I'd like to start a game base on my Poke'mon Fanfic

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

I'd like to start a game base on my Poke'mon Fanfic

Postby Huricane887 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:06 am

I can make up a dialogue for the parts that aren't explained,all I need is someone who can make sprites,and and someone who can program it.I'll post it so you can see if you could help make it into a game. http://huricane887.deviantart.com/art/P ... -468277086

Please let me know what ya think of the basic story so far and if you'd be able to help turn it into an actual game.Any help would be appreciated.
Huricane887

Re: I'd like to start a game base on my Poke'mon Fanfic

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:43 am

Sorry i'm going to an ass for just a second but why should i or anyone help you with making a game if the only skill you bring is writing which is the one of the most common skill set on this forum with no pretense of expanding your skill set.
Also your grammatical mistake doesn't help.
It's good you have something to show but you need to get my trust and passion for me and people like me to join you.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Huricane887 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:10 am

How would I go about doing that?I'm not really up to date with this advance technical stuff which is why i'm unable to do any more than story writing.Also even in official Poke'mon games there are plenty of grammatical errors so i don't see why that would be a problem as long as the game is fun and people get the idea of what is being said.It would also be something new in the Poke'mon fan games that others may find interesting.I will correct grammatical mistakes and review the game for bugs and log them so that they could be corrected.As I said above i have no computer skills and that is because i'm not really good at math and coding.I am relatively below average when it comes to computers but i promise i will put in my best efforts to make a great script,since reading and writing(story wise) are my strengths.I want this to be made into a game because i feel it has potential.I understand it is very hard work making the sprites and actual gameplay,but if i had some help making it i'd be very grateful for it.As a novice all i can give is my gratitude in return.If i was more skilled in more fields i would find some other way to show my thanks.If you noir anyone else wants to help then that is understood and reasonable.Just wanted this game out there as atleast an idea to entertain and perhaps inspire readers with their own new ideas based on a similar concept.
Huricane887

Postby dndman997 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 am

Just ignore him huricane. Blue seems to get up on the wrong side of the bed everyday and doesnt realize he too makes grammar mistakes. I would help if i knew how to make sprites i would definitely help, but i can always listen to some more of your ideas and give you a good opinion on it or not and i would be happy to play test when it does get started :)

TO BLUE: stop being an ass to people and start being more supportive and helpful of others.
dndman997

Postby Huricane887 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks dndman997 and it is ok what BlueLight said.They were trying to give constructive criticism.I will get started on more story when i know for sure that i have enough help to make the game.I'm gonna try to make a sketch of the main villain and then post it here if it turns out good enough.With a sketch of the new characters,it'd make it easier for whoever makes sprites to know what they are working with.I'd like the game to be multiple ending if possible.The other options that weren't chosen in the story could be chosen in the game and the option where the main character wishes to return home would also bring his Poke'mon with him to the real world and he would go on mini-quests around the block,like showing off his Poke'mon to his other friends while his best friend is still dead.The other option could be a joke ending to lighten up the dark tone abit.
Huricane887

Postby dndman997 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:02 am

those would be nifty, players typically like multiple endings cuz it gives them something to strive to keep playing for.
dndman997

Postby Huricane887 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:26 am

That's the idea. :D Any suggestions on what you think the joke ending should be?

I know this drawing of mine ain't the best but it should be enough to give a general idea what he looks like.

http://huricane887.deviantart.com/art/Suolton-469568649?ga_submit_new=10%253A1405913062
Huricane887

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 am

How would I go about doing that?I'm not really up to date with this advance technical stuff which is why I’m unable to do any more than story writing.

Here is the thing; by how you talk, I person doubt you want to even try(however by how you talk, you might have already tried coding). If I was to ask you to make a super simple web page, I think you'd give the above answer. Just to clarify by simple all I mean is a file which if you run from a browser like firefox, and has some text.
Code: Select All Code
<HTML>
<BODY>
Hello nurse!
</BODY>
</HTML>

The above is advance technical stuff I learn as a kid and barely ever used. I didn't look at any resources and it ran. I bet if you looked up something like “tutorials on making website” using google, you'll be doing more advance stuff than that in a day. By saying “advance technical stuff” I feel you're just trying to dodge the criticism and not really facing it head on. Now programming and art isn't for everyone. They aren't things easily master (if that's even possible) but the unwillingness to try bugs me. As a programmer I to do my own art and while I can say some goals or projects just can't be done because I don't have the skill, I at least attempt to create my own content. This icon, it looks horrible because I’m bad at art but I still made it.
Basic speaker icon.png
Basic speaker icon.png (233 Bytes) Viewed 3704 times

Also even in official Pokemon games there are plenty of grammatical errors so i don't see why that would be a problem as long as the game is fun and people get the idea of what is being said.

Let's skip the first part about the Pokemon games, and return later.
Why is it not a problem if there are spelling or grammatical errors so long as the game is 'fun'? The state of something being fun should not be dictating if there are problems. If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. Writing error filled text for your game should not be good enough. While in every art there are going to be mistakes, you should still try to minimizes them whenever possible.

