My pros and cons

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

My pros and cons

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello there :) I randomly found this game a few hours ago, and was immediately impressed by what I seen :D First of all, I'm happy to see this is a project that's being constantly developed and actually done with passion, rather than a game you make once, post, and forget about (the fact that it has a forum is an example). Also, I totally jumped up when I noticed it's open source. I'm a developer for some open source games (that have easy codes, sadly not familiar with flash myself) so this is something I heavily appreciated. I also appreciate that it's free of annoying primitive sex-scared disclaimers, like most naughty art has and makes me feel like not playing at all. So overall, fantastic and splendid work everyone! This has made me happy :D

On the other side, I also had a few cons on my mind. My only real disappointment are the Zelda characters in version 0.2 (I initially played 0.1 first). I personally feel they ruin everything myself, and took the fun out for me. One reason is that I'm the type of furry that hates coming across non-furry stuff in such games (not sure if others feel the same way and can agree). I also don't see what human characters have to do in a game about Krystal. Perhaps characters similar to her would be a nice alternative... like siblings of Krystal that we could create for this story. Other than that, I clicked the other chars out of curiosity and noticed they're rather different games bundled with LOK (since the levels are also based on the character you select). I personally prefer games where the map set is fixed, and you choose the character as part of your configuration. "Legend of Krystal" also implies a single fixed story imo, and that the rest doesn't belong with it.

So yeah, I really hope these chars won't stay in 0.3 too. Just to be clear, I'm not complaining or anything (in the negative sense). Just saying my opinion on this, since I feel it completely ruins the beauty of the original project and what it's meant to be. But yes, I totally vote on making these characters a separate game if anything, and removing them from LOK completely. Until then I'll probably stick with 0.1 myself.

Otherwise, my only little objection was that the "exp XXX" tags don't make it obvious that's the amount of experience you need to yiff there. At first I clicked them thinking they give you that amount of exp, before I understood that's actually the amount of experience you need. Perhaps some hover pop-ups would be nice, or making these buttons red instead of blue. Also, I would love to see more species other than the lizards... like perhaps some cuter mystical species. Also more action with females as well :) I only played 0.1, so if that was done in 0.2 disregard this.

Many suggestions come to mind too, but I'll probably post them later. Other than that, congrats again for this project and keep it up! I'll certainly be around to see how it all goes ^_^
MirceaKitsune

Re: My pros and cons

Postby Fox Paradox » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:41 am

Well the Zelda and Peach part will most likely be removed in v3 and the team will just let the community work on those parts if they want.

BTW welcome to the forums! ^_^

Reminds me of the good old days of doing barrel-rolls and using bombs wisely.
Fox Paradox

Postby MirceaKitsune » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello, and thank you ^_^ And I'm glad that's being considered. Although some devs say they plan to be kept in 0.3 and further, so I guess we'll have to see what happens in future releases.
MirceaKitsune

Postby Renara » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Ah, you may be a little disappointed I'm afraid. We're sticking to PlayShapes' original story idea which is that three Nintendo worlds (Star Fox, Mario, Legend of Zelda, maybe others) are sort of linked thanks to the ever mischievous Midna. It's not really clear in the small sections in v0.1/v0.2 they're separate.

v0.3 won't do much more than introduce the basics and the start of the story (basically v0.2 Legend of Krystal section with a major overhaul) but future versions will start introducing the other worlds that will make the complete game.

However, I'm a furry myself, and though I'm not put off by non-furry characters, I am kind of conscious of what many people in the furry community prefer; it probably wouldn't be too hard to create a stripped down game that only features the segments that take place in Sauria as each world is essentially separate so they should technically be playable on their own with minor adjustments. Budding community members could then always expand Sauria into an even larger playable world to make it into a full game in its own right.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby MirceaKitsune » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Aah, I see then. Like I said in another topic, I don't necessarily suggest wiping the Zelda / Mario part completely if someone still wants them, but making them separate files. It can still be called LoK and distributed in the same archive. This would just allow players to choose exactly what they want. And although I just started learning flash (thanks to LoK :P ) I think it would make development easier too. Like fewer objects and frames per file, smaller file sizes, and everything can be maintained separately and more easily (contributors could also choose the areas they wish to work on better).

However, if the maps do plan to get linked (so you would be able to walk with Krystal to the starting area of Zelda), there could be a problem in achieving this. Perhaps there can still be some way to do it though. And once again, I'm not trying to go against an official decision or pester the team or anything (I've even been here for a day and don't know as much). It's just a wish and suggestion :) And I'm glad you understand my thoughts on this ^^

Btw, a small off-topic: I just realized you're the Renara I seen a few years ago on Second Life (from an item shop if I remember correctly). Never registered on your site but I remember the logo and name. So nice to meet you with this project then :D
MirceaKitsune

Postby Acidrayne360 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:07 pm

My dad once said to me, "Son, opinions are like asses, everyone has on and they all stink, some worse than others."
There is the truth here, that's your opinion, and I'm sure there is gonna be a bunch of other people here soon to throw in their opinion. :lol:
Acidrayne360

Postby Acidrayne360 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Well...Maybe not a BUNCH of people, now that I brought attention to it, but probably there will be a few.
Acidrayne360

Return to Legend of Krystal