"Unforbidden" (3D platformer, tentacle, beast) [2013-02-28]

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Project "Unforbidden" (3D RoR platformer, tentacle, beas

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 am

Ya, it sounds like it. Either you didn't say if you program normally or i forgot that part.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Red.Sheer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm

(...)
Last edited by Red.Sheer on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Staff member ---- Loyal follower of the Lolsheep
Red.Sheer

Postby Zikare » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Hehe, that would be cool. Since I am collecting that data anyway, I'll see if I can add a few surprises like that :mrgreen:

It's going to be a bit of work to find a system that does at least a half-decent job figuring out the player's preferences. I'm thinking heuristics like does the player immediately try to kill it, how often did he make no effort to struggle, is there a disproportionate amount of successful rapes for one enemy, etc., but it'll have stay within reason.

-

Update:

The path-finding system I have been working on is now mostly finished. All platforms are connected as a directed graph (so I can set up one-way jumps, like skipping a platform on the way down, but not on the way up) and I wrote a "navigation system" that can be asked for directions (very much like a car nav, it actually provides a list of instructions the enemy has to follow to get to the target)

Take that, average dumb platformer enemies! :lol:

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

If anyone wants to give it a test drive, I've uploaded a new release. There's now a little white sphere that tries to hunt you down. The F key toggles between waiting and hunt mode, so that you can get a bit further away and watch it figure out a path to reach you :)

I've also made a page for the game and written down the story I'm going with (see signature). No spoilers in it, it's essentially the future intro in text form.
H-game developer. Development blog. Games: Image (3D tentacle/beast platformer), more to come!
Zikare

Re: "Unforbidden" (3D platformer, tentacle, beast) [2013-01-

Postby BlueLight » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 am

I thinking how i could suggest doing something other than a alignment system; but it sounds like im bossing you around when i listen to what i write . Just take what i say as a mild suggestion at best.

I dislike alignment systems normally because they seem to limit the game ability to expand in a set of direction. Bioware is one company that had that problem but there games were still great and they learned from that. Anyways the point is that maybe you should have a system that records if your character like to do several things. For instant why should liking to do hand job affect if my character like anal.
But tracking how much my chacracter enjoy both in two different variables would allow s larger range of interactions and differences.

I'm going to try and stay away from this thread for maybe a week or so, that way you can get work done with out me telling you what you should snd should not do.

Ps I just remembered why I hate doing this on a phone
BlueLight

Postby Zikare » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Just fire away. I aim to please (so long as it doesn't blow up the scope of the project) and I don't mind at all hearing if people don't like an one thing or another :)

What I had in mind from the start were metrics like this:
Code: Select All Code
Overall                     | Struggles | Submits | Kills | Flights | Orgasms by
  Mammals?                  |           |         |       |         |
    Wolf                    |           |         |       |         |
      <special wolf X>      |           |         |       |         |
  Reptiles?                 |           |         |       |         |
    <surprise1>             |           |         |       |         |
      <special reptile Y>   |           |         |       |         |
  Tentacles?                |           |         |       |         |
    <surprise2>             |           |         |       |         |

Last 30 encounters by class: 27xMammal, 3xReptile (mammal = favorite)
Last 30 encounters by species: 20xWolf, 7xSurprise1, 3xSurprise2 (wolf = favorite)

And a talk system with a collection of situation-dependent things she would say or think. Then I could pick dialogue, eg.
  • 0 overall rapes => she's surprised at what's happening
  • (submits - struggles) < 0 => she's put off by the creature
  • (submits - struggles) > 10, she fought => annoyed but accepting
  • (submits - struggles) > 10, no fight => accepting and embracing
  • (submits - struggles) > 10, favorite => special dialogue sometimes
After what Red.Sheer said, I imagined adding a few special cases. Like if you keep killing wolves all the time, at a key location maybe a pack of wolves suddenly attacks. Or if you've been behaving rather friendly, ahem, perhaps they'll jump a mini-boss instead, relieving him of a few health points before the fight even starts. Or if you manage to convert said Mini-Boss, having its scent on you could keep you safe for a while.

