[HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Abandoned

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Who's storylines are you interested in (check all that apply)?

Michael
7%
Rachael
13%
Amber
15%
Darian
5%
Melody
17%
Alex
6%
Jack
4%
Paige
13%
Lilly
20%

Total votes : 254

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 19 May 2014

Postby Ryuzakku » Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Everytime I choose michael I get this pop-up:

"Sorry to interrupt, but this story's code has gotten itself in a mess (access is denied). You may be able to continue playing, but parts of the story may not work properly."
Ryuzakku
Newly Registered

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 19 May 2014

Postby Elerneron » Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Ryuzakku Wrote:Everytime I choose michael I get this pop-up:

"Sorry to interrupt, but this story's code has gotten itself in a mess (access is denied). You may be able to continue playing, but parts of the story may not work properly."

I can't reproduce this. What browser are you using? Firefox and Chrome are working fine for me. I know that Internet Explorer has some problems with some of the code I use. I haven't tested it on any other browsers.
Elerneron

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 21 May 2014

Postby Elerneron » Wed May 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Alright, I had a hell of a mess coding attribute adjustments . . . big headache . . . lotsa moving stuff around and changing stuff. Yeah, hopefully not much more of that I'll have to do. I only got 2 passages written before the crap hit the fan . . . so that's what you're getting. Oh CRAP . . . I forgot to mention . . .

NEW CONTENT FILTERS If you want Gay Activity, Lesbian Activity, or Scat be sure to enable them in the content filter.
Elerneron

Postby Nagashofchaos » Thu May 22, 2014 3:24 am

Due to the events which have occurred my brain tells me to recount what just happened.

"Huh a new thing in non-flash hm. Wait... Elerneron? Well he has the same picture"
Starts reading first post
"Yeah this sounds like him. I'm bit surprised he's here but hey he appears to that ultimate 1st amendment goal."
Keeps reading
"Similar though not as potentially difficult. Though he might want to tell the player what the character can and can't do(trust/dominance). Wait... that's says demo at the bottom"
Silence goes on during downloading
"Whoa lots of pictures (eyes skip to names) hmm theres a bit of detail though he may need more as this seems to be a role playing of the character the player picks. (reads Lilly's line) heheh you took the words out of my mouth. Huh, the mouse pointer changed at the pictures let's click one"
He clicks on one, and proceeds to foam at the mouth. This is the point where brain tells him to go and type.

Anyway onto a little more constructive stuff.
As mentioned I somehow skipped the info telling me to click on the images, not much can really be done however. Make it bigger, move it under the pictures. Even with that the second main eye catcher is the names which will still mess things up
What content I found was quite amusing. Paddy has at this moment of time won the most amusing character so far award.

I look forward to seeing how far this goes, and wish you luck. Ye who live left of the middle of nowhere
Nagashofchaos
Newly Registered

Postby moonblack » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am

I decided to give this a try, and almost immediately managed to find a major issue. How it works:
Get to a page - ANY page - that says "To be continued . . ." but do NOT click on the "Return" link. Instead click one of the options in the side menu: Debug Menu, Known Associates, Content Filter or How to Play. After you go back to the "To be continued . . ." page click on the "Return" link and you'll be brought back to the page you chose from the side menu. This effectively leaves you in an endless loop and with no choice but to restart. It's not a big deal now, but it can become quite annoying when there's more content and thus you have to repeat a lot of stuff after each restart.

No other bugs seen. I'll be keeping an eye on this, as it seems to have a lot of potential.

Question: What does the Bookmark option do?
moonblack

Postby Elerneron » Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 am

Nagashofchaos Wrote:Due to the events which have occurred my brain tells me to recount what just happened.

"Huh a new thing in non-flash hm. Wait... Elerneron? Well he has the same picture"
Starts reading first post
"Yeah this sounds like him. I'm bit surprised he's here but hey he appears to that ultimate 1st amendment goal."

Hello, yes 'tis I, the only Elerneron that I know of. This isn't on FP because . . . well . . . I get chewed out there if I branch off of the concept I'm currently peddling, even if it is more likely that I can get it done. So No FP till the game is well on it's way.