A English teacher once told me he was on some site like CNN where he was reading an article about if women should be able to fight in the army. One commenter brought up the point that women “abilitys” are the same as men. Suddenly this well thought out argument looks stupid because he couldn't spell “abilities” correctly. Why do I bring this up? Because people will remember your game for it's text; the question is, do you want them to remember it because it was good or because they kept finding errors in it. Look at DnD. He's bring up the fact that I have grammatical errors all over the forum and he's right. What he's talking about is not inability to use proper grammar but utter laziness to double check what I write. I normally don't have a huge problem with others spelling errors so long as I can understand them; however on this thread, you should be showing off your writing ability by triple checking everything you say. This thread is your resume to the forums, but if you can't care enough to check this, then why would you double check text in your own game? The same with your story! I was finding grammatical errors that I believe can be fixed with a simple read through.

Now back to Nintendo.
To be frank, they should be QA testing a game so that doesn't happen. The fact that it's on Nintendo consoles should increase the standards greatly. I don't know what the last pocket monster game I played was but I believe it was for the Game boy advance so I don't remember these errors.

Also, why is being just as good as Pokemon alright with you when you can do better in this small area? Sure you can't beat their army of artist nor could you make bigger maps then their army of mappers but writing, I'd hope your goal is to be better if at all possible.

I should point out that Pocket monster is a Japanese game not an English thus grammar has a good reason for being wonky at times.

にほんごをべんきょうましょう。 or 日本語を勉強ましょう。
Literal translation is “Japanese, study, let's.” but even that isn't correct since you aren't getting the meaning of the particles in there.

Your game I assume, is not being translated into English but written in it.
It would also be something new in the Pokemon fan games that others may find interesting.I will correct grammatical mistakes and review the game for bugs and log them so that they could be corrected.
I have nothing to say for this.

As I said above i have no computer skills and that is because I’m not really good at math and coding.I am relatively below average when it comes to computers but i promise i will put in my best efforts to make a great script,since reading and writing(story wise) are my strengths.

I don't understand what you mean by “ no computer skills” or do you mean something like technical skills? When I think computer skills I think basic operation. I'm fairly sure the most common math problem programmers face is I + 1. That is not to say Math isn't required but you can get fairly far with just a basic understanding. Not joking!
I want this to be made into a game because i feel it has potential.I understand it is very hard work making the sprites and actual game play,but if i had some help making it I’d be very grateful for it.As a novice all i can give is my gratitude in return.
I have nothing worth saying here.

If i was more skilled in more fields i would find some other way to show my thanks.

I personally think if you make an attempt at programming, you'll be able to get more people to help (programmers included) because you have the enough drive to learn something required to make the game a reality.

It's still very possible people will help you out in this forum on all fronts; even programming and music.
If you noir anyone else wants to help then that is understood and reasonable.Just wanted this game out there as at least an idea to entertain and perhaps inspire readers with their own new ideas based on a similar concept.
I think I said what I had to say. Well good luck, I wish you well and no ill will. I likely wont be replying here for some while unless you have a counter argument(s) to mine.

Before I go I want to give (force >_> ) some criticism of your story. Anything below this point hasn't been double checked.

To start off with this is personal taste but I don't enjoy the found footage angle. I understand how the story was written it was kinda required, but it kinda wasn't at the same time. For instances this “real event” has a problem figuring out who's telling the story. This is a story told by you, after a friend told you; so why is it in the first person? The story starts off with you talking about yourself and your environment. then you called your friend john.... who is also you! So wait did your friend who tell you this story call you in said story and the story your telling me is a word for word retelling of the story told to you which your in.... * HEAD EXPLODES * why did your friend tell you this story again if you already knew the events that took place?

The periods man! Okay you had this habit of completing a sentience, hitting period followed by writing another word. Something as simple as open office will show you every spot where you do this. Not really a grammatical or spelling mistake, but it looks sloppy.

Does it play on the DS or the Wii.... oh! You have a modified Wii... * grumble grumble * okay so this is a minor grip but it seems like you can't decide what console you want this thing to run on. This is enforced by the fact you I don't think you ever directly tell us what system this game is for, thus we have to guess by what the characters are saying and that you only tell us when it's no long import that you have a modify Wii. This is a problem because it confuses the reader and it seems like your contradicting yourself.

The blood on the mirror... so I haven't completely read this and it's late enough that I plan to goto bed, but unless that message is talking about something that happens later in the story, it's completely nonsensical. I got the impression that the message was talking about current events and if i'm not mistake; that game was given to you.

Okay so you load the game and it looks like a portal which john thought was cool which is you. See this just sounds like your going from first person to third person. See now if you had said “I was taken by fear but, as a looked over at john, he had the opposite reaction.” it would have allowed you to tell a story in first person that isn't about you while not sounding like you're talking about your self in the third person..... that was very convoluted.

