Dead Space: Frequency

Re: Dead Space: Frequency

Postby SuicideZombie56 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Danteftw Wrote:Ok now its either me beeing incredibly stupid or the game is broken for some reason im stuck when i start the game and there no way for me to advance form the very first screen when you start the game. What could be wrong ?

Try zooming out. If you are zoomed it, then the picture will be cut off and you can't advance.
SuicideZombie56
Newly Registered

Postby Renara » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Hah, knew it wouldn't last ;)

The game looks great already. I think the main thing it lacks is something to shoot near the start for practice; first lot of necromorphs that appeared just destroyed me while I blundered about uselessly at them ;)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby ahrimansiah » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am

im SO glad to hear that u want to finish this one!!! this is a hot and unique idea! the only other game i know close to this one is resident evil one but this one is more intense! would love to see some brutal rape!
good luck bro ^^
ahrimansiah

Postby UnLimiTeD » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Nice to see this might just get finished.
So I suppose it's time to give feedback?
I think the hitboxes could be a bit larger, or the game a bit slower.
I just constantly moved when I wanted to shoot.
Pressing space repeatedly ended with me not being able to stand up anymore in combat, I pressed it again, she would kinda snap up, then get back to crouching, and died horribly.
Oh, and the game runs significantly faster in this thread than fullscreen, I'm not sure how fast it's supposed to run.
All that aside, a great game, and an interesting approach to 'detach' the scenes.

Edit: One more thing to make the pure click system work better:
Hold Space to stand still, instead of toggling it. I don't know how much performance it eats, but I expect it to ease control in combat.
Last edited by UnLimiTeD on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnLimiTeD

Postby BlueLight » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:41 am

The game relies to much on the mouse and it's to clunky.
I don't mind moving based on mouse so long as the keyboard good enough with shooting; and i don't mind shooting with the mouse as long as you have a standard keyboard set up or better. However, you're doing to much based on the mouse and i don't think the system can really handle it yet. I moving based on mouse movements and then suddenly i have necromorphs; It's sudden and i as a player don't really have a chance to get ready for this. I just got a game over so i have to retrek though the ship until i get to the point i was at.
I would suggest you put a save system, in the test chamber.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby killzone1012 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 am

this looks interesting hope this project sees completion later on
killzone1012

Postby Solitarios » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 am

Alright, here's my two cents.

This game has a lot of potential. There are a few things that I think can be done to improve upon the design however. In my opinion I think that the idea of using the mouse click for both moving and shooting isn't a good idea. As people have said before this system often leads to people accidentally moving when they are trying to shoot. Now, I know that you have the hold position button, I'll get to that later. What I think that you should do for the gameplay is this:

Start by switching the movement mechanic over to the A and D keys. This will improve movement immensely and get rid of accidental movement while shooting. Next, make it so that instead of clicking precisely upon the limb you want to dismember, have the plasma cutter fire a sort of projectile. The projectile will fly in a straight line and dismember any limbs that it makes contact with. In order to keep it from getting over powered make it so that there's no penetration; it can only dismember one necromorph's limb per shot, just like in the original game. By making the shooting projectile based this makes the complaints about a small hit box almost irrelevant. I'd also advise that you add a slightly longer recovery time on the necromorphs once they've lost their first set of limbs. This gives the player a much better fighting chance against larger hoards of enemies. Now on to the hold position function. I think that instead of its only function being to force you to stay put, it should also add some other form of combat perk. For example it could increase Ellie's accuracy, allowing her to dismember multiple necromorphs' limbs with a single shot. It could also increase damage resistance or increase health.

Now, if you are especially fond of the using the mouse for everything approach here's another idea of mine:

Start by increasing the size of the hit box. If you want to make it so that you have to click directly upon the limb you want to cut off, then the current hit box is too small, and should be increased in size. The idea about an increased recovery for necromorphs after losing a limb applies here as well. Next, for the hold position option I say forget about the other options I listed above and go with increased accuracy in the form of an increased hit box. The problem with clicking directly on the limb that you want to dismember is that you'll miss often. Making it so that when you hold position you get an increased enemy hit box will give the player a much higher incentive to use the option.

Now I have some other idea's that don't apply to the current gameplay mechanics.

First off, upgrade. I haven't seen it in the game, or in the other posts (I could have just missed them), but I advise using a tree system, like in your previous games. As for getting the upgrade points, I think that it should either be the necromorph corpse or power nodes. Like in the original power nodes would be a lore friendly way of doing upgrade points. However, using the necromorph corpse will add a choice. Do I want to be tougher/faster/deadlier or do I want to get this new sex scene. This choice will make your resources far more valuable. If you decide to go down the second path then I also advise increasing the number of samples you get from each corpse. If you only have one resource that resource should naturally become more readily available. I'd personally recommend increasing the number of samples from necromorphs to two. You could also make it so that more common enemies require more samples to get their respective goodies and that rarer/tougher enemies require fewer.

Another Idea I had was that if you intend to integrate different suits into the game that each suit offers a unique perk and/or sex animation. The addition of a unique perk per suit shouldn't be too hard to do. I also think that the perks should be double edged swords; providing some benefits and some downsides. As for the animations, this would definitely be far more difficult and time consuming. Depending on the number of suits you could increase the amount of work you have to do by a huge amount. That's why this is only an idea. I do think that the extra animations would add even more incentive to use the samples for sex scenes however, if you decide to use the aforementioned second choice for upgrades.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter. I Hope that my insight was of at least some help. Keep up the good work.
Solitarios
Newly Registered

Postby killzone1012 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:25 am

Solitarios Wrote:Alright, here's my two cents.

This game has a lot of potential. There are a few things that I think can be done to improve upon the design however. In my opinion I think that the idea of using the mouse click for both moving and shooting isn't a good idea. As people have said before this system often leads to people accidentally moving when they are trying to shoot. Now, I know that you have the hold position button, I'll get to that later. What I think that you should do for the gameplay is this:

Start by switching the movement mechanic over to the A and D keys. This will improve movement immensely and get rid of accidental movement while shooting. Next, make it so that instead of clicking precisely upon the limb you want to dismember, have the plasma cutter fire a sort of projectile. The projectile will fly in a straight line and dismember any limbs that it makes contact with. In order to keep it from getting over powered make it so that there's no penetration; it can only dismember one necromorph's limb per shot, just like in the original game. By making the shooting projectile based this makes the complaints about a small hit box almost irrelevant. I'd also advise that you add a slightly longer recovery time on the necromorphs once they've lost their first set of limbs. This gives the player a much better fighting chance against larger hoards of enemies. Now on to the hold position function. I think that instead of its only function being to force you to stay put, it should also add some other form of combat perk. For example it could increase Ellie's accuracy, allowing her to dismember multiple necromorphs' limbs with a single shot. It could also increase damage resistance or increase health.

Now, if you are especially fond of the using the mouse for everything approach here's another idea of mine:

Start by increasing the size of the hit box. If you want to make it so that you have to click directly upon the limb you want to cut off, then the current hit box is too small, and should be increased in size. The idea about an increased recovery for necromorphs after losing a limb applies here as well. Next, for the hold position option I say forget about the other options I listed above and go with increased accuracy in the form of an increased hit box. The problem with clicking directly on the limb that you want to dismember is that you'll miss often. Making it so that when you hold position you get an increased enemy hit box will give the player a much higher incentive to use the option.

Now I have some other idea's that don't apply to the current gameplay mechanics.

First off, upgrade. I haven't seen it in the game, or in the other posts (I could have just missed them), but I advise using a tree system, like in your previous games. As for getting the upgrade points, I think that it should either be the necromorph corpse or power nodes. Like in the original power nodes would be a lore friendly way of doing upgrade points. However, using the necromorph corpse will add a choice. Do I want to be tougher/faster/deadlier or do I want to get this new sex scene. This choice will make your resources far more valuable. If you decide to go down the second path then I also advise increasing the number of samples you get from each corpse. If you only have one resource that resource should naturally become more readily available. I'd personally recommend increasing the number of samples from necromorphs to two. You could also make it so that more common enemies require more samples to get their respective goodies and that rarer/tougher enemies require fewer.

