Regarding Flash Attachments.

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Regarding Flash Attachments.

Postby Thaedael » Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

Thank you for your concern for the well being of the forum, and for bringing this to my attention. My mailbox is 200 pm's large, and it was near full by this morning, a feat by any means considering how often I go through my folder.

Currently it is known that the flash attachments are ridiculously small. Renara has also been brought into attention, stating that he may have inadvertantly changed the settings, and is looking into it as we speak. Thank you for your concern, and we wish to apologize for any inconveniences this has caused for both game creators and those that only come here to stroke a dick and lurk.

Edit: In an effort to not be sexist, it also applies for lurkettes that only come here to finger a pussy and lurk ^^;;
Thaedael

Re: Regarding Flash Attachments.

Postby Renara » Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 am

Just wanted to note that the board update today didn't fix the display of forum attachments, however on the plus side it means I'm pretty sure what the problem is caused by, but tracking it down is another matter. Anyway, just wanted to note that I'm hoping to get this fixed today.

In the mean-time you can click a Flash attachment's file-name to open it in a new browser window or tab as desired, or download it to view/play offline (use your browser to open the file).
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Renara » Wed May 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Okay, for those interested the issue is due to my requesting an update the server to PHP 5.3 prior to upgrading the forums, this is because PHP 5.3 makes it much easier to change PHP settings, which allowed me to remove the limit of 7mb for uploaded files, which a number of our content creators were running into when trying to upload larger flashes.

Anyway, the PHP 5.3 installation provided by my web-hosting service seems to come with screwy settings for the zlib extension, which is required for PHP to be able to determine the correct dimensions for a Flash file. I've sent a request to support so hopefully I can get zlib re-enabled shortly and Flash files will show up as expected once again.

Sorry the inconvenience! As I say, the easiest solution is probably to right-click on an attachment's file name and choose to open in a new window or tab or download the file, for some browsers the file may be downloaded either way. Once downloaded you should be able to open the file with your browser by opening it from the File menu or dragging the file onto the address bar.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Thaedael » Wed May 30, 2012 1:02 pm

TLDR;

Right click file > Open in new window > problem solved

Thanks Renara for keeping this thread in fine working order. The next step to forum perfection would be amendments to the forum rules in relation to some of the concerns that have been brought to me in the past few months of servitude to the forums.
Thaedael

Postby Renara » Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 am

Just a quick note that this apparently isn't a simple case of enabling the missing extension, so there'll likely be a bit more of a delay. I could go back to PHP 5.2, but it would mean being stuck with a 7mb upload limit again, so I'm not eager to do that. I'll give my web-host's support till the end of the week to see if they can sort it out, as some version of the extension does actually appear to be installed but unfortunately for us it's not working like it should, don't you just love technology? :D
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby 4access69 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Renara Wrote:Just a quick note that this apparently isn't a simple case of enabling the missing extension, so there'll likely be a bit more of a delay. I could go back to PHP 5.2, but it would mean being stuck with a 7mb upload limit again, so I'm not eager to do that. I'll give my web-host's support till the end of the week to see if they can sort it out, as some version of the extension does actually appear to be installed but unfortunately for us it's not working like it should, don't you just love technology? :D

Few points to consider:
- I see that gzip is enabled on the server (pages come out compressed).
- Both the <object> and <embed> have empty width and height attributes (i.e. width="", height="").
- <object> is using outdated flash version <i>version=5,0,0,0</i>
- On my website I have the following in my .htaccess:
Code: Select All Code
<FilesMatch "\.(css|js|php)$">
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain text/css text/html
Header set Vary Accept-Encoding
</FilesMatch>

Maybe you could temporarily disable gzip to verify whether that causes the problem?

Finally, maybe this will help if put in a right place :)
http://my-sliit.blogspot.com/2009/02/ge ... -file.html
4access69

Postby Nonvalid » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Blame...
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

SOPA!!!.

Lol, I made a very old joke.
Thanks webought, for that ScrnShot on Gorepete's forum. Now I have Firefox :3.
Nonvalid

Postby Biles » Thu May 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Nonvalid Wrote:Blame...

SOPA!!!.

LOL, no me gusta sopa de esta tipo.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Nonvalid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Biles Wrote:
Nonvalid Wrote:Blame...

SOPA!!!.

LOL, no me gusta sopa de esta tipo.

Que?
Thanks webought, for that ScrnShot on Gorepete's forum. Now I have Firefox :3.
Nonvalid

Postby Renara » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:22 pm

4access69 Wrote:Maybe you could temporarily disable gzip to verify whether that causes the problem?

Thanks for the attempt to help, but I know what the problem is; it's not GZIP compression (that's always been enabled) but some oddity with how zlib has been installed for my host's PHP 5.3 distribution, wasn't a problem with PHP 5.2 but whatever is different in 5.3 means that zlib isn't configured the way it should be for use with getimagesize(), which is the PHP function that the forum uses to work out how big a flash file should be. This is a problem because while flash files are meant to be supported by the function, it needs zlib to decompressed the file's headers in order to find out its document settings (width and height).

The problem ultimately is that my host's support aren't able to fix it directly, so they have to hand it off to the development team (who are responsible for packaging all the software the web hosts can use) but there's no indication of when that'll be done. I've got a possible work-around I can try, but if that doesn't work I'll be switching back to PHP 5.2 until my host can get 5.3 fixed. I just don't want to do that because it means a load of extra work re-enabling uploads larger than 7mb, which was dead easy under PHP 5.3, but not so easy on earlier versions.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Renara » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Hmm, okay so that possible workaround didn't work quite as far around as I'd hoped, it works for most .swf files, but some files saved by newer versions of Flash seem to save a slightly different SWF format which doesn't work, bah, I'll give it another shot tomorrow, otherwise it's back to PHP 5.2 and 7mb max uploads for a little while.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Renara » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Alrighty, it seems the work-around has fixed most flashes on the board, please let me know if there are any problem files left! At the moment it seems that those of you using CS6 to build Flashes will need to leave the fancy new LMZA compression turned off, which is unfortunate as it makes file-sizes a lot smaller, but it also prevents dimension checks form working right. I'll take a look at that when I can, but thanks to Corta for figuring out what that particular problem was, as it means I can find out what's needed to fix it! :)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby 4access69 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Renara Wrote:Alrighty, it seems the work-around has fixed most flashes on the board, please let me know if there are any problem files left! At the moment it seems that those of you using CS6 to build Flashes will need to leave the fancy new LMZA compression turned off, which is unfortunate as it makes file-sizes a lot smaller, but it also prevents dimension checks form working right. I'll take a look at that when I can, but thanks to Corta for figuring out what that particular problem was, as it means I can find out what's needed to fix it! :)

Regarding LZMA compression, I have just checked the latest stable PHP source code (5.4.3) -- there is no sign of it in there yet.

Adding the code to decompress LZMA should be easy, but adding LZMA SDK to PHP would probably be hard and time-consuming if they accept the idea at all and if the license allows it. I'll see if I can find out something on that matter.
4access69

Return to General