[HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Abandoned

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Who's storylines are you interested in (check all that apply)?

Michael
7%
Rachael
13%
Amber
15%
Darian
5%
Melody
17%
Alex
6%
Jack
4%
Paige
13%
Lilly
20%

Total votes : 254

[HTML] Taboo Valley (Twine) - Abandoned

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Warning: This Game Will Contain (if you don't turn them off)
1) Description of sexual activity with underage characters.
2) Bestiality.
3) Incest.
4) Rape
5) Watersports.
6) Pregnancy.
. . . and a lot of other stuff that may piss you off. It is called TABOO Valley

There will be no nude or sexual images of any kind. There will be SFW profile pics, GUI elements, and that's it for graphics.

All extreme options will be able to be turned off. You will NEVER have to see anything that you aren't interested in . . . wait, I can't promise that.

Now that I have chased those away that might not approve . . . my concept:

The story begins in the small California town of Tabba Valley (Taboo Valley when the kids are being "clever"). Tabba Valley is a medium town nestled between the suburbs of the city of Los Pechos (de Dios) and rural southern California. You play a member of the Simmons family; a large, upper middle class family. You will be able to choose which family member you wish to play. The game will be significantly different for each character, some easier and some harder. The different characters will also appeal to different styles of play.

Each character in the game will have three attributes which range from 1-10. The attributes are Body, Mind, and Spirit. Body reflects your characters physical prowess. Mind reflects your characters knowledge and can limit what options appear. Spirit reflects your character's social skills. The Simmons family (as the only playable characters) also have an attribute cap that ranges from 2-10. The player can increase their attributes and attribute caps through gameplay. Attributes cannot be raised beyond their current cap. Actions taken in the game have a chance of success or failure based on the comparison of the relevant attributes of the player and the target, with a random element factored in.

NPCs (Including the family members that you did not choose to play) will have two meters, one indicating your dominance over them, and one indicating the amount of trust that you share. These range from 0 -10. NPCs that your character knows will have an initial value, everyone else will start at 0. You can gain dominance and trust through actions in the game. Some PCs can only affect one or the other, for instance Jack is too nice of a guy to assert his dominance, and Darian is a cruel asshole who could care less about cultivating trust. The higher your trust and/or dominance the more options that will be available in the story.

Current Passage Count per Story:
  • Michael: 21
  • Rachael: 0
  • Amber: 0
  • Darian: 0
  • Melody: 15
  • Alex: 0
  • Jack: 0
  • Paige: 0
  • Lilly: 4

Known Issues:
  • None yet.

13 June 2014: New version
  • Restructured the code for displaying the characters present in a scene.
  • Reorganized the Content Filter.
  • Added 7 new filters to the Content Filter: Elderly Sex, Pregnancy, Interspecies Pregnancy, Unbirthing, Cum Play, Necrophilia, and Anal Sex
  • Converted the Attribute Modifier Passages into Widgets.
  • Converted Conflict Macro into a Widget.
  • Rewrote Conflicts to fit new Widget.
  • Restructured Conflict Reward / Penalties to vary based on the difference in attributes of the characters involved. The bigger the difference the more risk / reward.
  • Wrote four Widgets to modify Trust and Domination.
  • Modified the Trust gain and loss code in the Michael story to use above Widgets.
  • Remade all the character portraits for the new system where names and portraits are separate, and changed Lilly’s portrait image for a better one.
  • Restructured the Character Selection Page to the new system and made it more graphical.
  • Rebuilt Know Associate’s page for the new system, complete with variable number of columns for people with different monitor resolutions.
  • Rebuilt the sidebar into a button based system instead of text based to save on space. It should allow for a very compact sidebar if needed. Be sure to read the new “How to Play” entry for further details.
  • Wrote a new “How to Play” passage for the new User Interface.
  • Added a Credits page (click the “by Taboo Valley Team” link under the title and version#).
  • Placed two passages for Lilly thanks to MisterH.
  • Wrote up an exposition page (the page that tells you a bit more about the character) for Lilly’s story.
  • Placed two new passages for Melody thanks to MisterH.
  • Placed three new passages for Michael thanks to Leilanz. (Have the Gay Sex filter on if you want to see it all. Also Brad is a little more challenging than Jenny and there is no passage for a failure, so you might want to cheat your stats up to make sure you see everything.)
  • Added a rinky-dink transition passage to Michael’s story to tie one of Leilanz’s passages back to the others.
  • Added passages for Michael’s Exposition and Game Play passages.

The 13 June 2014 alpha release can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7pi0dy6c86glx48/Taboo_Valley.html
mirror https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbvaj3v0p8yks1i/Taboo_Valley.html
Attachments
Yard.png
Yard
Second-Floor.png
Second Floor
FirstFloor.png
First Floor
MichaelsBasementLab.png
Michael's Lab
MelodysSubBasementLab.png
Melody's Lab
Last edited by Elerneron on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Elerneron

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley

Postby BlueLight » Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm working on a engine that might be interested. It's designed so with a litte set up you can make a coc based game but could in theory be just used with the a text adventure and with the internal parser you could prevent text or events from firing. However my engine isn't in a workable state and would require unity to run; along with using c# but a modified version of javascript can be used to modify that code.

Once I get this working i'd like to get people to test it with their games so i where it short comings are
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 pm

BlueLight Wrote:I'm working on a engine that might be interested. It's designed so with a litte set up you can make a coc based game but could in theory be just used with the a text adventure and with the internal parser you could prevent text or events from firing. However my engine isn't in a workable state and would require unity to run; along with using c# but a modified version of javascript can be used to modify that code.

Once I get this working i'd like to get people to test it with their games so i where it short comings are

I look forward to seeing it when it is ready.

On another front, I have just rebuilt the content filter, so . . . yeah. I updated the file with the simpler, better Content Filter woo hoo!
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Sat May 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Thought that I should give a little more information on the macro I currently need . . . instead the massive "no info at all" that I gave in the OP.

What I need is a macro for twine where I can pass 4 variables to the macro, the player's attribute (1-10), the npc's attribute (1-10), a floor for a random number (a negative number no less than -10), and a ceiling for a random number (a positive number no greater than 10). The macro would then subtract the npc's attribute from the pc's attribute and add a random value between the floor and ceiling. It would then evaluate whether the number is positive (a success), or 0 or less (a failure). On a success it would check to see if NPC minus PC is 0 or less, if it is then it counts as a "lucky" success. On a failure it checks to see if NPC minus PC is positive, if it is this counts as a "bad break". It would then pass a variable back to the main portion of the game with the result . . . Success, Lucky, Failure, or Unlucky. So that is basically what I need.
Elerneron

Postby FMC » Sun May 18, 2014 4:34 am

Just came in to say: I'm watching this one. Even added to my favourites. This looks... really promising. But I can't do code... sorry >.<
FMC

Postby Anabler » Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 am

I saw your request for help and took some time to download Twine, learn to use it and create a custom macro.

To use it, type <<randomSuccess PCAttr NPCAttr Min Max>>
Where PCAttr is the player's attribute, NPCAttr is the NPC's attribute, Min is the "floor", Max is the "ceiling"

Put the following in a new Script (passage with with script in the tags).

Code: Select All Code
/% Takes 4 params in order: PC attribute, NPC attribute, low end of randomness, high end of randomness. Returns a text value based on the result and PC and NPC attributes. See specifics at www.legendofkrystal.com(SLASH)forum(SLASH)viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4117#p258271 %/
try {
  macros['randomSuccess'] = {
    handler: function(place, macroName, params, parser) {
      //Calculate numerical result
      //using parseFloat to parse negative params
      var result = params[0] - params[1] + parseFloat(params[2]) + (params[3]-params[2])*Math.random();

