Some statistics

Discussion about Legend of Krystal. For now this also includes any feature-requests or other ideas.

Some statistics

Postby Renara » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Just thought I'd share, but in the relatively short-time the site has been around, and that v0.2 has been available we've achieved:

860 downloads of v0.2 of the game from deposit-files (unknown direct downloads, ~2907 for v0.1 and v0.2, can't retrieve stats for just v0.2 atm).
~810 downloads of the v0.2 source-file (119 from deposit-files, ~691 direct).
~3gb daily data-transfer, ~90gb a month; 1% of current total allowance.

140 registered members on the forums.
272 registered e-mail address on the mailing list.

Current Google query rankings:
Code: Select All Code
Query                              Ranking
------------------------------------------
legend of krystal forum            #1
the legend of krystal finished     #2
playshapes legend of krystal       #4
playshapes flash                   #7
the legend of krystal game         #8
legend of krystal game             #8
the legend of krystal flash        #10
legend of krystal flash            #10
the legend of krystal              #10
legend of krystal                  #10

Gonna have to work on that #1 stop for the more common queries like "legend of krystal"; here's hoping :)

I'll update these from time-to-time to report any interesting changes.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Re: Some statistics

Postby bobsen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 pm

This is pretty cool :) Game will only continue to grow, - heres hoping the community stays enthusiastic! :)
bobsen

Postby Renara » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Oh, I also nabbed LegendOfKrystal.com as a domain. It just redirects to the current project-page. It may not work for everyone just yet, as I was having some trouble with it earlier, but it'll serve as the "official" domain for the project I think, though the site will currently remain under the lok.projects.renara.com sub-domain for the moment, I'll likely move things about whenever I'm close to finishing a proper web-site.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby JL95 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 am

Renara Wrote:Oh, I also nabbed LegendOfKrystal.com as a domain. It just redirects to the current project-page. It may not work for everyone just yet, as I was having some trouble with it earlier, but it'll serve as the "official" domain for the project I think, though the site will currently remain under the lok.projects.renara.com sub-domain for the moment, I'll likely move things about whenever I'm close to finishing a proper web-site.

Cool! btw, why can't I stay logged in? >_<
JL95

Postby Ketsueki » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:22 am

JL95 Wrote:
Renara Wrote:Oh, I also nabbed LegendOfKrystal.com as a domain. It just redirects to the current project-page. It may not work for everyone just yet, as I was having some trouble with it earlier, but it'll serve as the "official" domain for the project I think, though the site will currently remain under the lok.projects.renara.com sub-domain for the moment, I'll likely move things about whenever I'm close to finishing a proper web-site.

Cool! btw, why can't I stay logged in? >_<

Go here

http://www.findmyipaddress.info/

The next time you "can't stay logged in" go there again.

If your IP is the same then, for sure, it's an issue with storing/clearing login cookies.

Other times forums will only allow login from the latest computer+browser you logged in at; this is not a problem but a basic attempt at security.
Ketsueki

Postby Renara » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:50 pm

I always have trouble with cookies on phpBB forums, it was logging everyone out when I first set this one up, but I thought I solved that.
Depending what browser you have you should be able to inspect what cookies you've received, the one you're interested in is called "LoKForum" and should have a domain of "lok.projects.renara.com", and a path of "/forum/" (or no path at all). You might want to see what the expiry date is being set to, or if you're even receiving the cookie.

If you aren't receiving the cookie for some reason, then all links you click within the forum will have &sid=<some_stuff> at the end of them, as that's how the board keeps you logged in if cookies aren't working for you.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby JL95 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah. I think there's a cookie storage issue or something. Might try IE or Chrome in future but I guess I will stick to Firefox and log in whenever I want to post something for now.

Thanks for the advice, ya all. :)
JL95

Postby Renara » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:08 am

No statistics update just yet, but I wanted to note that the forums will now only work correctly if accessed from http://legendofkrystal.com/forum, some of you may experience issues logging in, if you do, update any bookmarks you might have to the new address, then find out how to view cookies in your browser and delete all cookies named "LoKForum" or "LoKForum_sid", this should clear the issue right up.

This is being done so that LegendOfKrystal.com can properly mirror the existing site, and become the official URL, which should allow it to appear in search engines more favourably.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby dandan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 am

aye, I logged in through lok com and it's working a-ok. THanks for the tip, Rena
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
dandan

Postby Renara » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Here's a statistics update!

Downloads
  • Legend of Krystal v0.2 (Game):
    • Deposit-files - 3508 downloads.
    • Direct link - ~902 downloads.
  • Legend of Krystal v0.2 (Source):
    • Deposit-files - 575 downloads.
    • Direct link - ~177
Unfortunately I still don't fully understand the damned statistics for the direct links, so values are likely wildly inaccurate, for example the game downloads range from 1 to 14372, 902 is therefore a best estimate derived from all the various values I can dig up.

