Any one need a graphic designer?

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Any one need a graphic designer?

Postby BreathofFire » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 am

I would love to help any one on here who needs some one to do anything art or graphic design related
I have about 4 years of graphic design and 6+ years of art both self taught and have done projects for small business and a few organizations such as a sushi restaurant, a volunteer organization, a few high schools, a shoe company, book covers, and a few other places here and there.
as you can see by my avi I am a Luigi fan over Mario drawing it after the all so famous or not Mario Hyadainvideo who doesn't love the brother who goes around with a vacuum fighting ghosts like
"who you gonna call?"

any ways if you ever need a funny video to watch that you may or may not have seen or an artiest i be happy to help as you can see my avi is hand drawn but poor upload quality and the banner which is graphic design.
Ps, i am new here so go easy on me at first then kick me out once i do something really stupid... thank you >8U

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Location: 221B Baker Street (elementary my dear) * i hope you get the refernce if you don't i might be sad ;3;

Re: Any one need a graphic designer?

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am

trying out a spirit hmm looks bad... I will have to do better next time. lol

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Location: 221B Baker Street (elementary my dear) * i hope you get the refernce if you don't i might be sad ;3;

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:55 am

This is what i think i will work on,keep in mind this still a rough draft, but i think it will turn out nice i would love feed back though anything good bad and indifferent. and i rather put it more in general i think this really isn't creative forum material... lol any way take a look and tell me what you think so far.

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 am

The spirit (sprite?) isn't that bad however as a very avid pixel_artist myself I can't help but notice that the skirt is just a layer set to a transparency. Everything else looks good, but I suggest replacing the black with darker versions of the color they outline, this will soften the image all around and make it seem less jagged. It's one of the basic things I learned along the way that makes things pleasing to my eyes however that is just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing more of your pixel-art!

On a side note, sorry for approving the topics a little late, been super busy with school lately (had a 5 hour lab today)
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:46 am

No worries thank you for getting to them now, and thank you for the advice i'll try that next time in all honesty I never tried sprites before, so really that's my first try actually, but hmm defiantly will try out what you said... as for the lab i can understand what you mean goodness an a 5 hour one at that. It's cool you do as much as you do on here.
thank you again and here is to a fun time with a new awesome forum and group. Cheers

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 am

I have been doing pixel art for a really long time, but only really ever got serious about it in the last 6 or so years. Was mostly self taught before running into a bunch of professionals that taught me many cool things. As for the labs, well it is no longer in a type 4 lab, since I switched majors to something that doesn't involve the traditional sciences. As for most of the work, credit belongs to KatsuO_O who has been picking up a lot of the slack I left behind lately so next time you see him give him props too! If you ever have questions about pixel art or just want to chat about it shoot me a pm or email, I could talk for years non stop about pixel art, and unfortunately because of this forum can discuss things like how to make hentai sprites, though GC aka "ANooB" is pretty good too.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:05 am

Almost finished i need to touch it up a bit more, get the face a little more, clothing around the arms, and chest and highlight and darken the hair more, lol.... other then those things how is it so far?

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:09 am

When you resize sprites for showing, make it so that it samples by nearest neighbor. This is what allows it to stay in proportion as well as to maintain aspect ratio.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:14 am

Alright i'll keep that in mind thanks, it's nice to get some one who tells me how to improve for once rather then says "it looks good" and keeps it at that i like those yes but i never can grow off of it.
So thank you for the help for how to do better and improve myself.

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am

I am usually much harsher, ask ANoob about it. I tend to break things down to what I like, what I don't like, the reasons for why I like it, the reasons for why I don't like it, suggestions for improving, examples from different styles and from different artists, and sometimes I touch up sprites from time to time as well. I tend not to criticize thoroughly unless I know the artist reasonably well since criticism is something that is hard to come by as well as something that not everyone takes equally.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 am

good to know and i am always am eager for criticism so don't hold back on my account, if you’re going to break it apart go ahead if it's awful i want to know, heck i want people to tell me if my work sucks actually. Means i have work to do and means i can get better worst words i can hear actually is it's perfect, where am i to go then XD

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:09 am

As you wish master breathofire,

Overall lets break down both sprites seperately starting with the first of two sprites;

BreathofFire Wrote:Image

The first thing that must be noted is that you are going for what is assumed as a chibi styled character, whether you are erring on a more proportional versus non-proportional chibi is not readily available through it's presentation, arguably an issue in itself but I digress. Thus the first thing that comes across to my eye as off is the proportions. This is something that most people that do chibi styles has issues with and will take a few attempts to iron out the majority of the issues.

