DWARF FORTRESS

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

DWARF FORTRESS

Postby bruiserdemon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 am

ok, it's been sitting on my desktop for three months now. how the hell do i play it?! i can barely understand most of what the readme says and it looks like a really interesting game but i cant understand how to play!
want to see my forum signature?
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

too bad.
bruiserdemon

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Postby BlueLight » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 am

Got the lazy newb Pack
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
Now this package has some files that act like viruses.

At link http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.ph ... msg2757270 which is something some one said and it makes sense from my experience before my anti virus pick up the software

Basically there is a hack that come with this package. If you scared it will do something to your computer go to in the LazyNewbPack folder LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.1]\LNP\Utilities and delete C-Hacks folder. should end any worry about virus.
It's a false positive.

DFHack is triggering the warning, because it alters the memory of a running program much like trojans. However, it is actually a legitimate open-source program.

Basically, you've just proven that your anti-virus program is spotting programs that mess with another program (excellent!), but we all know what DFHack does and what program it's hacking, so it's perfectly safe.

EDIT: Just to be clear, DFHack hacks DF, which is how it can do things like add liquids or count tiles of a certain material, etc.

Anyways unpack go in to the folder and double click "Lazy Newb Pack.EXE"
Code: Select All Code
TAB Options put everything on yes but for aquifers and exotic animals. You can put those two on or off.

Tab Graphics
I personally like Iron hand 0.57 over the default ASCII but i don't know about the others. Anyways i would install that so it's easier to see stuff.

Skip Utilities and go to advanced
FPS counter yes, Intro personally i say no, Windowed yes again personally and auto save set to seasonal (Note it will make a new save each time and you will have to remember which season and year your on. or you could make it yearly.
Might be a good idea to have a initial save to Yes . 

Once you got the options how I.. i mean you like them go and on the lower left hit play darwf fortress.
Anyway this is the way you play with all the tools needed to manage your fortress.

I just ask my friend 24 hours what the most complex game made in the last 5 years was and when i said Dwarf fortress his eyes became big and he kept saying yes, yes, yes. in agreement. You can tell he didn't think of anything.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby BlueLight » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 am

SEX MOD!!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63529.0

... I found that and thought... you got to be kidding me. Anyways try to understand the game before adding mods. It's already complex no need to add a mod just yet.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:52 pm

So i've really been playing this for a week now. I played it for about 2 weeks some months back and got the hang of it.
Anyways i started a new fortress today and i feel like a complete idiot.

So i start by finding that perfect spot. Mine happen to have: Deep & shallow metals, River, and clay (rethinking the clay but not much i can do)
Well i then i load up my guys with skills and items and set off for the new world.

Well first think i do is try to set up some stock piles(all items), I make a zone under pen and tell my dwarfs to dig at the other side of the river.
Well thats good and everything but it seems the area i told my dwarf to store my good and to dig were on the other side of the river and none of them wanted to swim. (god damn lazy people.)

Anyways so i figure this out and i decide since the spot across the river is just a spot for my trade depot i'll build my Main base first and them just bride over from there to my depot. Well i have 2 lvl 1 miners with bronze picks i believe and they have to mine 40 blocks of hard stone.

I'm about to dig out to the other side so i build my bridge and i notice that both my trading depot, and my base are 1 level to deep and if i open up the wall i will flood my Trading depot(Flooding this later when those hippie elfs come around) and fortress.(that might have been a trick of the eye now that i think about. I see another mistake coming to bite me the ass)

Okay get past that get my fortress dug out. Now i got to make a 2 bridge that that meet in the middle and later i can modify them so the retract one going north and the other south. I don't think the games like this since i need to bridge to start and end need a ledge and my idea was to get rid of the ledge at the end point. Gave up on that and just build a temp bridge across so my dwarf will start moving stuff. Get that built.
I come up with the idea of building floors in between where i want the other two bridges so i build off my temp bridge floors
The first floor gets built and it right of way crashes in to the river below. I leave the other floor to get built because i instantly forget it.
When it gets complete it also falls down taking my mason dwarf with it in to the river. Ignore it and soon after i get a message that my dwarf has died.
So to keep the jobs the mason needs to do i put my leader dwarf who has no working class skills what so ever as the new mason.
Get little shit done btw.

Anyways after that i build some more yada yada. My next mistake is that i tell my dwarfs to get rid some dirt by tunneling though it. It's just this patch of drit 5 by 5. No big deal. Soon one of them starts hacking away and i get a message saying one of my dwarfs has been crushed in a cave in. It seems if there is a floor above you, you have to dig it out first if it can't support it self.

Anyways mason and miner down in the first year.
Got 3 new people 2 of them uses less but 1 is a highly trained mason (better than my old). I set one of the useless to Miner and the other to planter.
BlueLight

Return to General