[HTML] The Arcade (Twine)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

[HTML] The Arcade (Twine)

Postby Elerneron » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi,

I'm Elerneron, and I'm making a game . . . again. This game will be a predominately text based adventure / roleplaying game set in the world of the movie Wreck-it Ralph. In this game, you will find yourself transported into the gameworlds of the arcade. You will get to interact with game sprites, gain powerful abilities, and even change the nature of yourself and the gameworlds by manipulating the code.

This game is made in Twine with the SugarCube header. It is, however, much more complex than your average Twine game. It is more than a story with choices, it is a full on game.

The majority of the coding is complete. All I have to finish is the conflict system, and it will be ready for content. The game is complete until just after character creation.

Anyone who wants to mess around with things should feel free to download the game. Please give me your impressions. The majority of the game can be seen by using the debug menu. It will be hidden later, but for now it can be accessed by clicking on one of the bugs on either side of the build version, which is just under the title.

Thanks, and here's a link to the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww1c2omdx5o4qdv/Arcade.zip?dl=0

Change Log:
  • Content Filter in and functioning. Be sure to change the settings to your liking.
  • Conditions now decrement each turn.
  • Introduction partially complete for characters aged 12 or less. (Make sure you set the AOC in the Content Filter to 12 or less to be able to view it.)
Last edited by Elerneron on Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elerneron

Re: [HTML] The Arcade (Twine)

Postby BinaryHedgehog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Slight problemo... the link returned a 404.
Pervy, perv, perv!
BinaryHedgehog

Postby Elerneron » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 pm

BinaryHedgehog Wrote:Slight problemo... the link returned a 404.

Well, that was weird. My copy-pasta didn't copy right. Should be fine now.
Elerneron

Postby Gamera2000 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:22 am

Getting the following error message when attempting to run: Error: the passage "Introduction 01" does not exist.
Gamera2000
Newly Registered

Postby Scottyboy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:36 am

Is there anything beyond the character creation yet?
Scottyboy

Postby RagingRapids92 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:51 pm

No, it's just character creation so far. The rest has yet to be written.
RagingRapids92
Newly Registered

Postby rakgi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

I will just follow your game here rather than "over there" :D!
rakgi

Postby Elerneron » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Gamera2000 Wrote:Getting the following error message when attempting to run: Error: the passage "Introduction 01" does not exist.

That's my fault for leaving an open link in the game. I'll be trying to avoid that in the future. That is where the game ends currently.

Scottyboy Wrote:Is there anything beyond the character creation yet?

RagingRapids92 Wrote:No, it's just character creation so far. The rest has yet to be written.

What RagingRapids92 said, but bear in mind that I have done a lot of coding in the background. Other than content there is only one thing left to code in the game, and that is the conflict system. New powers, skills, items, and content can be added easily with minimal coding because of the work I've put in so far. If you want to see a bit more, play around with the debug menu. You can access the debug menu by clicking on one of the bugs to either side of the build version number just under the title.

rakgi Wrote:I will just follow your game here rather than "over there" :D!

That works for me . . . it's going a little crazy over there. I wonder if I'll be burned at the stake . . . maybe just banned even though I broke no forum rules.
Elerneron

Postby rakgi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:14 am

Ya I hate when admins cry foul and call up a different set of rules for things they don't like. Either stick to your rules you have or toss them all out. I can't wait to see how the game goes from this point on... as long as you don't walk away from it.
rakgi

Postby Nagashofchaos » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Hello ELerneron, see you got another project started.
No serious bugs that I can tell.
Though I'm a bit curious (I guess that's the word) that all ages have the same amount of points to allocate. Also there are quite a lot of ages there that will need text (perhaps in next project not having so many, thus able to delve more deeply into smaller selection of options)
Anyway good to see you're alive and I look forward to what this project produces (already producing what appears to be a nice user interface)
Nagashofchaos
Newly Registered

Postby Wonderful Hawk » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:32 am

Nagashofchaos Wrote:Though I'm a bit curious (I guess that's the word) that all ages have the same amount of points to allocate. Also there are quite a lot of ages there that will need text (perhaps in next project not having so many, thus able to delve more deeply into smaller selection of options)

What? No, the ages all have different points. Character points are 50 plus age. Not entirely sure how skill points work. And the text age looks to be divided into six age groups for the text, so there's actually not a whole lot of alterations that'll need to be made. I expect it'd only be a line or two in the occasional text block anyways, not really biting off more than can be chewed. Not really sure where you got any of that....
Wonderful Hawk

Postby Elerneron » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 am

Nagashofchaos Wrote:Hello ELerneron, see you got another project started.
No serious bugs that I can tell.
Though I'm a bit curious (I guess that's the word) that all ages have the same amount of points to allocate. Also there are quite a lot of ages there that will need text (perhaps in next project not having so many, thus able to delve more deeply into smaller selection of options)
Anyway good to see you're alive and I look forward to what this project produces (already producing what appears to be a nice user interface)

Wonderful Hawk got the points right. Its 50 attribute points with a bonus equal to the age of the character. There is an initial limit of 30 on all attributes, but this is only for character creation. I could make the limit dependent upon age, but I don't think that's really necessary. The ages give me a variety of ranges to vary the story. I'll group them as I need to for any particular part. For instance for one part of the story I may group them into 6 to 12, 13 to 18, 19 to 30 and 30+, then for another part of the story I might just group them into 6 to 18 and 19+ . . . see how that works? It's very versatile.