The majority of the proportions aren't too out of tempo with each other, the most notable being the size o the hands in relation to the feet, as well as the thighs, and to much of the rest of the body. The waist size in relation to the shoulders, ribcage has no definition etc.

Now that the armature of the sprite is more or less discussed, the next issue is the clothing, most of it is drawn super form fitting (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) however it doesn't have any creasing, or believable weight to it, it just seems like its colored on top of the body shape as opposed to hanging on the body shape. This is especially evident in the way the skirt conforms to the body. The flow of the shirt is not a bad thing, however could use for some additional ceases as well as more curvature to put greater emphasis in its motion from the direction you assume the wind to be blowing through.

The coloring of the clothes are also noticeable because it appears readily that you used three layers, a main armature for the body and at least on per clothing article (maybe even another for the facial details and one more for the hair) which is glaringly in contrast to the whole piece. There are many ways to do shearing effects, however if you use a layered approach try to err so that it is more opaque than transparent. Otherwise you can do a dithering effect that thickens towards edges and lightens towards the area you want to appear sheared.

On a side note, pay attention to where your lighting source is so that you do not pillow shade or symmetrically shade, as is the case with both hands.

The face isn't bad you did a good job of keeping the features smoothed out without using dark lines, which brings me to the final point i already brought up in the previous post. The easiest way to stop the glaring contrasts with the outer lines are varied, but the most common methods are the single line, two lined, and multi-lined approach. Single line approach usually uses the outer lines with one common color relevant to all the other colors (if you are working with a limited pallette, 8, 16, 32 this tends to be easier). The two lined method is one solid colored outline, while the other individual guide lines are just darker versions of the color they surround. An example would be a dark brown that surrounds the brown hair, and a dark blue that surrounds the blue skirt, while the absolute outer line would be one color (in your case black). Multi lined approach is the same without the single colored extreme outline.

Other than that be weary of where your source lighting is so that your highlights and shadows are in the proper places and consistant.

Lastly I forgot to mention that the hair (while nice and flowing) needs to be redrawn in how it connects to the head it appears to be something that is not fully attachd to the head, nor does it fully conform to it.

The things I like;
The hair movement is more or less good
The movement in the upper garment piece
The hair ornaments add a lot to the hair while not being too complex

The things I don't like;
Dark outer lines
Wonky arm/hand proportions
Skirt going in opposite direction to everything else

Things to improve;
The way clothes hang on parts of the body, but stay off of others, this is important for establishing where lighting should go, where folds should go, how movement in clothing should be dictated etc.

Additional readings;
How to draw manga; female figure Chapter 11 (clothing) (2nd edition, ill try and find a public use version)
Anything on source lighting should be helpfull
Posemaniacs for understanding muscles,
Any anatomy sites for muscle and skeleton studies

BreathofFire Wrote:Image

Much of the above will still apply. However since most of what I wanted covered is in the first section I'll be brief ( I will also keep in mind that its best quality re-sampling as opposed to by nearest neighbor so coloring and shading is suspect)

First thing that comes across is the symmetry. This is easier as an artist, I know how tempting it is, but once you get the hang of the human body it doesn't hold up as well. The curves aren't in the right place, arms are mostly straight, no joints, shoulders, elbows, wrists, same in the legs. There is a lack of ribcage and midriff. The clothing is very form-fitting however in this case the torso piece seems to work as a bustier/corset styled piece. The shading is symmetrical as well.

Face isn't bad but there is a recess along the eyes, the carries across where the bridge of the nose would be.

Once again the hair blurb applies here.

