[HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Abandoned

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Who's storylines are you interested in (check all that apply)?

Michael
7%
Rachael
13%
Amber
15%
Darian
5%
Melody
17%
Alex
6%
Jack
4%
Paige
13%
Lilly
20%

Total votes : 254

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 30 May 2014

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 31, 2014 4:20 am

Oh, and a quick note to people who might want to know a secret about Harmony (that isn't really a secret) play through with teen sex turned off. Breaking down walls LOL.
Elerneron

Postby FMC » Sat May 31, 2014 5:56 am

Can't wait for the next update, each time you do. xD It's a good project.

Also, you should totally make Harmony more deadpool-like in the wall breaking. That'd be fun.
FMC

Postby Nekomatic » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:27 am

The concept was pretty new and very alluring so far.
Can't wait to see more on this, looks really good as of yet.
Nekomatic

Postby Elerneron » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 am

FMC Wrote:Can't wait for the next update, each time you do. xD It's a good project.

Also, you should totally make Harmony more deadpool-like in the wall breaking. That'd be fun.

Oh, she'll occasionally break the fourth wall, but I don't want it to be a constant thing. Glad you like the project!

Nekomatic Wrote:The concept was pretty new and very alluring so far.
Can't wait to see more on this, looks really good as of yet.

Thanks! I'm hard at work on the next update.

Hopefully I can have a more productive week (story-wise) now that a lot of the mechanics are taken care of. I have been considering whether or not I should look for a writing partner or two, as the project is rather large, but I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Pros
  • It would speed up the development of the stories.
  • Scenes that I would not write as well because of lack of interest might be better if I find someone who is actually interested in them.
  • Collaboration often fuels creativity.
  • Two eyes are better than one finding typos and errors.
  • Stories are in the earliest stages of planning, so are very flexible right now.
Cons
  • Finding a partner or partners whose style matches my own might be challenging. (This can be mitigated by assigning entire stories to one specific writer, and having them write the majority of that story with full editorial control of the other writer's contributions to that story.)
  • Finding someone willing to write about the more taboo fetishes will be difficult. (Even remembering to add options for others to spring from might be a problem.)
  • Finding a writer who would be comfortable writing in someone else's story may be challenging.
  • Collaboration can lead to conflict.

I'm still up in the air about it. I would like the game to grow faster, but I don't want to do anything that might derail the project. More coding needs are likely to crop up as I go, especially when I start a new story, and at those times the story will be light. Most people are a lot more squeamish than I am and might not want to be associated with a project as taboo as Taboo Valley is. So if anyone has suggestions or comments on the idea, please feel free to air them, it might help me decide on whether to open myself to a team developed game or to keep this a one man show, as it were.
Elerneron

Re: [HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Update 30 May 2014

Postby Tsundere » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Maybe you should try to do like games such as CoC did : let the partners come to you. As long as you let people know that you are willing to let them contribute if they're motivated enough, and if their style matches yours, you should have an easier time than going around asking for people that might refuse. Seeing the unusual stuff going on in your project, i think it would be easier that way for you to find people that are really serious and motivated about helping you.

And by the way, like some other people here, i'm really enjoying your work so far, can't wait to see what you may release for other characters too. You even managed to make me stop lurking and create an account.
Tsundere
Newly Registered

Postby bigdick69 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:23 pm

it is really nice, one advice to you don't make a game like coc with too many shape shifting and too many things, make it simple with hot scenes and a nice plot
bigdick69

Postby Elerneron » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 am

Tsundere Wrote:Maybe you should try to do like games such as CoC did : let the partners come to you. As long as you let people know that you are willing to let them contribute if they're motivated enough, and if their style matches yours, you should have an easier time than going around asking for people that might refuse. Seeing the unusual stuff going on in your project, i think it would be easier that way for you to find people that are really serious and motivated about helping you.

I'll keep that in mind, but I think at this point I would rather have a partner than a bunch of contributors . . . that is if I even seek help with the writing. I would want someone who was invested in the project, rather than someone just doing a "one off".

Tsundere Wrote:And by the way, like some other people here, i'm really enjoying your work so far, can't wait to see what you may release for other characters too. You even managed to make me stop lurking and create an account.

Thanks! It's always great to hear that you de-lurked someone ^_^

bigdick69 Wrote:it is really nice, one advice to you don't make a game like coc with too many shape shifting and too many things, make it simple with hot scenes and a nice plot

Don't worry my friend, COCs transformations are WAY more complex than I want to get in this game. I'll be keeping it simple.

Speaking of transformations . . . everyone should prepare themselves for a dry spell at some point in the future when I tackle coding transformations in. It could be a little complex.
Elerneron

Postby Tsundere » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:02 am

Elerneron Wrote:
Tsundere Wrote:Maybe you should try to do like games such as CoC did : let the partners come to you. As long as you let people know that you are willing to let them contribute if they're motivated enough, and if their style matches yours, you should have an easier time than going around asking for people that might refuse. Seeing the unusual stuff going on in your project, i think it would be easier that way for you to find people that are really serious and motivated about helping you.

