Megaupload: Consequences?

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Megaupload: Consequences?

Postby laa » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMl1pkrH ... ture=share

It's obviously exaggerated, but it might happen to some. It already has.
This is ripping my heart out nonetheless.
laa

Re: Megaupload: Consequences?

Postby suki888 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 am

hope that it is the last time that scene would happen..
suki888

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:24 am

Just to be the devils advocate because lets faces it i love doing stuff like that i give you this.
This is what's displaying on i believe every megaupload page.

im sorta shocked that no one is talking about the racketeering and money laundering.
If the website is doing such activities shouldn't it be punished?

Come on give me a good arrangement! I dare you.
Last edited by BlueLight on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby trunks2585 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 am

Well the copywrite stuff was no surprise, but the racketeering and money laundering is news to me.

The funny thing is out of all the file sharing sites there are, megaupload was actually one of the few that would remove files if they were known to be violating copywrite.

This is likely going to drive more people to the pirate bay.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm

basic definition for Racketeering is make money illegally using a legal Business. If they can get the copy right charge to stick then i think they can get them of all these charges.
They can do that because they're claim the service was to support the copyright infringement. At least that's what i believe. It could be just a no good site.
BlueLight

Postby laa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Yes, it should, but the servers should be disposed of if anything. Not kept for study. That's a violation of every single persons privacy rights, who has ever used megaupload.

I don't actually care much for mega-upload itself, more for the censoring of the Internet, which this is the first action done towards in a row of many to come. That, and I've never heard of their evidence as of yet. The evidence that a piece of material was kept up regardless of notices of piracy acts, etc.
laa

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifho-IBt ... AAAAAAAIAA
Game play and has a lot about copy right law.... Epic i know. Anyways this is a objective guy who and it's great. Get through it and you'll know about half of what i know about copy right law.
BlueLight

Postby laa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 pm

AAAAARRGH! It's good, but that... BOOM! from the background is taking away my focus from the important stuff. Haha xD

Yea, Megaupload certainly deserved to get smacked over the head. I don't feel it was the right way to do it though. Especially when you see the vid in the top, other services that should be shut down for the same reason, isn't shut down.
Also, some other news: Filesonic disabled file sharing. :o
laa

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 am

Ya i noticed.

So with out names i can't tell you if i agree with who your talking about.
So Mega uploads was shut down basically for promoting piracy not for the piracy act it self. if they didn't promote such actions they'd still be up and running.
BlueLight

Postby laa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm

The example from the vid, cnet.
laa

Postby BlueLight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 am

Just to clearify my statement because i personally could tear it apart in seconds.

Mega uploads was taken down for promoting illegal acts. This is strangely (no it's not!) illegal. Now because they were promoting piracy the normal laws that protect them from people uploading pirated files to the website aren't in effect. So while yes they were taken down for piracy it's the act of promoting it that really got them. I'm also hearing about them not following some other guide line but i don't know much about it. Still in the realm of copy right though.
BlueLight

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:32 am

What strikes me as weird is that they were promoting piracy as you say, yet they were one of the better upload sites that had rules against uploading copy-written content and would respond to DMCA take down notices.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby BlueLight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 am

So sorry i've been stating second hand fact again.
I should i've at least said "My understanding of the facts are -" but your right. They would take down files because of DMCA notices ,however, from my understanding they were still leaving some files up. The case also might be that they were leaving the files on their server but were just letting the people who uploaded them download them.

Thank you trunks making me realizes i'm missing some factual information. I would look it up right now but i need to write a essay.
BlueLight

Return to General