Video Game Discussions

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Video Game Discussions

Postby Sainiku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Because life isn't worth playing without a controller.

I don't care if it's furry video games or not. I'm willing to talk about any/all of them. :)

Also if you have any questions about video games i'm yer girl. ^^
"Whatever. I'll just eat you up. Bones and all!" -Juri
Sainiku

Re: Video Game Discussions

Postby Renara » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Hehe, good idea! Uhm, I'll start by posting that I played Final Fantasy XIII a little while ago, but am not a huge fan of it. Graphically it's very pretty, and the story is okay, but it's incredibly linear and when you do get to free-roam (after about 25 hours!!) there's almost nothing to do except fight more monsters. The end boss (2nd stage) is also pretty ridiculous in terms of how it looks, and the fact that it has a KO ability which there is basically no counter to except either incredible luck (unlikely as the fight is extremely long at lower levels), or spending extra time levelling up and acquiring the only items that defend against KO. So I was pretty disappointed with FFXIII overall, with FFXII probably being my favourite in terms of overall gameplay, and story though it's a bit dry at parts and some characters are either unnecessary, or poorly voice acted; Fran in particular makes a great party leader purely on the grounds of her outfit and how good she looks in it, so long as she doesn't speak :)

Otherwise, in the RPG category my favourite game is Oblivion, for all it's copy/paste environments and voice-actors, it's just a great game. My all time favourite games though are Myth (Real Time Tactical), and Zork: Nemesis (Graphical Adventure) :)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Sainiku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Renara Wrote:Hehe, good idea! Uhm, I'll start by posting that I played Final Fantasy XIII a little while ago, but am not a huge fan of it. Graphically it's very pretty, and the story is okay, but it's incredibly linear and when you do get to free-roam (after about 25 hours!!) there's almost nothing to do except fight more monsters. The end boss (2nd stage) is also pretty ridiculous in terms of how it looks, and the fact that it has a KO ability which there is basically no counter to except either incredible luck (unlikely as the fight is extremely long at lower levels), or spending extra time levelling up and acquiring the only items that defend against KO. So I was pretty disappointed with FFXIII overall, with FFXII probably being my favourite in terms of overall gameplay, and story though it's a bit dry at parts and some characters are either unnecessary, or poorly voice acted; Fran in particular makes a great party leader purely on the grounds of her outfit and how good she looks in it, so long as she doesn't speak :)

Otherwise, in the RPG category my favourite game is Oblivion, for all it's copy/paste environments and voice-actors, it's just a great game. My all time favourite games though are Myth (Real Time Tactical), and Zork: Nemesis (Graphical Adventure) :)

I played FFXIII a while ago as well. I honestly liked the battle system alot and the whole linearity never really annoyed me. I'll admit that when sidequests did open up they were kinda bland. Honestly i had no trouble for that boss at all, though i do think the whole death thing was kinda cheap. FFXII always seemed way too... meh. It felt like an average game with an average JRPG plotline with an average battle system. The only real joys i had with that game was stealing the wind dagger off of one of the rare mobs and essentially killing werewolfs/rare mobs till i was lvl 100 before grabbing my first party member. XD
FFX will always have the place of best FF game for me.

I recently dug up Oblivion again to play around with new mods. Same thing for Fallout 3 (the krystal mod is pretty cool). Myth and Zork are always good. :)
Ah... i remember all the hours in Myth... now i want to play it again... darn you Renara! XD
Sainiku

Postby DemonFiren » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Life isn't worth playing without a mouse - I'm not a console gamer...but...

KRYSTAL mod for FallOut three? Wanna have!
Please don't mention my userpage here on FA. I'm officially a strict opponent of Krys/Sharpclaw interactions.
DemonFiren

Postby Renara » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Sainiku Wrote:FFXII always seemed way too... meh. It felt like an average game with an average JRPG plotline with an average battle system.

Well I haven't played many JRPG's other than Final Fantasy games, but I really enjoyed the squad-gambits, pseudo RTS style of play. FFX turn based is way more relaxed, but that said FFXII doesn't have the same immediacy as FF7 or FFXIII where you feel pressured into making a decision as fast as possible, as it pauses when you're making a selection, which was nice, but it was also just so easy to manage your party once we got over the learning curve (and could find gambits that worked, they should have really just opened the system at the beginning of the game). My only complaint on FFXII's gameplay was the occasional swarming where enemies that are nearby join a fight until you're overwhelmed, but that was pretty rare (and you always had that flee button :)). I'm curious to know why you feel the story is generic though? I liked the kind of political aspect, and the fact that events are unfolding that affect nations, I just wish Vaan and Penelo had been omitted as they're bland characters that I wouldn't have missed, since they don't add anything to the plot at all really! But when it comes down to it is my favourite overall because of the graphics (incredible for a PS2), gameplay, story (mostly), and how large the world is (and how compelling it is to wander around in, as it's actually fun to go back to most places), oh and Fran's ass :D

Sainiku Wrote:FFX will always have the place of best FF game for me.

I forgot to mention FFX in my first post; it's one of my favourites as well, as the graphics were a huge push forward at the time, and the story was incredibly good. Tidus was a bit annoying at times, but that was offset by how badass Auron was, and all the twists and turns in the plot. Blitzball had to have been my favourite mini-game :)

Sainiku Wrote:Ah... i remember all the hours in Myth... now i want to play it again... darn you Renara! XD

Hehe, if you haven't played in a while remember to hit up ProjectMagma.net for the updates!
I don't play online as much as I used to, but I've been helping with some of the updates to the game.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Sainiku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:25 pm

DemonFiren Wrote:Life isn't worth playing without a mouse - I'm not a console gamer...but...

KRYSTAL mod for FallOut three? Wanna have!

http://krystalarchive.com/fangames/burm ... llout3mod/

There ya go. :)
You can even combine it with the sex mods and have any pairing of Fox, Falco, Miyu, or Krystal. ^^
Sainiku

Postby Sainiku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Renara Wrote:I'm curious to know why you feel the story is generic though?

Kid meets a princess, a pair of outlaws (one of which is an animal, the other a hotshot pilot), and ends up saving their kingdom. If i had a nickel... (star wars anyone?)
Not only that, but they pair up with a 'resistance' (rebels) group to take on an evil empire (empire)...

Plus, Vaan and Penelo were probably the worst main character i had ever seen. :\

Though I'll admit... Fran was cute. ^^
Sainiku

Postby UserN4meTak3n » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 am

I have been playing an older game recently called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, mostly because I love the kills you can pull of in that very fun game and also it is a more mature game that alot that have been released on consoles for example, but another game I like to play for the RPG fix is DragonAge Origins.
A friend of mine also told me that Battlefield Bad Company 2 is on par with Modern Warfare 2 and excels in some points which make it a very awesome game to play online.
UserN4meTak3n

Postby Atemisc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 am

I'm just waitin' to get my Super Street Fighter IV in the morning. Other than that, I started playing Lunar Silver Star Harmony on my PSP before my PSP broke yesterday. ._.
Atemisc

Postby Sainiku » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Atemisc Wrote:I'm just waitin' to get my Super Street Fighter IV in the morning. Other than that, I started playing Lunar Silver Star Harmony on my PSP before my PSP broke yesterday. ._.

K-Mart broke street date with SSF4. They've been selling it since Friday. I've been playing since friday. :)
Sainiku

Postby trunks2585 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 am

figured i'd post a more indie game. creeper world. it's a fun little rts/tower defense game, there's the training sim online, the free demo, and the full game for 10 dollars. trust me when i say it's worth the money if you enjoy the training sim version. just search for creeper world on youtube and you can see some levels, those vids will do more justice to the game than me trying to explain it.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby magnusadder » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 am

Sainiku Wrote:K-Mart broke street date with SSF4. They've been selling it since Friday. I've been playing since friday. :)

1k per unit sold there.
knowledge is juicy and sweet like an apple, but it more addictive then even the most potent of drugs. so i ask you as eve once asked Adam and the serpent asked her before. "care for a bite?"
magnusadder

Postby Kryger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 am

Anyone here play Tekken 6/BlazBlue? I mostly play fighting games or generally any PC game so long as it's fairly good. I've found a few great ones on PC.
You are no God to me. This is a Reckoning.
You are nothing to me. This is a Reckoning.
Kryger

Postby Mr.Elefant » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:36 am

I've played both and liked them. I don't own them unfortunately.

On a side note: Kryger, your name makes me think of croikey which, in turn, makes me think of Steve.
I'm right 98% of the time.
Who cares about the other 3%.
Mr.Elefant

Postby Kryger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 am

Gotta get em man. Nice side note and I like the picture. Steve was a cool guy. But death by a manta ray was the definition of Irony.
Kryger

Postby The Unknown » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:26 pm

i agree with demonfiren ,i kinda prefer a mouse then a console and the only reason is cos i suck usin a console. btw i prefer to play strategic/RPG games i just hope starcraft 2 gets done b4 this year ends.
The Unknown

Postby Sainiku » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Kryger Wrote:Anyone here play Tekken 6/BlazBlue? I mostly play fighting games or generally any PC game so long as it's fairly good. I've found a few great ones on PC.

BB:CT was ok, but i hear BB:CS is wonderful. :P

The Unknown Wrote:i agree with demonfiren ,i kinda prefer a mouse then a console and the only reason is cos i suck usin a console. btw i prefer to play strategic/RPG games i just hope starcraft 2 gets done b4 this year ends.

Well, yeah... for strategic/RPGs i'd prefer a mouse/keyboard too. Starcraft 2 is still dated for Q2 2010, so it'll probably be in the next few months. you know how blizzard is. :P
Sainiku

Postby Fox Paradox » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Halo Reach Beta is coming out in a few days, and I hate Halo 3.

But who knows, maybe things will be different.

Reminds me of the good old days of doing barrel-rolls and using bombs wisely.
Fox Paradox

Postby Kryger » Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 am

Not a huge Halo Fan. Well it really kinda disappointed me how me and my cousin were able to kill the campaign on legendary in 3 hours... I'm eagerly awaiting BB:CS though. Can't wait. The fighting for BB:CT is actually really good but the story line I just find amazing for some reason. Ragna's story line is badass.
Kryger

Postby trunks2585 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:59 am

i think the halo series needs to just stop being worked on, not because i hate it, but because they are going to exhaust ideas too quickly, they are going to try out too many things and not really think if it's going to sell well compaired to halo1-3, or it's all going to be too similar with minor variations here and there. in general move onto a new idea and work on the next halo title in secret for a few years, they don't have to release a halo title every year only to deliver a mediocore game.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Next

Return to General