Nagashofchaos Wrote:Keeps reading
"Similar though not as potentially difficult. Though he might want to tell the player what the character can and can't do(trust/dominance). Wait... that's says demo at the bottom"
Silence goes on during downloading
"Whoa lots of pictures (eyes skip to names) hmm theres a bit of detail though he may need more as this seems to be a role playing of the character the player picks. (reads Lilly's line) heheh you took the words out of my mouth. Huh, the mouse pointer changed at the pictures let's click one"
He clicks on one, and proceeds to foam at the mouth. This is the point where brain tells him to go and type.

Anyway onto a little more constructive stuff.
As mentioned I somehow skipped the info telling me to click on the images, not much can really be done however. Make it bigger, move it under the pictures. Even with that the second main eye catcher is the names which will still mess things up

Maybe giant animated green arrows pointing at the pictures? Not really, that means either animated gifs for the profile pictures, and I loose my color depth; or separate animated gifs that won't line up right on everyones monitor; or I figure out how to layer images in html/css/java . . . yeah, probably not. I'll consider ways to make it more obvious.

Nagashofchaos Wrote:What content I found was quite amusing. Paddy has at this moment of time won the most amusing character so far award.

I look forward to seeing how far this goes, and wish you luck. Ye who live left of the middle of nowhere

Glad you like Paddy. Look forward to frequent updates. I hopefully jumped my last big programming hurdle with the debug menu, and can focus on writing from here on out.

moonblack Wrote:I decided to give this a try, and almost immediately managed to find a major issue. How it works:
Get to a page - ANY page - that says "To be continued . . ." but do NOT click on the "Return" link. Instead click one of the options in the side menu: Debug Menu, Known Associates, Content Filter or How to Play. After you go back to the "To be continued . . ." page click on the "Return" link and you'll be brought back to the page you chose from the side menu. This effectively leaves you in an endless loop and with no choice but to restart. It's not a big deal now, but it can become quite annoying when there's more content and thus you have to repeat a lot of stuff after each restart.

No other bugs seen. I'll be keeping an eye on this, as it seems to have a lot of potential.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about that. For now just keep hitting your browser's back button and you'll get out eventually . . . I think. I will eventually disable the browser's back button . . . but that won't be until the game is 100% complete, or nearly so. Use it while you have it. I just can't commit the time to fix a rather specific problem with placeholders that are very temporary. I originally had it so they just said "To be continued . . ." and left you hanging, but someone complained about that. Maybe I should just write "End of current storyline, use you browser's back button to retrace your steps."?

moonblack Wrote:Question: What does the Bookmark option do?

It's native to Twine . . . I assume it's some sort of save function, but I haven't used it myself.
Elerneron

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 22 May 2014

Postby Elerneron » Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 am

Okay, I've written everything in the initial Michael story ark except for the stuff with Brad. I need a break from Michael for a bit so I'll be moving on. Contrary to my previous post I won't be going in order, but hoping from one to another willy-nilly as the mood strikes me. (A hint about the new content . . . Paddy has the luck of the Irish, you are luckier in close proximity)

For those of you that don't know, (because I haven't gotten it into the how to play yet) anytime you see a character's picture you can click on it to get their info page. Very handy for deciding if you want to try an action check against/with that NPC (compare their relative scores to your own).
Elerneron

Postby BlueLight » Fri May 23, 2014 7:17 am

If you give me a requirements list of features my engine needs to support to help your game; that would help me add features.

Some stuff i might not supoprt because it's possibly to specific but i'll see that it's possible to implement.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Elerneron » Fri May 23, 2014 3:39 pm

BlueLight Wrote:If you give me a requirements list of features my engine needs to support to help your game; that would help me add features.

Some stuff i might not supoprt because it's possibly to specific but i'll see that it's possible to implement.