Anyway just a quick appraisal of things. Feels a lot less natural typing it up as opposed to talking face to face or in instant messaging settings but that is the majority of the feed back I have.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 am

thank you and with all this i will use it to make a better one at least i hope it will turn out that way well here goes something... hopefully not my sanity i already lost that once >8U marbles too need to put those into a better bag pffff any ways i digress thank you very much for the time you spend every word rings true clothing, colors, proportions, hair, and all the other things, i will go a lot slower this time and take it piece by piece maybe I'll go back to my old style and make it more into pixel art instead of trying a brand new style out of the blue.

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:39 am

Styles are something that will always shift and change. I have been doing pixel art forever, and one of the ways I learned is by mimicking other styles I liked, from advance wars to metal slug etc. I tried techniques from games, from other artists, from tutorials etc. One thing you should not do is give up studying and taking pride in what you do.

As for jumping head first into different styles; I just recently jumped into a 4 color palette from game boy (the green colors from the original fat game-boy) and mimicked the styles from the original final fantasy legends for my own game. The first of two sprites turned out super well (though everyone that I show it to thinks the damn robot has one leg instead of two) where as the second one was far superior in every way despite them being only 6 days apart. The only thing I refuse to do in that style is dithering since it takes away from the shiny mecha feel I am going for.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 pm

taking a character a made a while back changing the proportions a bit more blurring the hair melding the colors and not keeping it same as one side to the other, i do know it still needs a lot of work but it's closer to what i want
talking more on the drawing its self, i just colored it in quickly to get an idea of what colors i wanted to use...tiny shoes are really hard to draw pfff XD

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Looks pretty good, the lines are thick and the contrast on the black isn't as sharp as it could be but otherwise it seems to work, not sure how I liked the blurred hair though to be honest.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 am

All of you on here moderators, programmers, LoK team, the mysterious play shapes, and the admin are all very cool spending your time that you have to this site or when you do plus the other things you have I really do have to give you all props and once i get a lot better myself i would love to help out in any big or small way.
and as always thanks for the advice i will continue to try and get better and show what i can do, and hopefully make something eventually for you guys here or with you guys.
as I think i remember a person saying before on here a lot of people don't know what you guys do and how much effort you put into this, so thanks for all of it, as well as spending that bit of time even to give me advice.

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:48 am

Well the goal of the moderators besides moderating is to try and promote a working environment. I must admit we haven't been as effective as I would like to be but we have made progress. All this comes from Jay Steppes. When I first came to the forums one of my earlier posts I made a rude asshole-like comment and he called me out on it. The response he gave me was along the lines of "Who are you to decide who can and cannot post, who are you to try and decide what is good and isn't good." It was a misunderstanding on both our parts, I was just compiling graphic ripping from all the metroid games and wanted to make an archival thread uninterrupted by posts, but what he said basically resides with how I feel.

Forums, like their name sake, is for common interests to come together and for ideas to be born, a necessary and important aspect to any community. Since then we have made a tutorial section, expanded creative zone into areas for working on actual projects an feed back, an area for brainstorming and gathering data/knowledge. There are tutorials provided by people who do what they love to do and want to build a sense of community, Katsu has contributed the most in terms of tutorials in flash, and always gives feedback when he has the time. This also extends to non-moderating staff, important people being luftmallow, blaargh, corta when he was around, gorepete and the like.

Something some people don't look beyond is that this forum isn't just about a legend of krystal game anymore, its a go to site for all sorts of wealth and knowledge, people come here for fun to and even made an rp section.

Either way giant rant, thanks for the recognition, its the moments like this that make it more enjoyable that's for sure, especially when it is a heart-to-heart moment in one of the areas I have the most passion in; pixel art.
Thaedael

Postby BreathofFire » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:23 am

alrighty showing a bit of progression this time lol hmm not sure if it's getting better though.
hair still sucks
hmm so many steps so little time lol this is actually a lot of fun and fun to learn how to do it right wrong and little steps.
* and gotcha well hey glad you can take the rough comments though and continue on.

yes this is my design
BreathofFire

Postby Thaedael » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 am

I know its a dude, and most people will hate this suggestion, but have you thought about a long braided pony tail with a ribbon it? It is coming along super well XD already better than me in a few works =).
Thaedael

Next

Return to General