After this point.... who's billy again? I know you said he was your friend but he hasn't introduced.... wait.... BILLY TOLD YOU THE STORY!!!.... oh it all makes sense. We started the story with billy point of view but once you entered the game, we took your point of view. This still don't explain why it was first person. Now that this has been cleared up, i'm fairly sure this sentice makes no licking sense.
.After that I haven't heard from Billy since.
maybe “ever since” but if that was the case..... then when was billy introduced?

Tell us that you captured XY&Z really isn't fun from a reader prospective. Since I really can't name many of the pokemon I don't know what these creatures are. Something a someone in the comic book industry said was “every comic book is someone's first”; but more to the point; you should be telling us about the events that happened not the result. What was your first battle with a pokemon like? Were you scare? Did he look scarier in person than in the game? Did he look the same? What does it look like? Did it try to direct you attack you? How did you control your Pokemon?
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Huricane887 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Firts off "the pot is calling the kettle black."

Second,english is kinda tough to write in especially when you try learning different languages.All of the word placing in the different languages compared to english word placing kinda confuses ya after awhile.It's tough to explain to someone who hasn't been in a similar situation before.That coding example of yours may be "easy to understand" but that is because you already know how to do it.We don't all know how to code ya know?I would double check text in the game because people play it,I don't double check text when i type in a conversation because it is a casual conversation,if it was a formal conversation then i'd double check what i type and try to correct it to the best of my abilities.I used to be better at grammar and spelling,but it has been a long time since i was in school and i kinda forgot some things since they weren't basic enough to continue to be used to remember them easier.By no computers skills i thought it'd be implied that it meant what i said above about the coding type stuff.I may not have done it before,but i do know it requires alot more advance math than simple addition.It requires algorithm and binary to name a few things.Both of which i don't understand at all.I'm pretty sure I have more "drive" than you think on making this game.It may not have been conveyed well,but it's there between the lines.Of course not all of us are able to properly convey how we feel,so it may have seemed dull to you and a few other people reading it and for that i am sorry you didn't feel what i was trying to have the reader feel when i wrote the story.

Lastly,the story starts off from John's perspective and he retells what his friend Billy told him up until the point they are taken into the game.Since Billy wasn't able to tell John anymore about what happened,John starts recapping what happened with him in the game until the end of the story.There are plenty of other people's stories who do this effect and they are more popular for it.It helps add to the creepy atmosphere of the story for dramatic effect.I am not talking about myself in this story,It is John talking in first person in the story.I hope you understand this story ain't real,it is a creepy pastaish story that is started off first person because that's how creepy pastas are written.The other things in the story that didn't have much detail about them were intentionally left that way so they could be further explained if the player chose to when the game is made.It doesn't make sense to completely spoil a game before it's made.If you read more closely,the game was a trap and couldn't be returned once it was picked up.I will explain further on this matter if the game is to be made otherwise i will make a second story if this has no help being made after awhile.If you haven't played the new Poke'mon games than you shouldn't be reading this story.Thanks for mentioning that,I will put a disclaimer on the story so that new readers won't get confused.So you technically helped out and it was nice of you and very much appreciated.Hope you have a great day and that we may be friends some day.
Huricane887

Postby Darthan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 am

The first problem I see here is that as BlueLight said you are asking for help to make a game with your only viable skill being writing. If you look at the Discussion subforum, which is where this really should be, you will find allot of threads that are pretty much what your's right here is.

Second, there are several game creation systems that require little or no knowledge of coding to use and be able to create games. If you want to create a game you should look into some of those systems and see if they would be something you could use.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, but your opening post comes across as "I want you to make a game for me and I will give you the story." I have yet to see anything come of any game thread where the creator wants to make a game but doesn't have any skill other than writing.

Most of the people here that can code are working on their own projects or want to work o projects that have more than just writing as the available skillset. I would once again advise you to look into some of the game making programs and start there.
Darthan

Postby VintageBass » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 am

I'm... also with BlueLight and Darthan on this. Heck even I have my own ideas for some Pokemon games and I know I'll need help with it, but when your only thing to contribute is writing, it's going to cut it. I know how to edit sprites, but not very good. I know the very BASIC of HTML, which what Blue showed is easy to do (even if you saying "well you learned that!" also applies to me since I did learn in school doesn't work either way). I know where my strengths are, but I can still try in making stuff, like coming up with a user interface for a game I'm working on. I know it's going to be a lot of work going into adapting a game based on fiction, but things aren't going to work when you are handing over your story and expect them to work off of it... and also try to figure out what you mean.

Just take our advice and look into options into what you want to do with this. There are plenty of things to do, and see what can be the easiest for you to do. And then we'll see about helping.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Void Director » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 am

First there seem to be quite a few Pokemon engines in existence I suggest you google them before trying to get a custom engine written. Several of them seem to be based around RPG maker and others are in Java.

If you want to make a game with writing being your only skill it had better be a very text intensive game. Pokemon is anything but text intensive. For comparative purposes writing a non trivial game engine is probably about as much work as writing a short novel. Writing a few pages of text does not demonstrate the equivalent amount of dedication you are requesting from your programmer.
Void Director

Return to Creative Corner