Drawing Suggestions?

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Drawing Suggestions?

Postby Oakleaf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Hello guys.

A lot of people here have contributed to this project (or the Samus spinoffs) in some manner. Some people here have created extraordinarily awesome flashes while some were beginners, but improved quickly under the supervision of the LoK members. Some are restricted in their talents and choose rather to give critique or feedback to the content some of the members post. I'd put myself in the latter category, although I feel my abilities could be put to further use than just this. I'm no programmer nor am I any good with flash, but I am an artist student and an aspiring illustrator. My skills are not too shabby either although my computer is a tad slapdash which reduces the efficiency of my drawing tablet. I'd looove to give you some samples, but to be honest the only ones I could give you would immediately give off my identity since they already exist on the web with my name all over them. And I'd like to remain anonymous, at least for now :)

However, if there's anything you need drawn, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not going to promise anything, however. This should more be a suggestion thread rather than a commission thread, if you see the difference :) If inspiration hits me and something epic emerges that could be used to improve this project, it'd be a win-win!
"You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Oakleaf

Re: Drawing Suggestions?

Postby dirtyc101 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 pm

If you're serious, I'd love to have some help with my next project. It's not directly related to the stuff the LoK team is doing, but they're sure in the same genre. I'm currently putting together a beta using Playshape's models, which I expect to have out in a week or two. Assuming that all tests out well, I'd love to have someone willing to draw or help draw the models for me.

-DirtyC101
dirtyc101

Postby trunks2585 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:03 am

Oh cool, so you're going to college for the same stuff I did. (hopefully you don't get stuck job hunting for too long when you graduate like me). How many years have you been an art student?

To be honest P-toon wanted me to work on backgrounds and stuff for the prodject to take some of the workload off him (understandable, our head count of artists keeps bouncing up and down.) I'm not really comfortable doing backgrounds for the prodject, plus I don't have any good artist programs on my computer, and I don't plan on getting the expensive adobe products until I have a job and can make back the money I spent.

So long story short, would you like to give us some background samples? Start with something simple, like remaking the room krystal wakes up in.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Eggplants » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:26 am

yeah I have to agree with trunks because although I'd love to see more characters, I think it'd benefit to the overall quality of the game to have artists on different tasks to avoid style clashes. . . . . oh and WOO a possible new member for the team! I don't doubt you're abilities, I just hope you've got enough spare time to help out because if so then that'd be great!
I animate and draw stuff! Check out my gallery if you wish.
Also my email is [email protected]. I'm always happy to receive emails ;)
Eggplants
LoK Team Member

Postby pToon-T » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 am

If you feel like it, I would also like to see your interpretation of one of the characters, but this is just me spiking, and shouldn't be your focus.
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby Oakleaf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

Wa-hey! x) This received way more popularity than I anticipated. That's good though!

Dirtyc101, I'd rather help out more with the LoK project, if you don't mind x) it's just that it feels like everyone has forgotten about the original project and bounces off on their own little endeavors... which is nice, but yeah... I'd rather return to the original idea, sorry :P

Nice to hear you were an art student too, Trunks :) I'm in my third year, but I practiced about three years on my own before that so... Like I said, I'm not the best, but not too shabby either! (although I do believe myself to be the best in my class. This could more have to do with the fact that the other classmates are lazy than anything else x) )
Hm... backgrounds, eh? I'd have to say that I, like almost all other artists, are better with characters, but I could sure give it a try! The backgrounds look a bit slapdash. I could try and work on another version of the room she wakes up in, it'll be good practice for me anyhow. However, I will be gone over the weekend now and will probably have a hard time finding any spare time until... say wednesday? I'll try out some sketches during the weekend though.

pToon: Oooh! Interpretations are niiiice~ I could work on something like that too, if you'd like, but the room comes first. It'll probably take longer anyway.

Oh and Eggplants.. that may be a possibility. Let's stop those thoughts right there for now, however, and think more about this when you've seen the samples. Hey, right now I'm just a dude on the net. I could be a shitty drawer who hypes his abilities for all you know x)

EDIT: could someone kindly upload a picture of just that room? :)
Oakleaf

Postby pToon-T » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Here you go. Looking forward to see what you com up with.
Room.jpg
Room.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 8981 times
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby Oakleaf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Thank you! Oh dear, now that I focus on the background I really see why it should be spruced up a little x)
Oakleaf

Postby Con_18 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 am

Oakleaf Wrote:
I'd looove to give you some samples, but to be honest the only ones I could give you would immediately give off my identity since they already exist on the web with my name all over them. And I'd like to remain anonymous, at least for now :)

