Backgrounds

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Backgrounds

Postby Zelos » Fri May 27, 2011 3:41 am

I really didn't want to create a topic until i knew for sure i was going to be contributing to the community but i just have a few questions. Are their any rules to creation of backgrounds ? Do they have a recommended size ? Can they be animated ? Is it as simply as creating a picture in photoshop ? And let whom ever possible convert it into a playable flash file ?
Zelos

Re: Backgrounds

Postby Digfree » Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 am

different flashes have different requirements. When I randomly make a background, I tend to make it large enough so it can be used full screen or scaled down later. Most flashes here use playshapes art style, meaning they aren't high detail, but vivid and smooth looking.

1. Find a flash project you want to contribute too
2. ask lead on it if there are any requirements
3. do as you seem fit, if you make it in flash they can most of the time change any small detail they may not like. as for photoshop.... that tends to be too detailed, making the animation look out of place.

Here is a example of a lugi mansion background I made. Unfinished.
ImageImageImageImage
Digfree

Postby Zelos » Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 am

Digfree Wrote:different flashes have different requirements. When I randomly make a background, I tend to make it large enough so it can be used full screen or scaled down later. Most flashes here use playshapes art style, meaning they aren't high detail, but vivid and smooth looking.

1. Find a flash project you want to contribute too
2. ask lead on it if there are any requirements
3. do as you seem fit, if you make it in flash they can most of the time change any small detail they may not like. as for photoshop.... that tends to be too detailed, making the animation look out of place.

Here is a example of a lugi mansion background I made. Unfinished.

Oh wow, thats pretty cool. What program did you use to create that ? Flash ? I assume.
I don't know what flash is capable of so i am not sure what you can and can not do with it.
You also said playshape's style, how do you apply that style? Do you use a random assortment of things until it looks similar enough ?
Or is their a different method that is used so that you can easily apply the style ?
Zelos

Postby Digfree » Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Zelos Wrote:
Oh wow, thats pretty cool. What program did you use to create that ? Flash ? I assume.
I don't know what flash is capable of so i am not sure what you can and can not do with it.
You also said playshape's style, how do you apply that style? Do you use a random assortment of things until it looks similar enough ?
Or is their a different method that is used so that you can easily apply the style ?

I am no expert on art styles, I just tend to copy other peoples art styles decently. Play shapes is a little but harder to mimic for me. The thing is that his background art is fairly rough and uneven, but it looks natural at the same time. The most detailed thing on the thing should be the girl/sex. if the level is too detailed, it takes away from it. Also, it needs to look like the rest of the levels in the game, and they all tend to follow this rule.

Just take some stills from mario is missing, and LoK and take a look. The art is really alot rougher then you remember because your not focused on it.

And yeah it is flash. You can take any pitcure and put it into flash, but it is hard to edit. A photoshop Psd file DOES save in layers that flash can read.
ImageImageImageImage
Digfree

Return to Legend of Krystal