Flash Tips?

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Flash Tips?

Postby Lemonistic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:05 am

So I've been lurking around the site for a while now and I would really like to upload some examples of ideas I have so I don't being another idea input that distracts from the actual project and doesn't get anything done. So obviously there's alot of talented people and I was hoping I could get some tips. I want to be able to put all these ideas I have on to an actual flash template, ya know. For example, right now I'm trying to create a character and I'm stuck on the shading. I could also use some tips on how to use layers more effectively and animation and ya know all the goodies.
Also, I only have Flash 8, do I need CS4 to upload anything?
Lemonistic

Re: Flash Tips?

Postby Thaedael » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 am

Hopefully this is a good starting point for you;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=413
Thaedael

Postby Lemonistic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks, I had skimmed that page before but I'm gonna try to apply it this time.
That'll help me out with animation a bit; does anyone have any tips on the art aspect of things? To be more specific, I would like to really bring the characters to life with shading and the proper use of light sources and all, instead of the characters ending up with a real bland, dull quality.

Thanks again, Thaedael.
Lemonistic

Postby Lemonistic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 am

Also, could someone please tell me how to upload something you have on paper on to the computer? Like make it a PDA file? I have a few sketches on paper that I would like to trace into flash.
Thanks.
Lemonistic

Postby Lemonistic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:50 am

Here's some more questions to hopefully get the topic going,

- Is there a way to save the colors you use while your drawing in Flash 8? For example, I'm trying to color in the rest of my skin on my character to match the face, but since I've colored the face I've changed it to color eyes, hair, etc. Now I don't remember what exact color I used for the face and can't get it to match.

- A question for someone familiar with character models; How many layers would you say are used in a common character model? How do you usually go about making a model? (What order, what methods and tricks and such, cleaning it up)

Well I guess that should do it for now I want to get my model done before I start animating anything.
Lemonistic

Postby Workhorse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:00 am

Hi there! For general art tips I suggest starting with ye olde paper and charcoal. Move on to graphite when you build up enough confidence to not crutch on an eraser and then go into digital mediums. I know a lot of interns that started with a pencil and they end up with bad habits like erasing every couple of seconds because their mark making isn't very confident. Not that erasing is bad - it isn't - but it will slow you down and art takes lots of time. If you are attending a college or have a nearby community college sign up for a few Life Drawing courses. It is a cheap way to get professional models to pose for a couple of hours so you can study proper art technique. It is also a good way to get over any fears of drawing under pressure. A good resource to start with is Betty Edward's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I highly recommend the upside-down exercises - you will be surprised!

A quick way to match colors in Flash is to press the 'D' key. This will activate the Dropper tool. You can use it to pickup colors you have already placed on the canvas, just make sure you have the symbol activated (double clicked) before you try it! When I'm making a simple model like the ones used in LoK you generally need at least 24 symbols:

Head
Eyes
Hair01
Hair02 (bangs, ponytails, any secondary motion)
Neck
Torso
Tits01
Tits02
ArmRight
ArmLeft
ForearmRight
ForearmLeft
HandRight
HandLeft
Hips
Crotch (separate from Hips so you can manipulate it around a partner)
ThighRight
ThighLeft
CalfRight
CalfLeft
AnkleRight
AnkleLeft
FootRight
FootLeft

Some of these can be condensed further, such as using one symbol for both legs or arms. This sacrifices perspective at the gain of time spent redrawing a symbol. If you are new to art in general than feel free to take this shortcut as convincing perspective is a fairly complex and broad study that takes years to develop. Hope this helps!
Workhorse

Postby SexyFoxTime » Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 am

Well, im not into FLASH Because it wont work for me but, i would look around Newgrounds and others around here for help :)
Girls give it up for the summer time, because boys are on the beach looking good and i'm feeling fine, im on a misson to make you mine, just put the music on give it up for the summer time

SexyFoxTime, your daily Birthday suprise :3
SexyFoxTime

Location: Sitting in a meadow, cleaning my sword, looking for her...

Postby Lemonistic » Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 am

Thank you Workhorse!!!!!!!!! That is definately going to help alot! And yeah art is kind of a side thing for me really I'm more into music but if I ever get around to it I will definitely take some of those classes. And the dropper tool tip definitely helps and the symbols explanation was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot, with summer coming up this'll definitely help me get some practice in.

Thanks SexyFoxTime, I've been using a few useful tutorials on there that have definitely helped me get started with flash but for some reason the last few times I've gone on there I got Trojan warnings :/...

Anyways, thanks again you guys! And I'll always be looking for some useful tips if anyone else stops by and thinks they can help out, that'd be cool.
Lemonistic

Postby GolanTrevize » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 am

Dont worry, I´m using flash 6
Current project: Dark moon (Artists needed)
GolanTrevize

Postby Lemonistic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:04 am

It's been a long while since I've been on here or done anything with flash, but thanks again Workhorse, I just got Flash CS4 and with this Thanksgiving break I'm hoping to get a lot of practice in and maybe even post something up here. If I do, it'll probably be so crappy it isn't worth putting in the Creative Corner so I'll just keep it in this thread. Any constructive criticism or more tips on art and animation are greatly appreciated! I really feel I can make some contributions to the project, (Krystal is dying for some attention), I just don't have the skills to put any of these ideas to use. But I'm hoping to get there soon!
Lemonistic

Postby ixwq » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:28 am

I recently bought flash and have been finding it uncomfortable to draw in it. I much prefer to draw with Photoshop and I was wonder if there are any tips as to how I might make drawing in flash more like Photoshop or any tips in general for making an anime style video in Flash?
ixwq
Newly Registered

Postby BlueLight » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:36 pm

So this is more of a statement on the restrictions of flash then a tip but it can help you to understand how to work it.

Flash draws by making vectors and manipulating them it different shapes.
Photoshop i believe forgoes vectors all to gather.

You should be able to import your photoshop files as vectors in to flash some how. I don't know for sure since i don't use photoshop and haven't used flash in some time
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Return to Legend of Krystal