But that's just brainstorming at this point, focus #1 is to reach a finished game with well-designed systems as quickly as possible so I can decide how long I want to spend adding cool stuff and new creatures before trying my luck on DLsite or another online store that allows such material (gotta love the Japanese :mrgreen:).
H-game developer. Development blog. Games: Image (3D tentacle/beast platformer), more to come!
Zikare

Postby Kuragari » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:24 am

This game sounds like it is going to be simply amazing. Now if I only knew anything about video game programming that would allow me to help.
Kuragari

Postby Red.Sheer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 am

(...)
ImageImage

Red.Sheer

Postby Zikare » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't want to take it quite that far:
- For once designing entire areas to play differently would mean a lot of extra work.
- Then, as BlueLight said, having such one-or-the-other pairs would suck for players which happen to like both Slimes and Wolves. Even more so if the game would branch and exclude certain options completely based on earlier choices.
- Third, a player's preferences might change - after spending a lot of time with wolves, one might grow bored and look for something new.

So a few gimmicks, like receiving an unexpected favor in a few cases, would be a-ok, but I don't want the player to sit there and plan his encounters (or worse yet, sit through something he doesn't enjoy) just to see special event X or to make boss Y easier.
Zikare

Postby Red.Sheer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 pm

(...)
ImageImage

Red.Sheer

Postby FMC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm

You added how many times one killed a creature, which is all fine and dandy.

But what if I'm killing them just to get through a certain part that happens to have an overly large amount of x creatures (if they're going to be random spawns instead of prechosen enemies), or if you have it like Metroid, you might have to go through a certain area.

At first, I might kill them all because I don't want to see their rape scene. But then, later, I want to see their rape scene, but I've killed too many of them, and now they won't rape. This could be annoying, and be even more so if the creature in questions happens late in the game.

I have an idea, but it'd cost a lot more time (probably). Instead of kills determining if they want to have sex with you or not, have it determine how they treat you. Like how you have the girl's thoughts be corrupted the more you have sex with something, perhaps you could take a 'Kills - x factor' or vice versa, and use that to determine how 'rapey' the creatures get. That could incorporate how difficult monsters type are to 'convert' versus how much you like them -- nothing overly complex (like it really could be), but maybe something that might make the girl love to do them, but the creatures simply want to rape instead of make love.

Dunno, just a random thought. But having kills determine straight up whether they have sex with you or not still would be annoying. And sometimes, saving wouldn't even help that (if you saved after going through area x and killed x amount of them).

Still, other than that, I like the idea. Just thought I'd give my two cents on something on this forum since I haven't in a while, and your game immediately caught my eye.
FMC

Postby Zikare » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Good observation! The player might just plow through an area sometimes to get on with the story or to fetch an item he forgot to pick up.

I'll have to see which numbers ultimately work and which don't, but I'll keep in mind that kills would not be a good basis (but check that bullet list above, my concept sketch also wasn't based on Kills but on (Submits - Rejects), which is part of the struggle mechanic I haven't revealed yet :mrgreen:).

Enemies will always be up to do their stuff, regardless of the heroine's behavior - there's a reason for it and it's part of the story. I'm trying to avoid species-wide awareness of your actions, so what happens will be up to each individual encounter (and the heroine's corruption, skills, etc), but there will be certain special cases, too. For now, those special cases are a secret :)
Zikare

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

FMC Wrote:You added how many times one killed a creature, which is all fine and dandy.

But what if I'm killing them just to get through a certain part that happens to have an overly large amount of x creatures (if they're going to be random spawns instead of prechosen enemies), or if you have it like Metroid, you might have to go through a certain area.

At first, I might kill them all because I don't want to see their rape scene. But then, later, I want to see their rape scene, but I've killed too many of them, and now they won't rape. This could be annoying, and be even more so if the creature in questions happens late in the game.

I have an idea, but it'd cost a lot more time (probably). Instead of kills determining if they want to have sex with you or not, have it determine how they treat you. Like how you have the girl's thoughts be corrupted the more you have sex with something, perhaps you could take a 'Kills - x factor' or vice versa, and use that to determine how 'rapey' the creatures get. That could incorporate how difficult monsters type are to 'convert' versus how much you like them -- nothing overly complex (like it really could be), but maybe something that might make the girl love to do them, but the creatures simply want to rape instead of make love.

Dunno, just a random thought. But having kills determine straight up whether they have sex with you or not still would be annoying. And sometimes, saving wouldn't even help that (if you saved after going through area x and killed x amount of them).

Still, other than that, I like the idea. Just thought I'd give my two cents on something on this forum since I haven't in a while, and your game immediately caught my eye.

