RPG maker games on Mac using Wine

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

RPG maker games on Mac using Wine

Postby BlindEye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:21 pm

If you could, please help me!
Does anyone know how to run RPG-maker games on Mac through Wine?
I install the Runtime package through Wine, but the game still doesn't run.
It just displays a black screen and an error. :cry:
BlindEye
Newly Registered

Re: RPG maker games on Mac using Wine

Postby demise23 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 pm

What does the error message say? We can't really help you if you don't tell us what the problem is. Also, what is Wine? I'm a PC user, so I don't know what Wine is. This seems more like a question for the general forum, though.
Yes, This is Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness. So what if I play Yu-Gi-Oh? At least I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, or break the law!
demise23

Re: RPG maker games on Mac using Wine

Postby Renara » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:54 am

WINE Is Not an Emulator; basically it's a platform independent implementation of all major Windows APIs, allowing you to run .exe programs on non-Windows systems.

Most issues with WINE can be solved with the wine tricks script, but you need to know what to install. Do RPG maker games require anything specific to be installed such .NET, Mono or similar?

If you aren't already BlindEye, then I'd recommend using the Wineskin Winery app for Mac to work with WINE, as it provides easier access to wine tricks, and also a decent debug mode that can let you see more of the WINE logs for debugging any possible issues. Lastly, are you trying to run a specific RPG maker game? I tried one of them a while ago but didn't bother to explore further when I realised it wouldn't run, but I could have another go and see if I can find out what's wrong.

Otherwise emulation may be the only option, but I can't say which one would work best. Windows emulation has come a long way, but it's still in a kind of buggy flux at the moment where each emulator runs different things, though I've usually found WINE to be the best option for nearly everything, but there are some things it just can't run yet either.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Return to Legend of Krystal