I'll keep that in mind, but I think at this point I would rather have a partner than a bunch of contributors . . . that is if I even seek help with the writing. I would want someone who was invested in the project, rather than someone just doing a "one off".

I was actually talking about real partners, not just contributors. You already got quite some people hooked to your game, i'd be surprised if there isn't at least one that wished to contribute on a long term basis.
Tsundere
Newly Registered

Postby Frurose » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 am

Elerneron,
I tried out your game and so far, I think you have a great start. I'm looking forward to watching this develop. Great writing, and your interface really got my attention.
I think the character cards and how you use them is just perfect.
I played my first Twine game about three weeks ago and had decided to try writing a small game. I have some basic coding skills and can muddle through.
Then I found this game over the weekend and after getting a look at your submission, I wonder if I could see how you make that interface. Would it be possible to see a code snippet, or the source?
Frurose

Postby Keegan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:46 am

I touch a look at the game looks like a lot of fun.. Look forward to see more of it once ready. Oh, and also I am lurking still while I am busy with java classes. sooo. " Dose a ninja vanish"
Keegan

Postby Elerneron » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:09 am

Frurose Wrote:Elerneron,
I tried out your game and so far, I think you have a great start. I'm looking forward to watching this develop. Great writing, and your interface really got my attention.
I think the character cards and how you use them is just perfect.
I played my first Twine game about three weeks ago and had decided to try writing a small game. I have some basic coding skills and can muddle through.
Then I found this game over the weekend and after getting a look at your submission, I wonder if I could see how you make that interface. Would it be possible to see a code snippet, or the source?

Well, if you want to wade through my messy, nearly undocumented code, I'm not going to stand in your way. I have the .tws broken down into parts and use a StoryIncludes passage to link them all together.

Taboo_Valley_Base or Mirror contains most of the code, and is the springboard for all the other Pieces. It is the only one I build the html from.
Taboo_Valley_GUI or Mirror contains most of the GUI images that I use in the game.
Taboo_Valley_Michael or Mirror Contains Michael's Story and it's code.
Taboo_Valley_Melody or Mirror Contains Melody's Story and it's code.

If you need any help feel free to add me to Skype (Elerneron . . . ) or PM me or email me at the address (My User Name) at gmail dot com where My User Name is the name I use on this Forum and Skype (as well as just about everywhere else on the internet.)

A lot of stuff would probably be simpler using Arrays . . . but they have changed a lot since I learned Basic programming in the late 80's so I didn't end up using them.

Edit: A lot of my GUI is the clever use of Images and the naming of the image files.
Edit 2: Merged Characters back into Base and Melody Research back into Melody
Last edited by Elerneron on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

If you already downloaded the source files, you might want to re-download them, I just changed from Sugarcane to SugarCube for my headers, and was therefore able to clean up some spare passages due to SugarCube's extra versatility. This mainly affects the content filter code. Sugarcane doesn't let you pass variables with an image link, SugarCube does . . . my workaround involved two extra passages for every filter, and now I don't have to have them anymore ^_^
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 am

Okay, screwed up the Mediafire links (you might have gotten the old files instead of the new one, I thought I overwrote the files but Mediafire just renamed the new ones) fixed now. I also re-merged some of the files . . . please re-download.

Edit: (This is for the source files above, not the game itself.)
Elerneron

Postby FMC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:29 am

Can't wait to see more of Melody's path... especially if you decide to play along with Harmony's assertiveness. :P
FMC

Postby Elerneron » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 pm

FMC Wrote:Can't wait to see more of Melody's path... especially if you decide to play along with Harmony's assertiveness. :P

Didn't quite get to that one. I'll have it out by Friday though. You can see Melody go all Dom on Harmony though . . .

New version for my Wednesday release. Only 3 of the 5 new passages expand on the open options in the Melody story. The other two are 1) setup to let you know about Melody, and 2) game information on how Melody's story differs from standard game play. Most of my time this first half of the week has been utilized moving to the SugarCube header, upgrading to Twine 1.4.2, and upgrading and cleaning my code based on those changes.
Elerneron

Re: [HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Update 04 June 2014

Postby Elerneron » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 pm

I have decided to start looking for a writing partner or two. If anyone is interested in helping by writing for this project, here is what I’m looking for:

• A firm grasp of the English language. If you don’t know the difference between an adjective and an adverb we probably won’t work well together.
  • Intimately familiar with western culture, preferably American, Canadian, or British. Writing material for an unfamiliar culture is never a good idea. I can overlook this one in a pinch, but if I need to constantly deal with culture clash it could slow things down (or more correctly not speed them up as much).
  • A good sense of humor. The style of this game boils down to the adjective “witty”. Without wit there is only drama. Drama is good, but you have to break it up with a chuckle now and then.
  • A high tolerance for other people’s kinks. I’m not going to ask you to write something you aren’t interested in, but you have to at least consider what other people might want to see in the story. I’m writing this story to cover a lot of “untouchable” material, as it can be hard to find (I know, having a few untouchable fetishes myself). Basically as long as you aren’t preachy about the things you don’t like we’ll get along fine.
  • If you are interested in writing about some of the fetishes that I have no interest in, that’s a plus too. Of the currently featured content these are: Male on Male scenes, Rape, BDSM, and Scat. If you are interested in other fetishes that I just don’t think I can write for it would mean that it could make it into the game. To name a few: Vore, Guro, and Snuff have a following that I don’t think I can write for very well.
  • An ability to take criticism and either self-edit your work, or allow me to edit your work. I personally thrive on criticism, but I do understand that some people do not take criticism of their work very well. My criticism will be constructive, but it will be present.

So anyway if you are interested in working on this project with me, here is what I would like. I am uploading the current version of the game, choose one of the dead-end options from either story and write a scene based on it. If it’s a conflict scene you can write either a success or failure (your choice). Get that to me by whatever means you feel most comfortable with. You can PM me, Hit me up on Skype (Elerneron . . .) or email me at (My User Name) at gmail dot com where My User Name is the name I use on the forums (and just about everywhere else on the internet). I’m cool with text files, MS Word files, HTML, pdf, you know most formats. If you could also include fetishes / ages of character that you are or are not willing to write for I would appreciate it.

Hopefully I can find a partner or two (maybe even a friend or two?) to help me get the content out to you folks faster. Don’t worry I won’t sacrifice quality for speed. If I don’t find a partner right away, that’s no big deal either as I’ll just keep trudging along myself.
Elerneron

Postby moonblack » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Major bugs in the new version:

On Michael's path when you get to this part:
"Oh wow, where did the time go," she says as she beings to gather her things.

Time to go home.
I think I am going to need that drink.
Why drink alone when Brad is right here?
Or maybe it would be better to get to know Jenny over a drink?

Pick the last option. On the next page there are two issues:
Jenny][DescJenny]Paddy][DescPaddy]Emily][DescEmily]

That's at the top of page"

And at the bottom of page, where the options are:
"Don't let me keep you, Emily," you say. Then turning back to Jenny you say, "She seems like a nice girl. Now where were we?"
Error: macro <<ChrCountUp>> does not exist
Have your drink together.
Flirt with Jenny.
Flirt with Emily.

Emphasis mine. The issues continue on a few more pages

There was also a problem with the content filter, but after a few restarts and playing with Michael it seems to have fixed itself.

EDIT: Spoke too soon:
"If I might offer an insight," says Harmony, "you could always ignore them since the player has teen sex turned off in the content filter, and therefore teens in this reality never do anything remotely sexual."

The only thing I have turned off is Gay Activity. But even with everything turned "on" I still get that.

EDIT2: If I want something to be "on" I have to go to the content filter, turn it "off" and then turn it back "on".
moonblack

Postby Elerneron » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:09 pm

moonblack Wrote:Major bugs in the new version:

Thanks for the report. I made a big mistake and failed to go over the Michael code after changing to SugarCube . . . which explains everything except the content filter. As I understand it, there is a problem with the vanilla Twine and the <<remember>> function (which I use to store the content filter information between sessions), but that shouldn't affect my game since I am using the SugarCube header. There is a good chance that the variables were messed up from the last build, and toggling them may have fixed the error. The code that shows you whether the filter is on or off is the same code I use to hide or display the options . . . so I'm not sure what's going on there. It may be a lower level problem than my game, part of Twine itself perhaps. When I was rebuilding the content filter I had to toggle all the filters several times to ensure they worked, so I may not have caught the error if it was correcting a previous problem. If the filter is now working for you, then the issue is most likely resolved for any future builds.

Anyway corrected version is up.
Elerneron

Postby moonblack » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Everything seems to work fine in the new version (including the content filter). Thanks for the quick fix. :)
moonblack

Postby FMC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm

I still had to turn off then on all the stuff i liked to get the content filter to work.

Also, seeing the Melody Dom scene, I can't wait til friday. :P I was gonna ask if some bondage was going to be involved, or if there were going to be options on how she dommed you, but you didn't seem to like bondage (since you said that you have trouble writing for it). That's fine, too, because, well... I can't wait to see the character I play get dommed. xD I dunno, for me, if another character gets dommed that I'm not playing, it's not as... good? I suppose that's the word. I wonder if I'm weird. xD
FMC

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner