Forum Newb

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Forum Newb

Postby SaintSin6 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 pm

:mrgreen: Hey I'm saint! I really like the games that I see here and I thought I'd sign up for an account and try my hand at making a game as well!
I have a ton of big ideas but I'd like to start off with something small and manageable for a 1st game.

I'll try anyway, anytime I try to come up with a small, short game idea it balloons into this epic monster. :lol:
SaintSin6
Newly Registered

Re: Forum Newb

Postby musical74 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 am

WARNING!! Don't actually try to create an epic monster until you've got everything needed: a writer, an artist, a coder/programmer, and people willing to test your epic! I know firsthand the dangers of trying to create an epic adventure without everything. Way back when I had a pretty epic story and had an artist willing to help...but neither of us knew squat about programming, so it just remained a great idea. Actually, I still might have the 40+ pages of NPC encounters, weapons/armor, castles, towns, monsters, skills/spells, and items somewhere around....

Barring the probably unneeded warning, welcome aboard!
musical74

Postby SaintSin6 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 am

Thanks for the welcome (and warning too :P). Your story's all too familiar to me. It's pretty easy to come up with a massive game idea that sounds totally awesome. Being able to create short yet engaging experiences is like an artform in itself.

After I power through my first 10 posts, I'll pop over to the Discussion forum and make some friends. :D
SaintSin6
Newly Registered

Postby musical74 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah I probably could have done without the warning, just remembering my own grand idea that went nowhere...

There's a few types of everyone here I think: writers, artists, programmers. Some have one skillset but not another (I'm pretty good at writing and providing detailed feedback, but am lousy as an artist and know next to zilch about programming, for example). Just need to find those that will help you out with whatever you need! :)
musical74

Postby SaintSin6 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 am

Great! I would say my strongest point is 2D art and animation. I'm also close to graduating with a BS in Computer Science but, although I've dabbled, I don't have much experience creating games so I'll use an engine like GM or Unity. I'm definitely lacking in writing. I've spent some time studying and practicing writing however, I feel like I just don't have the knack for it.

The epic monster I was talking about leans heavily on art and programming (in particular AI, which I love). The writing's close to non-existent and the "story" is so generic it'll make you puke. :lol:
I've learned my lesson. Before I came here I took a stab at making a visual novel on my own. ...You can imagine how that turned out. :P

Now I'm just sticking with what I know.
SaintSin6
Newly Registered

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I'd be curious to see some of your animation. I've spent the last few years learning 3D animation in college, and I see a lot of hentai games with movement, but not animation.
AcetheSuperVillain

Return to General