Game Chapters

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Game Chapters

Postby maxy93 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 am

what about instead of uploading the whole game , which might have a big size and take time to load , you guys upload chapters of the game , like plots which involve specific characters which when you finish leads to the other chapter .

and there is a thread name "peach content concept"
i might like to add here that maybe if krystal meets someone and we have to help them , we get to play the other character in their story .

for example we meet peach and she tells her story , we get to play her and see what happened before the problem began and reach to the point where peach meets krystal . a sort of flashback .
maxy93

Re: Game Chapters

Postby Renara » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:28 am

It may be a possibility, though at this stage we don't really know how big the game is likely to be in terms of file-size :)
Flash certainly does have the ability to download content on demand though, so it's possible to create a network "lite" version that downloads as required, and a full size standalone version for example, but only if there's a need to.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby maxy93 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 am

thanks for the answer :)
maxy93

Postby Mechanios » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Now that would be awesome. "Expansions" if you will.
Mechanios

Postby DemonFiren » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Like...like 'The Legend of Krystal 0.3, Version 2, Chapter 7'. Anything comes to mind?
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby Renara » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Wanted to bump this, as a lot of the Furry community at least is abuzz with High Tail Hall finally being updated. However, Crowchild's gone for a very odd mechanism of serving content, as it seems to be downloaded and processed as bitmap data, rather than flash-objects. This is an odd choice as it takes a lot longer to load, actually bloats file size (the full HTH2 in its current form is about 260mb compressed!) and results in generally pixelated, poorly scaling artwork that's very laggy.

It's especially odd as Flash can load Flash objects from other files quite easily (in fact it provides a built-in mechanism for handling runtime objects), and a lot of downloadable Hentai games use this method in fact. So, whenever LoK reaches a stage that it needs to think about splitting into multiple files, then it'll be using good old fashioned Flash objects as they're not only smaller in file-size (download faster) but render a lot better. It does confuse me why HTH has gone the route it has, as there's no advantage that I can see, as fancy focus and blur effects are all do-able in ActionScript, a little laggy, but at least they leave the option to just switch them off for better performance.

Anyway, I got e-mailed a question asking about whether LoK could end up like HTH (regarding the pixelation/performance) so I thought I'd answer it here since it's a relevant topic. HTH is still well worth checking out btw, I just hope they switch to pure Flash in future, as the current state is a bit weird, some areas do seem to have improved though.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Thaedael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Unless I misunderstood your jargon: The hyperlink keeps changeing with every click, each hyperlink being a different swf application no?
Thaedael

Postby Renara » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Thaedael Wrote:Unless I misunderstood your jargon: The hyperlink keeps changeing with every click, each hyperlink being a different swf application no?

Well, that's the way HTH seems to be doing it.

However, it's possible instead to have a single .swf file, that downloads the contents of other (specially built) .swf files into itself. So for example when you first started a game it would download the Arwing attack sky background, the Arwings, and the related characters and scenes, once that's done it would download the first sharp-claw village area and discard any unused Arwing stuff to make space. Just as an example, it's possible it could do any such downloads in much larger steps such as the whole village in one go, or even a whole world, in order to avoid downloading and re-downloading all the time. I mean it's going to be some time before it's even really an issue, but it's relatively simple to do :)
If the game does get to that stage, then at the very worst it means that if you want to play offline you'll have to download a folder of files rather than just a single file with everything in it. Even if the game can still all go within a single file then it's always possible it might need putting into separate files for playing online anyway, as it would eat up less bandwidth than having people download the whole thing every time.

In any event, it's something that should already be solved to some degree, just haven't reached a stage where I can (or really need to) test it, but it hopefully means things are ready if it ever is needed!
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Thaedael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 pm

However what they did would make sense if they wish to say.... update a single character in a single room to have multiple characters, without having to re-upload the whole thing no? However it makes it sound like you said you can download all these different swf files, and manage them better without having to have as much load time, however how would this interact with being able to update one single area more efficiently?

I might understand the way they did and for what reason, but as with anything i am sure there will always be a less roundabout way.
Thaedael

Postby Renara » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Thaedael Wrote:However what they did would make sense if they wish to say.... update a single character in a single room to have multiple characters

True, but the frequency of game updates versus user downloads is extremely low, so it'd be an odd choice to make for that reason as the time to rebuild the .swf(s) and upload them would be very little compared to time spent by users downloading it all the time. In any event, it doesn't address the problem of HTH being weirdly pixelated and blocky, which was the main question I was trying to address, as regardless of the way the .swf files are chained together, it's still very odd that they're not just using native flash objects for everything, which LoK definitely will.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby TheDaughterOfHades14 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:33 am

Renara Wrote:It may be a possibility, though at this stage we don't really know how big the game is likely to be in terms of file-size :)
Flash certainly does have the ability to download content on demand though, so it's possible to create a network "lite" version that downloads as required, and a full size standalone version for example, but only if there's a need to.

I know you may get this question alot, but when will you guys actually finish the game other than updating it?
Seriously gonna stop being Rape-Bait

Y U NO HAZ SEX WIT ME ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
The Daughter Of Hades has reached 666 posts...

Till we meet again in the after life...
TheDaughterOfHades14

Postby 8749 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Ahaha, the most frquently mentioned and frowned upon question in the LOK forums. I may be speaking out of my should-be position, but the current outlook is that there will be no due date in the near future. The team has kinda lost motivation on things, and although I have some suggestions and advices I can make I presume I have missed the correct chance in doing so.

Everyone who lurks or joined here are leechers, we expect nothing but for the meal to be pre-made and delievered to us. The team who took up on finishing this were more so interested in having the story continue and playing it than actually making it, just like everyone else, they aren't being paid to do this, the best theyd get would be a thankyou and good work from maybe 100 users on this forum. I've done an amount of game making in other area's- I'd know, it is incredibly hard work, especially when the creators get nothing out of it.

I'm hoping that we can receive a 0.25 out soon, just to wrap things up and let the leechers suck out a bit of blood. This way everyone would be content and the team can take a proper break without thinking about it- cause when u take an unofficial break and the projects on ur mind, you just dont feel like doing it anymore, if im making sense.

But yeah, just suggestions, and although late to mention, Thanks for everything you've done and tried to do uptill now.

might make thankyou thread in the forums sometimes, i uno.

Return to Legend of Krystal