Translation

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Translation

Postby Praak » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Is there any interest in translating the game? I offer German and Spanish.
Keep on the good work!
Praak
Newly Registered

Re: Translation

Postby Silent Torture » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm not on the team but I'd just like to ask- are you going to translate only the text? Because in another thread (Voice acting in discussion), they MAY add voice acting to the game... I'm not sure how far that goes but you may want to talk with mike20599 about that. Point is you may want to have some feminine voices on hand if they decide to voice over the entire game
Do you love donkeys?
I do.
I LUST for ASS!
Silent Torture

Postby Renara » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I think it's probably already been mentioned in the voice acting thread itself that it's unlikely we'll voice the whole game, it'd require far too many sound files, with them needing to be kept consistent etc., so sound effects voices and maybe the odd line here and there for effect if it really seems right.

Either way, the game will have full text dialogue as it needs to be playable with sound turned off (in case there's someone around you don't want to hear it ;)) and text is being handled in such a way that translation should be a simple matter of just going through a single file or set of files and changing the appropriate bits from English to whatever other language. We're not looking for translation just now of course, but once builds of the game do start appearing we'll make sure people know how to produce a translation and certainly will encourage them!
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Con_18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 pm

If there is going to be any translating, I can do french, but it would probably be easier to just use a translator website like this one: http://translate.google.com/#
that one is the best i've found.
Con_18

Postby Renara » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Well the problem is that it's better to have native speakers who can understand the English well enough to get the meaning, as there are many things that are otherwise lost in direct translation, not to mention that many direct translators still produce grammatical errors and odd, otherwise unnatural translations.

I mean you can take most hentai games translated from Japanese into English and see that all over the place :)
Translation works best when you have someone whose first language is the one you wish to translate into, but who also has the source language (English) as a second language, as they can fill in colloquialisms and phrases that don't translate properly. I mean even simple phrases can come out weird, as the last thing we want is for a phrase like "Suck my dick, bitch" to come across in another language as "Perform suction upon my penis, female dog" as it's not quite captured the feel of the original phrase :)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby haloman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Renara Wrote:Well the problem is that it's better to have native speakers who can understand the English well enough to get the meaning, as there are many things that are otherwise lost in direct translation, not to mention that many direct translators still produce grammatical errors and odd, otherwise unnatural translations.

I mean you can take most hentai games translated from Japanese into English and see that all over the place :)
Translation works best when you have someone whose first language is the one you wish to translate into, but who also has the source language (English) as a second language, as they can fill in colloquialisms and phrases that don't translate properly. I mean even simple phrases can come out weird, as the last thing we want is for a phrase like "Suck my dick, bitch" to come across in another language as "Perform suction upon my penis, female dog" as it's not quite captured the feel of the original phrase :)

you have a point... i've seen some pretty strange translations in my days...
Finishing the fight... one Confetti blast headshot at a time
haloman

Postby LiKrySo412 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I can translate it to spanish,(i live in latin america), and i agree with renara, there are some really weird translations out there. :lol:
Last edited by LiKrySo412 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiKrySo412

Postby nemesis_infernal » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Speaking of translation fail, here's one example:

"The more you fight, the more excited I get!" translated into "Your resistance only makes my dick harder!!!"

I'm sure some of you know this... hahaha...
I like your style,
I like your class,
But most of all,
I like your ass.
nemesis_infernal

Postby Xananos » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Sounds right to me, And I would certainly get hard to Pink's struggling.
Xananos

Postby Con_18 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:32 am

Renara Wrote:I think it's probably already been mentioned in the voice acting thread itself that it's unlikely we'll voice the whole game, it'd require far too many sound files, with them needing to be kept consistent etc., so sound effects voices and maybe the odd line here and there for effect if it really seems right.

What I meant was that I myself could translate it into french, since I was in french immersion from grade 7-12, so I could tell whats what. I was just suggesting the translator because it would be quick and easy :) .
Con_18

Postby Acidrayne360 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:29 am

My sister knows Chinese, considering she was a missionary in Hong Kong, but...The simple fact that she was a MISSIONARY there would most likely say she wouldn't help... :lol:
Acidrayne360

Postby Nightmenace » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:28 am

Renara Wrote:I mean even simple phrases can come out weird, as the last thing we want is for a phrase like "Suck my dick, bitch" to come across in another language as "Perform suction upon my penis, female dog"

i am currently laughing my ass off thanks to that LMFAO

lol most failed translations usually throw in words that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, sometimes they dont even translate the word at all! XD
Nightmenace

Postby toddymon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 pm

all your base are belong to us
toddymon

Postby krystal4ever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 pm

If you will make the game I can make an Turkish translation. I am trying to do some stuff in flash but can't do much yet. I can at least give you a translation.
krystal4ever
Newly Registered

Return to Legend of Krystal