Yet another rpg maker game

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Yet another rpg maker game

Postby gurotaku » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:54 am

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I was inspired to try making a game
of my own. Also rpg maker was on steam sale for 75% off so there's that.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of rpg maker games on this site, but if you can
find the time to play this I would really appreciate any feedback you can give
me. Especially on the writing, cause I need all the help I can get in that
department.

Fair warning this game contains Straight, Yaoi and futa. But the yaoi is marked
so you can easily avoid it, And any future futa will be avoidable except for the
main Villain.

Things you can do in this release:
Collect 6 pictures
Buy 4 pictures from the item shop girl
Gain 2 new party members
Defeat the mayor, and finish off the first island
The quest book does not exist yet. It will be added in later.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3bpk4 ... d/game.zip
Last edited by gurotaku on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gurotaku
Newly Registered

Re: Yet another rpg maker game

Postby Zeus Kabob » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 am

Great! Thanks for making this!

If I manage to find some time to play this, I'll be sure to give you my thoughts! :)
Zeus Kabob

Postby Seyser Koze » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

A few design considerations...

1) The spaces in front of doors continue to say "this isn't the bar" after you've visited the bar, up until you talk to the scarecrow. You could also put these events on the doors themselves instead of having a dead zone in front of every house that you can't walk across.
2) The bartender disappears after you get your morning poison.
3) I actually spent a good ten minutes running around looking for a field with a guy in it (because why poke around in a clearly empty field looking for a person)? The only reason I managed to get past that point was that the item shop girl (if you talk to her again) refers to the scarecrow even if you've never spoken to it.
4) Britney's double attack should probably use TP instead of MP.
5) I also like Britney's personality, although the entire story to date is sort of held together with Scotch tape. Why is she such a threat to the mayor/Lilith that she needed to be kidnapped? The kidnapping is literally the only reason we're going after the mayor at all. Hell, the hero's such a lazy sack of shit that if the mayor hadn't kidnapped his girlfriend for no apparent reason, he probably wouldn't even care that the mayor was serving the forces of darkness.
6) You can enter the mayor's house and leave again despite the warning, but after you've killed the first assassins the hero decides that he's got to stay in the house until the job is done. So naturally I entered, discovered that you could leave, killed the assassins, saved, moved in a little farther, and then got killed by the mayor due to not having enough potions and was unable to go out and get more.
Seyser Koze

Postby moonblack » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:04 pm

1) Please move the bed events to the bed (and change their priority to Same as Characters). Currently it’s like this: You start in your house. You take a step up and get asked if you want to rest. You take another step up and get asked if you want to rest. You take a step down and again you get asked if you want to rest. It’s annoying, especially since if you approach the bed from the south you can’t interact with it – you MUST approach from the right if you want to rest
2) Seyser Koze already mentioned the events that tell you to go to the bar
3) The barkeep vanishes for no reason after you get your drink
4) You should make it clear that the “guy” who pays for pictures is the scarecrow. I walked and walked around the village and saw no one. I found the correct spot by coincendence
5) The scene where you spy on Lilith and the mayor can be repeated, and each time you get a copy of the pic (not that it does anything)
6) The event that brings you from the world map back to the village is at the wrong spot. You should move it one spot up. The way it is now if you leave the village and move north you walk through the houses without entering the village
7) There’s supposed to be some book in your house that lets you check your quests. There is no such book anywhere

I liked the writing and I like Brittney, but so far I see no reason to care about the main character, Terrence, or about the apparent big bad.
moonblack

Postby gurotaku » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:38 am

Seyser Koze Wrote:A few design considerations...

