Another Tail ( News Update April 10, 2014 )

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Another Tail ( Updated 9/13/2013 )

Postby AnotherArrow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 am

whatdontlookaatme Wrote:When I right click the link it says "Save target as..." instead of "Save link as...". I doubt it's a problem but once I save it the game goes straight to the pictures section right now. I already installed all the adobe stuff. This is probably a really dumb question but where do I save the file to access it

Firefox uses "Save link as...", I.E. uses Save target as, etc...
Anyway, just save the file (location doesn't really matter, your default folder should be fine). Make sure its saved as a .swf. If you get a file name that's a bunch of gibberish, I believe that's just LoK's cloud storage file naming... just save and name the file AnotherTail.swf.

If you click on the file and it opens in your browser, you're doing it wrong. It should be opening with the standalone adobe flash player. If not either open the flash player, and open the file through its menu, or modify which program is the default program that plays .swf files, and set that to Flash Player..

Biles Wrote:I get a black screen with a thin red box across reading: "This application is not correctly embedded (wrong wmode value)"
Please read the front page. ;) There is a reason it doesn't run in the browser.
AnotherArrow

Re: Another Tail ( Updated Oct 6 2013 )

Postby elchorizo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am

The game isn't working for me even when I open the file in a stand alone flash player.. Actually, it works up until after Fox says "EVASIVE MANEUVERS NOW". Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not.
elchorizo
Newly Registered

Postby Biles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Well then, I'm curious what this line of code "params.wmode = "direct"" does. Because I'm under the impression that if that line isn't enabled, it wouldn't allow all flash to play directly on the forum through the browsers, but as far as I can tell, other flash on this forum seems to run fine. So I can only guess that there must be some sort of code or something that you put in your flash to prevent it to be played directly through the browser on this forum.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby AnotherArrow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 pm

elchorizo Wrote:The game isn't working for me even when I open the file in a stand alone flash player.. Actually, it works up until after Fox says "EVASIVE MANEUVERS NOW". Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not.
You've reached the end of the demo... That demo is me setting up the framework code for things to come. I got a little bored and decided to recreate my AT:Version 2 intro for AT:Version 3. I just uploaded a modified version that clearly states the end of the demo now :p

Biles Wrote:Well then, I'm curious what this line of code "params.wmode = "direct"" does. Because I'm under the impression that if that line isn't enabled, it wouldn't allow all flash to play directly on the forum through the browsers, but as far as I can tell, other flash on this forum seems to run fine. So I can only guess that there must be some sort of code or something that you put in your flash to prevent it to be played directly through the browser on this forum.
By default, params.wmode is set to "window". "Direct" mode allows the browser to run content with hardware acceleration (i.e. using the GPU to render rather then the CPU), which is required when using "Starling". So, regular flash games can run in "window" mode just fine. Flash games powered by Starling can only run in "Direct" mode. Hope that clarifies things.

I've been looking for workarounds, but to no avail.
AnotherArrow

Postby Biles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Ah okay I get it now. Thank for the clarification. So the reason that you were using the game engine was to help optimize the performance. If that's the case, you can also optimize further by reducing anchor points in all of the made graphics as well if you haven't done so already.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby AnotherArrow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

No need. Starling uses sprites... therefore everything is basically converted to a bitmap format, removing all vector points. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is done because the GPU doesn't process vector images/symbols, but instead needs bitmap data to process faster. This is probably why Starling requires use of the GPU.

So yea, the number of vectors is a non factor now for performance, making my life that much easier... and will allow me to get much more detailed images with no performance hit.
AnotherArrow

Re: Another Tail ( Updated Oct 12 2013 )

Postby BigJoeHanson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 am

Could you by chance make a download link in a different format then "link.swf" at all? or maybe a playable version of this version in a browser format? I can't get adobe to run it so if you could, you would make me very happy (possibly others?)
BigJoeHanson
Newly Registered

Postby Borkenone » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:47 am

BigJoeHanson Wrote:Could you by chance make a download link in a different format then "link.swf" at all? or maybe a playable version of this version in a browser format? I can't get adobe to run it so if you could, you would make me very happy (possibly others?)

You shouldn't have a problem playing it if you have read the IMPORTANT! part.
And you know you have to right click the "link.swf" to download it right?
Borkenone

Postby AnotherArrow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:09 pm

BigJoeHanson Wrote:Could you by chance make a download link in a different format then "link.swf" at all? or maybe a playable version of this version in a browser format? I can't get adobe to run it so if you could, you would make me very happy (possibly others?)

Renara enabled direct mode for flash content, so you should be able to view my content in the browser now.
Enjoy
8-)
AnotherArrow

Re: Another Tail ( Updated Oct 18 2013 )

Postby Tovi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Oh wow. This is starting to come together now! Your story looks to be one of the most interesting ones on this entire site, and the same goes for the graphical appearance. But what I must really congratulate on is the slick controls. Not many games here has those focuses, and I adore how smooth it is to just jump around and run, truly amazing work there!

I eagerly await further updates, keep it up Arrow! :D
I make art sometimes! ^^
parsleyparakeet.tumblr.com
Tovi

Previous

Return to Creative Corner