The ages are also very important because different people are okay with sexual content for a different range of ages. With the next version you will be able to choose the youngest a character can be to have sexual content show. This will be set at 18, but can be lowered if the reader is comfortable with a younger minimum range. Once you have selected an age you won't be able to make a younger character . . . if you make a young character then set the age higher later . . . oops, no sex scenes for you . . . unless you have aged your body and mind that is (or change the settings back).

Wonderful Hawk Wrote:
Nagashofchaos Wrote:Though I'm a bit curious (I guess that's the word) that all ages have the same amount of points to allocate. Also there are quite a lot of ages there that will need text (perhaps in next project not having so many, thus able to delve more deeply into smaller selection of options)

What? No, the ages all have different points. Character points are 50 plus age. Not entirely sure how skill points work. And the text age looks to be divided into six age groups for the text, so there's actually not a whole lot of alterations that'll need to be made. I expect it'd only be a line or two in the occasional text block anyways, not really biting off more than can be chewed. Not really sure where you got any of that....

If you're curious skill points work as follows:

Initial Skill Points: 50
Age Bonus: Age / 3 rounded * 5
Graduated Technical College (requires age 20+): + 40 skill points
Bachelor's Degree (requires age 22+): + 80 skill points
Master's Degree (requires age 24+): + 120 skill points
Doctorate (requires age 28+): +160 skill points

Additionally each skill that you acquire through creation starts at level 5 automatically . . . so that's kind of like an additional 5 skill points for each skill that you unlock.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 am

rakgi Wrote:I will just follow your game here rather than "over there" :D!

Man I am getting a barrage of PMs over at TFGamesSite asking where I'm posting my games since they will no longer be there. Wow . . . despite the vocal minority that gave me problems I think a lot of the members there wanted to see my work . . . makes me feel good.
Elerneron

Postby rakgi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:57 am

It's because what they saw looked great. They have confidence that it could turn out great, it sucks that the mods cry when a few people pout but the rest don't even care they just want to see what makers can come up with and experience new things. But, that mod already had it in for you (mod=single parent)as he or she said in that last post before all the stuff got deleted. I'm just glad people here are mature and understand and read that they didn't have to see the content they didn't like with the options you would put like in taboo.
rakgi

Postby Elerneron » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 pm

rakgi Wrote:It's because what they saw looked great. They have confidence that it could turn out great, it sucks that the mods cry when a few people pout but the rest don't even care they just want to see what makers can come up with and experience new things. But, that mod already had it in for you (mod=single parent)as he or she said in that last post before all the stuff got deleted. I'm just glad people here are mature and understand and read that they didn't have to see the content they didn't like with the options you would put like in taboo.

I don't really have a problem with Lashek at all. He (or she) was very understanding and discussed things in a calm, rational manner when we originally talked about these things over a year ago. AFAIK it's Lashek's site, it was nice that he was willing to let the file be on the site despite not liking its nature personally. Unfortunately people complaining were causing him too many headaches . . . their loss.
Elerneron

Postby FMC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Hm... The age range and gender I chose doesn't have anything yet, but I can already tell you I'm going to love this because of all the customization you can do to yourself. I love games like that; it's why Morrowind was my favourite Elder Scrolls game (other than the fact it plops you down with a vague objective and says 'have fun' -- doesn't even tell you how to get there unless you ask or anything, and that you had such a large area to explore that felt... like you were actually exploring something foreign), even with the weird combat.

Anyway, point is, I'm going to watch this game like a hawk. Your games tend to make me do that, since they show such promise. Don't disappoint me! :P Which you can only really do if you don't finish this thing this time! xD
FMC

Postby rakgi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 pm

"the other place" strikes again with a new game on there Universal Spy. Main character was 17 and they threw a fit until the author caved and made the character 18 -_- Anywho, how is the game coming along? :D
rakgi

Postby BinaryHedgehog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm falling behind, been busy, mostly.
Pervy, perv, perv!
BinaryHedgehog

Postby Elerneron » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

New version is up. Not much new in this one, I've been kind of busy recently. See the change log in the OP for details.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey folks. I'd like to advertise for a writing partner for the game. I haven't had much time for writing recently, and what little time I do have I would like to dedicate to coding the conflict engine so that the core of the game is complete. It goes without saying that skill in writing is important, also a perspective partner needs to be familiar with the movie Wreck-it-Ralph. It is also preferable that they be as open as possible on the types of content that they are willing to write about. This will be a true partnership, and the partner would have a lot of say on what get's written . . . though I'll provide suggestions and guidance when it is needed. I'll still be writing some parts of the quests, but until I finish coding the game it would be nice to get some content out to the users.
Elerneron

Next

Return to Creative Corner