Sorry but I'm at college and tired. How is this different? Is it because soming else is making her have dirt thoughts?
BlueLight

Postby WarterLar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 am

Looking good:).
WarterLar

Postby Zikare » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Wow, almost a month since my last post :)

I've made a lot of progress: there's now a complete starting area, a canyon and a small cave system. I hope I can also manage to finish up one other location on or shortly after this weekend because that will be where the action starts.

I'm trying my best to finish up a new release by the end of next week, with polished animations, a working enemy, a partially working beginning of the story and some of the dialogue system!

Just wanted to give a quick heads up before anyone thinks I've disappeared :)
Zikare

Postby BlueLight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Zikare Wrote:Wow, almost a month since my last post :)

I've made a lot of progress: there's now a complete starting area, a canyon and a small cave system. I hope I can also manage to finish up one other location on or shortly after this weekend because that will be where the action starts.

I'm trying my best to finish up a new release by the end of next week, with polished animations, a working enemy, a partially working beginning of the story and some of the dialogue system!

Just wanted to give a quick heads up before anyone thinks I've disappeared :)

... I know why you've been gone. You defected to those RED COMMIES at the ULMF.org forums! Don't think i didn't see you! :geek:
BlueLight

Postby Zikare » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 am

But... but they started that thread! They practically forced me to reply! :o
Zikare

Postby 4access69 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:00 pm

I tried your game demo and I do like the idea of 3D RoR game.

I hope you don't mind if I put in a few small criticisms.

- Starting/stopping animation is like ice-skating -- totally unnatural
- Climbing up the ledge is too acrobatic and stiff and takes too long -- if it is something that its going to be repeated often please consider making it shorter/faster/more fluid
- It is really hard to see platforms when they are almost the same color like the background -- I hope thats just the demo artefact, in general its better to have less busy background and more detailed characters and objects

Can't wait to see the progress.
4access69

Postby Zikare » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:27 pm

4access69 Wrote:I tried your game demo and I do like the idea of 3D RoR game.

I hope you don't mind if I put in a few small criticisms.

Thanks!

If you read the first post, the animations weren't finished yet in that demo (eg. running animation does not sync to actual movement speed, no ease-in/ease-off for starting and stopping, no jumping animation, climbing is in super-slow motion, etc.).

The background geometry, though, is similar to what I'm shooting for in the actual game.

I thought the platforms were rather well visible with the grass on top and 3D effect. I wonder what I can do to make the background less obtrusive or to make them stand out more?
- Maybe blur the background texture?
- Localized fog to fade the background a bit?
- Add more depth (aka. push the back walls in caves back by another 50%)
- Change the angle of global lighting so the back wall will be relatively darker than the tops of the platforms
- Or perhaps just add some clever markers, such as moving grass, hanging roots etc. to give more visual cues

I'm going to experiment a bit with those things. It would be great if you could report back if it's any better after the next release (I'm trying hard to make it by the end of next week)
Zikare

Re: "Unforbidden" (3D platformer, tentacle, beast) [2013-02-

Postby Zikare » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Muahaha! New release done! It was a though week and I'm 4 days past my deadline for this milestone, but I made it in the end :mrgreen:

I've added a lot of stuff in the past 6 weeks:
  • Destructible clothing (lose one struggle and she's in her underwear, a second one and she's nude, a third one and she gets raped)
  • Struggle system (quickly press left/right to struggle or up/down to submit)
  • Corruption system (just an early preview, but her preferences and inhibitions already change based on your choces)
  • Dynamic dialogue (there's a large database of things she can say, the game selects and displays dialogue at appropriate times)
  • Squatting, sliding, crawling (similar concept as Metroid: Zero Mission, with sliding added for speed)
  • Horny wolves (yep, there was no way I could make yet another release without some action)

I think I'll now lean back, dive into Brütal Legend for a few hours and then I'll start the long process of cleaning up all the hacks I've done to make this release function :)

New screenshots and updated download link are in the first post!

Update: My first upload was broken. Anyone who downloaded the game in the first 70 minutes after me posting this will have a version of the game that's missing all the animations for the heroine (she'll fly around like some statue). Sorry about that, it's fixed now.
Zikare

Re: "Unforbidden" (3D platformer, tentacle, beast) [2013-02-

Postby misterzim » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 am

The gun isn't shooting, is that a bug or has the firing system not yet programmed?
misterzim
Newly Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner