Dead. Zerky killed it for Evil Sadistic fun

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Re: Dead. Zerky killed it for Evil Sadistic fun

Postby Hugh mann » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm

6895. What the fuck is an "Ice Lolly"?
6896. And you seem to have missed the point as to why your example was bad, in fantasy games you are *less* likely to be stabbed in a tavern than you are outside them.
6897. In fact, looking at it from a game design perspective, one could argue that since taverns are typically used as safe zones, a tavern in which the player is attacked is not actually a tavern at all.
6898. It would have made far more sense to use an evil guild's headquarters as an example.
6899. Y'know, I was gonna stab you once for each time you failed to capitalize the first letter of a sentence, but I’m far too lazy for that...
6900. Heh, 69... What was i saying? Oh, right.
6901. *Shoots sogekik in the foot for his exceedingly poor grammar*
6902. *Shoots sogekik in the other foot for being racist to dik-diks*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:21 pm

6903. Ice lolly (n) british: a confection in the form of a piece of flavoured ice or ice cream on a stick. (I'm lazy so the definition is from Google, but that is what it means)
6904. I'm not sure what an American would call it as I am British,
6905. a dik-dik is a species, not a race (something that is conventionally wrong in terms of games actually) to be racist a dik-dik would have to be a human with different physical characteristics, rather than a small antelope. So actually it would be speciesist.
6906. from a Game design perspective, both in terms of Narrative and level design, Taverns are frequently used as safe zones, yes, but can also be neutral spaces, or hostile locations
6907. in terms of a tabletop, for example, it would not be uncommon to find that a tavern gets attacked by <insert fantasy creature/ bandits/ etc. here>.
6908. If we take the example of Skyrim; which is unfortunately probably the most popular fantasy (video) game out there, then it is also true that it is not a safe space, there are no safe spaces in Skyrim, while you're unlikely to get attacked in a tavern, you can be, there are a number of quests that lead to you being in a fight in taverns, you can get attacked by guards, or drag bandits, wolves or other smaller monsters into the taverns with you.
6909. in fact the only example of a relatively modern game where taverns are an explicit safe zone I can think of is Dragon Age Inquisition, as they are only in cities which with the exception of certain events are always safe.
6910. in fact one of the reasons I used Taverns as an example, is because it is a relatively common trope
6911. as for an Evil guild's HQ? well for one thing that could be a Tavern as well, in fact, there are a number of guilds in fantasy media, that have their guild halls consisting mostly of a tavern. I mean ignoring the Evil bit(and games for the moment) for the moment: Skyrim's thieves guild, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, Black Clover's Black bulls, all have Taverns as their guildhalls.
6912. aside from that Evil guilds are often decentralised often not having guildhalls, some do, and it does vary on the setting, but it's actually much less common for evil guilds to be official or have a guildhall at all.
6913. and you're obviously more likely to get stabbed outside of a Tavern in a fantasy game, I mean A) you'll spend more time outside of the Tavern, B) outside doesn't make sense for the example, but a social space does make sense and as it goes a tavern is probably the best example of that, as they are present in every fantasy game, guildhalls are less common and are in some but not all games.
6914. I don't really care about minor grammatical flaws, and I'm not petty enough that I feel the need to make a thing out of them.
6915. though admittedly as a programmer my grammar is lent more towards programming than written English, to be honest, it's amazing that I don't end sentences in semicolons, or writing out peoples names in camel case;
6916. *Sets hughMann on fire for using a lower case i*
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:35 am

6917. Oh, thanks, now i don't need to jump up and down in a forge to level up my restoration skill.
6918. *Casts Fast Healing*
6919. Flavoured ice on a stick is called a "Popsicle" Ice cream on a stick is called an "Ice cream bar" ...I still think it kinda looks like a joint though...
6920. If you had said "antelope" then it would be speciesist, but you specified dik-dik, a race of antelope, therefor you were being racist to dik-diks.

6921. Well yeah, of course you can get into a fight in a tavern if you're the one who starts it, but that isn't the scenario you described earlier at all.
6922. And not every fantasy game has taverns, Dark Souls sure as hell doesn't...
6923. Although, there is a tavern in Dark Souls 2, and you do get stabbed when you walk into it, so i guess I’ll admit you have a point.

6924. And don't worry, I can be petty enough for us both.
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 am

6925. if I were to theorise on the term Ice lolly in english proper, I would guess that it probably comes from lollypop, this consists typically of either flavoured ice, frosen fruit juice or occasionally milk, ice cream on a stick would usually be referred to as an ice cream (which I'll agree is a little confusing)
6926. no actually, a dik-dik is a species which is classified as an antelope, which is an umbrella term for a number of species in the family bovidae, thus still speciesist, if we where talking about dogs, and I had specified pugs, then it would be racist, or potentially breedist as the term race applies specifically to human beings

6927. chances are the original dark souls has taverns but they probably aren't functional XD
sogekik

Postby CumInTiana01 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:01 am

6928. *sigh* Seems like this place never changes
6929. Always the retards...that's what makes it so great...
6930. "back" as in "I AM BACK" its kind of a hard word. i am not the same as i was 8 months ago
6931. i am not the same as i was yesterday...in fact...i might as well be new to this place...
6932. Who the fuck are all of you?
-Heh...*pants*...Science *faints*-
Gwenpool
List of kinks
https://i.imgur.com/G12ISDC.png
CumInTiana01

Postby sogekik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:12 am

6933. we're never the same person as we where before, we change, and shift, though part of us remains,
6934. like, for example, you have the same quirks with how you type
6935. but what's changed? if you don't mind me asking
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 pm

sogekik Wrote:the term race applies specifically to human beings

6936. Nope, 'Race' is not a proper biological classification, therefor no usage of the term can be definitively proven wrong.
6937. In fact, a hypothetical race of sentient machines would be called just that; a race. And machines aren't biological, are they?
6938. Point is, dik-diks are a race.

6939. Well, the bonfires in Dark Souls serve the same function that taverns do in other games, so i guess that technically makes them taverns themselves... in a way... from a certain point of view... and speaking metaphorically... kinda...

CumInTiana01 Wrote:Who the fuck are all of you?

6940. Sum malum incarnatum. Quae es tu, parva puella?
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 am

6940. actually in Biology race is an informal term for the divisions between subspecies, or seperate populations of the same species.
6941. as I said before the way the term Race is used in fantasy (or in this case sci-fi) is usually in the case of fantasy this comes from the Archaic meaning, being "Ancestry" so in that case it actually means species, the Race of elves, are those descended from elves, so Races in fantasy are actually those of different ancestries, it's a similar but distinctly different meaning from the standard for of race.
6942. technically a Race of machines wouldn't be a race, in terms of the usual terminologies, in terms of abstract they roughly fit the archaic definition, though as robots do not strictly have a lineage (though Asexual reproduction could be argued) even that is a bit of a stretch.
6943. the term is often used in fantasy and sci-fi settings as an umbrella for groups of sentient creatures. as Dik-diks are not sentient they couldn't be a race.
6944. going biologically speaking Dik-Diks being a species with several sub-species would not be a race either, though had I specified Kirk's or Salt's Dik-dik it could be considered Racist potentially, though those are actually separate species again, as a Dik-dik is one of 4 species
6945. given that the bonfires are actually safe zones (kind of; it is actually possible to be killed while sat at the bonfire in the first game if your clever), where as Taverns rarely are in and of themselves
sogekik

Postby Lynxy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:21 am

6946. Change is healthy. I'm definitely not who I was when I first came here, and I'm better for it.
6947. Still a closet slut though...
Lynxy

Postby Hugh mann » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:20 am

6948. One's ancestry is directly responsible for what species/subspecies they are, all you've done is show that 'race' and 'species' essentially mean the same damn thing.
6949. Who says robots can't fuck? How would you even define what sex is to a robot anyway? I mean, a sperm is just a drone that carries genetic information to the egg, so if a robot launches a smaller robot which carries the schematics of the robot it came (Heh) from to a robotic factory which uses said schematics to construct a new robot, did the robots not reproduce sexually?

6950. Okay, first of all, you're literally talking to a sentient dik-dik.
6951. Secondly, sentience is not black and white, I would argue that any creature that is aware of the world around it must at some level be 'self-aware' otherwise it would be unable to navigate the terrain around it.

Lynxy Wrote:Still a closet slut though...

6952. Mind if i join you in there?
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:10 am

6948. ancestry is responsible for species, but generally, the term ancestry refers to a recent not distant relation, your grandfather opposed to a small reptiloid millions of years ago, that separates you from a dinosaur for the first time, this, by the way, is when mammals and birds diverge genetically. in which case it becomes a question of abstraction in a distant abstraction of ancestry we have your human relatives going back a few hundred years, in a high abstraction your ancestry goes back to a single-celled organism that is related to everything. this for reference is very much the same difference typing words into this magic box in your web browser, and performing the same task in binary specific to your computer to send a message over a network in a dozen different protocols to get the message onto the forum. point being, if you're exceptionally pedantic that's true, but ignores both the point I was making and the difference between 2 different meanings for the same word.
6949. Ancestry in the case of the Archaic meaning of race refers pretty much to nationality and lineage, not to the scope of evolutionary divergence 100's of years ago, and like the other meanings of race is pretty much restricted to the same species.

6950. technically speaking they are capable of sex, even in a fairly human sense, chances are if you've ever used a USB stick or a cable and plugged it into your computer you've forced it to in effect have sex. you have inserted a male port into a female port, creating a transfer of data, this alone doesn't facilitate reproduction, which is where robotic reproduction becomes complicated, copying a file, could technically be seen a reproduction (hence my comment on Asexual reproduction), but this doesn't strictly constitute reproduction in the sense that biological life reproduces (A-sexually or otherwise), especially as generally the new program will essentially still be the first program, depending on the same sources, and in the case of a self-aware automaton ( an intelligent machine), these would end up being 2 nodes as part of the same network, and therefore essentially the same program that you started with, not a new entity.
6951. when I say they do not strictly have a lineage what I mean to say is programs do not really evolve, an AI can learn yes, and change its programming; it's through the process to reflect this, a Robot is effectively a physical body running a program, and therefore a vessel for the entity, not the entity in and of itself. To create a new program you change the programming, but this is basically equivalent to rewriting the brain.
6952. as sentience is a philosophical term there isn't an exact science to defining it, but generally speaking, what science considers to be sentience in varying degree's is self-awareness and higher reasoning; an understanding of complex interactions and they're consequences. sentience isn't black and white but ignoring wording my point is in fantasy games, books et al. elf is a race, human, orcs, dwarves are all races, deers, bears, rabbits are not, the difference predominantly being higher reasoning.
sogekik

Postby Hugh mann » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 am

sogekik Wrote:if you're exceptionally pedantic that's true

6957. Glad we finally understand eachother.
6958. *Suplexes sogekik into a well for fucking up the numbers*
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:33 am

4959. numbers are a philosophy, I never mess up the numbers I'm just working in a different base system. I mean as is we use 5 on a daily/near-daily basis, 10,12,60,24,265.
1T10T1T0. I've made this point a few times before on here and can't be bothered to explain it again, so Balanced ternary!
sogekik

Postby musical74 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 am

6961. I'll agree that change is healthy, people and animals do poorly if they are stuck in a rut.
6962. Miss Lynxy, if you are a closet slut does that mean you do all sorts of lewd and naughty things in closets?
6963. Think it'd be more fun than what the actual implication is.
musical74

Postby Hugh mann » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:14 am

6964. *Stabs musical74 in the spleen for stealing his joke*
Hugh mann

Postby KallenKrede » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 am

6965. I am so confused
6966. This is what I get for existing in the material plane.
6967. I desire foodstuffs, any suggestions?
6968. Probably gonna eat before anyone gets to answer that.
6969. Sixty-Nine Sixty-Nine. I am Scott Pilgrim's shirt now. Fear me. Or not, I don't care.
6970. Don't fear me, love me, you wankers.
KallenKrede

Postby Hugh mann » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 am

KallenKrede Wrote:I desire foodstuffs, any suggestions?

6971. Chocolate covered pickles dipped in mayonnaise.
Hugh mann

Postby sogekik » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 am

6972. I'm gonna say Cyanide laced cupcake
sogekik

Postby Amaranis A'daragon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:46 am

6973. Wonders if sogekik cleans the knife off before stabbing different people.
6974. Wonders if sogekik uses more than one knife
6975. Wonders if that was an accidental Boondock Saints reference, or intentional.
6976. I've got a 5 gallon pail of ice cream. All inquiries will have to wait.
Sometimes I think i'm crazy, but then my other voice says i'm alright.

I'm not sure if i'm just too creative, or just cant focus on one thing.
Amaranis A'daragon

Postby Mashugana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:47 am

6977. Whisky. It's the water of life.
Last edited by Mashugana on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, all I'm saying is that Batboy is our lord and savior.
Mashugana

PreviousNext

Return to General