Actually, I mostly base my game concepts on the engine. With that macro I got from Anabler this game is pretty much in the bag . . . pretty much. But I have literally dozens of game ideas . . . most of them are beyond my abilities. I am a writer first, an artist second, and a coder barely. I can do simple coding as long as it isn't OOC OOP, which I can't seem to get my head around. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that when you have your software ready, I'll probably get a ton of ideas on how to use it.
Last edited by Elerneron on Sat May 24, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elerneron

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 22 May 2014 - New Poll

Postby Elerneron » Fri May 23, 2014 3:45 pm

I won't be working on the game this weekend (or most weekends for that matter). I have a tabletop roleplaying group, and that occupies my weekend. I'll start up again late Sunday night, or on Monday. In the mean time I can get poll numbers to influence my decision on which of the character's stories I will work on next. LoK is only one of two places I'm running the poll, so keep that in mind when I make my choice. Also, you people do realize that you can pick as many characters as you want right? I'm just saying that because when the poll just started the first to people (other than myself) only chose one character each . . . which is not a problem if that's the only story they are interested in, but I somehow doubt that is the case . . . Also I set it so you can change your vote if you want to.
Elerneron

Postby chijon72 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:04 pm

It's a bit early to actually rule characters out, since we just have the blurbs and our imaginations for most of them. All sound potentially great, though I didn't vote for the aggressive boys. This game sounds potentially awesome, though I picture you having serious issues hosting it once the more extreme content gets in there. I wish you luck!
chijon72

Postby BlueLight » Fri May 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Elerneron Wrote: OOC

Object oriented coding? I believe you mean oop. P stands for programming.
BlueLight

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 24, 2014 12:34 am

chijon72 Wrote:It's a bit early to actually rule characters out, since we just have the blurbs and our imaginations for most of them. All sound potentially great, though I didn't vote for the aggressive boys. This game sounds potentially awesome, though I picture you having serious issues hosting it once the more extreme content gets in there. I wish you luck!

Thank you. From the early results it seems that the girls are more popular than the boys with Jack and Alex way behind everyone else. I'll deal with finding a new host when / if it becomes a problem . . . Hmmm, I could probably put it up on http://www.asstr.org/ seeing as it is an html file, and (arguably) a story .

BlueLight Wrote:

Oops . . . yes I meant OOP, not OOC (where's my brain today?) I haven't coded in a real language since before the spread of object oriented programming. I still think procedurally.
Elerneron

Postby BlueLight » Sat May 24, 2014 5:12 am

Elerneron Wrote:
BlueLight Wrote:

Oops . . . yes I meant OOP, not OOC (where's my brain today?) I haven't coded in a real language since before the spread of object oriented programming. I still think procedurally.

so OOP is basically taking tasks, putting it in a class or a method, so you cut down on work.

Here is a classic example that my dad showed me when he was modifying a program. Now i'll be doing this in java not java script; but lets say we roll 5 dice and count their score. This is the wrong way to do it.
Code: Select All Code
public class Dice5Roll{
   public static void main(String[] args){

int dice1 =0;
      int dice2 =0;
      int dice3 =0;     
      int dice4 =0;     
      int dice5 =0;     

Util.Random r = new Util.Random();

dice1 = r.nextInt(6)+1;
      dice2 = r.nextInt(6)+1;
      dice3 = r.nextInt(6)+1;     
      dice4 = r.nextInt(6)+1;     
      dice5 = r.nextInt(6)+1;   

System.out.println("Dice total: "+dice1+dice2+dice3+dice4+dice5);
   }
}

Now look at how ugly that is.... okay fine looks aren't everything but here is a task; add a 6th dice, and make it from 1-6 to 0-6.
Okay not that hard, but look at all that writing you have to do? You have to copy and paste the Dice variable and remove a digit then add 6; just so you can remove the +1 from all the dice variables and changing the 6 to 7.

Now add on to that; lets say i want to make this multiplayer supporting 6 players; then i have to have 6^2 variables which is a pain in the fucking ass to write and it's a pain in the fucking ass to fix, and it's just a pain in the fucking ass. So what do i do? i make it a 2 dimensional array. I can this make array to return a default value for this array based on the number of players. Then all i need to do is make a for loop and we're done. So just look at how simple this is if done in OOP manner with all these modifications. .