Query                           Ranking
---------------------------------------
legend of krystal               #5
legendofkrystal                 #5
legend of krystal finished      #5
legend of krystal forum         #5
legend of krystal cheats        #6
the legend of krystal           #7
playshapes krystal              #7
lok renara                      #7
legend of krystal flash         #10
dirtyc101                       #10

The dip in rankings is mainly because for some reason LegendOfKrystal.com still isn't being picked up properly for common searches. If you'd like to help remedy that, then please make sure that anywhere you see LoK mentioned that a link to http://legendofkrystal.com is present. Don't go spamming it or anything, but putting links in forum signatures in places you frequent, and making sure places that mention the game have a link to this project, all helps to get it recognised properly by Google's search ranking system.

For comparison, here's the rankings for lok.projects.renara.com:

Query                                 Ranking
---------------------------------------------
k fox and magic sword cheat codes     #1
legend of krystal                     #2
kay fox and the magic sword cheats    #2
k fox and the magic sword             #3
k fox and the magic sword cheats      #3
kay fox and the magic sword           #3
k fox and magic sword                 #3
the legend of krystal                 #3
k fox and magic sword cheats          #4
k fox cheats                          #4

Better ranking for just straight-up legend of krystal, but wtf with all the k fox queries?
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Fox Paradox » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:09 pm

The K fox queries are there because the game K fox and the magic sword is so damn hard that even I found myself looking for cheats.

Reminds me of the good old days of doing barrel-rolls and using bombs wisely.
Fox Paradox

Postby Renara » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Fox Paradox Wrote:The K fox queries are there because the game K fox and the magic sword is so damn hard that even I found myself looking for cheats.

I know why they're there, just dunno how come they're the top queries since we're not a site or forum for the game, a bit annoying! But it's what Google decides to link it to at the moment :(
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Poob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Renara Wrote:I know why they're there, just dunno how come they're the top queries since we're not a site or forum for the game, a bit annoying! But it's what Google decides to link it to at the moment :(

I'm guessing it's because someone posted all the cheat codes somewhere here on this forum a while back, and people just decided to link to it.

Google is fickle that way!
Poob

Postby Renara » Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Just wanted to note that a few minutes ago the mailing list hit 1300 subscribers!

I'll probably have a look at some of the other current stats soon as well, see how we're doing in the search term ranks. We're at least properly #1 on Google now for "legend of krystal" and with the correct domain at last, which is nice :)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby DemonFiren » Wed May 26, 2010 11:26 pm

We are certainly almost too successful.
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby Kalypso » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 am

Renara Wrote:Just wanted to note that a few minutes ago the mailing list hit 1300 subscribers!

I'll probably have a look at some of the other current stats soon as well, see how we're doing in the search term ranks. We're at least properly #1 on Google now for "legend of krystal" and with the correct domain at last, which is nice :)
DemonFiren Wrote:We are certainly almost too successful.

We also topped 50 users online at the same time on Friday.
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Samus Platformer Team Member
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Postby Renara » Mon May 31, 2010 11:49 am

Phew, just had a look at the bandwidth usage for this site and we're using nearly 8gb a day! This may mean that v0.3 won't be available to play directly in your browser, at least not from this website, or that I may have to limit attachments slightly. I've already adjusted the spider settings to avoid googlebot and others from downloading files that they won't index anyway, will have to see how much of a difference that makes though.

With the current bandwidth usage we're set for just under 200gb a month, fortunately I have over 10tb a month if I need it! But the rate of growth for legendofkrystal.com has been pretty huge!
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby DemonFiren » Mon May 31, 2010 2:52 pm

See? I told you:
DemonFiren Wrote:We are certainly almost too successful.

May the Great Modem in the Sky grant us the power of Bandwithus Maximus. Or the one of Rootus Rootus, but we're not that greedy.
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby Nextus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Can't remember who made the suggestion, but that's where it'd be handy to release it as a torrent, which I'm sure the Dev team already have discussed through :P
Nextus

Postby Renara » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:15 am

Nextus Wrote:Can't remember who made the suggestion, but that's where it'd be handy to release it as a torrent, which I'm sure the Dev team already have discussed through :P

Hmm, not sure about the game itself as that would depend how large it is once compiled, might make more sense for the source code though as that gets pretty huge. The problem with torrents for small files is that the set-up and handling takes ages for a small file as it searches for peers, so I still prefer direct downloads, that why sites such as depositfiles are kind of useful in that you get good direct-download speeds, just have to wait a little beforehand.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Next

Return to Legend of Krystal