//Determine result given by the game and store in Twine variable: $result
      var charDiff = params[1]-params[0];
      if(result > 0 && charDiff >= 0)
        state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Lucky";
      else if(result > 0 && charDiff < 0)
        state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Success";
      else if(result <= 0 && charDiff <= 0)
        state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Unlucky";
      else if(result <= 0 && charDiff > 0)
        state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Failure";
    },
    init: function() { },
  };
} catch(e) {
  throwError(place,"randomSuccess Setup Error: "+e.message);
}

Here's the Twine Story file I've used to test it:
https://mega.co.nz/#!2p5DlZrQ!3yVbAGOLb ... KhUzSQwnWE
Anabler
Newly Registered

Postby Angeluz99 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:48 am

Wow! bestiality! i love it! :mrgreen:
Angeluz99
Newly Registered

Postby Elerneron » Sun May 18, 2014 9:33 am

FMC Wrote:Just came in to say: I'm watching this one. Even added to my favourites. This looks... really promising. But I can't do code... sorry >.<

Awesome, I hope not to disappoint!!

Anabler Wrote:I saw your request for help and took some time to download Twine, learn to use it and create a custom macro.

To use it, type <<randomSuccess PCAttr NPCAttr Min Max>>
Where PCAttr is the player's attribute, NPCAttr is the NPC's attribute, Min is the "floor", Max is the "ceiling"

Put the following in a new Script (passage with with script in the tags).

Code: Select All Code
/% Takes 4 params in order: PC attribute, NPC attribute, low end of randomness, high end of randomness. Returns a text value based on the result and PC and NPC attributes. See specifics at www.legendofkrystal.com(SLASH)forum(SLASH)viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4117#p258271 %/
try {
 macros['randomSuccess'] = {
 handler: function(place, macroName, params, parser) {
 //Calculate numerical result
 //using parseFloat to parse negative params
 var result = params[0] - params[1] + parseFloat(params[2]) + (params[3]-params[2])*Math.random();

//Determine result given by the game and store in Twine variable: $result
 var charDiff = params[1]-params[0];
 if(result > 0 && charDiff >= 0)
 state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Lucky";
 else if(result > 0 && charDiff < 0)
 state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Success";
 else if(result <= 0 && charDiff <= 0)
 state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Unlucky";
 else if(result <= 0 && charDiff > 0)
 state.history[0].variables["result"] = "Failure";
 },
 init: function() { },
 };
} catch(e) {
 throwError(place,"randomSuccess Setup Error: "+e.message);
}

Here's the Twine Story file I've used to test it:
https://mega.co.nz/#!2p5DlZrQ!3yVbAGOLb ... KhUzSQwnWE

Great! Thank you very much. Looking over the code, I suddenly realized that I said PC - NPC when I meant NPC - PC, but I think you caught it and fixed it on the backend.

Edit: Now that you have it done, I hope you don't mind if I move around a few >s, <s, >=s, and <=s to fit what I meant instead of what I said.

Angeluz99 Wrote:Wow! bestiality! i love it! :mrgreen:

One of my favorites as well.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Sun May 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Okay, I've tried to use Anabler's macro (as is, unmodified) but it isn't working. I've updated the HTML file and added a link to the .tws file in the OP. I know it works because of the demo .tws Anabler made . . . but in my game it doesn't seem to set $result properly. To get to it in game, choose Michael as your character, then choose the bottom action. In the .tws the code is at the top of Michael JennyBar1.
Elerneron

Postby xeragoth » Sun May 18, 2014 3:22 pm

how do i play when i open the html is just the faces of all the character i enter to one and then nothing
xeragoth

Postby Anabler » Sun May 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Although you and I couldn't have known, apparently Twine doesn't evaluate the variables and instead sends the macro the text "$BadLuck", "$GoodLuck", etc.
Luckily this problem has been solved before: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 6VQnbEVDdE
I created a second macro that will take names of variables instead of numbers. I then combined the functionality of both into one macro.

Here is an updated version of my test: https://mega.co.nz/#!mooAHaoR!3PplCAyfB ... ZLFMpd_m-8
randomNameMacro works only with Twine variable names.
randomAnyMacro works with both Twine variable names and numbers.

