Lua and LÖVE

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Lua and LÖVE

Postby maltopian » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Inspired by some of the things I've seen here, and my interest in both programming and low-tech gaming, I've decided to learn Lua. It looks like it has enough similarities to C++ that it shouldn't take me forever to adapt to it, and, tentatively, have chosen LÖVE as my engine. Has anyone made any decent progress using these? I'd love to see existing examples from LoK users that were generated that way, if they exist.
maltopian
Newly Registered

Re: Lua and LÖVE

Postby BlueLight » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 pm

never used any of the 3 plugged in stuff,
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Zeus Kabob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I've heard good things about Lua, but I thought it was a scripting language. Looks like I have a lot more to learn before I have advice, but I'm sure that there are some good online resources for general Lua knowledge, and if LÖVE has good documentation it shouldn't be too difficult to decipher it.
Zeus Kabob

Postby 4access69 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 am

Lua is scripting language. If you are just starting with it go with at least version 5.1 because there has been an API change and you don't want to use legacy stuff which can break later with updates.
Lua can interface with C++ (or just about any other language) -- you can call Lua functions from C++ or vice versa so it is very powerfull.
Thanks for bringing up LÖVE, I never knew it existed and was thinking of coding something myself with Lua, now I am going to check it out.
4access69

Return to Creative Corner