Fetishes and 3rd parties

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Fetishes and 3rd parties

Postby Sainiku » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I've seen a lot of threads asking for specific fetishes in both discussion and creative corner. I've seen a few discussions about "we shouldn't have this because it'll hurt the already niche audience this is aimed for" and similar problems. I've also seen members talk about what i'm about to post, but i feel it deserves it's own thread, as i feel it's such an important idea.

I do feel that we shouldn't 'exclude' certain content, simply because some people wouldn't like it (scat, guro, ect...). At the same time, the idea of forcing these 'Specialized' content is, in my opinion, a very very bad idea. Many people have already come to the conclusion that the most efficient way to deal with these problems, is giving the user options for the content. Another flash game some of you may be aware of, Slave Maker, uses a similar idea with their tentacle content. In the options page, they simply have an option that will allow or disallow the content from showing up.

I believe this 'content options' page would be an ideal way to be able to have everyone happy. I believe many will agree with that fact. What it honestly comes down to is, what the creator(s) him/her/them-selve(s) feel like implementing. Sure, i have my own fetishes i'd like to have in the game, and would be happy to create and share... but if the creators (i'm just going with plural) doesn't want to have to deal with looking at it all the time while working on the game, then it'll be tough-noodles for me. At the same time, i feel that creating patched versions if my specific fetish won't be in the game, would be fine as well.

In all, i say that it's fine to ask for these 'specialized' things, and it's also fine to make and submit them. The only thing i'm afraid that may happen with this, is too many people getting frustrated if their work is being 'denied', and taking it out on the creators. Simply put, i think there should be rules put in place.

What rules i believe should be set in place: (remember, these are just MY opinions on the subject.)
1. The creators decisions are the final word.
2. The creators reserve the right to deny anything submitted, and any serious complaints would be seriously ignored. Unless the third party is paying the creators to put these into the game, that 3rd party doesn't have the right to complain about this open-source free project.
3. *I believe that there should be a list of things beforehand, that if there is content the creators simply will not deal with (possible items: guro, vore, loli, shota, beatiality, ect...), that these items should not be submitted, and would be ignored if they were submitted. If the creators dislike the subject enough, they won't put it in. However, private modifications should definitely still be allowed in the creative corner, as long as proper warnings proceed the file. :)

I've noticed that i haven't seen a rule set such as this around, but if i simply overlooked it, forgive me. I've noticed many open-ended projects such as this go bad because of people complaining that their content wasn't accepted for some reason or another. I'm just suggesting that a guideline like this should be decided by the creators and officially posted, to avoid future problems.

So, in short:
Optional/fetish/specialized content should be optional. An options page would be a great way to do this, and to be clear, i'm not the one who originally thought of this. ^^;
Some rules should be set into place, if only to avoid problematic situations in the future when it comes to 3rd parties.

and of course, this is all just in my honest opinion. I've been watching this project ever since it was thrown up onto paws.ru, and i believe a lot of great work is going on here. I'm looking forward to contributing as much as i can, and i hope for great things for this project. :D

Edit: Feel free to correct me on anything and everything, including grammar and spelling. Sadly, I've lived in America all my life, so my English isn't perfect. (sadly, that is only half a joke. XD)
"Whatever. I'll just eat you up. Bones and all!" -Juri
Sainiku

Re: Fetishes and 3rd parties

Postby DemonFiren » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Hm...about the creators' right of ignorance...they stated that this is a project in which content decisions are made democratically, therefore it is more of a veto for emergency cases, which effectively does not lessen their rights, powers and abilities.
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby trunks2585 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 pm

pretty good topic. I beleive by now it's been publicly stated that we do have plans to use a 'options' menu of sorts in the beginning of the game, if this wasn't stated....well i'm pretty sure the other developers won't hang me over that.

Rules: while i thought they were fairly common sense it would be a good idea to have a set of rules to abide by and acknowledge. You mentioned the thing about people getting upset when their ideas aren't used or not i the way they wanted them to, a situation we've had with the 'krystal dialog' thread as you probably saw, and does show that even tough things should be common sense, they arn't always so. I'd like to see what the other team members think about putting together a set of forum/submission rules.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Sainiku » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:12 pm

yupyupyupyupyup. :)

I've been noticing a few threads still talking about some of these topics, so i figured i'd put this info in it's own thread for everyone to see, rather then it be buried within other threads. ^^
Sainiku

Postby DemonFiren » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Though I'm merely a civilian, I greatly support the ideas of a locked 'Rules' thread, as usual in most other forums. As a subtitle/description you could use 'We try to keep these to a minimum and most are common sense.' or something similar, this will help not to scare people off.
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby Sainiku » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm

DemonFiren Wrote:Though I'm merely a civilian, I greatly support the ideas of a locked 'Rules' thread, as usual in most other forums. As a subtitle/description you could use 'We try to keep these to a minimum and most are common sense.' or something similar, this will help not to scare people off.

Agreed.
I've worked in IT and QA departments before. two thing that i learned in both, is that common sense will always have exceptions, and that you can break anything if you try hard enough, including common sense. ^^;
Sainiku

Postby nebrose » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:16 am

meh my #1 rule is don't piss off the admin and his/her friends, always a good one to follow... unless the admin is a total jerk which, fortunantly, is not the case here.
i only give base ideas, ones that can be built off of, not ones with an end in sight. so don't ask me to give further detail on my ideas.
yes my avatar is a prostoss dark archon.
nebrose

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 am

yeah we try not to be assholes, unlike some other big name developers/artists that are internet popular in their own areas. I remember there was one guy who's made other h games and said this (playshapes game) was utter shit, he say the same thing about the legend of k game, so I'm hoping when we upgrade to version0.3 even that individual has to admit it looks good, although i doubt his critism is worth anything since he just said the game sucks and didn't expand on why.

And god forbid we ever get that high and mighty attitude, nothing worse than some popularity going to your head.

Sainiku i sent Ren a message about the rules thing, hopefully something will get posted in the next few days.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Sainiku » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:55 am

trunks2585 Wrote:yeah we try not to be assholes, unlike some other big name developers/artists that are internet popular in their own areas. I remember there was one guy who's made other h games and said this (playshapes game) was utter shit, he say the same thing about the legend of k game, so I'm hoping when we upgrade to version0.3 even that individual has to admit it looks good, although i doubt his critism is worth anything since he just said the game sucks and didn't expand on why.

I doubt someone like that would take back what he said. But you can always dream, am i right? :p
Sainiku

Postby Visplane_Overflow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am

Sainiku Wrote:I doubt someone like that would take back what he said. But you can always dream, am i right? :p

A rather jejune thing to dream about. I fully support the idea of the artists maintaining a fascist rule over the project, as that is their prerogative, but if you insist on being democratic and pleasing the public, then I also must fully support the options menu idea. And pretty much everything Sainiku said.
Visplane_Overflow

Postby DemonFiren » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Now, now. Individual rights don't mean anything in the age of democracy. And if I recall correctly, they try to be moderate and to respect our opinions, in which they fully succeeded so far. So please, Visplane, don't try and heat things up. That issue could be easily dealt with, and I believe it is.
DemonFiren

Postby Renara » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, I think it's been stated elsewhere publicly as Trunks says, but I'll clarify; the current focus for the team is on the straight audience, so there'll be straight interactions, probably lesbian scenes too, with maybe some bonus scenes with some of the less objectionable fetishes. This decision was made for a variety of reasons, chief among which is to keep our workload as streamlined as possible so that we can actually finish releases. Additionally we are working with what the majority of people will like, I mean, if you're here then chances are you liked what's in the game already!

However, the game engine is being designed to support content of all different types, and we have discussed internally how we can present options in a standardised way. While we may not work on some fetish content ourselves, that doesn't mean we won't be able to include content produced by the community, provided it meets our standards and is full compatible, in fact we'll be encouraging content contribution :)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm

yeah don't forget, once version0.3 comes out that's where you guys can REALLY start to shine. However we haven't seen a whole lot of things we could easily add to the game, there's a few things i've seen made with the current sprites and we've got some talented people toying around with some things in the CC area, i just hope once we get version0.3 out they toy around with things even more.

oh and we'll be crediting all scenes to their creators that arn't made by us, so don't worry we're not going to claim credit for work we didn't do.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Untamed » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:11 am

Maybe we could have a sub-forum for all the alternative fetish creations (eg scat, watersports, guro.. etc) so that they dont get mixed up with all the "Normal" creations.
Untamed

Postby NothingNever » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Just remember, the greatest gift to humanity is Free WIll. :)
NothingNever

Postby Raziel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Unless the third party is paying the creators to put these into the game, that 3rd party doesn't have the right to complain about this open-source free project.

Newbie here. I gave the faqs/stickies a quick once over but:

1) whats the 3rd party policy?

2) who does payment go to (and generally how much)

and

3) basically taking from the above quote if you pay the creators you can have just about anything reasonable in the game?
Raziel

Postby trunks2585 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:34 pm

answers to your question raziel

1. 3 party policy is basically you, the community make some scenes that you like, we the developers, will fit it in somewhere, and give credit to you for doing the work/coming up with the idea (we may have to tweak your animations or something to flow with the rest of the games animations same movements just more or less fluid with the rest of the games movements). We are doing a lot of our own work and scene designs, but if the community is like 'hey i have this really nice masterbation scene for you guys to use.' then we may add it in somewhere with full credit to the creator.

2. we arn't accepting money, we could get sued over that for using an existing franchises characters.

3. see number 2's answer.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby DemonFiren » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Brings up another question:

If the source code is downable for anyone, then is the program freeware or beerware?
DemonFiren

Postby Renara » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:51 pm

DemonFiren Wrote:If the source code is downable for anyone, then is the program freeware or beerware?

Open source will cover it best. Remember people are putting work into this so the last thing we'll want is to be ripped off completely by someone just taking the free game and trying to sell it or whatever, though even realistically speaking that's likely to happen in some form judging by how liberally some people interpret the use of flash files.

Freeware implies everything is fair game, I think we'll be more likely to require at the very least credit where it's due for relevant artwork, game engine, game design etc. Beyond that though for people just creating new content to add on, or alternate versions then there won't be any issues, as that's exactly what we want to see :)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Return to Legend of Krystal