asella. At least I got both swords in the bargain.

Second: Asella's funny. Like, Rhiannion funny, but in a different way. Like, Rhiannion's funny because she's always making fun of other people and refusing to take them seriously, while Asella's funny because she takes everything TOO seriously. I laughed out loud at her conversation with the Evil Mage Chick in the Plant Room... especially when I realized that she was making the same arguments as Rhiannion, in higher language, and quoting chapter and verse of the law to her. Looking forward to her meeting with Rhiannion later... even if I'm pretty sure it won't be as cordial as Thyme and Irine's.

Third: I was expecting her to be more of a jerk than she's ended up being.
SpectralTime

Postby sdibolcrif » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:00 pm

SpectralTime Wrote:Taking notes as I make my first Asella play-through since I got everyone into the chambers and decided not to do that again.

First: Asella's a weird kind of hybrid. She has the armor and health of a fighter, but the MP of a mage. On paper, she almost sounds broken, but... well, her weak attack power with both skills and physical attacks helps balance it out. It's not crippling or anything, just... well, I DID just play through with Thyme and Rhiannion, so my idea of "normal" power may be a little off. Part of the problem is that she flat out has trouble even hitting anything for a while. I'm NOT looking forward to beating up the X-man with her.

EDIT: I have now completed that fight. It went... difficult, but epically, with Asella blinded and out of MP, and Gwen finally finishing him off with standard attacks when one more good hit from any of his moves would have finished Asella. At least I got both swords in the bargain.

Second: Asella's funny. Like, Rhiannion funny, but in a different way. Like, Rhiannion's funny because she's always making fun of other people and refusing to take them seriously, while Asella's funny because she takes everything TOO seriously. I laughed out loud at her conversation with the Evil Mage Chick in the Plant Room... especially when I realized that she was making the same arguments as Rhiannion, in higher language, and quoting chapter and verse of the law to her. Looking forward to her meeting with Rhiannion later... even if I'm pretty sure it won't be as cordial as Thyme and Irine's.

Third: I was expecting her to be more of a jerk than she's ended up being.

Yeah I agree with you about fighting Xanrud as her... especially the second time. I had to load up on potions beforehand.

As far as her personality... for some reason she's tied with Cesca for being my favorite character. I haven't a clue why, since I didn't like her much at the very start... might just be me, but it seems like between the relationship with Gwyn and just general quest progression she starts to seem a lot less self-important (even on a high-purity, no-loss playthrough)

But yeah in general I just really like her :)

Also. Dunno if this is the way it should be, but Cesca's "Charming Wink" - it seems to, rather than targeting all enemies, like it says and like the changelog says, it seems to simply fire twice (regardless of number of enemies), picking targets at random - often selecting the same target for both. Just doesn't seem right.
Rhiannon's "Whirlwind Slice" does something similar - it's described as being good against multiple targets, but I've only ever had it select one target to attack 3 times
sdibolcrif

Postby StarkePT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:03 pm

If you guys check the walkthrough I do mention for you guys to sell all surplus gear and stock up on as many potions as you can get.
StarkePT

Postby moonblack » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Charming Wink is supposed to affect only 2 random enemies in the latest version:
-Updated Charming Wink to affect two random enemies instead of all of them
moonblack

Postby KITAmaru » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:23 am

sdibolcrif-
Yeah, actually the way the the thing works be default is different from how I imagined it; with the 'random' different enemies, it CAN choose the same one. I don't know how to get it to only hit once or whatever if there's only one enemy on screen just yet.

Lucky777-
Hmm, try this? Here's that Test.002 file which I found on my desktop for some fuckin' reason. Ugh, why does it get so complicated when I don't change a damn thing?
http://www.mediafire.com/?37zgmlle7o6a75s

Anyway, glad you guys like Asella--yeah, she's more of a tank character than an offensive one, which can make soloing a bit of a pain, though I can't really imagine what other drawbacks to give for a character who needs both high HP and MP--I think her AGI is the lowest, as well. Out of the Primary 8, I actually think that she may lack the most backstory (or maybe that's just with what I have planned, lol, all that creator's knowledge locked up), but that'll change soon.

Thyme and Rhiannon, in addition to being some of the most popular girls, are also coincidentally some of the strongest--but flavor-wise, when I think about it, they ought to be for a reason. Emilia should also be a little stronger than she is, probably because I test with her by default, but I just have to figure out how to do that, and Cesca is perhaps a little -too- strong, but eh. I think Lanie is the weakest right now despite her spells doing a lot of damage; it's probably the lack of a stun-lock that's killing her, combined with low MHP and defense. Pretty fun character though in some cases, provided you can handle the occasional fourth wall breaks.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:49 am

If I put Test.002 in the same FOLDER as the blue cube extraction .exe, then I extract from the blue cube with WINRAR, then it appears to work.

However, putting the Test.002 file in the same folder as the blue cube does not result in the blue cube's OWN double-click extraction SUCCEEDING.

It does a different thing, however, in that instead of hanging, it gives the message "Extraction failed".

Mebbe you need to include that same "Test.002" thing in the all-inclusive package?

... I really don't know. But if the all-inclusive link DOES work, and DOES unpack properly for you as it is, then I have no idea what the problem could be.
Lucky777

Postby StarkePT » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:57 am

KITAmaru Wrote:sdibolcrif-
Yeah, actually the way the the thing works be default is different from how I imagined it; with the 'random' different enemies, it CAN choose the same one. I don't know how to get it to only hit once or whatever if there's only one enemy on screen just yet.

Lucky777-
Hmm, try this? Here's that Test.002 file which I found on my desktop for some fuckin' reason. Ugh, why does it get so complicated when I don't change a damn thing?
http://www.mediafire.com/?37zgmlle7o6a75s

Anyway, glad you guys like Asella--yeah, she's more of a tank character than an offensive one, which can make soloing a bit of a pain, though I can't really imagine what other drawbacks to give for a character who needs both high HP and MP--I think her AGI is the lowest, as well. Out of the Primary 8, I actually think that she may lack the most backstory (or maybe that's just with what I have planned, lol, all that creator's knowledge locked up), but that'll change soon.

Thyme and Rhiannon, in addition to being some of the most popular girls, are also coincidentally some of the strongest--but flavor-wise, when I think about it, they ought to be for a reason. Emilia should also be a little stronger than she is, probably because I test with her by default, but I just have to figure out how to do that, and Cesca is perhaps a little -too- strong, but eh. I think Lanie is the weakest right now despite her spells doing a lot of damage; it's probably the lack of a stun-lock that's killing her, combined with low MHP and defense. Pretty fun character though in some cases, provided you can handle the occasional fourth wall breaks.

Lanie has the highest damage of all 8 by having high base damage stat plus covering a lot of weaknesses, therefore she can easily farm enemies for EXP faster and with less effort mitigating the stat problem at least for now. Might become an issue when/if she reaches the level cap (which from 15 onwards only raises stats since she doesn't learn more spells).

IIRC correctly with decent prep and not that high of a level (7-9), she can hit Xanrud for 1K+ damage a pop lol.
StarkePT

Postby Crossbow1701 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 am

Is the save problem still happening or did that get fixed?
Crossbow1701

Postby SpectralTime » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:23 am

Personally, I don't really mind Asella, once I realized that she was the ONLY character in the game to get access to both decent physical and magical attacks, making her VERY difficult for, say, the X-meister to lock down. Once her AGI's high enough that she can reliably hit things, and once she's bought enough potions for Gwen to toss her when she's in trouble, she'll get by just fine.

She'd REALLY like Thyme's potion buff... but, then again, who wouldn't?
SpectralTime

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner