Would you like a speaking Krystal ?

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Must we add written lines for the Krystal character ?

Yes. By all means. And multiple choices too so that we can choose how the character will change through the story.
54%
Yes. It adds more depth to the character. But I prefer one story path without choices.
2%
Maybe. I'm not sure that it will be a great addition to the game.
22%
Definitely no. I prefer to imagine what Krystal is thinking through her enslavement.
22%

Total votes : 134

Would you like a speaking Krystal ?

Postby Elgregou » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Because it seems that posting in the "All ideas thread" is prohibited when we have ideas that are longer than usual, 'm posting my suggestion here so that people can discuss about it and start a poll.

I have one suggestion please. Let krystal say some lines in action. Sometimes, text can be as much exciting as graphics. It could also help to develop the story.
Let's say for example that, as we know, Krystal start as a shy fox-lady enslaved. Depending on her choices during the story, she could turn into a submissive slave, a dominative one, a complete slut, or anything else (even fall in love with the big dinosaur, or be a cum addict slave).
It could go very well with the idea of multiple actions for one scene. Imagine the current threesome with the lezard girl. Currently, Krystal is jumping in the action, making out with the Sharpclaw as well as the girl. BUT, let's say that Krystal never made love with another female. Hence, during (or before) the event there could be a choice : make love with the lezard girl, or try to run.
This is a very simple example, but we can imagine many situations and many different courses leading to multiple story paths.
We can also imagine that the player decides himself Krystal's reactions after sex. Let's say that, after her first sperm swallowing, we can read Krystal thoughts. That could be like this :
" Oh my, he forced me to swallow this gooey white stuff. It feels so...
1) Gross. I feel like I will puke.
2) Not so bad. Maybe I'll try to do more sex from now on.
3) Exquisite ! I want more ! As soon as I find Fox, I will suck him without advertising.
4) Oh god... It's... It feels so wonderful. How could I have lived without tasting this ? From now on, I only want to feed on sperm !! Fox will wait, I want to swallow every kind of different sperm from all different species ! "

-----> Of course, as simplistic as it is, it could lead to different things. Let's say that :
1) lead to a submissive path where Krystal is forced to have sex against her will. She is a sex toy, but kind of agrees with her condition. Hence, her lines during some events will change, or even these same events (or other ones). She will always be submissive and crying during sex (even if, somewhere, she begins to know that she loves this...)
2) Krystal is interested in finding new ways of pleasuring herself. hence, she will be curious about sex and will not mind trying new stuff, like anal, lesbianism, public masturbation, etc...
3) Krystal become a slut who fucks whatever crosses her path. She always want to find Fox, but now she is a dominative female. this will be her who will jumps on Sharpclaws and whatever, but she is so agressive during sex, so wild that some of the creatures begin to fear her. She would have to force her way to have sex with some people, but she defintely will have sex with them before continuing her quest.
4) In that case, Krystal becomes not far from a crazy female. She only thinks of cum, only lives for it, nothing else matters. She doesn't wash herself anymore after sex, and love to be covered in sperm and walk like this. she has two dreams. the first is that EVERYBODY knows that she is the biggest slut in the world. that's why she walks with near to no clothes, and ALWAYS covered in sperm. She only feeds herself with cum, etc... Her second dream is, after hearing that a massive creature withthe biggest penis ever seen exists in the kingdom, that she becomes her sex toy only to drench herself in her cum eveyday for the rest of her life. If choosing this route, the goal of the story could be completely different, because Krystal would not try anymore to find Fox but instead would try to find the creature.

Okay. That's my idea. Some suggestions are maybe extreme, but it shows that, if you make multiple choices and dialogues, the game has infinite possibilities.

Anyway, please, write some (if not many) lines for Krystal, in order to show her mind progression. Currently, the problem I have with the game is that I have the feeling to lead a fox-lady doll without emotions, from one sex scene to another. Moreover, different lines and multiple paths will add, for sure, a big replay value.
Elgregou

Re: Would you like a speaking Krystal ?

Postby LOKfan69 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 pm

I think it really depends, I like how it is set up ATM with a silent Krystal. The text was really hot for bowsers castle, but for me it would be tiresome if for every little sex scene there was a bunch of dialogue boxes to shift through. I would rather see more diverse sex sounds being put into the mix (because its always kinda lame when you have to listen to the same moans and squishy noises for every scene, especially when they just loop and loop etc.)

But if on occasion we get some text for the more meaningful and intense scenes, I could see it being a pretty nice addition.
LOKfan69

Postby trunks2585 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I'll say it again here. i'm against a lot of dialog, i'm the one that's going to be writing all this stuff up anyways. I'll do it, don't get me wrong this is being run like a democracy, if we vote to give her lines, i'll give her lines.

As i previously said i'm in favor of the 'silent hero' role or mostly silent with some changes (for example giving her some dialog choices when general scales asks her to beg for his cock). Otherwise I feel she doesn't need lines or they should be used sparingly.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby DemonFiren » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Allow me to repeat my opinion as well: To me, Krystal appears more as the intelligent being she is if she has the power of written voice, plus some well-placed doses of text can add flavour and effect to the scenes. Also, I think the player should be able to choose her path, keep it simple, though, we don't want to burden our programmers - they do enough for us!
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby dollspit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Since I'm not too keen on Krystal having an actual voice, I'll assume you mean text only.

If that is the case, I would actually enjoy some kind of conversation system. I agree with LOKfan69 though, it could become a bit contrived. I'm not too sure how much I'd like to click through pages of options. It could be applicable at key moments in the storyline.

Perhaps she could be forced to make a choice between an expendable character getting fucked or her having to bear the burden herself. Either choice would lead to a sex scene, but one would have greater consequences than the other in the long run.

It wouldn't be particularly difficult to program since essentially its just a number of buttons leading to different scenes. I actually see something like this being inevitable down the line for this project. The development team has been saying how the future installments will have choices. I'm sure they're referring to content choices more than story/dialogue, but it would be much more interesting if one could make these choices in game rather than in a disembodied menu.
BTW, I'm the resident wannabe. :\
Image<==Source
dollspit

Postby Elgregou » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:39 pm

I never liked the idea of a silent protagonist in RPG or whatever. For me, it's just a way programmers and scenarists have found to avoid doing more work (no offense for you Trunks, but that's what I really think). Cloud from FF7 and Fei from Xenogears, for example, have way more depth than Serge from Chrono Cross or the silent protagonist of Persona games. And that's why they became so famous and loved by the communauty on the net.

EDIT : And yes Dollpit, I mean text only, not voice (except for the... orgasms in sex events).
Elgregou

Postby Kalypso » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 pm

dollspit Wrote: I'm sure they're referring to content choices more than story/dialogue, but it would be much more interesting if one could make these choices in game rather than in a disembodied menu.

Precisely--that subject is something entirely separate, though.

There will be some choices in-game for the most part, that may determine something, but won't determine a different ending. I'm pretty much with Trunks on this one. You've got to remember, Krystal is quite the stoic, and adding text based dialogue boxes everywhere in a sex game could get a little boring and, to those who find it beneficial, will find it to be quite ... strange. However, I could see some form of stat-based process that could be result of how she has sex--and effects her nature by a skill-formed referendum. However, I think that it will be a little too much work to have multiple endings--and games with multiple endings that aren't strung from the beginning are usually are a huge disappointment. Remember Fallout 3? Now, games like Mass Effect, with a different ending due to the choices you made about yourself when you began the game--and the changes to you in-game--a lot better, right?

I'm not saying that we're doing something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3--I can even tell you that nothing's confirmed on that matter, and usually I'll just say "you'll find out soon." Whether this goes through or not is purely Democracy.
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Samus Platformer Team Member
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Postby trunks2585 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:53 pm

couple of points i wanna bring up, we've gotten a lot of votes on the poll, but not everyone is speaking up, please i urge everyone (and this goes for any poll threads) if you vote, leave a comment on your thoughts, why did you vote for that?

in response to elgregou, i agree a character with dialog is just as interesting and memorable, but a character without dialog is just as good. Again my point of mario and link, and it really comes down to the style of the game as well i think.

Anyways from the looks of the votes it looks like we'll be leaning towards 'some dialog' not a ton of it.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Elgregou » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 am

Link and Mario are famous not because they are good characters with depth, but because they are the heroes of games with a fantastic gameplay.

Back to the subject, I don't ask many lines ; I would not like the game to be like a book ! But some lines, just for adding something to the story. Krystal being the heroine of the game, it's too bad (in my opinion of course) she ends as the less worked character (story speaking of course).
Elgregou

Postby Kalypso » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:51 am

Elgregou Wrote:Link and Mario are famous not because they are good characters with depth, but because they are the heroes of games with a fantastic gameplay.

Exactly.
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Postby nebrose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 am

meh the last option should be scratched, since the creature has probably already apeared in version 0.2, the giant reptilian taht you get "sacrificed" to. but i overall agree with what is said, it's just that i feel that the main objective should aways be finding fox... maybe we should make the ending and orgy with fox, falco, and wolf (fox's nemesis that i found out about via super smash bros brawl)
i only give base ideas, ones that can be built off of, not ones with an end in sight. so don't ask me to give further detail on my ideas.
yes my avatar is a prostoss dark archon.
nebrose

Postby dollspit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 am

Kalypso Wrote:Precisely--that subject is something entirely separate, though.

I don't think thats necessarily true. I believe those choices could very much be incorporated into a dialogue system within the game.

Look at something like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The entire game is based around the choices made by the player.
He literally checks boxes on a page, these check boxes pertaining to psychological evaluation which eventually leads to how the game is played or how it looks. Depending on what choices you pick in the therapist office, dialogue and clothing and even gender of some characters in the game are affected. While a system comparable to this is quite a ways off in LoK, I'd have to totally disagree with you. I'd say it isn't an entirely separate subject at all.

Elgregou Wrote:Link and Mario are famous not because they are good characters with depth, but because they are the heroes of games with a fantastic gameplay.

While I do agree with you, I don't think your statement actually applies to LoK as there is little actual gameplay involved. It'd probably be difficult for Krystal to be defined by the gameplay when it isn't exactly dynamic.
Image<==Source
dollspit

Postby Kalypso » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 am

dollspit Wrote:
Kalypso Wrote:Precisely--that subject is something entirely separate, though.

I don't think thats necessarily true. I believe those choices could very much be incorporated into a dialogue system within the game.

Look at something like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The entire game is based around the choices made by the player.
He literally checks boxes on a page, these check boxes pertaining to psychological evaluation which eventually leads to how the game is played or how it looks. Depending on what choices you pick in the therapist office, dialogue and clothing and even gender of some characters in the game are affected. While a system comparable to this is quite a ways off in LoK, I'd have to totally disagree with you. I'd say it isn't an entirely separate subject at all.

While I do agree with you, I don't think your statement actually applies to LoK as there is little actual gameplay involved. It'd probably be difficult for Krystal to be defined by the gameplay when it isn't exactly dynamic.

We're talking about a content filter for sexual preference in visuals versus a dialogue change--they're two entirely different items in Action Script. And that's precisely it, and you've typed this yourself--we're not making a full featured game that's being funded by a major corporation, we're writing a big game in flash, and flash has definitely got its own limits. I'm not saying that we can't have dialogue changes in-game. I'm saying that what you're supposing is a lot to ask for.
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Postby dollspit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 am

Kalypso Wrote:We're talking about a content filter for sexual preference in visuals versus a dialogue change--they're two entirely different items in Action Script. And that's precisely it, and you've typed this yourself--we're not making a full featured game that's being funded by a major corporation, we're writing a big game in flash, and flash has definitely got its own limits. I'm not saying that we can't have dialogue changes in-game. I'm saying that what you're supposing is a lot to ask for.

I totally agree with you, Kalypso. I just think that the dialogue choices could inherently alter what someone sees in LoK. Instead of a tacky menu at the start asking if you want to include a certain fetish, one could instead utilize a dialogue tree. At some point before the introduction of said fetish, a character could say:
"We're nearing a fork in the road. The left path leads here and right path leads there"

"Here" and "there" would have been defined before the trip in a brief conversation, so they'd know what is within either location. Krystal would then say:
"I'd prefer to avoid there"

Anything (fetish or otherwise) within "there" would then not be available to the player, since they obviously do not enjoy it. It wouldn't have to be incredibly complicated. Those particular scenes simply wouldn't be shown. The player would go down the other path and head to the next area.
Image<==Source
dollspit

Postby Kalypso » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 am

dollspit Wrote:
Kalypso Wrote:We're talking about a content filter for sexual preference in visuals versus a dialogue change--they're two entirely different items in Action Script. And that's precisely it, and you've typed this yourself--we're not making a full featured game that's being funded by a major corporation, we're writing a big game in flash, and flash has definitely got its own limits. I'm not saying that we can't have dialogue changes in-game. I'm saying that what you're supposing is a lot to ask for.

I totally agree with you, Kalypso. I just think that the dialogue choices could inherently alter what someone sees in LoK. Instead of a tacky menu at the start asking if you want to include a certain fetish, one could instead utilize a dialogue tree. At some point before the introduction of said fetish, a character could say:
"We're nearing a fork in the road. The left path leads here and right path leads there"

"Here" and "there" would have been defined before the trip in a brief conversation, so they'd know what is within either location. Krystal would then say:
"I'd prefer to avoid there"

Anything (fetish or otherwise) within "there" would then not be available to the player, since they obviously do not enjoy it. It wouldn't have to be incredibly complicated. Those particular scenes simply wouldn't be shown. The player would go down the other path and head to the next area.

Its not about including a certain fetish or not, its about enabling/disabling content that you may not find suitable in your sexual interest.
And again, I've already said, there will definitely be choices in game. Whether they're dialogue based or not is entirely up to what the general opinion states. But why have text-based decisions when you could make the decisions yourself in-game through gameplay?
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Postby trunks2585 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 am

kalypso, dollspit, this thread is about if krystal should talk or not, not about how to pick what fetishes you like. it's an interesting idea being talked about but this isn't the thread for it.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby dollspit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Kalypso Wrote:But why have text-based decisions when you could make the decisions yourself in-game through gameplay?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, since what I'm suggesting would in fact take place through gameplay. I'm assuming you mean that instead of picking which path you travel via conversation, you'd walk down the preferred via in game controls. I think that is actually a superior concept, but my idea was based more around the topic at hand, which is utilizing dialogue in the game. Something along the lines that Elgregou proposed in his initial post.
Unless I completely missed the point, Elgregou. :?

trunks2585 Wrote:...this isn't the thread for it.

I was certain that Kalypso and I were staying on topic... Well, I'll cease the conversation if thats really the case.
Image<==Source
dollspit

Postby Passerby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

If there is text, I'd vote for using it sparingly.

Say there's an oral scene. There's a difference between "You want it, don't you?" "Yes, yes I want it" Okay...she wants it.
And "You want it, don't you?" And then she just goes for it. It's ambiguous. She went right for it...maybe she wants it. Or maybe she knows in the situation she's in she has to. I guess it really is exactly what the poll says, "like to imagine what she's thinking," the ambiguity just seems more appealing.
For story stuff, on the other hand, maybe, maybe not. She shouldn't be a chatterbox...and if she starts talking, she should maybe do it later in the game, when she'd seem to have some breathing room. But if you need it to explain the plot or something, that's fine and passable...arwing goes down, screen fades to black, single message comes up "...I've got to find fox...", then enter the stage/hut/whatever.
Passerby

Postby Renara » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Text as a way to choose fetishes to accept or avoid is an interesting idea, but I think it may become impractical, as you'd either have to present the options all the time (which could be unwieldy or tedious), or remember previous choices and remove similar ones using that information, but what if that ends up wrong, or someone mis-clicks? It's also a bit hard to write into dialogue:

Sharpclaw: Hey there bitch, give me a footjob!
Krystal: No, fuck off!

Okay, I didn't try very hard, but if you spend half the time making Krystal refuse to do things, or get big lists of a million and one alternatives, then it seems a bit weird. As one off pieces that could allow branching during a quest it might be interesting. For determining Krystal's level of sluttiness, surely a selection of naughty outfits and the ability to have her wander around cum-soaked if you so choose covers it pretty well?
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby dollspit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Renara, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It really wouldn't work in every situation (maybe even most).

But, uh...
Renara Wrote:Sharpclaw: Hey there bitch, give me a footjob!
Krystal: No, fuck off!

:lol:
Image<==Source
dollspit

Next

Return to Legend of Krystal