I've modified your posted file to work with the new macro: https://mega.co.nz/#!flBDFKxA!Oc3jfgKV7 ... XeBxkHsoeQ
Anabler
Newly Registered

Postby Elerneron » Sun May 18, 2014 10:01 pm

xeragoth Wrote:how do i play when i open the html is just the faces of all the character i enter to one and then nothing

It's going to take me time to write all the stories. What I have so far is little more than a proof of concept. The stories are coming, don't worry. From now on you will encounter a "To be continued . . ." when you reach the end of a particular storyline.
Elerneron

Postby xeragoth » Sun May 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Elerneron Wrote:
xeragoth Wrote:how do i play when i open the html is just the faces of all the character i enter to one and then nothing

It's going to take me time to write all the stories. What I have so far is little more than a proof of concept. The stories are coming, don't worry. From now on you will encounter a "To be continued . . ." when you reach the end of a particular storyline.

i understand that but i don t see any words after selecting a character
xeragoth

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 19, 2014 1:08 am

xeragoth Wrote:
Elerneron Wrote:

i understand that but i don t see any words after selecting a character

Yes, one of the versions I put out had blank passages. I have changed that in the current build. I believe that includes the one I currently have uploaded, but I'm not sure. If you choose Michael as your character and you get a black page you do not have the most recent file.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 19, 2014 1:28 am

Anabler Wrote:Although you and I couldn't have known, apparently Twine doesn't evaluate the variables and instead sends the macro the text "$BadLuck", "$GoodLuck", etc.
Luckily this problem has been solved before: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 6VQnbEVDdE
I created a second macro that will take names of variables instead of numbers. I then combined the functionality of both into one macro.

Here is an updated version of my test: https://mega.co.nz/#!mooAHaoR!3PplCAyfB ... ZLFMpd_m-8
randomNameMacro works only with Twine variable names.
randomAnyMacro works with both Twine variable names and numbers.

I've modified your posted file to work with the new macro: https://mega.co.nz/#!flBDFKxA!Oc3jfgKV7 ... XeBxkHsoeQ

Awesome! It's working without a hitch now. Thanks a million.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 19, 2014 7:22 am

Alright, I think I've written enough to give you folks an idea of what you have in store for you as far as thins game goes. It's 5 passages in the Michael story line. Should give you something to mull over. Once I get Michael home, I'll move on to Rachael, then Amber . . . and so on to Lilly; then back to Micheal. One story ark each, publishing whenever I feel froggy.
Elerneron

Re: [Twine] Taboo Valley - Update 19 May 2014

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Someone PMed me on tfgamessite that my files had been taken down for a ToS violation . . . while they still seem to be there, I figured I'd add a mirror just in case. Let me know if anyone else is having problems with a link, please.
Elerneron

Postby weenog » Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

It would be nice if there was an indicator that some of the links have no content yet. It's a little annoying to have to refresh and go through all the screens again just to see if there is anything behind each option.
weenog

Postby Elerneron » Mon May 19, 2014 7:51 pm

weenog Wrote:It would be nice if there was an indicator that some of the links have no content yet. It's a little annoying to have to refresh and go through all the screens again just to see if there is anything behind each option.

You can use the back button . . . but I will add a back link for convenience for the next build.
Elerneron

Postby Elerneron » Tue May 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Just a heads-up. I haven't had much time to write today. I was adding a gay scene to the initial Michael story ark, and decided that I needed to add gay and lesbian to the content filter. In doing so, I decided to completely rebuild it (the content filter that is). I'm rather happy with how it turned out. I also decided to remove the stories from the main .tws (using StoryIncludes), and give each one their own file to make things a little easier. I was running out of space, and scrolling was becoming a hassle with all the images in the main .tws. I'll be using the main .tws for all the character images and descriptions, then just link them to the various story .tws files. I won't be including a link to the .tws anymore, so if you want one of them PM me; though the main one would be of the most interest, as the others will contain predominately story content. Anyway, if you want to see the new content filter, go ahead and redownload the html . . . otherwise don't bother as the story hasn't progressed much at all.
Elerneron

Next

Return to Creative Corner