1) The spaces in front of doors continue to say "this isn't the bar" after you've visited the bar, up until you talk to the scarecrow. You could also put these events on the doors themselves instead of having a dead zone in front of every house that you can't walk across.
2) The bartender disappears after you get your morning poison.
3) I actually spent a good ten minutes running around looking for a field with a guy in it (because why poke around in a clearly empty field looking for a person)? The only reason I managed to get past that point was that the item shop girl (if you talk to her again) refers to the scarecrow even if you've never spoken to it.
4) Britney's double attack should probably use TP instead of MP.
5) I also like Britney's personality, although the entire story to date is sort of held together with Scotch tape. Why is she such a threat to the mayor/Lilith that she needed to be kidnapped? The kidnapping is literally the only reason we're going after the mayor at all. Hell, the hero's such a lazy sack of shit that if the mayor hadn't kidnapped his girlfriend for no apparent reason, he probably wouldn't even care that the mayor was serving the forces of darkness.
6) You can enter the mayor's house and leave again despite the warning, but after you've killed the first assassins the hero decides that he's got to stay in the house until the job is done. So naturally I entered, discovered that you could leave, killed the assassins, saved, moved in a little farther, and then got killed by the mayor due to not having enough potions and was unable to go out and get more.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to give me your criticism, I really appreciate it. I've fixed all the bugs you talked about, and I had the item shop girl specifically say you're looking for a scarecrow. I haven't changed the dual attack to using TP, but I will in the next release.
I get what you're saying about the mayor not having a reason for kidnapping Brittney. I'm going to change the story so it makes more sense. I'm not sure how yet, but I'll figure something out. Thanks again for the comments, especially the ones about the plot. That's where I really need help.
gurotaku
Newly Registered

Postby gurotaku » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 am

moonblack Wrote:1) Please move the bed events to the bed (and change their priority to Same as Characters). Currently it’s like this: You start in your house. You take a step up and get asked if you want to rest. You take another step up and get asked if you want to rest. You take a step down and again you get asked if you want to rest. It’s annoying, especially since if you approach the bed from the south you can’t interact with it – you MUST approach from the right if you want to rest
2) Seyser Koze already mentioned the events that tell you to go to the bar
3) The barkeep vanishes for no reason after you get your drink
4) You should make it clear that the “guy” who pays for pictures is the scarecrow. I walked and walked around the village and saw no one. I found the correct spot by coincendence
5) The scene where you spy on Lilith and the mayor can be repeated, and each time you get a copy of the pic (not that it does anything)
6) The event that brings you from the world map back to the village is at the wrong spot. You should move it one spot up. The way it is now if you leave the village and move north you walk through the houses without entering the village
7) There’s supposed to be some book in your house that lets you check your quests. There is no such book anywhere

I liked the writing and I like Brittney, but so far I see no reason to care about the main character, Terrence, or about the apparent big bad.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to give me feedback. I've moved the bed and the entrance to the city. I fixed The Lillith scene so it can't be repeated,fixed the barkeep, and had the item shop girl mention the scarecrow.

I see what you're saying about Terrence and Lilith. I'm going to change it in the next release so that you meet Terrence sooner. That way you have a chance to interact with him more on the first island. I think I will also Make some changes with Lilith. I want to give the main character a better reason to be chasing her. As far as not liking the main character that's understandable. He's a lazy, good for nothing drunk. But he's designed that way, So I don't plan on changing it. He does have a redeeming quality, he just hasn't had much opportunity to show it yet. I might work in a chance for him to shine, since I have to give him a reason to hate Lillith anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback. I hope you check back after the next release, and give me your Impression of the characters after the changes
gurotaku
Newly Registered

Postby Ayeka » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:43 pm

I start playing and going around first I made to mayor and next to friend. Conversation with internal voice looked akward. Overall my impression is good, drunkard as hero is interesting :)
Ayeka

Postby Seyser Koze » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:45 am

Aight, couple other suggestions.

1) Come up with a title (or at least something descriptive to call it) and post it. When the very title of your thread says OH GOD NOT ANOTHER RPG MAKER GAME that's guaranteed to be the first reaction of readers.

2) If you're planning to use 3D Custom Girl for your art from here on out, do some "research" by looking at the actual drawn CGs for some other successful H-games. Take note of things like framing, poses, and so forth. Play around with facial expressions. Try to have the girl and just the girl in the frame; we don't really care about the guys or the scenery all that much. Do some non-sexual CGs just to give us a closeup of our characters. Any of that will go a long way towards avoiding the Barbie-doll-playhouse syndrome that tends to infect a lot of games that use 3D Custom Girl.
Seyser Koze

Return to Creative Corner