Now you got me wondering who you are :roll:
Con_18

Postby dirtyc101 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Oakleaf Wrote:Dirtyc101, I'd rather help out more with the LoK project, if you don't mind x) it's just that it feels like everyone has forgotten about the original project and bounces off on their own little endeavors... which is nice, but yeah... I'd rather return to the original idea, sorry :P

Haha, Honestly I'm in total agreement here. For some reason, I thought they were almost done with the drawing portion & were stuck on the conversion to AS3. If I had realized the LoK project still needed artists, I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Guess I need to lurk better. ;P

-DirtyC101!
dirtyc101

Postby Oakleaf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:44 am

'lo chaps. I'm back. Unfortunately I haven't started drawing that room yet, but I've got some sketches so once I decide to do it (tomorrow, hopefully) it won't take much time.

Oh Con_18, don't flatter me by thinking I'm some famous artist cowering under the cloak of anonymity! x) I am no one special really, it's just that... well, people know how to google, if you get my point x)

Thanks for the understanding DirtyC101.
Oakleaf

Postby Oakleaf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Hello again. I'm working on the room as we speak, just wanted to let you know. Aaaand I also know which character to make my own version of :)
Oakleaf

Postby MrBear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:27 pm

What do you mean by your own character? Are you making a flash? Can't wait to see the room.
MrBear

Postby Oakleaf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 am

No, I'm simply going to draw my own interpretation of one of the characters already present in the game. It's not going to be in flash as I know close to nothing about the darned program (a slight exaggeration, perhaps, but still). It will all be drawn with the trusty old photoshop :)
Oakleaf

Postby Oakleaf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:41 am

Oookay so the room is almost complete. I'm almost completely done with the lineart and all that's left is coloring.

One teeny question I need answered though: Should I draw the chairs and the table as a separate picture since they are in the foreground? Or should I just bash it all together in one picture? Either way works for me, it's just a matter of what is best for the animator :)
Oakleaf

Postby pToon-T » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:18 am

The way I draw the background is I do a Pencil Sketch on paper, keeping in mind foreground, middleground and background, scan that in to photoshop, I keep a lot of the things like tables, chairs, every thing that's in the foreground and other stuff on separate layers and draw in what's behind them so I can play around with the composition, plus it easier for me to draw that way, and I just present it as one picture so we can get a good feel for the room.

You say you're almost done withe the lineArt, could you post that when that is ready?
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby MrBear » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:45 am

Yo Oakleaf, is that you in your avatar?
MrBear

Postby Oakleaf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Alright, it shall be done as you say, pToon :) Sure, I can upload the lineart.

Erm.. I suppose that I chose it because of the semblance, MrBear, but the picture isn't originally mine x)
Oakleaf

Postby Oakleaf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Okay, so here's what I've been working on. No color and only lineart makes it look a little messy, mind you. I kinda wanted to go for the homey feeling since it is the first room you wake up in. I wanted it to look a little more inviting, it's a shame one can't see the "LoK - Welcome" text on the rug I added because the table is in the way :( Ah, no matter! I added some things on the walls and the pillars in the corners and in the ceiling are supposed to be made of wood ( a bit hard to see due to no coloring).

I must admit I didn't really go all out on this picture, but that is because: A) The backgrounds aren't the main focus, so overworking them will just be a distraction while playing. B) I was a little lazy, and I don't wanna lose my motivation by using it all up on one background.

Well, what do you think? Is it completely worthless? x)
Attachments
RoomReworked.jpg
Yaaay! The candle on the right wall would look its best with an added fire animation, btw x)
Oakleaf

Postby haloman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Oakleaf Wrote:Okay, so here's what I've been working on. No color and only lineart makes it look a little messy, mind you. I kinda wanted to go for the homey feeling since it is the first room you wake up in. I wanted it to look a little more inviting, it's a shame one can't see the "LoK - Welcome" text on the rug I added because the table is in the way :( Ah, no matter! I added some things on the walls and the pillars in the corners and in the ceiling are supposed to be made of wood ( a bit hard to see due to no coloring).

I must admit I didn't really go all out on this picture, but that is because: A) The backgrounds aren't the main focus, so overworking them will just be a distraction while playing. B) I was a little lazy, and I don't wanna lose my motivation by using it all up on one background.

Well, what do you think? Is it completely worthless? x)

Uh... not at all... :shock: Thats awsome! now i wanna wake up there!
Finishing the fight... one Confetti blast headshot at a time
haloman

Next

Return to Legend of Krystal