Another Idea I had was that if you intend to integrate different suits into the game that each suit offers a unique perk and/or sex animation. The addition of a unique perk per suit shouldn't be too hard to do. I also think that the perks should be double edged swords; providing some benefits and some downsides. As for the animations, this would definitely be far more difficult and time consuming. Depending on the number of suits you could increase the amount of work you have to do by a huge amount. That's why this is only an idea. I do think that the extra animations would add even more incentive to use the samples for sex scenes however, if you decide to use the aforementioned second choice for upgrades.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter. I Hope that my insight was of at least some help. Keep up the good work.

i like your idea
killzone1012

Postby Chameleon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm

It's been too long, GP! :D
Chameleon

Postby Kurushimi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 pm

killzone1012 Wrote:

i like your idea

Agreed.
Kurushimi

Postby dlwebb23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 pm

If this has been already asked then my bad, but can you actually defeat the boss. The venus fly trap looking thing lol, I get to him & just eventually die after about 5 mins of killing the slashers. cause I am assuming you can't kill it yet.
dlwebb23
Newly Registered

Postby needluvn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Kurushimi Wrote:
killzone1012 Wrote:

i like your idea

Agreed.

Concurred
needluvn

Postby hllol » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 am

dlwebb23 Wrote:If this has been already asked then my bad, but can you actually defeat the boss. The venus fly trap looking thing lol, I get to him & just eventually die after about 5 mins of killing the slashers. cause I am assuming you can't kill it yet.

You can kill it.
3/25
- finished Mandrake boss encounter on floor 6
- activating generator 2 is the final action so far

I've beaten the boss and activated the 2nd generator. I haven't run into any issues.
hllol
Newly Registered

Postby Urthos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am

The combat is different. Clunky for some, because they're not used to it. I'm okay with getting used to it. What I'm not okay doing is starting all the way over each time I fuck up while trying to get used to it. Please, as the next thing you do, add a checkpoint system for god's sake! I'm a big fan of your games and hope great luck follows you!
Urthos
Newly Registered

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm not concerned about upgrades or upgrade trees, but as to everything ABOVE the line that "doesn't apply to current gameplay mechanics", I fully agree with Solitarios.
Lucky777

Postby dlwebb23 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm

hllol Wrote:
dlwebb23 Wrote:If this has been already asked then my bad, but can you actually defeat the boss. The venus fly trap looking thing lol, I get to him & just eventually die after about 5 mins of killing the slashers. cause I am assuming you can't kill it yet.

You can kill it.
3/25
- finished Mandrake boss encounter on floor 6
- activating generator 2 is the final action so far

I've beaten the boss and activated the 2nd generator. I haven't run into any issues.

Well I saw all that but I was also really hoping on maybe a hint lol. cause I have tried clicking numerous areas.
dlwebb23
Newly Registered

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 am

Make rainbow sparkles and upbeat pop music explode out of everything when it dies and it'll be a masterpiece.
napsii

Postby hllol » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm

dlwebb23 Wrote:Well I saw all that but I was also really hoping on maybe a hint lol. cause I have tried clicking numerous areas.

When the bulbs open, shoot the yellow things. It should bleed yellow as well. When the giant one in the middle opens, shoot the 3 yellow whachamacallits. And that's it, I believe.
hllol
Newly Registered

Postby dlwebb23 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 am

Thanks for the help! :)
dlwebb23
Newly Registered

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 am

Nice game so far ;) I wanted to use the keyboard to run and do other things using the left hand, in order to prepare myself for the worse, is it possible in the future?
Ivan-Aedler

PreviousNext

Return to GoRepeat's One Stop Shop