Any plans to embed HTML5?

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Any plans to embed HTML5?

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello, this is a question for management.

Do you guys have any plan to eventually allow people to embed HTML5 games the way we can upload Flash games? Game Maker Studio can do HTML5, Unity can do HTML5, RPGMaker MV can do HTML5, Adobe Flash is now Adobe Animate because it can do HTML5 now. Seems like this is going to be the way of things.

Also, if you expand the site to support HTML5, I would recommend putting it in the same forum as Flash games, since the main difference for people is really "games I have to download" and "games I can play from the browser".
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: Any plans to embed HTML5?

Postby Zeus Kabob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 am

HTML5 is a tough topic. I don't understand enough about embedding HTML5/js to give a great answer (Renara would know more), but upon previously requesting this feature I was told that there are challenges and security vulnerabilities involved in the process that aren't simple to solve.

Originally I'd intended to put HTML5/Twine games in the same subforum as Flash games, but I felt that the key difference there should be "playability with a forum attachment", which those didn't qualify for, and couldn't for the previously explained reason.
Zeus Kabob

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, personally, I'd rather that any no-download games go in the same forum, because that's what matters more to me. I don't care if I have to click a link over to a tumblr page or something to access an HTML5 game, (I often check out the developers' websites anyways), but I do care if I have to download something onto my own computer.

Maybe you could promote some kind of title description to let people know what they are in for. Like on the RPGM forums, you need to put (VX) or (MV) and so on to let people know what version your game is. There's already that paperclip icon to show people if there's an attachment, it seems to me it should be possible to tell if the attachment is specifically a .swf file and give those threads their own icon. Then you could put HTML5 games with links in the same forum and people can tell at a glance what they're going to click on.

But bottom line, ignoring HTML5 sounds bad for business. Personally, if I make an HTML5 game that gets dumped into the Non-Flash forum, I'm going to seriously think about other communities to test it on.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Zeus Kabob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:But bottom line, ignoring HTML5 sounds bad for business.

I don't mean to be short with you, but I've personally talked with HTML5 developers about this topic and they seemed to be understanding. I don't think I'm ignoring HTML5.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Troy168 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Well for those that don't know what HTML5 is... Can you explain what that is?
Troy168

Postby Zeus Kabob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 am

HTML stands for "Hypertext Markup Language", a term invented to describe a set of rules for text display on the internet. Currently, the page you're reading text off of right now is written in HTML. Things developed over time, adding functionality through updates to the HTML standard and the addition of Javascript and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).

A recent update to HTML (called HTML5) adds something called a "canvas", which allows for fully featured games to be made and run through your browser with no additional plugins.
Zeus Kabob

Return to General