Animation Assistance

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Animation Assistance

Postby SteelSaurus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 am

Alright, I've been trying my hand at animation. I'm down right horrible. The onenterflash guide was fun, but no help to me at all. Seriously. My attempt went for about 13 frames before I realized, "This isn't good enough to be called crap..." Not going to post the animation for help with fixing it, let alone commentary. It's de-crap-lorable. Can anyone give me some hints at how to animate, group, layer, symbolize, something the LoK models?
I'll get right on it! Eventually...
SteelSaurus

Re: Animation Assistance

Postby pToon-T » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 am

A Question, have you done any animation or do you have any knowledge about animation? if not, first the definition of animation I go by "The act, process, or result of imparting life, interest, spirit, motion, or activity" most people how start animation seem to think that "motion and activity" are the end product of animation but this are best considered the tools of it, I would suggest you start with picking up a copy of "The illusion of life" and "The animators survival kit" this books gos through the basics tools of animation wary well, and the survival kit also comes in lecture form. as for the technician aspects of animating in adobe Flash, I can't be of any help, as what little I've used it has shown me that it is one of the worst drawing and animation programs out there, Toon Boom Animate/Studio is a much better program in all respects, but doesn't have ActionScript so it's no good for game dev.
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby SteelSaurus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

I've done a fair amount of tween animation, and I've done one project in getting a wheel to roll left and right by pressing a button back in high school. That's about it.

Getting both books now through methods we've been told not to mention.

I actually use Macromedia Flash if it makes any difference. But I do have ToonBoom, it's just a matter of installing it. Is there anyway to take animation made in ToonBoom and add scripting in another program?
SteelSaurus

Postby pToon-T » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 pm

SteelSaurus Wrote:I've done a fair amount of tween animation, and I've done one project in getting a wheel to roll left and right by pressing a button back in high school. That's about it.

thats good so you're familiar with some of the terminology I guess, and when you read the books you can easily figure out how it applies. I haven't done that much animation my self, seeing as I'm more of a 3d modeler then an animator.
but if you post what you do I'm more then willing to try to help you out.

SteelSaurus Wrote:I actually use Macromedia Flash if it makes any difference. But I do have ToonBoom, it's just a matter of installing it. Is there anyway to take animation made in ToonBoom and add scripting in another program?

Macromedia Flash and what I call adobe flash seem to be the same thing(if I'm not mistaken). I would install ToonBoom and do the animations in that program, you should learn to animate before you learn to get around Flashs shitty way of doing thing, I fond ToonBoom to be easy enough to learn.
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby Haldor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 pm

I tried to do some animating, but whenever I try to open PlayShape's (Or any) .fla file, it says "Unexpected file type."

Is this because i'm still using Macromedia Flash MX 2004?
"We could just... run away?"
Haldor

Postby SteelSaurus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 am

So Flash is essentially crap to Animate with and it's only triumph over ToonBoom is the fact that it can script. Alright, I can dig it.

I'll let these two finish downloading. Browse through them some on the weekend. And try out ToonBoom next week maybe Tuesday or Wenesday. I'll see if I have something to post come Friday or Saturday.

Thank you PToon.
SteelSaurus

Postby Renara » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Haldor Wrote:Is this because i'm still using Macromedia Flash MX 2004?

Almost certainly, the v0.2 file format is for Adobe Flash Professional CS4 :P
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Haldor » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Well I was thinking of upgrading, and now I think I will :)

I also have a shiny new graphics tablet (Small but cheap) which i'm enjoying messing around with!
"We could just... run away?"
Haldor

Postby pToon-T » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 pm

SteelSaurus, this guy has some good tuts on Toon Boom Animate and he is the one responsible fore the Bitey/Dashkin cartoons: http://www.youtube.com/user/chluaid#p/u/22/v41UKjqTIt8
pToon-T
LoK Team Member

Postby SteelSaurus » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:49 am

pToon-T Wrote:SteelSaurus, this guy has some good tuts on Toon Boom Animate and he is the one responsible fore the Bitey/Dashkin cartoons: http://www.youtube.com/user/chluaid#p/u/22/v41UKjqTIt8
Bitey a in Bitey of Brackenwood? Essentially what made me go out and...procure Macro Flash 8 in the first place? I am KeepVid'ing the movie at once.

Also, Haldor is having import problems because he's using Flash 2004. I'm pretty sure my Flash 8 is more advanced, but would I still experience problems (I may have and just not have recognized them)
SteelSaurus

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:37 am

hi im new to this animation stuff, the only thing ive ever done tht comes close to this is Pivot :L i would find it extremely helpful if someone could post a video of them making a legend of krystal animation? i have a trial version of flash cs5, does it have to be cs4?
Anonymous

Return to Legend of Krystal