Code: Select All Code
public class Dice5Roll{

int NumberOfPlayers = 6;//this is the number of players.

public static void main(String[] args){

int[][] dices = resetDiceArray();//sets all the values to 0. first array are players, second is their dice. There are 6 values per player.

for(int player = 0; player < dices.length; player++){
         for(int j = 0; j < dices[player].length; j++){
             dices[player][j] = rollDice();
          }
       }

for(int i= 0; i< dices.length; i++){
         int t =0;
         for(int j = 0; j < dices[player].length; j++){
             t += dices[i][j];
         }
           System.out.println("Player "+ i+" dice total: "+t);
      }     
   }
   public int[][] resetDiceArray(){
      return new int[NumberOfPlayers ][6];//could also make sure all the values equal 0, but we'll assume they do.
   }
   public int rollDice(){
      Util.Random r = new Util.Random();
      return r.nextInt(6)+1;       
   }
}

While i don't like the for loops, and i could likely do better; yet this designs gives me so much control over how many players there are, how many dice each player has along with the values of the dice.
Basically i have one method to do my logic but i've made 2 helper methods which expand on what i can do massively. Lets say i want to reset the game, then i change the player amount and reuse the resetDiceArray() method.

This is like OOP lite version. When you get to stuff like multiple classes, or interfaces is when stuff really gets fun.
BlueLight

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 24, 2014 6:49 am

It basically looks like something that my training would have me put in a subroutine. I am aware of arrays, even multidimensional arrays, but the way they are implemented has changed considerably.

I'm not really seeing how what you put up is any different than a subroutine . . . but this is probably not the best place for a programming lesson . . . feel free to PM me if you want to.
Elerneron

Postby BlueLight » Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 am

Ya i figured my example was horrible.
BlueLight

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 26, 2014 4:33 am

Alright, the results of the two polls, added together, minus my votes, from most votes to least, as of right . . . now is:
  • Melody: 34
  • Amber: 33
  • Rachael: 30
  • Paige: 30
  • Lilly: 25
  • Alex: 17
  • Michael: 15
  • Jack: 11
  • Darian: 5

Sooo, I think I'll go with the majority and start working on the Melody story. This should be a fun one. Writing for a super-genius should be an interesting challenge. If Paige had been just a little more popular I may have gone with her story instead, so it is likely that she will be next after Melody. The males have been given low priority as the evidence indicates that people are more interested in the female characters.

I do need to work on at least one more bit of coding too . . . a page to track "quests" for the player to view (internally is already taken care of).

So, Melody story on the way.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Wed May 28, 2014 4:11 am

Another heads up. I originally intended to try for an update twice a week . . . Wednesday and Friday. That won't be happening this week. I need to write a bit of new code to track Melody's scientific (read science fiction) research. Melody's storyline will have research as an additional gameplay element. Basically, she has to build the gadgets before she can play with them. I'm hoping for a Friday release of the initial Melody Storyline, and I guarantee it will have more passages than the Michael storyline has . . . I can't guarantee that your content filter settings won't block a lot of the passages however. One neat thing about the Melody storyline is that I'm using the either() function with the techno-jargon, so if you navigate off the page (say to check someone's attributes, look at know associates, change the content filter, or read the how to play) when you come back large bits of techno-jargon might be completely different. I could probably fix this, but I kind of like it, so I'm not going to.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 am

The Friday release is going to be lighter on content than I would have liked. I found a need to put in the first status element in the form of Morality. I'm sure that you have all noticed the placeholder art in front of your character's attributes in the left panel . . . well that's where I put a story dependent status meter. For Michael and Melody (so far) this is going to be Morality. You gain morality by doing "good acts", you loose it by doing "evil deeds". Once you go full evil or good, the meter will be locked in place, and can only change via special story events. Some actions will only be available if you are good enough or evil enough to do them. I hope I can keep my guarantee that Melody's story will have more passages than Michael's by the time of release, but I'm not certain that I can . . . the guarantee wasn't intended to be for time of release, but it was implied and I don't want to lead you folks on. I'll see what I can get written. Back to the grindstone.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 am

Okay, It's Friday and I don't think I have the time before midnight to write another passage and check it 5-10 times like I usually do, so here you go. Not much going on, but there is one full sexy scene, you will need Teen Sex and Lesbian Activity on to read it. A lot of the work this week was background stuff that I needed for the Melody storyline (Research and Morality specifically.) I didn't get the quest tracking done, so I'll handle that on another update. Well for what it's worth, I hope you enjoy the tiny bit I got written.
Elerneron

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner